ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard Arrested

What are we doing here? If he is in fact guilty, I do not want this guy representing UT. This is not Oklahoma, we shouldn’t be celebrating woman beaters. We should be expecting attendance to drop if we keep him.

That being said, I’m still willing to let all the facts come out before I judge him. There is still a chance this is a legit self defense case, although my standard for self defense against a female is reasonably high. Like his life better have been in danger high. There is nothing a female can do short of use of a deadly weapon that can prevent a healthy man from doing the right thing by getting away.

If they do this(and I think it’s unlikely as Adam says) they are taking a HUGE chance, and it would have to be a situation where Beard understands he has ZERO margin for error going forward.
Why were the players out thanking fans for showing up after the game instead of singing the EOT? It's because the administration knows they have to keep attendance up or this thing goes south fast. The college game is no longer about virtue signaling to the faculty at other universities and other liberals around the country. It's about the money, and now more than ever. Beard is the quintessential homerun hire for UT Austin. Win and no one cares what the coach does in his personal life. Bill Self was recorded by the FBI offering payouts to players' families and he got a 2 game non conference suspension. That should have been jail time... it's bribery after all.... If you win, you're golden. They will shut this down and put the leash on Beard. The drinking and carousing will have to stop. He is about to be locked down by counselors.

Why were the players out thanking fans for showing up after the game instead of singing the EOT? It's because the administration knows they have to keep attendance up or this thing goes south fast. The college game is no longer about virtue signaling to the faculty at other universities and other liberals around the country. It's about the money, and now more than ever. Beard is the quintessential homerun hire for UT Austin. Win and no one cares what the coach does in his personal life. Bill Self was recorded by the FBI offering payouts to players' families and he got a 2 game non conference suspension. That should have been jail time... it's bribery after all.... If you win, you're golden. They will shut this down and put the leash on Beard. The drinking and carousing will have to stop. He is about to be locked down by counselors.
I’m sorry you are just way off base. Firing someone for getting arrested for domestic violence isn’t “virtue signaling to liberals” almost every major company in America would do that. That’s why a “morals clause” is in almost every high level exes contract in America. You have to protect tge institution.

Chris Beard is a good coach and a great fit at Texas but can we stop acting like we have to keep him because we couldn’t hire anyone else that could do the job and do it well? That’s just not the case. Texas could take 8-10 million if they wanted to and land a top tier coach.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I’m sorry you are just way off base. Firing someone for getting arrested for domestic violence isn’t “virtue signaling to liberals” almost every major company in America would do that. That’s why a “morals clause” is in almost every high level exes contract in America. You have to protect tge institution.

Chris Beard is a good coach and a great fit at Texas but can we stop acting like we have to keep him because we couldn’t hire anyone else that could do the job and do it well? That’s just not the case. Texas could take 8-10 million if they wanted to and land a top tier coach.
People with lots of money don't like uncertainty. Hiring an "up and comer" won't cut it for private equity. At the very minimum, I bet they keep him on a short leash and if it doesn't work out, they'll have an NBA head coach waiting to take over. They weren't expecting this and need to buy some time. This hope stuff on a coach isn't going to cut it anymore. Herman was the last "up and comer" we hire. If Beard wins, they won't have any issues with attendance but understand this, Beard won't be able to go back to his old life. The drinking and carousing will be over if he wants to stay the HBB coach at Texas.

People with lots of money don't like uncertainty. Hiring an "up and comer" won't cut it for private equity. At the very minimum, I bet they keep him on a short leash and if it doesn't work out, they'll have an NBA head coach waiting to take over. They weren't expecting this and need to buy some time. This hope stuff on a coach isn't going to cut it anymore. Herman was the last "up and comer" we hire. If Beard wins, they won't have any issues with attendance.
Did I say you have to hire an up and comer? No I didn’t. If Texas needs a new basketball coach(I think it’s more likely than not) and they are willing to spend 7-10 million dollars they could have one of the best coaches in the country.

You put a 9 million dollar offer on the table Jay Wright thinks about it. Mussleman probably takes it. You put a 10 million dollar offer on the table decent chance John Calipari is the HC at Texas

Did I say you have to hire an up and comer? No I didn’t. If Texas needs a new basketball coach(I think it’s more likely than not) and they are willing to spend 7-10 million dollars they could have one of the best coaches in the country.

You put a 9 million dollar offer on the table Jay Wright thinks about it. Mussleman probably takes it. You put a 10 million dollar offer on the table decent chance John Calipari is the HC at Texas
There's a lot of uncertainty even with those guys at a huge price tag. We'll see.

There's a lot of uncertainty even with those guys at a huge price tag. We'll see.
Lol all those guys I mentioned have equal or better resumes than Beard but there is “uncertainty” with them? Your like of thinking oh this is just way the hell off base.

At the current moment anyone not facing prison time is looking more “certain” than our current situation(no I don’t think Beard is going to prison you get the point however

You know I hate Mixon he stayed at blowu and is having a decent career in the NFL and played for a Super Bowl last year.....him hitting that girl has disappeared.

Lol all those guys I mentioned have equal or better resumes than Beard but there is “uncertainty” with them? Your like of thinking oh this is just way the hell off base.

At the current moment anyone not facing prison time is looking more “certain” than our current situation(no I don’t think Beard is going to prison you get the point however
I do and none of those guys you mentioned are coming here. I also see the view of the people with a vested interest. Namely, the university, PE, and the fans. At this point Beard looks like a goon. He is in trouble but would Tech hire him tomorrow? You bet they would.

Texas Tech is about to fire Mark Adams. It's going downhill fast there. Don't think this isn't a concern. It can happen anywhere. Texas has PE pressure on top of the usual pressure. CDC is between a rock and a hard place. We don't want to be giving money to PE firms because we are screw ups.

Mark Adams has lost the support of the donors at Tech in little over a year. It's going to be a complete rebuild there. The whole team is rumored to want to leave. Texas has donors and PE to please. I don't they are rolling the dice with any of the assistants this season. This situation is ugly but I guarantee you, they fear empty seats more.

You know I hate Mixon he stayed at blowu and is having a decent career in the NFL and played for a Super Bowl last year.....him hitting that girl has disappeared.
Different time and completely different situation. If Bob Stoops had punched his wife. He would have been gone.

I do and none of those guys you mentioned are coming here. I also see the view of the people with a vested interest. Namely, the university, PE, and the fans. At this point Beard looks like a goon. He is in trouble but would Tech hire him tomorrow? You bet they would.

Texas Tech is about to fire Mark Adams. It's going downhill fast there. Don't think this isn't a concern. It can happen anywhere. Texas has PE pressure on top of the usual pressure. CDC is between a rock and a hard place. We don't want to be giving money to PE firms because we are screw ups.

Mark Adams has lost the support of the donors at Tech in little over a year. It's going to be a complete rebuild there. The whole team is rumored to want to leave. Texas has donors and PE to please. I don't they are rolling the dice with any of the assistants this season. This situation is ugly but I guarantee you, they fear empty seats more.

I know John Calipari would come to Texas if you put a good enough offer on the table for him.

Different time and completely different situation. If Bob Stoops had punched his wife. He would have been gone.

The fact is he stayed at blowu, do you remember that receiver that knocked out that tennis player at the bar? He then got kicked off the team and transferred to Ariz ona. Any type of altercation

like that should be dismissed. And I do see both point of views.

Last edited:
Robo you are comparing apples to oranges. Yes there have been players who have done things like this and survived. However coaches are and should be held to a higher standard, and I will say I am not aware of a comparable situation to this. Maybe there is one that I’m forgetting but I don’t recall one. There have been coaches arrested for DUI’s and stuff like that but I’m not sure there has been anything like this.

Reactions: hookem777
You aren't understanding what I was saying.....any type of violence should be dismissed coach or player. But I also understand 2300 view as well and making sense when it comes to money.

You aren't understanding what I was saying.....any type of violence should be dismissed coach or player. But I also understand 2300 view as well and making sense when it comes to money.
2300 is completely way off. His point is basically that Chris Beard is the only coach that can turn Texas in to a power program, and therefore because of the money Texas has put in to basketball they have no choice but to keep Beard. That’s absolute insanity. There are a whole host of coaches that would do just fine at Texas who aren’t facing jail time

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
2300 is completely way off. His point is basically that Chris Beard is the only coach that can turn Texas in to a power program, and therefore because of the money Texas has put in to basketball they have no choice but to keep Beard. That’s absolute insanity. There are a whole host of coaches that would do just fine at Texas who aren’t facing jail time
look at me agreeing with kchorn on a basketball-related issue. however, i do think the longer this drags out...

can i now envision a scenario where he agrees to a lengthy unpaid suspension, during which time he agrees to "get help" (and not so-super-secret "cut all ties with that crazy b YESTERDAY AND FOREVER!!!")? again, the longer it drags out.

look at me agreeing with kchorn on a basketball-related issue. however, i do think the longer this drags out...

can i now envision a scenario where he agrees to a lengthy unpaid suspension, during which time he agrees to "get help" (and not so-super-secret "cut all ties with that crazy b YESTERDAY AND FOREVER!!!")? again, the longer it drags out.
Yea I do think it’s conceivable that he is suspended the rest of the year(he can’t coach another game this year at Min) he takes that time to get his affairs in order legal and otherwise. If that involves getting help with anger or drinking or whatever so be it, and he comes back next year with the understanding that he so much as picks up a parking ticket from now on he’s done. I do think it’s conceivable.

I want the truth.

Unfortunately, the longer this drags out, the more likely the truth will be blurred.

If the dude choked a woman-- unless she came at him with a machete or a 9mm-- fire his ass.
Even if she did he would need proof she came at him with a weapon. The police will always believe a woman over a man unless that man has video evidence.

A close friend works as an HPD officer and the stories he tells me are nuts. I also had a friend from my old neighborhood recently killed by his wife because she said he would abuse her. Let me tell you this guy would get pushed around by this chic back in the day. She was crazy BUT he stayed in that relationship and he was finally filing for a divorce...she just decided to end it sooner. She got away with it by saying he hit her and it's possible he did by trying to take the gun away.

Last edited:
All true, but also look at it this way. Is a private partnership going to want to deal with the backlash of employing a known wife beater(alegedly)Probably not. Baylor football moved on from Art Briles hired Matt Ruhle and we’re just as good. It can be done.

CDC is pretty good at hiring basketball coaches. His last 3
Jamie Dixon at TCU
Vic Shafer for women’s basketball
Chris Beard.

He will use the Texas money and the new momentum to go get a first class coach if he needs too
Your going to count Chris Beard as a "pretty good" hire in light of recent events? And, setting asid his personal life, after two years of bashing him?

Your going to count Chris Beard as a "pretty good" hire in light of recent events? And, setting asid his personal life, after two years of bashing him?
First of all I never “bashed him”. I’ve compared him to Rick Barnes who is going to the HOF, so while I’m not his biggest fan, and don’t think he’s the 2nd coming like many on here do. I do admit he’s very good.

I’m not going to use this to take some sort of victory lap, because my concerns about Beard have absolutely nothing to do with anything like this.

Most of us still regret bringing mixon back after the incident. He deserved a second chance, but somewhere else. A few more wins wasn't worth selling our soul. Not nearly worth it for most of us.
Absolutely I believe people are entitled to a second chance in most cases. That second chance doesn’t have to come at your original home though. In fact it’s almost better for both sides that it doesn’t

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
Y'all keep bringing up Mixon, but the more accurate comparison is Art Briles. That POS couldn't survive no matter how much support....and he only condoned player rapes. He never was caught laying hands on a woman.

Nothing saves Beard.

My opinion is , you cant keep Beard. Unless there is footage and proof for the public to see, it wont matter if he is convicted or not he cant stay. The bad press it would give the university is too much. This isn't a affair situation, this isn't a DUI or drugs even. This is a beating/choking your fiancé situation and the public will always see him as that. Its sad if he is in fact innocent but at the same time you are THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEAD BASKETBALL COACH. You CANNOT let something like this happen. You represent the school at ALL times. Again ill keep my opinions on if i think he did it or not to myself simply because, it doesn't matter. He is gone. The CDC will hire a big name coach to come in and try to save a ship that now has a semi truck size hole in the bottom.

My opinion is , you cant keep Beard. Unless there is footage and proof for the public to see, it wont matter if he is convicted or not he cant stay. The bad press it would give the university is too much. This isn't an affair situation, this isn't a DUI or drugs even. This is a beating/choking your fiancé situation and the public will always see him as that. Its sad if he is in fact innocent but at the same time you are THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEAD BASKETBALL COACH. You CANNOT let something like this happen. You represent the school at ALL times. Again ill keep my opinions on if i think he did it or not to myself simply because, it doesn't matter. He is gone. The CDC will hire a big name coach to come in and try to save a ship that now has a semi truck size hole in the bottom.
I don’t think the ship is sinking. I don’t even think the ship is taking on water here. Rodney Terry is an experienced coach. He’s been a HC and he’s been around the university for many years as well. This team is a very experienced team both individually and together. I think they’ll be fine for the season. The key will be CDC finding the right guy moving forward, and if you look at his track record no reason to think he won’t.

I don’t think the ship is sinking. I don’t even think the ship is taking on water here. Rodney Terry is an experienced coach. He’s been a HC and he’s been around the university for many years as well. This team is a very experienced team both individually and together. I think they’ll be fine for the season. The key will be CDC finding the right guy moving forward, and if you look at his track record no reason to think he won’t.
my "sinking" would be from what i think is going to happen recruit wise. I think a lot of guys are going to change their minds...I hope not though...i really hope not.

my "sinking" would be from what i think is going to happen recruit wise. I think a lot of guys are going to change their minds...I hope not though...i really hope not.
Gonna depend on who you bring in. If you bring in a big name which I think CDC will shoot for. Yeah some guys might change their mind, but other guys might decide to come here because of who the new coach is so it’s a two sided coin recruiting wise

Robo you are comparing apples to oranges. Yes there have been players who have done things like this and survived. However coaches are and should be held to a higher standard, and I will say I am not aware of a comparable situation to this. Maybe there is one that I’m forgetting but I don’t recall one. There have been coaches arrested for DUI’s and stuff like that but I’m not sure there has been anything like this.

Just a few weeks ago, an almost identical situation happened with Mickey Joseph. Joseph was the interim football at Nebraska. Right after they hired Matt Ruhle, Joseph was arrested for domestic violence. Granted a lame duck interim coach who was 3-6 is not the same as the coach of the #2 basketball team. Haven't kept up with that story, but many Husker followers were hoping Ruhle would retain Joseph.

I liked the hugs the players gave Coach Terry. Showed that there still may be some togetherness. Players got the talent. Just keep the heart and fight.

They went through a lot the other day. Give them time to process things and see what they can do.
I agree. They caught a break schedule wise. Don’t take the floor again till Sunday. So have a whole week to kinda decompress and refocus.

Questions on whether CDC can hire a top coach?... Was Beard a top coach when hired? I suspect CDC has much street cred and might have an easier time than some have suggested.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Questions on whether CDC can hire a top coach?... Was Beard a top coach when hired? I suspect CDC has much street cred and might have an easier time than some have suggested.
When CDC needed a basketball coach at TCU he went and got Jamie Dixon

When he got here and needed a softball coach he went and got a coach from a top 5 program

When he needed a women’s basketball coach here he went out and got a guy with a couple final 4’s on his resume

When he hired a men’s basketball ball coach he went and got Texas fans dream coach.
If he has to go get a new basketball coach. He’ll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT