ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard Arrested

That’s the part that I’m skeptical about. If your in Beard’s position and you know going to jail could cost you a lot of money and your dream job if you have evidence that gets you off the hook when the cops ask to see it why wouldn’t you show it to them? Only thing I can figure is he doesn’t actually have it, but who knows

Never talk to cops without a lawyer....EVER.

That thought crossed my mind too, but at the same time you’re just showing it to the cops(at that point) not sure why you would need legal advice.
I don't know how much jailhouse lawyer Beard has in him. Especially in a stressful situation like that. But assuming he does have a modicum of legal DNA, when he tells the cops he has exculpatory evidence on his phone and they want to look at it, if they get a look at it, it becomes evidence and subject to seizure. He might not want his phone in a police evidence locker, waiting for a forensic examination....

Let’s spin it forward a little bit though. Hell of an opportunity for Rodney Terry.
I liked him when he was here at UTEP. However, he didn’t have any good year in the 3 years he was here. I imagine he is not ready to be “the man” at a big school yet. We’ll see

I liked him when he was here at UTEP. However, he didn’t have any good year in the 3 years he was here. I imagine he is not ready to be “the man” at a big school yet. We’ll see
Yeah I mean his resume isn’t eye popping by any means. At the same time. It’s not like Fresno State and UTEP have a super long history of success either. He has a lot of experience both as a HC and with UT, and he has a veteran squad. Be interesting to see how he does.

I don’t think that true. If he had legit evidence that Hess innocent, or that the situation isn’t as it seems he has a chance to survive, but that’s probably the only chance he had.
Always wait for your lawyer. They will show them the evidence in a controlled environment, of course, after they have a chance to review it first. Smart move by Beard. Always wait for your lawyer to do anything when you’re busted.

Reactions: westx
That thought crossed my mind too, but at the same time you’re just showing it to the cops(at that point) not sure why you would need legal advice. I guess we will see though. If he does have evidence he probably doesn’t have long to produce it. CDC and the Texas brass are probably discussing options as we speak.

Let’s spin it forward a little bit though. Hell of an opportunity for Rodney Terry. Probably not the way he wanted it, but a potentially life changing opportunity none the less for him.
And you are the client all lawyers just roll their eyes.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
That’s the part that I’m skeptical about. If your in Beard’s position and you know going to jail could cost you a lot of money and your dream job if you have evidence that gets you off the hook when the cops ask to see it why wouldn’t you show it to them? Only thing I can figure is he doesn’t actually have it, but who knows
You should never talk to cops without a lawyer. My guess is he wanted to keep it and take it to his attorney.

You should never talk to cops without a lawyer. My guess is he wanted to keep it and take it to his attorney.
That may be the case. Like I said if he has it he’d be wise to show it to Texas Admin if nothing else because I imagine they are deciding what to do as we speak

Always wait for your lawyer. They will show them the evidence in a controlled environment, of course, after they have a chance to review it first. Smart move by Beard. Always wait for your lawyer to do anything when you’re busted.
Yeah. My only point of that post was if he indeed does have evidence it’s probably the only shot he has at keeping his job. Otherwise he’s done.

Yeah. My only point of that post was if he indeed does have evidence it’s probably the only shot he has at keeping his job. Otherwise he’s done.
My guess is when he took the arrest (what other choice did he have) he realized he was done. But even in the moment I’m sure his mind started thinking - contract forfeiture - lawyer up ASAP and don’t say as much as a popcorn fart until you consult. At this point he’s just trying to negotiate a buyout.

My guess is when he took the arrest (what other choice did he have) he realized he was done. But even in the moment I’m sure his mind started thinking - contract forfeiture - lawyer up ASAP and don’t say as much as a popcorn fart until you consult. At this point he’s just trying to negotiate a buyout.
Could be. Although I do think if he does indeed have evidence that frames this differently it could save his job. Mostly because Texas doesn’t want to fire him I’m sure.

Former Arizona and current Xavier coach Sean Miller isn’t going to face any sanctions from the NCAA… if I’m CDC he’s one of my top targets this spring.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Jay Wright would be my first call.
He’s probably be my first call too but sounds like he’s probably done coaching. Plus Texas would have to be willing to pay him more than their football coach most likely. Not sure they’d be willing to make that move.

He’s probably be my first call too but sounds like he’s probably done coaching. Plus Texas would have to be willing to pay him more than their football coach most likely. Not sure they’d be willing to make that move.
It's worth kicking the tires on that's for sure.

It's worth kicking the tires on that's for sure.
Yeah I mean if they are willing to pay a basketball coach 7-8 million dollars I’d make the call. Maybe the chance to recruit and coach the high level recruits is something that appeals to him.

He should've left the house. It's a no win situation even if she started it. Men will always get the blame. Only right thing he could've done is get in his car and sleep it off. This couldn't have been the first altercation but was probably the first to have gone to far.

Also what I've been to told by a lawyer is don't say crap to police. Their job isn't to find out if you are innocent.

Reactions: Lampasas
My brother is a criminal defense lawyer in Austin. He told me Perry Minton is Beard's lawyer.

He says he's as good as it gets if you can afford him. We should sit back and see how this plays out.

This is not over.

My brother is a criminal defense lawyer in Austin. He told me Perry Minton is Beard's lawyer.

He says he's as good as it gets if you can afford him. We should sit back and see how this plays out.

This is not over.
It’s not over as far as weather faces jail time or anything like that. Baring some evidence coming out that reframes the situation it’s very likely over in terms of his coaching tenure. I mean how many people go from suspended for something like this to back on the job? I’m sure it’s happened but those cases are rare.

He does have two things working in his favor. He’s liked at Texas and they don’t want to fire him. He’s gonna have to give them reason not to though. More than just “hey they dropped the charges! We good?”

This is not over.
With the information we have now I just can't see a path where he keeps his job. It would leave a pretty big scar on the university.

With the information we have now I just can't see a path where he keeps his job. It would leave a pretty big scar on the university.
Yep. The only path would be if he indeed has evidence that portrays him more as the victim than the perpetrator. He seemed to suggest to the cops he had such evidence.

The other path is if drinking was involved maybe if he agrees to seek treatment for it there would be a path to him coming back.

I think there is potentially a path for him fo come back but if it exists it’s very narrow

Yep. The only path would be if he indeed has evidence that portrays him more as the victim than the perpetrator. He seemed to suggest to the cops he had such evidence.

The other path is if drinking was involved maybe if he agrees to seek treatment for it there would be a path to him coming back.

I think there is potentially a path for him fo come back but if it exists it’s very narrow
His path is - field a Top 10 team.

His path is - field a Top 10 team.
Yeah I don’t think that’s enough. Not in this case. If he had gotten a DUI, or caught getting a BI from a hooker in the back of his car something like that I think you could have easily look past it…. This is a little harder to get past.

This is not over.
Agreed. But odd how long it’s taking for everyone to coordinate, discuss and negotiate the next step behind the curtain.

Y'all are forgetting that the Moody Center is a private partnership with the OVG. The OVG ponied up ALL the money to build the MC and is expecting a return. Do you think that going back to Shaka levels of attendance is an option? The revenue destruction done by firing Beard and replacing him with a substandard coach will be devastating. I do not see any coach that is not retired outside of Bill Self that will pacify the Alumni and fan base. I would say no on Musselman but maybe Mark Few. Outside of Self and Few will result in a collapse in attendance. Don't think that the offended liberals are going to get to shoot from the hip and fire Beard. I guarantee that the OVG is going to be in the "discussions".

OVG

It then gave that venue — the most expensive college basketball arena in history, costing roughly $380 million — to the university for free, with the promise that UT would never go backward on the revenue it made at its former basketball home, the Frank Erwin Center.

“I’ve never been this happy to give this much money away,” said OVG founder and CEO Tim Leiweke, smiling.

Beard may be an idiot but he ain't goin nowhere. If UT does fire him, expect lawsuits against UT by OVG when the next hire goes badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoboCocks21
Viola... money talks <OVG> and the bs walks.

... and the mee too bitches all died in a single moment. Win the big 12 this year and this all goes away like a fart in the wind.

Get him some personal help and get rid of the crazy GF. Put him on a leash.

Y'all are forgetting that the Moody Center is a private partnership with the OVG. The OVG ponied up ALL the money to build the MC and is expecting a return. Do you think that going back to Shaka levels of attendance is an option? The revenue destruction done by firing Beard and replacing him with a substandard coach will be devastating. I do not see any coach that is not retired outside of Bill Self that will pacify the Alumni and fan base. I would say no on Musselman but maybe Mark Few. Outside of Self and Few will result in a collapse in attendance. Don't think that the offended liberals are going to get to shoot from the hip and fire Beard. I guarantee that the OVG is going to be in the "discussions".

OVG

It then gave that venue — the most expensive college basketball arena in history, costing roughly $380 million — to the university for free, with the promise that UT would never go backward on the revenue it made at its former basketball home, the Frank Erwin Center.

“I’ve never been this happy to give this much money away,” said OVG founder and CEO Tim Leiweke, smiling.

Beard may be an idiot but he ain't goin nowhere. If UT does fire him, expect lawsuits against UT by OVG when the next hire goes badly.
All true, but also look at it this way. Is a private partnership going to want to deal with the backlash of employing a known wife beater(alegedly)Probably not. Baylor football moved on from Art Briles hired Matt Ruhle and we’re just as good. It can be done.

CDC is pretty good at hiring basketball coaches. His last 3
Jamie Dixon at TCU
Vic Shafer for women’s basketball
Chris Beard.

He will use the Texas money and the new momentum to go get a first class coach if he needs too

Viola... money talks <OVG> and the bs walks.

... and the mee too bitches all died in a single moment. Win the big 12 this year and this all goes away like a fart in the wind.

Get him some personal help and get rid of the crazy GF. Put him on a leash.
If they do this(and I think it’s unlikely as Adam says) they are taking a HUGE chance, and it would have to be a situation where Beard understands he has ZERO margin for error going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT