ADVERTISEMENT

Computer models favor gooners

The guy is probably just reciting talking points he's heard from others. He obviously didn't watch the game. You are correct, OU took the 11 point lead with 5 minutes left in the third quarter. Cincinnati did not even score in the 4th quarter and OU was not in jeopardy of losing that game.

You’re right. Reading up thread it makes more sense.

Is it because they've run up the score when possible? Their offense and defense look much improved over last year but haven't really had a quality statement as of yet.
Screenshot-20230925-202406-Chrome.jpg
Super models favor us gooners too it seems, at least they favor me

Reactions: oldhorn2
The computer models had us going 11-1 last year and we all know how that turned out. I'm not buying this OU team until I see them against a competent team with a competent offense. We haven't seen that yet.
Then you obviously haven't seen G-Freaky in action.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoookem722
I rewatched the Baylor game this morning.

We only have two options moving forward if we are going to beat Kansas, OU, BYU, K State, & TCU, and that is to either start games faster than we have been, or clean up all the mistakes that have cost us tds in each of the last games.
We have not scored more than 1 TD in the first quarter of any game.

We absolutely cannot afford - moving forward to start slow AND leave tds on the field due to stupid little mistakes.

One of these two things HAS to improve.

As far as the OU game, since the game ended last year I've been saying that no matter how good Texas is, or how average OU is, it is going to be incredibly difficult for Texas to match the type of will/desire/motivation OU is going to have going end to this game.
All year long "redeeming" their University and that historically embarrassing loss has been on their mind.
That type of motivation is hard to create artificially. It will be incredibly interesting to see if Texas can match it.

With that said, I think this Kansas game is going to tell us everything we need to know about the rest of the season.

I do not believe our passing defense has been tested yet. Thompson has been down right atrocious at times, along with others in the secondary, we have been beat on multiple deep balls.
The one thing that does make me feel a little bit better is that we are getting to the QB this year, and seem to be able contain the QB in way we have not been able to previously.

If this defense doesn't get lit up the entire game by Daniels, can continue our RedZone dominance, and can get off the field on 3rd down, then there really won't be much more any of us need to see. Again, this passing defense (secondary) is the only remaining question in my mind.

Even with everything I said about, "if we look good defensively against Kansas, we should win out" etc... I still think OU is our most likely loss, due to what I mentioned above. That 49-0 stuff is all over their facilities and has been their motivation all winter, spring, and summer.
A major key to the OU game will be starting fast, something we havent done, and something they are really good at.

Jay Lee
disagree

I do think it’s funny that OB and Inside Texas both constantly have multiple OU threads going between the paid boards and the free ones comparing teams, talking about the RRS, and talking about what OU fans think. Occasionally OU insider and Soonerscoop have similar threads about Texas/Texas Fans but not all that often outside of RRS week. Ketch also always gives his weekly opinion on OU’s team and I haven’t seen the same out of most of the OU insiders other than speaking in relation to what we’ll need to do to beat Texas…ie. “Texas’ DL looks good, the running game is going to have to be better in two weeks…etc”

I say all that as an OU fan posting here who’s been to every game since 2005 (rough year to start)…I’m obviously guilty of getting too into the rivalry lol. Just have thought it was kinda funny that Ketch and OB are giving OU so much airtime here when y'all are having what so far looks to be your best season since probably 2009.

No matter what happens next week, I hope both teams stick it to the big 12 and rematch in Arlington…will be hilarious. My big 12 hate has surpassed my desire for Texas to lose every game on the schedule this season lol.
nobody here cares what Ketch thinks

Reactions: oldhorn2
Weren’t y'all tied with Wyoming at home in the 4th quarter two weeks ago?

And almost got beat? OU held Cincy scoreless in the 4th and they never made it inside the 40. It wasn’t ever closer than 17-6.

Cincy’s 4th Quarter Drive summery:
INT
TO on Downs
Time Expires
...did you watch the wyoming game in the 4th? 21-0 Texas...

Weren’t y'all tied with Wyoming at home in the 4th quarter two weeks ago?

And almost got beat? OU held Cincy scoreless in the 4th and they never made it inside the 40. It wasn’t ever closer than 17-6.

Cincy’s 4th Quarter Drive summery:
INT
TO on Downs
Time Expires
Wyoming would beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs. That Cincinnati offense is atrocious. They got beat by Miami Ohio 😂😂

i am okay with the models. I read every post in this thread and it seems to me everybody had a some degree of accuracy (except Bell, we all know supermodels prefer Texas😁). If I were to summarize as of today (preKU/ISU), Texas fans would feel more confident if we could have scored more “on demand-ish” points against Rice/Wyo and ou would have more confidence if they had a W against a marquee or semi-marquee opponent.

Last edited:
This is a real simple game.

Whoever gets behind the chains, loses. Both teams can hurt you with a big play. Both secondaries are untested. Texas has a superior pass rush. But both teams have collective speed.

All things being equal- turnovers, penalties, time of possession etc-- this game comes down to 1st and 2nd down. If you are averaging 5+ yards on 1st down, you're going to win.
I honestly can't think of a match-up I've seen in the last few years that was easier to play out strategically.
Stay ahead of the chains. Make your 3rd downs 3rd and 1 or 2 yards to go--- and you win this game.

Get behind the chains and you're forced to sit int he pocket and complete a 15-20 yard pass for a 1st down, and your fvcked.

This ain't rocket surgery gents. It's football. It's a different match-up than any other like it.

Reactions: Phialpha31
Wyoming would beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs.

"Wyoming would beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs."

It's comments like this, vomited out without any supporting documentation that are the norm on message boards. Never mind that every single analytic and power rating system has Cincinnati better than Wyoming by anywhere from 7 to 12 points on a neutral field.

Wyoming, on their home field, was losing to Appalachian State 19-7 in the 4th quarter, and only won the game because of a fluke blocked field goal returned for a touchdown at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Midnight Toker

Whoever gets behind the chains, loses. Both teams can hurt you with a big play. Both secondaries are untested. Texas has a superior pass rush. But both teams have collective speed.

All things being equal- turnovers, penalties, time of possession etc-- this game comes down to 1st and 2nd down. If you are averaging 5+ yards on 1st down, you're going to win.
I honestly can't think of a match-up I've seen in the last few years that was easier to play out strategically.
Stay ahead of the chains. Make your 3rd downs 3rd and 1 or 2 yards to go--- and you win this game.

Get behind the chains and you're forced to sit int he pocket and complete a 15-20 yard pass for a 1st down, and your fvcked.

This ain't rocket surgery gents. It's football. It's a different match-up than any other like it.
One thing I am not feeling great about is the 38 minute to 21 minute Wyoming time of possession advantage.

Wyoming would beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs. That Cincinnati offense is atrocious. They got beat by Miami Ohio 😂😂

“Alabama’s offense is atrocious. They got beat by Texas!” - a random sec keyboard warrior, probably 😂.

i agree and id say the game comes down to Sacks. Whos Dline controls and dominates the line of scrimmage.

"Wyoming would beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs."

It's comments like this, vomited out without any supporting documentation that are the norm on message boards. Never mind that every single analytic and power rating system has Cincinnati better than Wyoming by anywhere from 7 to 12 points on a neutral field.

Wyoming, on their home field, was losing to Appalachian State 19-7 in the 4th quarter, and only won the game because of a fluke blocked field goal returned for a touchdown at the end of the game.
Same National champion App St who beats d1 schools all the time? ya dont say?!?!

Same National champion App St who beats d1 schools all the time? ya dont say?!?!

"All the time?"

They beaten four FBS teams in the last 16 years, and only two of them were ranked at the time. Really, only one was truly a good team, the Michigan team back in 2007. Texas A&M turned out to be a joke, finishing at 5-7.

So, a more appropriate statement would be something like "Same App. State team that is currently 2-2, and tied for 8th place in the Sunbelt Conference last year with a 3-5 record.

Regardless the point of the argument is would Wyoming beat Cini and i agree they would. Cinci's qb was atrocious

In your opinion, Wyoming would beat Cincinnati. If they played on a neutral field, Cincinnati would be favored by about 10 points. They're playing at BYU this week, not an easy place for a visiting team, yet Cincinnati is favored by 2 points.

As for Cincinnati's quarterback, Emory Jones, who you say is "atrocious", he is a 6th year senior and actually pretty solid. He was under duress for most of the game last week, which wasn't his fault.

Last edited:
My take on OK. After the season Marvin Mims their fine receiver was talking about the huge change in how Venables did things in comparison to Reilly. He said a lot of players complained. Some transferred before he was even named. At the end of the season a lot of players transferred. So now he has a team that appears to have bought in to his philosophy.

They lost 7 games but aside from the blowout losses to TCU and Texas the other 5 games were by 3 points each they all went down to the last possession and every time their defense didn't the job done in the end. I see Venables 2nd season similar to Sarkisian's 2nd season. With us it was our ol for OK its their defense.. One player I'll be watching for them this year is Peyton Bowen a 5* safety out of Denton who fell into their lap on signing day.

Really the big question I have about Oklahoma is Ted Roof their DC. He was on his 6th team in 6 years when Venables hired him. And how can Jeff Lebby pick up where Reilly left off? Also Jay Valai who was a cb coach at Texas Herman's last year is now the cb coach at OK I'll be watching that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT