ADVERTISEMENT

Dear aggies

Would be a good hire. I don’t know that it would be “scary”. The “scary”hire would be if they were able to snag urban or someone like that(they won’t)
the game has passed urban by. If he ever came back he wouldnt win.

the game has passed urban by. If he ever came back he wouldnt win.
Oh I don’t agree with that. I’m not the biggest Urban Meyer fan. I was very much against him coming here, but he would still be very successful.

So if Aggie moves on from Jimbo and it sounds like they probably will. Who do they get?

The natural hire is mike Elko. He was the DC there. You’ve heard Kiffin but he’s got a pretty nice gig going in Oxford. Unless they just have him a boat load of money that doesn’t appear likely.

To be honest if I were the AD at Michigan state, A&M, Michigan(if Harbaugh leaves) I’d be calling Lance leopold at Kansas. Dude can just flat coach
The Kansas guy has worked a miracle. The question is - if we've learned anything in the last couple of years - did he catch lightning in a bottle. See - Aranda/Baylor, Jimbo/ATM, Mel/Mich.St. At some point these schools are going to get wise to giving gigantic long term contracts to guys with a one fantastic year track record (albeit Jimbo was a little different, but the same idea).

The Kansas guy has worked a miracle. The question is - if we've learned anything in the last couple of years - did he catch lightning in a bottle. See - Aranda/Baylor, Jimbo/ATM, Mel/Mich.St. At some point these schools are going to get wise to giving gigantic long term contracts to guys with a one fantastic year track record (albeit Jimbo was a little different, but the same idea).
The problem was Jimbo really wasn’t that good at Florida state. He had won a title but that was 4 seasons before A&M hired him. They were ready to run him out of town. You all did them a favor lol.

It’s fine to go out and get a big name but it has to be the right guy. You can’t just go out and get a big name just because he’s a name, and that’s what the Jimbo hire was.

The problem was Jimbo really wasn’t that good at Florida state. He had won a title but that was 4 seasons before A&M hired him. They were ready to run him out of town. You all did them a favor lol.

It’s fine to go out and get a big name but it has to be the right guy. You can’t just go out and get a big name just because he’s a name, and that’s what the Jimbo hire was.

Im no Jimbo fan, but below was his record at FSU. He had the one bad year which was his last year, but other than that he had a great record. He was about as close to a sure thing HC hire as you can get.

10–46–21st (Atlantic)W Chick-Fil-A1617
2011Florida State9–45–3T–2nd (Atlantic)W Champs Sports2323
2012Florida State12–27–1T–1st (Atlantic)W Orange810
2013Florida State14–08–01st (Atlantic)W BCS NCG11
2014Florida State13–18–01st (Atlantic)L Rose65
2015Florida State10–36–22nd (Atlantic)L Peach1414
2016Florida State10–35–33rd (Atlantic)W Orange88
2017Florida State5–6[n 1]

Im no Jimbo fan, but below was his record at FSU. He had the one bad year which was his last year, but other than that he had a great record. He was about as close to a sure thing HC hire as you can get.

I get it, but Florida state wasn’t fighting to keep him. When your targeting a coach, and that coaches school is like “yeah go ahead and go” should probably give you pause.

I get it, but Florida state wasn’t fighting to keep him. When your targeting a coach, and that coaches school is like “yeah go ahead and go” should probably give you pause.
I agree with that. FSU didnt try to keep him, match his offer, give him new facilities, nothing. They were ok with letting him go. Seemed very weird at the time but Aggies ignored the warning signs.

I agree with that. FSU didnt try to keep him, match his offer, give him new facilities, nothing. They were ok with letting him go. Seemed very weird at the time but Aggies ignored the warning signs.
Yep and Florida State is back in the national picture and Jimbo is about to get run out of town… whatever they knew they were right.

What in hell do you mean FSU wasn't fighting to keep him?..
He quit! In the middle of the season!

He was not the coach anymore!

Who besides aggu would even touch him?

What in hell do you mean FSU wasn't fighting to keep him?..
He quit! In the middle of the season!

He was not the coach anymore!

Who besides aggu would even touch him?
Jimbo kept asking FSU for newer facilities, more money for his staff etc, and they never gave him what he wanted. Sounds like they really didnt care if he left.

Jimbo kept asking FSU for newer facilities, more money for his staff etc, and they never gave him what he wanted. Sounds like they really didnt care if he left.
Yep reportedly it had been an ongoing battle for a couple years. They never gave it to him. They didn’t want to fire him and have to pay him, so they were hoping someone would hire him, and someone did

like shawn watson. nebraska warned us
Oh yeah. I knew that was trouble as soon as it was announced. Everywhere Watson had been they hated him. You know it’s always been rumored that the choice back then was either Charlie Strong or James Franklin. I’ve always wondered where we’d be had they went with Franklin Franklin hasn’t won huge at Penn state but he’s won a lot of games at Penn state, and won at Vandy. I don’t know what he would of done at Texas but willing to bet he would of probably done better than Strong and Herman

Reactions: freeper

Jimbo's biggest problem is he's still trying to run an offense from the early 2000's and his ego won't allow him to hire someone with modern ideas. He's as good of a recruiter as there is in college football. Arrogance has been his downfall though. The Petrino hire was just a front. It's obvious Jimbo still has his hands in things.

The Aggies haven't won a road game in over 700 days. That's just insane to me!

Brent Z is a well known Aggie lover and Jimbo apologist.
I recognize that name from my San Antonio days. He's definitely an aggie. The SA Express was filled with writers with no talent. Roy Bragg was another aggie clown from back in the day.

His columns on Titanic Thompson were classic. I was sorry he never wrote. Book about him...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT