ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (30,000-foot view of 2019 recruiting ...)

The same LSU team won the national title the next year.

The win at Kansas State was one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen from a Texas player.
Agree. Remember his finger getting dislocated, running to the sideline to have it popped back in, and going straight back in the game. This is also the guy who finished a pro football game with a ruptured spleen. Yeah he’s a real Longhorn embarrassment who deserves ridicule.:rolleyes:

The same LSU team won the national title the next year.

The win at Kansas State was one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen from a Texas player.

It wasn't the same LSU team at all. No more than 2009 and 2010 Texas were the same team even though only one year separated them. The lost 5 games and beat exactly 0 opponents that finished ranked. The SEC was garbage that year. Alabama won 10 games and beat zero teams that finished ranked.

And gutsiest performance? Simms was average against K-State. 13-24 for 184 yards. Two TDs and one interception. 4 carries for -15 yards. The defense won that game by holding K State to 14 points and by limiting Ell Roberson to 23 yards rushing on 29 carries. Marcus Tubbs shutting down the middle and blocking the field goal are the main reason we won.

Agree. Remember his finger getting dislocated, running to the sideline to have it popped back in, and going straight back in the game. This is also the guy who finished a pro football game with a ruptured spleen. Yeah he’s a real Longhorn embarrassment who deserves ridicule.:rolleyes:
Simms' high points rarely receive the same romantic portrayal. I mean... he absolutely blistered A&M in his starts.

It wasn't the same LSU team at all. No more than 2009 and 2010 Texas were the same team even though only one year separated them. The lost 5 games and beat exactly 0 opponents that finished ranked. The SEC was garbage that year. Alabama won 10 games and beat zero teams that finished ranked.

And gutsiest performance? Simms was average against K-State. 13-24 for 184 yards. Two TDs and one interception. 4 carries for -15 yards. The defense won that game by holding K State to 14 points and by limiting Ell Roberson to 23 yards rushing on 29 carries. Marcus Tubbs shutting down the middle and blocking the field goal are the main reason we won.
I guess I recall that KSU game differently than you did.

That 2002 LSU team was loaded with talent and had the greatest coach of all-time directing it.

+2, love stories like that. It also make me read all comments in the thread, to see who identifies the player.

I had a wonderful mom and dad, but my mom was such a badass mother, she overshadowed my dad. Glad you had an amazing mother too.
+3 -- keep story time

Simms' high points rarely receive the same romantic portrayal. I mean... he absolutely blistered A&M in his starts.

I liked Simms. He was average his first three years and above average his senior year.

But he was terrible against OU and was singlehandedly responsible for us losing the conference to Colorado and a ticket to the national title game.

Blistering two bad aggy teams twice doesn’t make up for that. Although it was fun.

He and major are pretty comparable IMO.

"No. 10 – And Finally ...

Just wanted to give a shout out to my mom, who was both the mother and the father in my life throughout my entire life.

Pregnant at 17 and without a college education or any financial security to lean on, she was able to lift us up into another stratosphere when it comes to the available possibilities and opportunities that became available in our lives.

Thanks mom for being a great mother and a great father at the same time. I wouldn't go back and change a thing."

Congrats to your mother. She deserves a round of applause!

Reactions: RTR
Based on... his pro career?

Or based on:

“One of the most successful quarterbacks ever to play for Texas, Layne was selected to four straight All-Southwest Conference teams from 1944–47, and was a consensus All-American in his senior year. World War II caused a shortage of players, and rules were changed to allow freshmen to play on the varsity, thereby allowing Layne a four-year career.[2]

And:

James Brown record at Texas 25-13-1
Bobby Lane record at Texas 28-6.

Last edited:
Or based on:

“One of the most successful quarterbacks ever to play for Texas, Layne was selected to four straight All-Southwest Conference teams from 1944–47, and was a consensus All-American in his senior year. World War II caused a shortage of players, and rules were changed to allow freshmen to play on the varsity, thereby allowing Layne a four-year career.[2]

And:

James Brown record at Texas 25-13-1
Bobby Lane record at Texas 28-6.
One era was just a little more challenging than the other.

@Ketchum thanks as always for the great piece . 2 questions - you’re very high on Hand but none of his past employers are( I know it could be left me syndrome) but who and what has he produced ? Outside of Auburn, that’s all I know of him.

How do you compare Rattler , Rising ( huge Rising fan , so why I include him but Spencer seems to be the next big deal) and Johnson? Also, why did the new AZ commit have nice offers but no one was infatuated with him ? Thank you in advance.

Was Ketch comparing lore from another era or caliber of player? Layne was incredible for his time and rightly recognized, but that was over 70 years ago. Football and players have changed amazingly in the ensuing years [and lest I be accused of being too young to get it, I am 72 and recall personally watching Layne playing pro with the Lions]. Layne's place in UT history is secure.

I can't tell what Ketch was doing. He kept insisting Layne was being lauded for his pro work, when Layne was a two time college All American and the only Texas qb in the College Hall of Fame. Not to mention the Cotton Bowl all decade team, the Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame, etc. I am sure Vince will likely join him, but right now Bobby Layne is the only Texas qb in the college Hall of Fame and the next tier guys he compared him to are simply not even an after thought for either HOF or All American honors.
The real debate should be who was a bigger douchebag. Chance or Nordgren.

So Patterson knew before he hired him? Ok.... I just really wondered if he was a gambling man.
No, I think they were completely caught off guard.
You should remember the biggest games in a player and program’s history . I was there and Simms single handily gave the title opportunity away. And Chance never started more than around 7 games. His only saving grace was the ref that gave him the Tech game.

This week's story centers on a player that played at Texas under Mack Brown, who would go down as one of the most popular players in the history of the program as far as I'm concerned and eventually played on Sundays

Anyway, this particular player was on an official visit to Colorado back when Colorado was still pretty good. At the time, the player had been leaning to Texas when he took this particular official visit, but he wanted to enjoy the recruiting process, planned to take all five official visits and try to keep an open mind. If there was a No. 2 school, it was Texas A&M, which had a commitment from one of his teammates.

Going with Jordan Shipley. He checks all boxes, except I don’t know he took an official to boulder.

One era was just a little more challenging than the other.

I don’t think anyone doubts that but 4 years of all-conference and an all american is incredibly impressive compared to what Brown did. Ultimately it’s simply your opinion compared to mine but you seemed to think Layne was only being mentioned as too low based on his professional accomplishments when he accomplished much more than Brown at the collegiate level.

BUY or SELL: If the starting QB (or starting combo) performs no worse than the third best QB in the Big 12 this year, Texas wins 10 regular season games.

Sell?

Translate this to last year and you have your answer. we wouldve beaten usc, osu maryland, tech and possibly OU. QB turnovers resulted directly in 3 losses in usc osu and tech. Everyone looks to OL as primary concern but QB play was well below avg.

Translate this to last year and you have your answer. we wouldve beaten usc, osu maryland, tech and possibly OU. QB turnovers resulted directly in 3 losses in usc osu and tech. Everyone looks to OL as primary concern but QB play was well below avg.

For sure, but a huge reason why young quarterbacks struggle is due to the speed of the game and the need for it “to slow down”. The best way for that to happen is by having a solid run game and giving the young QB time. Our QBs had none of that.

I don’t think anyone doubts that but 4 years of all-conference and an all american is incredibly impressive compared to what Brown did. Ultimately it’s simply your opinion compared to mine but you seemed to think Layne was only being mentioned as too low based on his professional accomplishments when he accomplished much more than Brown at the collegiate level.
Except he didn't.

Except he didn't.

Can you expand a little on what you mean? I’m seeing that Brown was:

1995 SWC Offensive Player of the Year
1995 All-SWC First Team
1996 All-SWC Honorable Mention
1997 Blue-Gray All Star Game MVP

That doesn’t seem to measure up to BL who has his number on DKR and is in the college football hall of fame. I don’t see JB reaching either of those so I feel like you are definitely going against the historical grain.

Last edited:
Can you expand a little on what you mean? I’m seeing that Brown was:

1995 SWC Offensive Player of the Year
1995 All-SWC First Team
1996 All-SWC Honorable Mention
1997 Blue-Gray All Star Game MVP

That doesn’t seem to measure up to BL who has his number on DKR and is in the college football hall of fame. I don’t see JB reaching either of those so I feel like you are definitely going against the historical grain.
Bobby Layne played in an era where the competition was significantly weaker.

Nothing he ever accomplished is more significant than the two best skins on Brown's wall - the last SWC title and the first Big 12 title.

For sure, but a huge reason why young quarterbacks struggle is due to the speed of the game and the need for it “to slow down”. The best way for that to happen is by having a solid run game and giving the young QB time. Our QBs had none of that.

That does not explain - 1) qb sneak fumble 2) weak lob up in the air interception - both 100 percent causal to 2 losses.

I have never known Chance to call himself "The Mock".
He came up to a group of us at Cain & Ables and asked a friend of mine from high school if she wanted to have a drink with “The Mock”. Maybe it was a one time thing, but I got the impression he had done it before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT