ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A 2024 way of looking at 2023)

Spider-Man was probably the worst movie I have ever seen. My nine year old and his friend both fell asleep about 20 minutes in.

I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty universally loved.

Saw Barbie today with my mom, wife, and youngest daughter. They loved it, and honestly I thought it was great fun. The movie certainly will become a tent pole moment for many women regarding empowerment. If it had any flaws, I would highlight the heavy handed, overly simplistic, and fairly one sided perspective on the complex relationship between men and women in modern America. But, I get it and think in a 2 hour movie where you can't pull your punches, it was on point and fairly honest, even if I didn't agree with all the perspectives and wish there was room for a more complex dialogue. Definitely want my oldest daughter to see it, as this is the world she will inherit, warts and all.

Can't wait to see Oppenheimer. Love almost all of Nolan's work. My grandfather on my mom's side was a nuclear engineer and grad student at Columbia during the war. He worked on the Manhattan project and was at Los Alamos. Can't wait to see it come to life and imagine his feelings on the project and what they created. He died when I was young, and I never got a chance to discuss with him in anything other than a superficial capacity.
Good stuff. I think you'll love Oppenheimer. It might be his best work.

Reactions: LonghornLeghorn
With the 12 team playoff starting in '24, I know that 6 spots are reserved for conference champions. Is there a caveat that the 6 have to be in the top 12, so the field will be the top 12, or is it the 6 plus the 6 non-champs that are highest rated?

If it's the latter, then it means the non-champs will have to be top 10 or 11.

With the 12 team playoff starting in '24, I know that 6 spots are reserved for conference champions. Is there a caveat that the 6 have to be in the top 12, so the field will be the top 12, or is it the 6 plus the 6 non-champs that are highest rated?

If it's the latter, then it means the non-champs will have to be top 10 or 11.
A;; six major BCS teams were in the top 12.

Does the coaching staff know they are getting their butt kicked in recruiting or do they just like the lower ranked players?
The simplicity of this statement is disturbing because it is reflective of many of this board.

I completely disagree with the thought that national recruiting services (or recruitniks on OB) know more than the coaching staffs. I believe some on the OB staff has made comments essentially saying that they (the recruiting services see the recruits more) implying they know more.

Anyone who thinks that our coaching staff isn’t working their buts off is either delusional or just plain stupid.

When it comes to selecting talent to fit the schemes and systems of our defense and offense, I happily trust their opinions far mor than anyone on OB, including the mods.

Ketch mentioned the (media generated) controversy around the film. I think it's because the film's point that kidnapping & child sex slavery is about to become or already has become the No.1 money making trade of the cartels, more than drugs. That fact calls into question the policy of an open border which not only allows the trade to flourish, but encourages it. So the media has to attack the film, else their support of Biden's policy makes them look criminally stupid.

Ketch mentioned the (media generated) controversy around the film. I think it's because the film's point that kidnapping & child sex slavery is about to become or already has become the No.1 money making trade of the cartels, more than drugs. That fact calls into question the policy of an open border which not only allows the trade to flourish, but encourages it. So the media has to attack the film, else their support of Biden's policy makes them look criminally stupid.
I didn't mention anything.

Aren’t the days of focusing so much on Texas HS players in recruiting over?
Sark is pulling in talented kids from Cali, Louisiana, Arizona, Fla, etc.
As long as Sark gets the players that he wants, I do not give a damn in none of them are from Texas.

Arch Manning doesn’t make your list of freshmen that will play? Obviously short of injury to Ewers, no one expects him to start, but I think it is ridiculous to not include him on the list of freshmen that will play.

Aggy will have their NIL bags locked and loaded for Simmons, Black and Wingo at their pool party.

We have our grandson for a couple of weeks this summer. Took him to see the Spider-Man movie. It is easily one of the 2-3 worst movies I have ever seen. Only Joe vs. the Volcano is the only one that comes to mind that may be worse. It was 2:30 long…..at least 45 minutes to long.

1K3j.gif

Yes, starting next year the goal is to make the playoffs. BUT, being in the Top 12 doesn't always do that because of the Participation Trophy given each year to the best of the Group of 5 teams. Remember 6 conference champions go to the playoff each year. And since 2014 when the CFP started, five teams would have made the playoff as a conference champ who were not in the Top 12. # 20 Boise St (2014). # 18 Houston (2015). # 15 Western Michigan (2016). # 25 Oregon (2020). #16 Tulane (2022). So what our goal really needs to be is in the Top 11.

And here are a few somewhat non traditional power teams that would have made the playoffs since 2014 if the new system had been in place. A few of these qualify as real surprises.

2014-Baylor, TCU, Michigan St, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Arizona, Kansas St.
2015-Stanford, Iowa, Michigan St, North Carolina, TCU
2016-Colorado
2017-Miami
2019-Baylor, Utah
2020-Iowa St, Indiana, a&m
2021-Mississippi, Pitt, Oklahoma St, Baylor, Michigan St
2022-Kansas St, TCU, Utah, Tennessee

Reactions: txfight
I write about the things that matter...
How about going down another rabbit hole on development?. What are the trends shared by those who reach or exceed expectations and shared traits of those who fail based on rankings.?

Aren’t the days of focusing so much on Texas HS players in recruiting over?
Sark is pulling in talented kids from Cali, Louisiana, Arizona, Fla, etc.
As long as Sark gets the players that he wants, I do not give a damn in none of them are from Texas.
No, the days of focusing on the top Texas kids each year is not over?

That's a disaster of an ideology.

Arch Manning doesn’t make your list of freshmen that will play? Obviously short of injury to Ewers, no one expects him to start, but I think it is ridiculous to not include him on the list of freshmen that will play.
I listed the guys I thought would play the most. It's not a complete list of all freshmen.

Reactions: drewpercival
We have our grandson for a couple of weeks this summer. Took him to see the Spider-Man movie. It is easily one of the 2-3 worst movies I have ever seen. Only Joe vs. the Volcano is the only one that comes to mind that may be worse. It was 2:30 long…..at least 45 minutes to long.

exactly GIF

How about going down another rabbit hole on development?. What are the trends shared by those who reach or exceed expectations and shared traits of those who fail based on rankings.?
Where there are trends, I most certainly try to find them.

Maybe, hadn't thought about it yet.
Would be awesome to see you and Looch do a podcast to pass the doldrums of spring-new season. Longhorn/ Aggie perspective on everything.

Not sure if you all are friends though to make it happen. Ratings would be off the charts I’m sure.

Reactions: john04
B/s Anthony hill’s experience as an Aggie flip to the good guys has/will help us fend off little brother for Texas leans we may have been in more danger of losing in past seasons (i.e. Simmons/Black)

My son and I watched Oppenhiemer, my wife and daughter watched Barbie. My son and I loved our choice both my wife and 13 year old daughter thought Barbie was horrible. My niece watched both on them the same day and I know she loved Oppenheimer, I honestly don’t know what she thought about Barbie yet.

3. Past Lives

It's a modern-day love story that feels completely authentic in every way. It's well-acted, well-directed and well-told. By the end, I don't even know what I am supposed to feel, but man, it makes you feel.

Nailed it. Saw it and can’t quit thinking about it.

Reactions: Ketchum
I didn't mention anything.
I have not.

That's the one with Jim Caviezel? I've heard mixed things.
Sorry, I was putting words in your mouth. I assumed you were referring to the media controversy, but maybe it was about it being a documentary reenactment, interesting, even thought provoking, but not light entertainment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT