ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A burnt orange kind of weekend)

Ketch, as a diehard Cowboys fan, Jones' stupidity as a general manager knows no bounds. Saying Romo has another 4-5 years is ****ing ludicrous. I respect his accomplishments as an owner and his business savvy as a marketer are second to none. But he has to be THE WORST GM in pro football history. He makes the same mistakes over and over. He knows jack shit about team building, he doesn't value character or substance but only flash. He can't draft or evaluate talent at all. Bringing on Hardy last year was... There are no words. Incompetent?
Two years ago he was GM of the Year. ;)

Shaka Smart helps support my argument against Strong.

The goal is to find an elite coach. History has proven that when you do find someone elite, it becomes evident very quickly.

That's my fear why Charlie might not be the guy.

Reactions: DanielSucks
Shaka Smart helps support my argument against Strong.

The goal is to find an elite coach. History has proven that when you do find someone elite, it becomes evident very quickly.

That's my fear why Charlie might not be the guy.
100-percent fair.

I totally understand your point, but I'm telling you that Dallas is still all-in on Romo. ALL-IN.

I believe you, and I think you'd have to be for this season even if you draft Goff. Give Goff at least a year to transition to the NFL. But I stand by my approach as the wisest long-term, which means drafting Goff this year, not a DL or CB.

That's just part of the institutional racism in play. The movie studios are as much to blame as anyone because they don't make movies or give parts out to black people very often that don't go beyond stereotypes or basic roles.

It's like when the discussion of Idris Elba of being "too street" to play Bond was in full force. What's really being said there happens far too often inside the industry..

And a Tennessee hillbilly would be no more appropriate for playing Bond.

There's no getting around the silliness that is trying to approach problems in that city without attacking multiple issues on multiple fronts, all at the same time.

Again, you're not going to hoodwink me with the, "No reason to even try focusing on anything else until blacks stop killing blacks" line of thinking for about a million reasons.
Not trying to hoodwink anyone or saying do nothing until the violence problem subsides. But I will state that the violence problem will absolutely mitigate the effectiveness of any other efforts. Until people feel safe they can not florish.

Not trying to hoodwink anyone or saying do nothing until the violence problem subsides. But I will state that the violence problem will absolutely mitigate the effectiveness of any other efforts. Until people feel safe they can not florish.
It can't be an either/or situation. That's my point. No one would suggest crime, especially violent crime needs to go down, but there's a huge conversation with lots of layers that need to be discussed when we talk about a city failing in such a way. The people in that neighborhood often start life with an 0-2 count from the moment they are born and it can seem like Randy Johnson in his prime is on the mound in terms of systematic hurdles that exist for people that can't escape them.

Geoff, my list of EWF favorites would look just about like yours, perhaps with a shuffle or two. Sometime in 1987, I was shooting hoops, alone, at about 5:30 in the afternoon, in the the gym of the now defunct Texas Club, in downtown Houston. A guy enters the gym and asks me if he could shoot around with me. He extended his hand in greeting and says, "Hi, I'm Philip Bailey". Being a horn player since I was a child, I've always loved Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears and Earth Wind and Fire. He told me that he was in town to do a show with Phil Collins that night. We shot around for about 15 or 20 minutes before he left to go back to his hotel room to get ready for his show. He was quite affable, and totally unpretentious. If you've never watched EWF's "99 by Request Concert", on YouTube, it's guaranteed to titillate your sensibilities. RIP-Maurice White

… Even though his commitment appears to have solidified over the weekend, my guess is that Bullard tight end Major Tennison is going to keep a keen eye on the Texas offense this season and his recruitment is likely to have a few drops of sweat involved before next February. ...

IMO It'll be very interesting to see the look of the offense actually trotted out over the next several months.

Will they go high school spread style with hardly any TE use, or

will Gilbert change his approach and put his money in tune with what his mouth was reportedly saying this last weekend, and

go with a modern Multiple Offensive Style that does actually use TE's quite extensively ...

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Geoff, my list of EWF favorites would look just about like yours, perhaps with a shuffle or two. Sometime in 1987, I was shooting hoops, alone, at about 5:30 in the afternoon, in the the gym of the now defunct Texas Club, in downtown Houston. A guy enters the gym and asks me if he could shoot around with me. He extended his hand in greeting and says, "Hi, I'm Philip Bailey". Being a horn player since I was a child, I've always loved Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears and Earth Wind and Fire. He told me that he was in town to do a show with Phil Collins that night. We shot around for about 15 or 20 minutes before he left to go back to his hotel room to get ready for his show. He was quite affable, and totally unpretentious. If you've never watched EWF's "99 by Request Concert", on YouTube, it's guaranteed to titillate your sensibilities. RIP-Maurice White
I love Phillip Bailey and his jam with Collins might be my favorite song of his. GREAT story. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the Earth Wind and Fire good Sir. May I suggest some Al Green at some point in the future.

Thank you for the Earth Wind and Fire good Sir. May I suggest some Al Green at some point in the future.

@texasrocks4me

(Listen via Spotify),

Here's a link to my interview with Al from almost four years ago. One of my all-time favs.

My Top 9

9. So You're Leaving
8. Lay It Down
7. Simply Beautiful
6. Here I am (Come and Take Me)
5. Love and Happiness
4. I'm So In Love With You
3. Unchained Melody (better than the original)
2. How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
1. Let's Stay Together

Guaranteed?

What on earth would "guarantee" it at this point. It's a position with a massive logjam and he hasn't so much as taken a snap at practice.

Don't get me wrong, he could emerge as a starter, but I think that's a little too strong IMO.

Always have to wait and see how high schools stars fare against guys a heck of a lot faster, stronger, and more athletic than the vast majority of guys they played against in HS. Sometimes guys are just better in HS because they are physically superior than most of the guys they go up against, especially at receiver. Jake Oliver ruled the world in his small school world.

So Ketch basically cursed Texas sports for boasting about one solid Saturday. Thanks for not being fans. I am sure Saturday and Monday night feel the same for you guys, right? Indifferent, just here to report.

So Ketch basically cursed Texas sports for boasting about one solid Saturday. Thanks for not being fans. I am sure Saturday and Monday night feel the same for you guys, right? Indifferent, just here to report.
So I was the problem last night? Someone let Shaka know...

So I was the problem last night? Someone let Shaka know...
Yes, isn't it obvious? You did the equivalent of the following:
  • Talked to the pitcher about the perfect game he had going before the 8th inning.
  • Talked to the golfer about what he needed to do on the last 4 holes to beat the course record.
  • ESPN posting an article claiming the 2005 USC team to be the greatest CF team of all time before they played in the National Championship game.
Some things you don't talk about too early, and you are the reason we got corn-holed last night.

Apart from that, great 10TFTW. In all seriousness, good write-up and let's hope the Shaka is able to channel this team's devastating performance into motivation for the next/last stretch. Not sure what can be said about the girl's team. They (unlike the men's team with 4x losses) have not shown an ability to compete against the top tier teams.

Yes, isn't it obvious? You did the equivalent of the following:
  • Talked to the pitcher about the perfect game he had going before the 8th inning.
  • Talked to the golfer about what he needed to do on the last 4 holes to beat the course record.
  • ESPN posting an article claiming the 2005 USC team to be the greatest CF team of all time before they played in the National Championship game.
Some things you don't talk about too early, and you are the reason we got corn-holed last night.

Apart from that, great 10TFTW. In all seriousness, good write-up and let's hope the Shaka is able to channel this team's devastating performance into motivation for the next/last stretch. Not sure what can be said about the girl's team. They (unlike the men's team with 4x losses) have not shown an ability to compete against the top tier teams.
The problem is that I did a reverse jinx on Saturday and I can't always control my powers.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Totally depressing on Jaylon Smith. A group of us made our annual away game trip and picked ND. After getting soundly beat we went and drank too much (surprise, surprise). While getting a burger at 2:30am at Five Guys I realized Jaylon was in front of us in line. I gave him a little nudge and told him he was a shitty host. He was super cool, welcomed us to town, took a photo with us (refused to put horns up) and then we sat with him and his family to eat.

Just a great kid. Bright and a helluva athlete watching him that night and throughout the season. Was at the Fiesta Bowl and saw him go down, just nasty.

Damn shame and hope he makes a miraculous recovery. always tough to see that happen to the good character ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT