ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A few apologies need to take place...)

He needs to play at a level well enough that afterwards his fans don't have to point to dropped passes and throwaways as examples that he really played at a higher level that a terrible rating suggests that he did.

More completions. More touchdown drives. More big plays. More plays with his feet.

All of it. He needs to be a difference maker, not just a driver of the car.

ok. you lose, game over. Come back next week and try again.

We beat Ohio State because of Limas, but there was something about him during his UT career that left you hoping he would deliver and not choke. That is one reason his endzone catch to beat OSU was so cray and such a happy relief. Maybe its that he was late to blossom.

He needs to play at a level well enough that afterwards his fans don't have to point to dropped passes and throwaways as examples that he really played at a higher level that a terrible rating suggests that he did.

More completions. More touchdown drives. More big plays. More plays with his feet.

elvis-andrus.gif

;)

We beat Ohio State because of Limas, but there was something about him during his UT career that left you hoping he would deliver and not choke. That is one reason his endzone catch to beat OSU was so cray and such a happy relief. Maybe its that he was late to blossom.

Completely wrong. Sweed would be the number one receiver on this team.
There’s no way. Sweet was fast, but couldn’t get sedation from his defenders and couldn’t break tackles like Collin and LJH. Sweed was typically single covered or played against zone defenses. Plus he played with NFL QBs.

As a sophomore, he was a key starter for a national title winning team.

As a junior, he had a pretty epic season (12 touchdowns and more than 17 yards per reception).

As a senior, he was off to an All-America type of start before the injury.

Last edited:
There’s no way. Sweet was fast, but couldn’t get sedation from his defenders and couldn’t break tackles like Collin and LJH. Sweed was typically single covered or played against zone defenses. Plus he played with NFL QBs.
There's no way that a guy that was a second round NFL talent and scored 20 touchdowns in a shortened career would start?

Come on...

Once again you give Chris boyd too much credit you say he missed the first quarter but it's the other three quarters and how he played that hurt so badly each and every game he blows assignments and gets burnt for touchdowns

He is definitely more trouble than he is worth.
What a pain in the ass. (Remember his halftime tweet during TCU game a while back)

Cade Brewer (Tight end) - Replacing Beck wouldn't have seemed like a big deal a few months ago, but the senior has actually developed into an important player at a critical position in the offense.

You can bet the farm Brewer will be a step up.

There's a decent chance Sweed will finish with more touchdowns in 2006 alone than Johnson will score in his entire career.

I know what you said. You said he needs to be better, and I am asking in what way did he need to be better? If you can't answer that, how could he have been better?

soccer-miss.gif

Reactions: Buda Horn
There's literally no metric than gives Johnson or Humphrey an edge over Sweed, who has more career touchdowns than both of them combined.

Adams ranks in the top 10 in yards, receptions and touchdowns. Walker ranks in the top 10 in none of those categories.

I think Adams just caught another bomb against aggy in '96.

Sweed is top 10, but #4 seems pretty high. These eyes tell me Johnson is head and shoulders above Sweed. I’m not knocking Sweed, but would he even start on this years team?

All that being said, Sweed had one of the most important catches in Longhorn history.

Sweed wasn't a mid-2nd round draft pick by accident.

There's a decent chance Sweed will finish with more touchdowns in 2006 alone than Johnson will score in his entire career.

I can’t believe this is even being discussed. That’s the discussion closer. If you can’t understand the above you were dropped on your head one too many times.

Damn it. Can’t believe you f-ers have me siding with Ketch.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Texas Longhorns wide receivers ...
Do I have Collin Johnson ranked too high or too low or just right?

10. Wane McGarity
9. Mike Adams
8. Collin Johnson
7. Johnny "Lam" Jones
6. Cotton Speyrer
5. Kwame Cavil
4. Limas Sweed
3. Quan Cosby
2. Roy Williams
1. Jordan Shipley

=============================
Would have liked to have seen Lam Jones play in one of the offenses under Mackovic forward. As it was, he played halfback in DKR's last year and was moved to WR by Akers. Now, its hard to say, but I was a student during the same years he was and I would probably put Adams and Johnson ahead of him. He was the 2nd overall draft pick by the Jets, but he would have to be considered an NFL bust.

Honestly, if an Akers era receiver was in the top ten I think you could make almost as much a case for Les Koenning as Lam.

Again, if Lam had played in an offense better suited to his skill, he might have been in the top 5.

I think Sam was relatively solid against Okie Lite. Particularly given he was coming off an injury. That being said, his passer rating is significantly worse in the 2nd half of games than the first. It's significantly worse in the 4th quarter than the other 3. And significantly worse on 3rd down than first and second downs.

I can’t believe this is even being discussed. That’s the discussion closer. If you can’t understand the above you were dropped on your head one too many times.

Damn it. Can’t believe you f-ers have me siding with Ketch.
It's so damn painful, I know.:D

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Texas Longhorns wide receivers ...
Do I have Collin Johnson ranked too high or too low or just right?

10. Wane McGarity
9. Mike Adams
8. Collin Johnson
7. Johnny "Lam" Jones
6. Cotton Speyrer
5. Kwame Cavil
4. Limas Sweed
3. Quan Cosby
2. Roy Williams
1. Jordan Shipley

=============================
Would have liked to have seen Lam Jones play in one of the offenses under Mackovic forward. As it was, he played halfback in DKR's last year and was moved to WR by Akers. Now, its hard to say, but I was a student during the same years he was and I would probably put Adams and Johnson ahead of him. He was the 2nd overall draft pick by the Jets, but he would have to be considered an NFL bust.

Honestly, if an Akers era receiver was in the top ten I think you could make almost as much a case for Les Koenning as Lam.

Again, if Lam had played in an offense better suited to his skill, he might have been in the top 5.
Lam is one of three All-America receivers in school history and one of only two that were multiple-time All-Americans.

BJ Johnson has no right to have his name mentioned in the same breath.

Confirmation bias has kicked in with a number of you and it's keeping you from having a nuanced conversation on this.

My saying Sam has to play better wasn't an indictment on Sam...

Re-read the first two paragraphs again and tell me how I'm being unfair to him.

I'm having a conversation based in the reality of what's needed. My fan feelings aren't hurt, I'm looking at what's in front of this team and what will be required for Texas to win out.
My opinion is that you need to analyze the offense before you say Sam needs to play better. He played about as good as possible Saturday night. This offense is nickel and dime and through over the top. Sam will not put up big passing numbers that way.

Lam is one of three All-America receivers in school history and one of only two that were multiple-time All-Americans.

BJ Johnson has no right to have his name mentioned in the same breath.
I was talking about Colin.

On Lam, he caught his share of home run balls, but those declined after Earl left. I did not remember that he was All American and frankly I'm surprised by that. I thought he was anything but a complete receiver. I think he dropped almost as many passes as he caught. Again, he would have probably been phenomenal if he had been coached by and played for Mackovic, Brown, or right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT