ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A heavy dose of "Uh oh")

LeBron is close but it's hard to know what he would do or how healthy we would stay back in the brutal days of real man basketball.

Would Jordan average 40 plus with todays rules.. Impossible to know.

To be clear, MJ is the GOAT. But regarding Lebron's health, MJ did just fine in the "brutal days" barely weighing over 200lbs. Lebron is a damn brick wall at over 250lbs. Something tells me he would have done just fine in a more physical NBA.

Reactions: Monster J
LeBron is close but it's hard to know what he would do or how healthy we would stay back in the brutal days of real man basketball.

I love how everyone talks about the East being some tougher conference when Jordan existed.

It wasn't.

Once they win a championship, you can wonder that. That's pulling the horse in front of the cart, currently. I found that discussion silly last night, given the circumstances.

The cliche is putting the cart in front of the horse. The horse is supposed to go in front of the cart.

Considering he averaged 33-37 a game for many many years with the wide open shooting and lanes available now days I feel confident in saying he would average somewhere around 40-45 a game easily.

I love how everyone talks about the East being some tougher conference when Jordan existed.

It wasn't.

Wut?
Certainly up through MJ's first title (7 seasons) it was. For those first 6 seasons, the Western Conference was the nothing but the Lakers. HOuston made 2 finals but both were considered major upsets over LA and nobody really expected to come close to beating Boston in '81 or '86.
The ensuing next few years at worst was a push. Then in the '96-'97 season, the Eastern Conference had SIX teams win 50+ games. Western Conference had 4.
The dominance of the Western Conference didn't really start until several years after MJ was out of Chicago.

Wut?
Certainly up through MJ's first title (7 seasons) it was. For those first 6 seasons, the Western Conference was the nothing but the Lakers. HOuston made 2 finals but both were considered major upsets over LA and nobody really expected to come close to beating Boston in '81 or '86.
The ensuing next few years at worst was a push. Then in the '96-'97 season, the Eastern Conference had SIX teams win 50+ games. Western Conference had 4.
The dominance of the Western Conference didn't really start until several years after MJ was out of Chicago.
I didn't say a word about the West.

I'm simply saying his competition in the East is historically overhyped.

Ojomo is NOT a pass rushing DE, plain and simple, and the fact that he is positioned there makes me questions the coaches even more. I’ve been wondering this since the second it was reported on OBs that he would be moving outside to DE. I just don’t get it.
It is a depth thing. Get it?

did it?

Or is that some heavy duty confirmation bias to compare this program to Clemson?

It’s my attempt to put the most positive spin possible on a horrendous game won in a miraculous fashion. Gotta give me points for originality!

I didn't say a word about the West.

I'm simply saying his competition in the East is historically overhyped.

For one, I'm not sure about it's "hype," but the Eastern conference was pretty consistently the dominant conference for Jordan's era with the Bulls. In his 14 seasons with Chicago, the Eastern conference had the better winning percentage H2H against the Western conference 9 times. Including his last 4 titles seasons. And those last 2 title seasons the Eastern conference was particularly dominant winning 57% H2H against the West in both seasons.

Considering he averaged 33-37 a game for many many years with the wide open shooting and lanes available now days I feel confident in saying he would average somewhere around 40-45 a game easily.
They played with multiple broken fingers... horrible sprained ankles... back problems that would keep guys out for the season now.. It's a different time.. With much better treatment and medicine and they also take much better care of the players now..

For one, I'm not sure about it's "hype," but the Eastern conference was pretty consistently the dominant conference for Jordan's era with the Bulls. In his 14 seasons with Chicago, the Eastern conference had the better winning percentage H2H against the Western conference 9 times. Including his last 4 titles seasons. And those last 2 title seasons the Eastern conference was particularly dominant winning 57% H2H against the West in both seasons.
Once the Pistons and the Celtics fell off, the East was incredibly Bulls top-heavy. The Jordan doc would have you believe the Pacers were the 86 Celtics.

Once the Pistons and the Celtics fell off, the East was incredibly Bulls top-heavy. The Jordan doc would have you believe the Pacers were the 86 Celtics.

They were 2-time defending champs. The point is that in MJ's time, he was in the dominant conference.

I generally found the West to have more memorable teams from that era.

I generally found the East to have more teams push the Bulls to 7 games. Which is not difficult since none of those memorable teams from the West did. There is some rich irony in you saying the Bulls' Eastern Conference rivals are "overrated." ;)

OBers talking about Lebron James never ceases to be entertaining.
While I don’t think James is the GOAT...

Frankly, I think Kobe was the more dangerous player, but I’m saying that because he used to kill my Spurs, so I admit my bias there.

Most OBers simply don’t like him and loathe his activism and use that against his basketball greatness.

None of that stuff has ever bothered me at all. I don’t agree with everything he says on those subjects, but he’s entitled to his opinions.

Most here just can’t stand the guy out of some strange hatred. I guess the “Decision” left him with many sworn enemies after that.

I don’t think he’s the GOAT as a player, but he’s probably the most skilled player that’s ever played the game and I’d take him on my team without hesitation - even with all the hoopla that comes with James.

He’s not a greater player than MJ or even Bryant imo, but he is a better leader and teammate than those guys were.

Those are just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLong68

Frankly, I think Kobe was the more dangerous player, but I’m saying that because he used to kill my Spurs, so I admit my bias there.

Most OBers simply don’t like him and loathe his activism and use that against his basketball greatness.

None of that stuff has ever bothered me at all. I don’t agree with everything he says on those subjects, but he’s entitled to his opinions.

Most here just can’t stand the guy out of some strange hatred. I guess the “Decision” left him with many sworn enemies after that.

I don’t think he’s the GOAT as a player, but he’s probably the most skilled player that’s ever played the game and I’d take him on my team without hesitation - even with all the hoopla that comes with James.

He’s not a greater player than MJ or even Bryant imo, but he is a better leader and teammate than those guys were.

Well said. Well said.

Reactions: trophies2
I generally found the East to have more teams push the Bulls to 7 games. Which is not difficult since none of those memorable teams from the West did. There is some rich irony in you saying the Bulls' Eastern Conference rivals are "overrated." ;)
twice.

It pretty much goes along with what I'm saying...

what did Kobe do better than LeBron?

Reactions: Monster J
@Ketchum any thoughts on Miss St. carving up that "SEC" LSU defense? Is it a mix of overhyping the SEC defenses, LSU losing 14 players, or is the air raid just that difficult to stop?

I’m getting pretty frustrated @Ketchum .... I have been providing fantastic buy or sell topics since the day I logged into OBs and only 1.... ONE! Has ever been chosen. Unacceptable

edit: and I think it was my first one. Gosh darn it, I want some butts!

I’ll forgive you if you can tell me what movie I just quoted

what did Kobe do better than LeBron?
Seriously? Kobe was a way more dangerous player on the offensive side of the floor. And defensively Kobe was tough as nails. Man, give me Kobe over Lebron.

I’m getting pretty frustrated @Ketchum .... I have been providing fantastic buy or sell topics since the day I logged into OBs and only 1.... ONE! Has ever been chosen. Unacceptable

edit: and I think it was my first one. Gosh darn it, I want some butts!

I’ll forgive you if you can tell me what movie I just quoted
You're in next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT