ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A look at the offensive mountains that must be climbed ...)

BUY or SELL: Tom Herman delivers us a Natty before Chip Kelly gets one?

(Sell) I will no longer accept questions involving Texas winning a national title under Tom Herman until the team plays in a Big 12 Championship game. It's embarrassing.

@Ketchum, what is "emabarrassing" about speculation that Herman wins a national championship here?

Because he went 7-6 in year one with an offensive backfield where the three most talented players were all true freshmen? With an offensive line that, because of injuries and lack of depth, had guys starting that before the season, no one thought would get meaningful snaps? (Or are you telling me that you had Cuney and Kerstetter pencilled in?)

I get that Herman may or may not be the answer here, and that winning a national championship is a hope but not an expectation, but I don't see a need to be embarrassed about discussing the possibility.
He's probably sick of answering that question, especially since we aren't even close to the big 12 championship. How about we win that first!

AND the effectiveness of coaching, AND the commitment to achievement by players (I believe this has to have been a somewhat unrecognized contributing factor), and the OL problem should be solved.

I think this is the biggest problem here. Complacency is one of many words that has left us where we are. I really hope to see improvement in the areas Herman feels he needed to improve. I heard him speak recently and he didn't say anything I'm sure you haven't heard. He's impressed with the development, and buy-in. Let's see if that translates into anything.

Reactions: Dualthreat
To be perfectly clear, I don't disagree one bit that it starts with the OL, but I'm not terribly sure we have elite talent at the QB spot (at least amongst the top 2) or the RB spot. Solid perhaps? Sure. But championship material is certainly a question for now.
Good OL will make QB and RB look more than solid. It’s simple.

Going by your analysis, we ran enough plays, but need to get our RBs another 1.5 ypc. Not sure how much of that is on the RBs vs the OL, but if that 1 stat gets fixed, the others, including the points will be fixed. A better running game improves the passing, more 1st downs = more sustained drives = more TDs. A better kicker = more points. Punting won't be nearly as phenomenal, but still likely better than average and overall our D will be just as good, if not better.

I'm not drinking the Koolaid, but I have taken a few sips. I'm still "wait & see," but I'll admit to having a full glass handy.

In order to have a good running game you need some good OLs. It's a work in progress and it's going to take some time to restock that area. Not as many really good offensive linemen as there are running backs.

Because he did not play for the conference championship in his first year as HC you cannot bring yourself to even entertain the guy's question. It isn't a really deep point I'm making that you should need an example.

(Sell) I'm tired of giving players the benefit of the doubt because they are older and ... well ... just because.
It's about time that you came off this narrative. Expecting a player to be better simply because he's 12 months older is ridiculous.

Too many variables drive improvement - is the kid working at his craft? Is he getting the proper coaching to improve? Are the coaches schematically placing him in a position to succeed? Are his teammates doing their job so he can do his? Is he developing physically?

Because he did not play for the conference championship in his first year as HC you cannot bring yourself to even entertain the guy's question.
Is that really it? Do you think my thinking has to do with one season?

Oh, and are you ignoring that the team was awful in a lot of important ways in year one?

Good grief.

It's about time that you came off this narrative. Expecting a player to be better simply because he's 12 months older is ridiculous.

Too many variables drive improvement - is the kid working at his craft? Is he getting the proper coaching to improve? Are the coaches schematically placing him in a position to succeed? Are his teammates doing their job so he can do his? Is he developing physically?
I wouldn't say "finally" because I have represented the voice of reason on this board for nearly a decade.

Your numbers only prove something I’ve been trying to get through this board’s skull for quite some time. Our problem isn’t QB. Our problem isn’t RB. It’s the OL stupid.

You didn’t analyze QB hurries, which is likely far more telling than sacks. Our QBs don’t have time. Our RBs don’t have holes.

We have the talent at both RB and QB and way more talent necessary at WR to win the conference. Our OL is nowhere close, however.

I’ll keep beating this drum and people will start to catch on.
I've been saying OL for about a year now as well. Are you stealing my material? ;)

Completely agree. The OL will tell the tale this year. If Herb Hand can't coax substantial improvement out of them in the Fall, then it's going to be another tough year offensively. They are the KEY to everything.

If they're better, the running game is better, the quarterback will be better, and the receivers will be better. It's a domino effect.

Remember Garrett Gilbert in the 2010 spring game? He was awesome.

Still not sure why you wouldn’t take this kid? If there is even a chance he makes this football team better you take him and figure it out later. Riley Ferguson would have looked good in a Texas uniform ...we’ve been through this before and passéd how’d that work out?

BUY or SELL: If Shaka has another tough year, CDC will have the guts to fire him?

(Buy) A blood bath is about to hit the athletic department and when it's over, no one will question whether Chris Del Conte has the guts to fire anyone.
What exactly do you mean by blood bath? Other than Shaka, Connie Clark and a track & field vacancy, what coaches are on the hot seat? Or are you talking about him trimming the fat in the whole department?

What exactly do you mean by blood bath? Other than Shaka, Connie Clark and a track & field vacancy, what coaches are on the hot seat? Or are you talking about him trimming the fat in the whole department?
This has to do with the athletic department. More than 100+ employees are expected to be removed from the department in the coming weeks and months.

Is that really it? Do you think my thinking has to do with one season?

Oh, and are you ignoring that the team was awful in a lot of important ways in year one?

Good grief.
I wasn't asking you to answer the guy's question with "Yes, Tom Herman will win a national title before Chip Kelly"

I would have liked to have seen you....answer the guy's question, however you think it should be answered. Such as "I haven't seen enough of Tom Herman as HC to be able to predict he will win a national title at all, but that doesn't mean he can't."

or if you feel even stronger "Tom Herman will never win a national title at Texas".

If someone asked you when you thought Smart would get to a final four and you said you wouldn't even take the question until he had won a tournament game then I would have thought that was an appropriate response. And if Tom Herman is going into year four and has not been in a bowl game better than the one in Houston, and the same question was asked, then the answer you gave here would be an appropriate response.

And vice versa. Put Garrett Gilbert behind our '05 line and we don't win squat.
I hear ya. But I just don’t think we know how good our QB’s and RB’s can be yet until we have a decent OL. Also, @Ketchum has posted OL stats that show our OL was not that good when Colt/Gilbert were under center. But I still agree that Gilbert was sh*t. Colt’s incredible accuracy and ability to scramble and make big yardage, as well as passing scheme, somewhat masked a JAG OL. Bottom line: I think we can agree that we need to improve in all facets of offense.

I wasn't asking you to answer the guy's question with "Yes, Tom Herman will win a national title before Chip Kelly"

I would have liked to have seen you....answer the guy's question, however you think it should be answered. Such as "I haven't seen enough of Tom Herman as HC to be able to predict he will win a national title at all, but that doesn't mean he can't."

or if you feel even stronger "Tom Herman will never win a national title at Texas".

If someone asked you when you thought Smart would get to a final four and you said you wouldn't even take the question until he had won a tournament game then I would have thought that was an appropriate response. And if Tom Herman is going into year four and has not been in a bowl game better than the one in Houston, and the same question was asked, then the answer you gave here would be an appropriate response.
I've answered the question a million times. It gets asked every week.

We have a championship level defense. We don’t need Vince Young, Or Colt to win this conference. Solid QB and RB play is all we need, but we can’t win with attroucuious O Line play. It takes an elite QB to succeed with the o line play we had a year ago.
We could have won 9-10 games just with a bad ass QB

Welcome to middle age married manium, Ketch. We bitch all the time about being tied down, but when wife is away with the kids, we sulk. I guess that's a good thing, because when we celebrate that our wife is gone, something is amiss.

I agree about championship talk. Just thinking about what improvement has to be made on the O-side of things to be even considered adequate is mind numbing. Most of us remember how surprising it was when we had to punt the ball... depressing.

My beloved Celts will cool off -- I suspect tonight, but this is a young and snappy team with talent and one old guy who's playing above himself. I still have the Cavs in 6, but I hope I'm wrong.

Hook 'em!!!

Welcome to middle age married manium, Ketch. We bitch all the time about being tied down, but when wife is away with the kids, we sulk. I guess that's a good thing, because when we celebrate that our wife is gone, something is amiss.

I agree about championship talk. Just thinking about what improvement has to be made on the O-side of things to be even considered adequate is mind numbing. Most of us remember how surprising it was when we had to punt the ball... depressing.

My beloved Celts will cool off -- I suspect tonight, but this is a young and snappy team with talent and one old guy who's playing above himself. I still have the Cavs in 6, but I hope I'm wrong.

Hook 'em!!!
The Celtics might give the Warriors the best seven game series.

I've answered the question a million times. It gets asked every week.
Oh, well I suppose I missed it.

Really not my intent to be yanking your chain, but I think if you solicit questions from your gallery, and you decide to put a question in your column, then you should answer them...even if you've answered it "a million" times before.

That's elite? Or very good?
You've turned the conversation into something entirely different than my original comment was intended. Texas can go undefeated in the Big 12 next year and they don't need to average 40+ points to do so. That's all I was saying.

Reactions: Dave C2
You've turned the conversation into something entirely different than my original comment was intended. Texas can go undefeated in the Big 12 next year and they don't need to average 40+ points to do so. That's all I was saying.
I believe you're right. Recent history suggests you are not.

BUY or SELL: A graduate transfer QB matriculates at Texas this Fall?

(Sell) I don't get the sense that Herman is sending signals that he will aggressively go after a grad transfer at this position, but I wouldn't rule it out, either.
Surprised to hear you say that although I would think Herman would keep any interest in a QB to himself and Beck so not to upset his existing guys for nothing. Everything about Herman suggests to me that would rather go into 2018 with a QB he thinks gives him a chance to win 10 rather than stand still or lose ground - and I don't think he is 100% committed to Ehlinger.

Surprised to hear you say that although I would think Herman would keep any interest in a QB to himself and Beck so not to upset his existing guys for nothing. Everything about Herman suggests to me that would rather go into 2018 with a QB he thinks gives him a chance to win 10 rather than stand still or lose ground - and I don't think he is 100% committed to Ehlinger.
I think he would be interested for the right guy.

Hope Liverpool does it...gotta admit I find the game immensely boring but one of my best sports memories is watching Liverpool go down big, giving up on em, then once I got downtown watching them come back to win & singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" w a bunch of drunk English in an Amsterdam pub.

Especially Natalie :)!!

Good times!

Hope Liverpool does it...gotta admit I find the game immensely boring but one of my best sports memories is watching Liverpool go down big, giving up on em, then once I got downtown watching them come back to win & singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" w a bunch of drunk English in an Amsterdam pub.

Especially Natalie :)!!

Good times!
That sounds like quite a memory.

Good times, indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT