ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A look at the offensive mountains that must be climbed ...)

Just wishing I was with my family when I finally had a day of quiet.
Dude, that’s how it goes with me too... and that is a really cool thing because otherwise that would mean your life is generally miserable. I miss the bleep out of my girls when they’re away from me. I’m whipped 3x over.

All I can do is fall on the sword. No excuses.

dW6vR.gif
Damn. I love that movie. Ok fine.

Your numbers only prove something I’ve been trying to get through this board’s skull for quite some time. Our problem isn’t QB. Our problem isn’t RB. It’s the OL stupid.

You didn’t analyze QB hurries, which is likely far more telling than sacks. Our QBs don’t have time. Our RBs don’t have holes.

We have the talent at both RB and QB and way more talent necessary at WR to win the conference. Our OL is nowhere close, however.

I’ll keep beating this drum and people will start to catch on.
Besides QB hurries, you didn't analyze our RBs hit in the backfield either. This would also be a telling stat on a weak OL.

Dude, that’s how it goes with me too... and that is a really cool thing because otherwise that would mean your life is generally miserable. I miss the bleep out of my girls when they’re away from me. I’m whipped 3x over.
Yeah, I'm wrapped around some fingers.;)

To me, everything about how good/bad a position group (other than OL) is on our offense is pretty much speculation until the OL progresses to at least mediocre status. Only then will we be able to figure out if any other group is any good or not.

coming off of the 1998 season when Texas beat Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and won the Cotton Bowl?
Yeah. It's one season is my point. You make it sound like this is shaka go oing into year 4

Nice numbers on the offense, but if Orlando is still doing his thing, Texas won’t need the average offense of the last 8 champs, just something that is respectable. I would take 4.2-4.5 yards per carry. That alone would likely increase the per game average by 40 yards getting us just below 200 yards per game. What your numbers don’t show is how very bad many of the B12champ defenses were and the fact OU had to score 45 a game when their defense was giving up 35 per game.

On #10 - welcome to the old man with kids club. Now that my kids are 8 and 7 the wife and I are starting to get out a bit again. And next time you are home alone, perfect time for a few beers at the Dig Pub or other CP establishment.

History suggests otherwise.

Mack always listed 200 yards as the number his teams had circled each week. In a perfect world, he wanted a 200/200 balance.
Those really great USC teams from back in the 70s? averaged 230 yds each, and nobody could touch them

To be perfectly clear, I don't disagree one bit that it starts with the OL, but I'm not terribly sure we have elite talent at the QB spot (at least amongst the top 2) or the RB spot. Solid perhaps? Sure. But championship material is certainly a question for now.

I'm not sure we need an elite QB. In Herman's offense, our QB needs to move the chains and manage the game. However, I sure wouldn't be opposed to have elite QB talent.

Agreed the soccer stuff always makes me cringe. F soccer.

Soccer is superior to baseball. A good reason for Ketch to be reporting soccer news.

A World Cup of Baseball would comprise a group smaller than the G8 or those attending a Reddit meet-up for people paralyzed by vaccines. Soccer games usually last only 90 minutes and, often after a match, exuberant youth do a bit of high-spirited rioting. Three hours of Major League Baseball would be enough to leave even the most boisterous potential hooligan in an existential funk.

Finally, if you break a sweat in baseball, it means you are suffering from a pharmaceutical side effect, have a thyroid condition, or the Humidex is too high to accommodate pajamas and a belt.

IMO, not sure there's a quality enough of one to push the issue. Unlike College hoops, grad transfers often have a lot of warts on them, thus, they reason they are transferring. I do think if something doesn't get settled this fall then if a cat like Hurts comes available then Herman will be all over him.

Joe Burrow would be an immediate upgrade and starter. You take him any day all day.

Joe Burrow would be an immediate upgrade and starter. You take him any day all day.
He's made 39 career college passing attempts.

There is very little evidence that suggests he's an immediate upgrade,

I get your premise, but its flawed if you have an elite defense. I told my dad after the USC game that "if we can score 30 points each week, I think we win out."

Opponents then proceeded to score the following:

ISU -- 7
KSU -- 34
OU -- 29
OSU -- 13
Baylor -- 7
TCU -- 24
Kansas -- 27 (wtf?)
WVU -- 14
Tech -- 27
Missouri -- 16

So I was off by 1 game, we would have gone 9-1.

He's made 39 career college passing attempts.

There is very little evidence that suggests he's an immediate upgrade,

I know it’s a spring game but watch the highlights and tell me you wouldn’t take this guy who is an upper class man with 2 years to play.

I get your premise, but its flawed if you have an elite defense. I told my dad after the USC game that "if we can score 30 points each week, I think we win out."

Opponents then proceeded to score the following:

ISU -- 7
KSU -- 34
OU -- 29
OSU -- 13
Baylor -- 7
TCU -- 24
Kansas -- 27 (wtf?)
WVU -- 14
Tech -- 27
Missouri -- 16

So I was off by 1 game, we would have gone 9-1.
Define elite defense.

I think we agree on talent level. We may disagree on what it takes to win the conference. Our talent at QB and RB is good enough if we had a championship level OL.
Good OL play will make a lot of players better (QB/RB). A plus QB will make the OL better as well. There has to be a happy medium with both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT