ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A revised Steve Earle list)

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie's first 141 days)

Seems to defy the odds re the number of NFL players from TX. Maybe between UT and a few other Texas schools we are not developing like the dreaded SEC teams and the real explanation is coaching.

BTW, your analysis of CS's first 100+ days was very well written and fun to read. Not a lot of stats and just good creative writing skills. Nice job.

Great write up....But, Feel Alright and Billy and Bonnie should have made the top 10 for Steve Earle. No songs from that album is a huge miss

If Mack really cared about the players why did the players feel they needed a reason to met with Mack? Mack was watching out for only his 5 million dollar job at the end.

Ketch,

I don't believe that Major Applewhite should be included in your characterization of the assistant coaches. He tried to make them accountable as a team but Mack wouldn't allow him to do that!

Originally posted by Ketchum:.

No.3 - Excuse for me to use my favorite Redd Foxx gif …

For a moment this weekend, things were looking up for the Texas baseball program.

After impressively taking the first two games in the Big 12 Tournament by a combined 11-3 score, the Longhorns were a win away from advancing to the Tournament Championship and quite possibly putting themselves in a position to host a regional next week. As it turned out, the Longhorns were exactly six outs away from potentially accomplishing those feats when the mojo changed.

Texas was singled and walked to death in the eighth inning against Oklahoma State, which only added to the spotlight on the uninspiring offense that did little to match the inspiring performance from Nathan Thornhill.

Rain delays, more offensive ineptitude, mental mistakes and more of the like over the course of the rest of the day left the Longhorns on the outside looking in for both the Big 12 Tournament Championship Game and regional hosting possibilities, which causes a legion of Longhorn baseball fans to feel like this for hours on end …

ec

No.10 - And finally…

ec
Good stuff Ketch! So far I'm very impressed with CS' recruiting efforts and getting the team to buy him. There's been far less attrition than I thought would occur.

The DT situation is quite puzzling to me as well. 3 original DT's in high school only? Boggles the mind. I do think Malcolm Brown will be drafted, which will make it a whopping 4 though. What amazes me is that we managed to convert 2 RB's into DT's as well, in Henry Melton and Chris Whaley. I think the jury's still out on Ridgeway, who was a DE coming out of HS as well, but I feel positive with Rumph coming in and continuing the tradition of excellent DL coaching.

My thoughts exactly on baseball.
chairshot.r191677.gif

Hard to believe Ibaka is that much of a difference maker, but there you have it. Being at home helped too.

No. 8 - Pop goes the culture because the culture goes pop …
I think some of these are appropriate:
evilgrin0003.r191677.gif

Love Copperhead Road! Of course that's really the only song I'm familiar with.
ashamed0002.r191677.gif

Miss you dad! GySgt John M. Wells, Jr., retired, USMC 1959 - 1979. Semper Fi!

Read the GOT books. Most answers are right there.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Prosperity:
The team felt connected to and had a love for Mack, yet his office wasn't accessible to them except by appointment or the need to discuss something important. Interesting dichotomy.
Again, the team felt like Mack cared for them personally and there was a sense from some that the assistants didn't, at leats not like Mack.
Mack is politician, make you feel important but always watch-out for number 1 and his money

Originally posted by Beast1513:
The word 'within' was used twice in the same sentence. That is allsome and mind-bottling.
th

#4 = CS. It all makes sense now.

Hey Ketch, speaking of recruiting, I just noticed that Alabama picked up a TE commit in Hentges. Does this give us a better chance at Gragg now, IYO?

Haha Ketch going to start listening to the JRE! Podcast...

Originally posted by Kronic22:
Never even heard of Steve Earle. Is he considered at the same level as Strait and Travis? I didn't really listen to much country music (I'm assuming he is country by all the clamoring for this list).

I feel like stars are a little bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. When a kid starts getting looks from the big boys, he gets a little bit of a bump, or gets more camp invites. I'd guess that 80% of the draft are kids from BCS conferences. So if you have a kid who has multiple BCS official visits (self-reported offers are not trustworthy, while officials indicate true interest by the school), you give him a bit of a bump.

On the other hand, I think these sites are trying to limit the number of 4*s so the star ranking mean something (inflation), so some kids who are probably 5.8 worthy get kept at 5.7.
a. No, I don't view him as someone on that level, but people love the song-writing and the fact that he's a Texas boy. He also never conformed for anyone in the music business.

b. The important thing to take away is that there's a clear difference between a top 100 player and a top 250 player. The top 250 prospect is much more like the top 500 kid than he is the top 100 kid.

c. I don't believe there is enough exclusivity on the four-star level and I'm guilty of that as well. Giving me food for thought.

Originally posted by Grey_Gordon:
A team that wouldn't have one single player drafted (and I still think it's BS Jeffcoat didn't get picked), was one half of football away from winning the Big XII title.
A couple of luckout escapes against weak-sisters ISU and West Viginia kept the illusion of a championship run alive longer than it should have. The fact that each of last season's losses was by more than 18 points is a better indication than fortunate wins against struggling teams.

What last season confirmed again is that Mack was an above-average coach, but who, even with all of UT's advantages, can't win a championship without an easy conference schedule and a great QB.

Originally posted by bcroberts:
Infographics. Now you're using some modern day tools to show your research results. That analysis of D tackles is MUCH easier to follow. More of that please.
blushing.gif

Originally posted by Horde56:
While I was jonesing for my Game of Thrones fix this weekend, I decided to continue my march through The Wire, which I had never gotten around to watching. Who should I encounter in season 3 but Littlefinger, or at least a much younger Aidan Gillen. I guess he has the manipulative politician act down.

1500bd64_clay-davis-sheeeiiiiittt.gif

Great article.
1) I give Strong an A for his first 142 days. Recruits, coaches, players, etc... All see a difference. Eventually that difference will turn into results.
2) what are DL coaches in Texas doing??? Sad "state" of affairs with those DL. #'s
3) I predicted after game one that serge would be back in this series and OKC would win either game three or four. I knew they couldn't sustain that for an entire series. Next game will be a different story IMO.
4) baseball team... Smh... Like a roller coaster

Originally posted by MauiHorn:
Seems to defy the odds re the number of NFL players from TX. Maybe between UT and a few other Texas schools we are not developing like the dreaded SEC teams and the real explanation is coaching.

BTW, your analysis of CS's first 100+ days was very well written and fun to read. Not a lot of stats and just good creative writing skills. Nice job.
the good news is that a few dts from the state are on their way to being drafted. The bad news is that they play for Alabama and FSU.

Thanks for the kind words. Felt good about the final product this week.

Originally posted by TxGonzo:
Ketch,

I don't believe that Major Applewhite should be included in your characterization of the assistant coaches. He tried to make them accountable as a team but Mack wouldn't allow him to do that!
No one in particular was called out. The bottom line was that change was desperately needed. The problem starts at the top, not in the middle.

On Steve Earle. I hate Copperhead Road, it is a boring song. I get that it is his most popular radio song and that's probably why you put it 1 on the list. But from a songwriting perspective, it's not in his top 30. Seriously, take away the radio aspect and success of the song, and just compare it as a piece of art to the other things he's written. It's not even close. It doesn't have the depth of intelect or the same caliber of craftmanship that his other works have.
Point 2 on Steve Earle, I think you missed some songs that belong in the top 5, at least for my taste. Telephone Road is an essential classic. The Mountain, which is probably my favorite song he's ever written, and This Town, his song written for the show Treme, and it is an outstanding song, and for certain, Fortworth Blues, this is a must. To each his own on taste, but this is my two cents on someone who I consider a personal hero and have modeled a lot of my career after.

This post was edited on 5/26 11:33 AM by wgarnot

Originally posted by Craben:

Originally posted by Grey_Gordon:

A team that wouldn't have one single player drafted (and I still think it's BS Jeffcoat didn't get picked), was one half of football away from winning the Big XII title.
A couple of luckout escapes against weak-sisters ISU and West Viginia kept the illusion of a championship run alive longer than it should have. The fact that each of last season's losses was by more than 18 points is a better indication than fortunate wins against struggling teams.

What last season confirmed again is that Mack was an above-average coach, but who, even with all of UT's advantages, can't win a championship without an easy conference schedule and a great QB.
actually shows Mack to a BELOW average coach with all the advantage

Originally posted by marinehorn:
Good stuff Ketch! So far I'm very impressed with CS' recruiting efforts and getting the team to buy him. There's been far less attrition than I thought would occur.
The DT situation is quite puzzling to me as well. 3 original DT's in high school only? Boggles the mind. I do think Malcolm Brown will be drafted, which will make it a whopping 4 though. What amazes me is that we managed to convert 2 RB's into DT's as well, in Henry Melton and Chris Whaley. I think the jury's still out on Ridgeway, who was a DE coming out of HS as well, but I feel positive with Rumph coming in and continuing the tradition of excellent DL coaching.

My thoughts exactly on baseball.
chairshot.r191677.gif

Hard to believe Ibaka is that much of a difference maker, but there you have it. Being at home helped too.

No. 8 - Pop goes the culture because the culture goes pop …
I think some of these are appropriate:
evilgrin0003.r191677.gif

Love Copperhead Road! Of course that's really the only song I'm familiar with.
ashamed0002.r191677.gif

Miss you dad! GySgt John M. Wells, Jr., retired, USMC 1959 - 1979. Semper Fi!
Enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing.

a. The importance of projection and development is beyond critical for producing DTs.

b. Crazy thing about OKC's win on Sunday is that the two stars didn't even have huge games, which i thought would be needed. If you're SA, you'd much rather have seen those two guys go off and lose to the guys around them. The two stars still seem due.

c. RIP, GySgt John M. Wells, Jr. Your service will forever be remembered.

Originally posted by BeefMaster1:
#4 = CS. It all makes sense now.
confused0024.r191677.gif

Originally posted by marinehorn:
Hey Ketch, speaking of recruiting, I just noticed that Alabama picked up a TE commit in Hentges. Does this give us a better chance at Gragg now, IYO?
It sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Good read Ketch. So, you preparing your Franklin's order yet?

Originally posted by wgarnot:
On Steve Earle. I hate Copperhead Road, it is a boring song. I get that it is his most popular radio song and that's probably why you put it 1 on the list. But from a songwriting perspective, it's not in his top 30. Seriously, take away the radio aspect and success of the song, and just compare it as a piece of art to the other things he's written. It's not even close. It doesn't have the depth of intelect or the same caliber of craftmanship that his other works have.
Point 2 on Steve Earle, I think you missed some songs that belong in the top 5, at least for my taste. Telephone Road is an essential classic. The Mountain, which is probably my favorite song he's ever written, and This Town, his song written for the show Treme, and it is an outstanding song, and for certain, Fortworth Blues, this is a must. To each his own on taste, but this is my two cents on someone who I consider a personal hero and have modeled a lot of my career after.

This post was edited on 5/26 11:33 AM by wgarnot
a. Guitar Town is my personal No.1, but Copperhead Road is his signature song from his signature album. Some things can't be ignored.

b. Let's see your top 10. On some level, I would clearly defer.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Helmet Boy:
Johnny Come Lately and Galway Girl are unacceptable omissions. That's like leaving Amarillo By Morning and Oceanfront Property off a George Strait list.

Also, the stuff about Mack's popularity and personally connecting with the players doesn't really tie out with the other stuff about him never being around and making himself available to the players. Which was it? Rhetorical question.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
a. Johnny Come Lately almost was song No.15 for me. Just an FYI, there aren't a ton of lists on the Internet of Earle's work, but list all left those two songs off.

I'm no Steve Earle expert, but are those songs really like leaving Amarillo By Morning and Oceanfront Property off a George Strait list? I can't find a top 10 list on the Net of people who love Earle that list those songs in the top 10, although Galway Girl is a top song on Spotify.

b. Not a rhetorical question.

Mack wasn't always around, but his players really liked him. The players thought he actually cared about them as people.
Of course! How could one Not like Mack as a person, and Not respect him as a coach {despite his failings from 2010-2013}!?? I think Strong will prove to be was just what the Doc ordered {already is in terms of developing kick-ass toughness & making players accountable}, but I miss Mack, and will always appreciate what he did for the program, and the "class" he displayed throughout. He was a good coach & for a long time, a great {maybe peerless} C.E.O! More importantly, he is one heck of a good man!

Ketch, I will email you my top 10 when I get some free time and have a chance to really think about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT