ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A revised Steve Earle list)

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie's first 141 days)

Originally posted by McGuapo:
Good read Ketch. So, you preparing your Franklin's order yet?
innocent0006.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by philipjk21:
Last stop on the Strong tour, May 20th-Waco. Cant leave my hometown out
Birth place of yours truly as well.
Me? El Paso. Come from a long line of ranchers, cowboys, cattle rustlers, & Sheriffs & Rangers from Alpine to Marfa to Van Horn & El Paso! Hey, does it get anymore Texan than that!? lol

I'm not sure if I buy into the Texas failure at DT as much as you do Ketch. You're looking at the NFL and looking at Rivals DT. There has been several DE/DT types that UT has just missed out on.

There has been a few epic failures on Texas misses.

DT- Ashton Dorsey-- 4Star-- Obviously became a train-wreck under Mack Brown. Probably was going to be a NFL draft pick going off what he did his Junior season.

DT- Andre Jones -- 4Star- Kid from El Paso that had unlimited talent.. But sad story in the end.

DT- Quincy Russell- See how he works out at OU after JUCO route.

Now, let's look at the past few National Title games..

DE/DT- Damon Square- Alabama - Houston Yates : Undrafted but made Philly Eagles 53-active roster last year.
Started DE-DT for a couple of seasons for Alabama.

DE- Nosa Eguae - Auburn - Mansfield: Starting DE for Auburn Nat'l Title team. Undrafted but hanging around NFL.

DT- Kapron Lewis-Moore- Notre Dame- Weatherford: Started several seasons for Notre Dame and started in National Title game.

DE/DT- Mario Edwards- FSU - Denton Ryan.

DE- David King - OU- Bengals
DT- Tony Jerod Eddie- A&M - San Fran.
DE- STansly Maponga - TCU- Atlanta Falcons
DE- Cheta Ozougwu - RICE- New Orleans
DE- Scott Soloman - RICE- Titans.
DE/DT- Ik Enempkpali - La Tech

I know you're going to say most of these kids are DE. But, most of them are DE's in a 3/4 defense.
one of my personal favorite stories of handwork.

DT- Jimmy Saddler-McQueen - Tx A&M Kingsville - Detroit Lions. He has been on and off the 53 Roster for the past couple of seasons.

Epic failures of recent recruiting..

DT- Ashawn Robinson - almost started since Day One at Alabama. (Mack Brown let him get away).
DE/DT- Mario Edwards - Tough to beat out FSU but had a chance.

PS. The talent is in the State of Texas. You just have to go out there and find it. I'm not saying that UT shouldn't cherry-pick a few kids each year from other States or even the JUCO's to fill really needed spots.

But, without any shadow of a doubt there is enough top-line Football talent in the State of Texas to fill 80% of your roster with Texas HS scholarship kids and still have an annual Top #5 caliber football team.

Get out there across the Lone-Star State and find those diamonds in the ruff that have the right attitudes and will work hard. In a couple of years of weight gain, hardwork and COACHING you can some serious playmakers.

PS.

I can also show you the past 7 or so years of Rivals National Top 100 or 250 rankings of DT's and show you the even larger list of "Where are they now" players that for one reason or another just never lived up to their full potential in college.

Originally posted by Grey_Gordon:

Originally posted by Prosperity:
The team felt connected to and had a love for Mack, yet his office wasn't accessible to them except by appointment or the need to discuss something important. Interesting dichotomy.
Again, the team felt like Mack cared for them personally and there was a sense from some that the assistants didn't, at leats not like Mack.

Don't feel like I'm defending Mack because I'm not.
I don't understand why this is a hard concept for people to grasp. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. You can not be around all the time and still care for someone.

And if anyone doubts how much this team liked Mack, just look at what they did last season. Mack's job was on the line from BYU on, and they sucked it up and FOUGHT all season long. A team that wouldn't have one single player drafted (and I still think it's BS Jeffcoat didn't get picked), was one half of football away from winning the Big XII title.
I get it. Just noting the interesting dynamics. Mack has an enviable skill of making people think he cares while not being 100% accessible, just like a politician.

Originally posted by wgarnot:
Ketch, I will email you my top 10 when I get some free time and have a chance to really think about it.
right on

Steve Earle on July 3 at House of Blues in. Houston. July 5 in FT Worth.

Good write up on Coach Strong. I'm all in!

Originally posted by DraegerFrog:
I'm not sure if I buy into the Texas failure at DT as much as you do Ketch. You're looking at the NFL and looking at Rivals DT. There has been several DE/DT types that UT has just missed out on.

There has been a few epic failures on Texas misses.

DT- Ashton Dorsey-- 4Star-- Obviously became a train-wreck under Mack Brown. Probably was going to be a NFL draft pick going off what he did his Junior season.

DT- Andre Jones -- 4Star- Kid from El Paso that had unlimited talent.. But sad story in the end.

DT- Quincy Russell- See how he works out at OU after JUCO route.

Now, let's look at the past few National Title games..

DE/DT- Damon Square- Alabama - Houston Yates : Undrafted but made Philly Eagles 53-active roster last year.
Started DE-DT for a couple of seasons for Alabama.

DE- Nosa Eguae - Auburn - Mansfield: Starting DE for Auburn Nat'l Title team. Undrafted but hanging around NFL.

DT- Kapron Lewis-Moore- Notre Dame- Weatherford: Started several seasons for Notre Dame and started in National Title game.

DE/DT- Mario Edwards- FSU - Denton Ryan.

DE- David King - OU- Bengals
DT- Tony Jerod Eddie- A&M - San Fran.
DE- STansly Maponga - TCU- Atlanta Falcons
DE- Cheta Ozougwu - RICE- New Orleans
DE- Scott Soloman - RICE- Titans.
DE/DT- Ik Enempkpali - La Tech

I know you're going to say most of these kids are DE. But, most of them are DE's in a 3/4 defense.
one of my personal favorite stories of handwork.

DT- Jimmy Saddler-McQueen - Tx A&M Kingsville - Detroit Lions. He has been on and off the 53 Roster for the past couple of seasons.

Epic failures of recent recruiting..

DT- Ashawn Robinson - almost started since Day One at Alabama. (Mack Brown let him get away).
DE/DT- Mario Edwards - Tough to beat out FSU but had a chance.

PS. The talent is in the State of Texas. You just have to go out there and find it. I'm not saying that UT shouldn't cherry-pick a few kids each year from other States or even the JUCO's to fill really needed spots.

But, without any shadow of a doubt there is enough top-line Football talent in the State of Texas to fill 80% of your roster with Texas HS scholarship kids and still have an annual Top #5 caliber football team.

Get out there across the Lone-Star State and find those diamonds in the ruff that have the right attitudes and will work hard. In a couple of years of weight gain, hardwork and COACHING you can some serious playmakers.

PS.

I can also show you the past 7 or so years of Rivals National Top 100 or 250 rankings of DT's and show you the even larger list of "Where are they now" players that for one reason or another just never lived up to their full potential in college.

Bottom line is the bottom line.

Not a single three star or two star "defensive tackle" prospect emerged as an NFL drafted player from 2004-11. that's an incredible truth. That's not twisted rhetoric... that's as unbiased of a measure as exists because all the NFL cares about is talent.

Finding and developing defensive tackles from other means is also an important piece of the puzzle (see Lamarr Houston, Henry Melton and Chris Whaley).

I think any Steve Earle discussion has to include Ben McCulloch. Not one of his top 5 songs but I'd think its top 10.

And the rain came down? Not top ten?

Originally posted by living in OK sux:
I think any Steve Earle discussion has to include Ben McCulloch. Not one of his top 5 songs but I'd think its top 10.
Was in my 16-20 range. I'm a fan.

I'm assuming The Mountain wasn't in your available collection when making top ten list of Steve Earle tunes. You may be revisiting this ranking at a later date.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by brad.bernhard7:
And the rain came down? Not top ten?
I can't put 50 songs into the top 10.
wink.r191677.gif

I too took advantage of HBO's foolishness to check out Penny Dreadful. One episode in...and I wouldn't say I'm all-in, but I'm certainly intrigued. Stellar cast for sure.

I read that this was one of Showtime's biggest ratings premieres ever. So I'm betting they're pretty close to all-in right now.

I'll also add..

NG- Nikita Whitlock- Wake Forest / Wylie HS.-- Rival 2 Star.

Texas 5A Defensive Player of Year. Help take Wylie to 5A Title game.

UT never even gave him a glance because he is 5-11/245 coming out of High School.

He goes to Wake Forest and is a 4 year starter and All-ACC for 3 straight seasons.

Freshman All-American too.

This was a player coming out of High School (Wylie) that was a player... Tx 5A DPOY.

Any coaching staff worth its salt could of seen him and play (I saw him vs Katy) and realize that this kid could help you out. Strong as an Ox and quick and had a motor that didn't stop.

Like I said,, Texas (Mack Brown and staff) never even gave him a glance.

There are these 2-Star and 3-Star kids out there across Texas (On defense and DL) that can play big time football. Just don't overlook them and be a coach that see and knows talent.

There was a DT several years back from East Texas that signed with North Texas. His name was Brandon Kennedy. Not many teams even gave him glance because he was 5-10/300 lbs. He signs with North Texas and becomes All-Sun Belt for like 4 years straight. I believe he was Sun Belt Defensive POY like twice.

He played against Texas, Alabama and few other big time FBS programs. Most of those O-lineman on those teams all said he was one of the toughest DT that played against all season. Only reason he aint in the NFL because his like 5-10.
If he was 3 inches taller he would be in the NFL today.

Find those kids.. There scattered across Texas. Don't knock a kid because he is 5-11 ( and not a 4-Star rated) when you can easily see he is a player.
--------------------------------------------------

Sidenote:

PS. Drew Brees grew up in the shadows of UT. Texas never even looked his way because he aint 6 foot. Even though he was an All-State QB and anyone that saw him play pretty much knew he was going to be big time.

Did Texas even give Qb-David Blough (Carrolton Creekview-- Purdue) a look last season? That kid was probably the #1 overall QB in the State last year. His a great athlete, rocket arm and very accurate. Purdue just got another good one.
That kid would of probably been the best passer on Texas campus the minute he stepped on UT. Go watch some Game film of him.
--------------------------------------------------

Like I said before.. The talent base is in Texas to easily put together a National Top #5 annual program.

Texas can still cherry-pick (around the nation) and (Jucos) but 80% of your power base is basically in your backyard. Go find them, recruit them.... AND COACH EM'UP !!!

Way too much for me to read but just skimming through the stuff on CFS, all I can say is that I'm pretty damn pleased with his start.

Originally posted by RLong68:
Way too much for me to read but just skimming through the stuff on CFS, all I can say is that I'm pretty damn pleased with his start.
You need to block off an hour and enjoy the time reading a masterpiece.

I'll read a couple of things but out of the 10 thoughts I think maybe 3 of them interest me. Never given a hoot about UFC and no not a hair's interest in Game of Thrones. And for the life of me, I honestly have no idea how you've never done a Johnny Cash list yet somehow have a Natalie Maines one.
wink.r191677.gif

I'll read a couple of things but out of the 10 thoughts I think maybe 3 of them interest me. Never given a hoot about UFC and no not a hair's interest in Game of Thrones. And for the life of me, I honestly have no idea how you've never done a Johnny Cash list yet somehow have a Natalie Maines one.
wink.r191677.gif
Cash will take me two weeks. The challenge is daunting.

wink.r191677.gif
Cash will take me two weeks. The challenge is daunting.
Normally I would cut you some slack given the newborn twins but then again, Cash should have been done well before their arrival.
wink.r191677.gif

When you're right, you're right.

Up next: Cash.

And I still owe you lunch.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wgarnot:
On Steve Earle. I hate Copperhead Road, it is a boring song. I get that it is his most popular radio song and that's probably why you put it 1 on the list. But from a songwriting perspective, it's not in his top 30. Seriously, take away the radio aspect and success of the song, and just compare it as a piece of art to the other things he's written. It's not even close. It doesn't have the depth of intelect or the same caliber of craftmanship that his other works have.
Point 2 on Steve Earle, I think you missed some songs that belong in the top 5, at least for my taste. Telephone Road is an essential classic. The Mountain, which is probably my favorite song he's ever written, and This Town, his song written for the show Treme, and it is an outstanding song, and for certain, Fortworth Blues, this is a must. To each his own on taste, but this is my two cents on someone who I consider a personal hero and have modeled a lot of my career after.

This post was edited on 5/26 11:33 AM by wgarnot

As someone who went to high school in the 60s and came of
age in the 70s, Copperhead Road is clearly a protest song that's anti-war and -injustice.
As such it's similar to songs like "Fortunate Son," by CCR, "Street Fightin'
Man," the Stones, "War Pigs," Black Sabbath,
"Born in the USA," Springsteen. And many, many more from that era..

If you served in the 60s or 70s, you knew guys that
basically went over to the dark side because they couldn't make it in "polite"
society when they got home.

For me, with only a few simple words, the song conjures up
vivid images of the War and hard men living on the margins of society. I can
hear the choppers in the background and sirens wailing. And he does it all in
the form of a ballad that really rocks.

Sometimes if you have something to say that is very
controversial you have to commercialize it to garner wide exposure. These days
an anti-war song is very much against the grain. Also, I'd bet many Steve Earle
fans became aware of his other songs and his song writing by hearing this hit
on the radio.

Also, it's a great road song. When I travel in my job, I'll
always have my Copperhead Road CD along for the ride.

Just my 2 cents

This post was edited on 5/27 11:12 AM by HornNdriftwood

Fantastic stuff, Ketch. I did read the whole write-up on Strong through 141 days and that was excellent work.

Basically, Strong is doing all (or nearly all) the things in the off season thus far that have been desperately needed for years but had been lacking.

After another day of listening to Earle and listening to suggestions made by the board....

I have revised my Steve Earle list (with a new no.1 and a couple of additions). Also, for those on Spotify, i put together the playlist with all live material. Pretty good list to follow if you're a fan.

Last five songs out: [/I]

10. Johnny Come Lately

The Orangebloods universe has spoken.

9. The Devil's Right Hand

One of three songs from the Copperhead Road album to make the list.

8. I Don't Want to Lose You Yet

A favorite of mine from his 2000 album Transcendental Blues.

7. My Old Friend The Blues

One of the first songs I listened to this week that I knew would be in the top 10 as soon as I heard it.

6. Nowhere Road

The best and most memorable song off of his Exit O album.

5. Fearless Heats

One of three songs from the Guitar Town album that make the list.

4. The Mountain

If OB poster and Steve Earle soul-mate William Arnot tells me this song is his personal No.1, then it needs to be on the list. Hell, I'll sneak it into the top five.

3. Goodbye

I think a case can be made that Train A Comin' is his second best album and I'm absolutely in love with this song from the album.

2. Copperhead Road

The signature song on his signature album.

1. Guitar Town

In a close competition, I'm always going to lean to songs that I've danced to at Dallas Night Club if we're talking country music. This was a Wednesday night special.

I like the revision better Ketch. Thanks for the shout out and putting the Mountain on the list, I truly believe that song can't be ignored. I sent you an email response that had the missing parts from the email I sent last night.

On the defensive tackles, I went back another two years and found only Rod Wright in 2002, who was a late round draft choice. Amazing that the state of Texas is in a 10 year drought on defensive tackle prospects!

The Steve Earle list had me go back to listen to some of his stuff. I will reiterate that Ellis Unit One is a fantastic piece of songwriting, told from the perspective of a man who left the service and followed his father and uncles into being a prison guard tasked with execution duty. Some of the lyrics:

Well, I've seen 'em fight like lions, boys
I've seen 'em go like lambs
And I've helped to drag 'em when they could not stand
And I've heard their mamas cryin' when they heard that big door slam
And I've seen the victim's family holdin' hands

Last night I dreamed that I woke up with straps across my chest
And something cold and black pullin' through my lungs
'N even Jesus couldn't save me though I know he did his best
But he don't live on Ellis Unit One

Originally posted by BayAreaHorn:

This post was edited on 5/27 1:23 PM by BayAreaHorn
Read your OP. No, I don't think i'm saying what you think I am saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT