ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A special moment among special moments ...)

First time I saw this kid as a sophomore you could just see he wanted to win more than most.

Tough and gritty....and BIG.

I thought raw passer who forces his throws.
And not sure of his arm strength.

This year...that has changed.

Still has a hitch in his mechanics. But man his will to win is unbelievable.

I'm rooting for him....he represents us well.

Reactions: GishMD
Does . . . not . . . compute.

Can you please give your best guess why this is the case?
Ingram is probably playing hurt. Bone bruising can stick around for a wile. Until at least the bowl, but his next fresh game could easily be the spring game.

Limiting carries is the only thing you can do other than sitting out. Limits turnovers, too. Young players and injuries are a volatile mix.

Reactions: HllCountryHorn
At times we need to step back from living vicariously through our players realize these are young people, 18 , 19, 20 year olds. When I think about Sam not having his Dad around makes me choke up a bit. Sam's dad passed away when he was 14. The thought of being 14 and losing your Dad s something few of us can comprehended

God Bless you Sam for showing class, fortitude, and the drive you possess.
wonderfully spoken sir.

Reactions: Dirty T2000
BUY or SELL: Both Johnson and LJH declare?

(Sell) Neither is having a monster season statistically. I've thought all season that this would be Collin Johnson's final season in Austin, but I have a hard time believing they would both depart with just pretty good seasons on their resumes.

Right now, with arguably the toughest half of the schedule done, they are on pace for 60+ catch/900+yds/8+ TD type seasons. That's better than "pretty good" IMO, particularly given we don't throw the ball THAT Much. Not saying either will or won't go, but it's not like their stats will be what holds them back. At the end of the day, scouts will be grading them on how they translate to the NFL, not necessarily their numbers.

BUY or SELL: The Texas offensive line is the reason Texas is 5-1 and looking the best the offense has looked since the Colt era?

(Buy) Give Herb Hand a lifetime contract.

They are playing better than Colt's last 2 lines. Saturday's effort was '05/'06 type work.

advantage, Bama.

Perhaps it's because I don't watch ESPN, but I'm a little surprised by the lack of hype for this 'Bama team. Quite honestly, they very well could end up being better than '01 Miami in terms of greatest team in modern CFB history.

- We got into a huge argument on the podcast back in April (the where I almost hung up) about where we ranked each position group on offense. It would be interesting to re-rank them during the bye week. I bet you everybody on staff gives a different number on a 1 to 10 scale.

- I agree with you. I think Collin and LJH would benefit by another year in college. However, if agents tell suggest either could be a first-round pick, it could be tempting.

- Adjusting 8-4 to a higher total is a great thing. Over the past few years, we've been forced to adjust to a lower win prediction total.

- I might give Herman a slight edge over Riley because at least Tom wasn't forced to fire a defensive coordinator midseason. Right now, it is hard to argue with any of Herman's coaching hires.

- UFC is starting to look like WWE, and that has a lot to do with McGregor. He makes Dana a lot of money, but brings a circus atmosphere to the sport. When the biggest stories of the year are McGregor throwing a dolly through a bus window and a brawl after a McGregor fight, it's just a bad look.

Right now, with arguably the toughest half of the schedule done, they are on pace for 60+ catch/900+yds/8+ TD type seasons. That's better than "pretty good" IMO, particularly given we don't throw the ball THAT Much. Not saying either will or won't go, but it's not like their stats will be what holds them back. At the end of the day, scouts will be grading them on how they translate to the NFL, not necessarily their numbers.
I'm on the fence with what I think they'll do. I don't know how much them coming back helps them.

And? I ask that as it relates to NFL scouts.
It doesn't. I just wonder if they would both be happy with college careers that were on the cusp of great, but maybe not quite all the way there.

I don't know how much them coming back helps them.

Yep. I'm sure CJ's knock will be a lack of "explosion" which he isn't going to magically get in year 4. I imagine he'll get a solid grade in the first 3 rounds. If he does he's gone IMO. Seems to me he clearly is playing with a sense of urgency. Not knocking that. Just saying that's what it seems to be.

- We got into a huge argument on the podcast back in April (the where I almost hung up) about where we ranked each position group on offense. It would be interesting to re-rank them during the bye week. I bet you everybody on staff gives a different number on a 1 to 10 scale.

- I agree with you. I think Collin and LJH would benefit by another year in college. However, if agents tell suggest either could be a first-round pick, it could be tempting.

- Adjusting 8-4 to a higher total is a great thing. Over the past few years, we've been forced to adjust to a lower win prediction total.

- I might give Herman a slight edge over Riley because at least Tom wasn't forced to fire a defensive coordinator midseason. Right now, it is hard to argue with any of Herman's coaching hires.

- UFC is starting to look like WWE, and that has a lot to do with McGregor. He makes Dana a lot of money, but brings a circus atmosphere to the sport. When the biggest stories of the year are McGregor throwing a dolly through a bus window and a brawl after a McGregor fight, it's just a bad look.
1. what was the argument about? I've forgotten.

2. They need to have someone smart next to them if they are getting sold first round tall tales from agents.

3. amen.

4. True, but the guy he fired was a guy kind of forced on him. I still think we can argue about a number of Herman's hires.

5. The UFC looks worse than the WWE right now.

Yep. I'm sure CJ's knock will be a lack of "explosion" which he isn't going to magically get in year 4. I imagine he'll get a solid grade in the first 3 rounds. If he does he's gone IMO. Seems to me he clearly is playing with a sense of urgency. Not knocking that. Just saying that's what it seems to be.
we're o the same page. He's playing for a contract this season.

1. what was the argument about? I've forgotten.

2. They need to have someone smart next to them if they are getting sold first round tall tales from agents.

3. amen.

4. True, but the guy he fired was a guy kind of forced on him. I still think we can argue about a number of Herman's hires.

5. The UFC looks worse than the WWE right now.
- I had the tight ends ranked .5 higher than any other position group, and it went sideways.

- Yeah, Riley was in a tough situation. He finally had enough ammo to move on.

- McGregor is the common denominator. He insulted the man's religion, and dude Khabib snapped. McGregor has been out of control for years, but Dana likes making money, so, he puts up with it.

Reactions: trophies2
BUY or SELL: Tom Herman>Lincoln Riley?

(Sell) I'm not quite ready to go that far, but he was greater than Riley yesterdayand I'm open to the idea that it wasn't an accident.

Buy, Riley was setup for success given the last 5 years. Herman had to overhaul the whole PROGRAM and is a full year ahead at this point imo. And yes, I’m a homer! ;)

Exactly. It’s an Apples to Oranges comparison. Herman is still overhauling it. The rebuild won’t be done until he has the OL he wants (and won’t need to chase Grad transfers and Jucos) and quality depth on the DL.

Don’t disagree, but are you speaking of specific dings he has or generally? IIRC, we’ve had freshmen RBs carry a heavy load in the past.

Just that he is coming out of the early season injury. I think Ketch is correct on this one. Coaches like to rotate K and Trey to keep them fresh. Watson isn't chopped liver and they like his ball security. I think we will see about the same as the season goes on.

@Ketchum good stuff. On Beck’s performance, you omitted his two big blocks on 2 of Sam’s touchdown runs. He sealed off Murray on one and Bolton on the other. In basketball this would be assists.

- I had the tight ends ranked .5 higher than any other position group, and it went sideways.

- Yeah, Riley was in a tough situation. He finally had enough ammo to move on.

- McGregor is the common denominator. He insulted the man's religion, and dude Khabib snapped. McGregor has been out of control for years, but Dana likes making money, so, he puts up with it.
1. The tight ends are still probably the worst position group on the team.

2.Dana faked anguish on Saturday and that pissed me off.

Reactions: HerkieWalls

I'm just saying it would be interesting for everyone to do an offensive re-rank. For instance, these were your rankings:

For the record, I'd put the groups like this:

QB: 5
RB: 4
WR: 7
TE: 4
OL: 4.5

It would be a fun exercise maybe during the bye week of a future podcast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT