Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (About Quinn Ewers...)

I love the movie. LOVE IT. If it's on, I'm watching.
Scorsese’s love affair with DiCaprio is strange if you ask me. DiCaprio is a great actor but he’s not a tough guy actor. Big disconnect in casting DiCaprio as Lewis’s rival, but what do I know.

Reactions: TMarsh14
I disagree with this....
I need to see Texas land one of these kids before I believe it.

It's not a solid as oak opinion, it's just me not falling for the banana in the tailpipe with him twice.

But, hey, I'm wrong all the time. Almost everyone on the planet has been wrong on Banks at least once.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

I can't say that I know what to say about the current situation with Quinn Ewers.

As soon as his name officially hit the portal, I'll admit to thinking the following three things ...

a. Ewers transferring to Texas makes a lot of sense.
b. It's entirely possible that Texas won't be his best option.
c. Orangebloods might burn to the ground if he goes elsewhere.

Not once did the idea of him going to Texas Tech cross my mind.

Even when Texas Tech was first mentioned, I viewed the Red Raiders as a throwaway consideration, kind of like when you order salad when ordering an expensive steak. You might take a few bites of it, but you didn't order the expensive steak just to fill up on something other than the steak.

Yet, here we are. Ewers appears very, very interested in that side salad.

Sooooooo ... what exactly does this situation represent? What are the implications? What happens if it turns out that Ewers views Texas as the side salad and Texas Tech as the steak?

Let's begin by acknowledging the foundation of all the angst surrounding this situation, which is a Texas program that just went 5-7 with an offensive guru as its head coach and as things currently stand in year two with its guru, it still doesn't have a definite answer at the most important position in the sport, which just happens to be the position that Ewers plays extremely well.

Until the Texas quarterback position has a definitive answer and then that answer has other fantastic potential answers behind him, all of this matters quite a bit. The fact that the kid grew up a Texas fan, was once committed to play for the Longhorns as recently as 14 months ago, is suddenly available at a time when the Longhorns have a huge immediate need at the position and has a head coach with a history of developing guys just like Ewers into Sunday players would seem to be a recipe for landing him if he is going to choose a school inside the state of Texas.

The Tech thing is fascinating in that I'm not sure anyone could have calculated what it might mean if Tech had a relationship advantage over Texas with both the head coach (Joey McGuire vs. Steve Sarkisian) and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach (possibly Western Kentucky's Zach Kittley vs. Sarkisian/A.J. Milwee). If the primary goal is to play in a pass-happy offense that will prepare him for the NFL in two years without so much as a competition in the spring, while playing for a head coach that your mom would significantly approve of ... I guess it makes some sense.

If that happens, I'm not sure how to respond to it. There would be a segment of people that would want to suggest that this would represent a massive failure on the part of Sarkisian, but we can't view this as a Texas vs. Texas Tech battle in a vacuum. Ewers has other options because he's literally the most talented available quarterback prospect in America. He doesn't have to only choose from a pool of teams that finished outside of the AP Top 50. It's just that Texas would be the only program in the country that might have a fan base looking for a tall bridge if he doesn't choose them.

On the other hand, if Sarkisian can land Ewers, it will feel like a new lease on life on his entire tenure. This is a Texas fan base that wants so badly to be excited about its program that it will willfully allow for a new starting line for the dream of Sarkisian reign of greatness, knowing full well that it can always change its mind later (see the first two games of the 2016 season and then what happened after the 12th game of that same season). Fireworks will go off if Texas lands Ewers.

Let's not trip. Five-star quarterbacks are worth their weight in gold because they hit big at least three times the rate of the next closest ranking tier.

Should Texas miss, the position is still a major need moving forward, which means this staff will need to immediately start working on back-up players, if it hasn't already. Fresno State's Jake Haener and Central Florida's Dillon Gabriel need to be on lines one and two, if at all possible. Maybe get LSU's Myles Brennan on line three.

If you're wondering what to hope for with Ewers, the simple answer would appear to be more time. With Kittley on campus and Ewers joined by both of his parents on his visit to Lubbock, it sounds like Sunday was some sort of hang-out among friends. If it's Tech, this thing is probably over in the next 72 hours. The fact that he's already met with Texas and is scheduled to visit TCU on Monday makes me think this thing isn't going beyond midweek.

My instincts tell me the best thing that could happen is Texas getting him on a visit on Tuesday or Wednesday. Maybe it won't matter. The Texas side of things is confident. Of course, they are always confident, even when they probably shouldn't have been.

For now, we wait ...

No. 2 - ... The 2022 Texas football team got better over the weekend

Here are a collection of thoughts after linebacker DeMarvion Overshown and cornerback D'Shawn Jamison made announcements that they would turn down a chance to head off to the NFL in favor of one more season in Austin.

* Considering the depth at the linebacker position, the return of Overshown feels like a major deal that goes beyond the fact that Overshown was the team's best defensive player in 2021. There's just not a real plan in place yet to replace him when he's not in the line-up, which makes not having to do such a win.

* It's not an understatement to say that Overshown had bigger expectations for himself than finishing as an honorable mention All-Big 12 player. After being such a playmaker for the 2020 team, Overshown simply didn't make as many game-changing plays in 2021.

* Going into next season, this staff has to find a way to get Overshown in a position to make those types of game-changing plays. Is this a linebacker-friendly defense, or not?

* As for Jamison, I'm really not sure how to describe his junior season other than massively disappointing after going from a pre-season All-Big 12 selection before the season to a level of performance that had many questioning whether he should keep his starting job. He's made 30+ starts in his career going into 2022, but I'm not sure what the expectations for him need to be.

* I'm not sure these moves could have happened without the emergence of NIL earnings for these players. There's no question in my mind that its viability was a major plus for Overshown, who could have gone to the NFL and likely been a mid-round pick at worst had he declared for the Draft. I'm just not sure that playing for free (no offense to his scholarship being paid for) could continue to represent a viable option. You don't have to like this new NIL age, but you need to know that it is improving the quality of life for a lot of young people.

No. 3 - A look at the scholarship board ...

After a few comings and goings this week, here's an updated look at the scholarship board.

A few thoughts...

1. Just a reminder that the Longhorns currently have 21 commitments. From an accounting standpoint, the Longhorns will be able to move one of the scholarships from the 2022 class into the 2021 numbers because the Longhorns have one unused slot in the 2021 class. The NCAA is allowing teams to take as many as 32 incoming players (at this point). Assuming that Texas ends up with enough attrition, it still has 12 incoming slots available.

2. It remains to be seen how the NCAA will treat players like Overshown and Jamison who will return for extra seasons. It's possible that the NCAA will grandfather those extra seasons of eligibility so that they don't count against the 85-man numbers like it did this season, but nothing is set in stone at this point. Stay tuned.

3. Depending on how the NCAA D1 Council rules on the matter of COVID years being cashed in for the 2022 season, the Longhorns need either 7 (if the current scholarship number is 80) or 9 (if the current scholarship number is 82) more players to leave before August in order for the Longhorns to take the full 32 new incoming players that the NCAA will currently allow.

4. Cornerback Anthony Cook isn't listed on the scholarship board yet because there has been no official word yet on his status. Attempts to confirm his status this weekend failed. Stay tuned.

View attachment 1831

No. 4 - About Devon Campbell ...

The news on Sunday that Arlington Bowie five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell will take a second official visit to USC next weekend is less than optimal.

I don't want to sound like I'm screaming "fire!" in a crowded theater, but alarm bells are going off in my head.

There's probably not a worse wildcard that could have been thrown in the face of this recruitment if you're Texas than Lincoln Riley taking the USC job. For the very first time in his recruitment, I'm concerned for Texas.

No. 5 - Sprinkling in some good news ...

In case you haven't read the Instant Analysis for tonight's Kobie McKenzie commitment, here's a spoiler.

"There's really not anyone else in the state quite like the 6-3, 225-pound McKenzie, who oozes the look of an SEC-style linebacker because of full-grown man size as a prospect. Make no mistake about it, McKenzie is definitely the first guy off the bus for Lubbock Cooper and likely has been since his sophomore season. What's great about him is that he combined that impressive frame with a powerhouse game as an interior linebacker prospect. Possessing the speed and athleticism to play sideline to sideline, the physical traits needed to be an impact player in college and potentially a Sunday player are there. Most of his success as a high school player comes from running sideline to sideline and basically wildin' all over the field. He's a fun dude to watch play football. Does he have the natural instincts to stay inside? That's almost always an impossible question to answer with a player at this level. Will he potentially emerge as a possible threat at the edge or even Buck positions? It's not outside the realm of possibilities at all. The bottom line is that he's a very physically enticing player when projecting to the next level and he's actually a really good football player and not just a guy who thrives in a camp setting."

No. 6 – A huge weekend looms …

All you need to know about the path for the Texas volleyball team in its quest for a national championship is that long-time foe Nebraska looms in the Elite 8.

Get your freaking popcorn ready.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) I don't know that I believe that any more than I believe landing him automatically saves the Sark era. There's a lot of work to do and the quarterback position is just a piece of the puzzle. It's a huge piece of the puzzle, but it's still just a single piece.

(Sell) I'm expecting changes. Plural. Sarkisian can't sit with a pat hand.

(Sell) No offense to the current meltdowns, but this doesn't remotely feel like the worst levels we've ever seen.

(Buy) Yeah, I'll jump on that grenade. It sounds like he's way more open to joining Texas than he is against it.

(Sell) I need to see more of this roster rebuild before I'm ready to make that leap of faith.

(Sell) If Ewers is important enough to him that he would switch his commitment with his arrival, he likely would have had an indication of things before a week ago. That doesn't pass my logic test, but that probably means it's more on the table than I would believe.

(Sell) Fixing the quarterback position is the most important thing on Sark's to-do-list. He has multiple major areas of fixing.

(Sell) Most of the "me-first" stuff I saw in college football over the weekend came from coaches.

(Buy) Great question. Maybe it won't happen this year, but it seems like something that will eventually have to happen. It's just hard for me to believe that Sarkisian will ever trust him again.

(Buy) He literally just entered the Portal about 48 hours ago. It wasn't some willy-nilly decision to enter the Portal. There has been planning.

(Sell) A Jim Harbaugh rebuild included a 10-3 year one. Then 10-3 in year two. Outside of a disaster COVID season, he won 9+ games in 4 of his first 5 seasons as a coach. Let's not pretend that the reputation of the last decade was built on undervaluing 10-win seasons.

(Sell) Two questions like this. Is this a thing that people are thinking? It's never even crossed my mind. Honestly.

(Sell) Give me the bird in hand. Texas needs help NOW.

(Sell) If Banks flips, I've thought for about a month he'd flip to A&M.

(Buy) I mean ... yeah.

(Buy) The Wolverines might just win the whole damn thing. None of these teams are unbeatable. They all bleed.

(Sell) He'd brings something this program needs a little more of ... toughness. Also, his eye for talent is second to none. There's a lot of value there.

(Buy) I don't think he's coached his last college football game.

(Buy) It feels rather unreasonable to think it didn't or wouldn't have a big impact on his play in the final half of the season.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the sports weekend ...

... Bravo, Dave Aranda. That was one hell of a coaching job. In my mind, we just witnessed the single best single-season coaching performance in the history of the Big 12. His team was predicted to finish the season eighth in the conference.

... Oklahoma hiring Brent Venables means they didn't hire Aranda. That feels like a major win for Texas. No offense to Venables or any OU fans that want a hug following his hire.

... The Miami Hurricanes might just make a better, more impressive hire IMO.

... Alabama beat Georgia so badly that I'm not convinced at all that the Dawgs deserve to be in the playoff. That being said, I'm still picking them to beat Michigan.

... I feel for John Metchie. That dude was a few weeks away from getting seriously paid.

... Louisiana went freaking 11-1 on the season after losing to Texas. Go figure.

... Maybe this dude needed to be playing more when he was in Austin.

... Look...If you had one shot... Or one opportunity... to seize everything you ever wanted In one moment... would you capture it? Or just let it slip?

No. 9 - Top 10 Daniel Day Lewis movies ...

Personally, I think he's the greatest actor of my lifetime and ranking his Top 10 is long overdue.

You can't convince me otherwise.

10. The Boxer
9. A Room With a View
8. The Age of Innocence
7. In The Name of The father
6. Lincoln
5. The Last of the Mohicans
4. My Left Foot
3. Phantom Thread
2. There Will Be Blood
1. Gangs of New York

That;'s right. I have Gangs of New York as my No.1. I will stand on the table for it.

No. 10 - And Finally...

This was my favorite thing from the weekend.

that Elle Duncan piece on Brian Kelly is hilarious- I wont be surprised to hear BK to start talking about Foosball before long

good list on DDL

I need to see Texas land one of these kids before I believe it.

It's not a solid as oak opinion, it's just me not falling for the banana in the tailpipe with him twice.

But, hey, I'm wrong all the time. Almost everyone on the planet has been wrong on Banks at least once.

This might be the one that gives sark and Flood their first big win.... Not including Ewers which would be huge too.

• Wow
Reactions: Horn19 and cooleyo
Hopefully all but we know that's not going to happen. For now at least 2 with 2 more being servicable would work.
That would be what the math says you should probably expect with median-level development. If this staff is really good, I think hitting 3 should be the hope.

What can't happen is what happened with the 2016 DL group

Feel like we’re on the edge of some much needed excitement or further decline in a fan apathy. The next 7 days are going to define the next 10 months.

Knowing now that instead of just a visit to Lubbock, Sark has done an in home and Ewers is visiting TCU, what would you place the odds at him landing with us?

Feel like we’re on the edge of some much needed excitement or further decline in a fan apathy. The next 7 days are going to define the next 10 months.
It'll start to define. There's a lot of work to be done.

Reactions: DKinnamon
That would be what the math says you should probably expect with median-level development. If this staff is really good, I think hitting 3 should be the hope.

What can't happen is what happened with the 2016 DL group
We need at least one of them to be a for sure pass rushing freak (Ossasi clone). That was sorely missed on this years team and it badly showed and IMO was a key to how porely the defense perfromed.

Reactions: Motherlonghorn