ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Buechele has the higher ground)

gif-31.gif
Too funny. Who is that by the way?

I've had a running bet with myself for a while since I had a kid. Which would happen first? I would get some sleep in my house or Texas would have two good QBs fighting it out to lead the team. Is that light I see?

All I got outta this was that Ketch believes we have the 5th best QB in the Big12 and he is not even the starter yet and has throw only in practice. This is either one terrible league of qb's (entirely possible) or he really believes we may have something here in Shane. I certainly didn't expect to see you even attempt to rank a kid that has only been in practice so far. I like that someone believes there is hope at the qb position. So so many months before we know anything. I do like that the offense is more catered to what he does well. If he's the 5th best QB, we can win 7 to 8 games. So much fun! This has been such a torturous team to follow for 6 years. Thanks for the optimism.

Shane had an offensive line with three senior bad Mofos upfront and a junior tackle soon headed to the pros.

No one on this team is Jamaal Charles. Limas Sweed was already a big game player. Shipley was in his third year. Come on, let's not spin this for the sake of spinning.

Ketch, with your statements about 4 carry Malcolm Brown, I am surprised you are accusing me of spinning anything. At least my "spin" deals with a possible future, as yet, unknown to us. Your's is in direct contradiction to what has happened in the very recent past.

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

I don't think anyone would suggest the skill players aren't talented. It's just not what the 2006 group was.
Shane had an offensive line with three senior bad Mofos upfront and a junior tackle soon headed to the pros.

No one on this team is Jamaal Charles. Limas Sweed was already a big game player. Shipley was in his third year. Come on, let's not spin this for the sake of spinning.

Yikes. Trying to make a fellow feel like Amir Kahn.

His career justified a flyer in the draft IMO, as does the fact that he made the team as an undrafted free agent.

I mentioned that average came with very limited sample size. Interesting you ignored everything else.

Yes, Tower of Joy.

I just don't see Charlie going in that direction. He knows...

Five years.

I don't think anyone would suggest the skill players aren't talented. It's just not what the 2006 group was.

Ketchum don't fear the multi-quote.

I've had a running bet with myself for a while since I had a kid. Which would happen first? I would get some sleep in my house or Texas would have two good QBs fighting it out to lead the team. Is that light I see?
might not be pitch dark, if nothing else.

All I got outta this was that Ketch believes we have the 5th best QB in the Big12 and he is not even the starter yet and has throw only in practice. This is either one terrible league of qb's (entirely possible) or he really believes we may have something here in Shane. I certainly didn't expect to see you even attempt to rank a kid that has only been in practice so far. I like that someone believes there is hope at the qb position. So so many months before we know anything. I do like that the offense is more catered to what he does well. If he's the 5th best QB, we can win 7 to 8 games. So much fun! This has been such a torturous team to follow for 6 years. Thanks for the optimism.
who that I slotted behind him would you flip-flop?

… Can you believe Texas once had Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers on the same defensive line?
I'll never forget the Nebraska game in Lincoln in 1997. Nebraska lined up in the I to run the ball down our throats, and lo and behold, after 15 years of suckitude, our two monster, future Pro bowl NFL tackles, stuffed them. and then Ricky started bouncing off of and bursting through people..cool day!

Yes, on four carries, one of which went for 13 yards.
All this talk about the ypc is besides the point. I agree it's hardly a large sample. But Ketch made a better point with Brown ending up on the 53 rostet. He made the squad and has been productive in a limited role. So, no bust label, and perhaps was over looked as well.

Can you believe Texas once had Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers on the same defensive line?

Best we ever had.
If memory serves, Redding was a DE for that line, and at one point all three Rogers, Hampton and Redding became the league's highest paid DTs. Funny to remember that Redding was a LB coming out of HS. He ate his way to a pretty big payday.

If memory serves, Redding was a DE for that line, and at one point all three Rogers, Hampton and Redding became the league's highest paid DTs. Funny to remember that Redding was a LB coming out of HS. He ate his way to a pretty big payday.
Redding wasn't there quite yet as a full-time player.

Kalen Thornton played more with those two than Redding did.

I wouldn't say that. Thornton arrived a year after Redding. Redding was a backup DE in '99 (Woodard and Hump were the starters) then slid into starting role in '00 alongside Hamp and Shaun who were gone after that season. But Thornton did play a lot alongside them in his one year with them.

Not sure when we'll see another Jamaal. However, "third year" or not, the truth is that Shipley hadn't even stepped on the field in either year d/t injuries. He was very much Bigfoot heading into the '06 season.

I wouldn't say that. Thornton arrived a year after Redding. Redding was a backup DE in '99 (Woodard and Hump were the starters) then slid into starting role in '00 alongside Hamp and Shaun who were gone after that season. But Thornton did play a lot alongside them in his one year with them.
Thornton started every game in 2000, I believe, or almost every game. Basically, they played the same amount.

Not sure when we'll see another Jamaal. However, "third year" or not, the truth is that Shipley hadn't even stepped on the field in either year d/t injuries. He was very much Bigfoot heading into the '06 season.
Shipley was the best wide receiver on campus from 2004 on, his injury status didn't change that.

Shipley was the best wide receiver on campus from 2004 on, his injury status didn't change that.

Ok, let's not rewrite history. We're talking a guy who had a major knee injury his first year. Then torn a hamstring or whatever his second season. Then after 2 years of finally being healthy his combined numbers were 43 catches for 600+ yards. IMO you are being a little intellectually dishonest at this point. Nobody was projecting Shipley in '06 to put up numbers like he did in '08 and '09.

Ok, let's not rewrite history. We're talking a guy who had a major knee injury his first year. Then torn a hamstring or whatever his second season. Then after 2 years of finally being healthy his combined numbers were 43 catches for 600+ yards. IMO you are being a little intellectually dishonest at this point. Nobody was projecting Shipley in '06 to put up numbers like he did in '08 and '09.
I'm not rewriting anything. Shipley would have been a true freshman starter in 2004 had he been healthy. He would have started on the 2005 team.

Considering I covered every single off-season work out and practice back then because it was allowed, I know what I'm talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT