Ketch's 10 thoughts From The Weekend (Confidence is very, very high - Part II)

Let me defend my UT becomes WR U thought.

Worthy last season and now with Mahomes.
This season we are stacked beyond belief at WR. Which should last another season.

We have QE this year and Arch two years thereafter.

With all this QB/WR talent the last year through at least 2026, we could end up the most feared passing team in the country.

Need to make sure our OL and Flood continue to improve.
Texas still has only one WR in the first round in the last... two decades.

Adrian Peterson should probably be on that list.

Glad to see you included the Babe. And you’re right she should have been higher. Most on here are too young to appreciate

Reactions: Russhorn
... I can't get enough of women's beach volleyball. Why isn't this on in prime time every weekend?
Welcome to the club. And UT is going to have a championship caliber beach program within a few years. Get on board now!

ps - I've actually designated part of my OneFund contribution to go to beach volleyball. Can't wait to see the team and the new stadium once it's built..

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

I found myself thinking about the 2005 national championship team this weekend.

Originally, I was locked in on a position-by-position, side-by-side analysis of the 2024 Longhorns vs. Mack Brown's legacy squad, but before I could get knee-deep into the comparisons, I started to think about how the national championship team in 2005 wasn't a national championship team when the season started.

The Rose Bowl champions from the previous season finished fifth in the nation in the final AP Poll and fourth in the Coaches Poll. Last year's Longhorns finished third in the AP Poll and fourth in the Coaches Poll. As crazy as it might sound to compare the current team to arguably the greatest team in the history of the sport, the starting points aren't too dissimilar.

Both teams lost big-time players to the NFL. Both teams returned starting quarterbacks, a stable of running backs, an imposing offensive line, edge players to frighten opposing defenses, a single bad-ass linebacker and a plethora of NFL talent in the secondary.

In terms of returning elite players, the 2024 team returns an All-American in Kelvin Banks, while the 2005 team returned All-American Jonathan Scott. The edge that the 2005 team had in terms of elite players that returned from 2004 comes in the form of returning All-American safety Michael Huff and All-American Rod Wright. Neither were consensus All-Americans, but they were named All-American as juniors.

But, that's just the starting point.

What matters most is what the 2005 team ended with, which was seven players that earned All-American honors, including four who earned consensus first-team All-America honors. Vince Young was a Heisman Finalist. Michael Huff won the Thorpe Award. Wright was a Lombardi Finalist

That's the bar. If you're going to win a national championship, you're going to need something in the ballpark of six All-Americans to get there. That's how many Michigan had a year ago. Georgia's two championship teams from 2021-22 averaged 6.5 per year and featured four consensus first-team All-Americans on each.

When we look towards the 2024 Longhorns, you can take Kelvin Banks to the ... well ... you can take him to the bank. Outside of Banks, at least four or five more players on this team are going to need to step into the elite category if competing for a national championship is going to be a realistic goal.

The most obvious answers to the question of who has to step up reside on the SEC pre-season second-team list: quarterback Quinn Ewers, running back CJ Baxter, wide receiver Isaiah Bond, center Jake Majors, linebacker Anthony Hill, defensive back Jahdae Barron, defensive back Andrew Mukuba and defensive back Malik Muhammad. Go ahead and throw third-team edge Trey Moore into the mix.

It's possible that someone like D.J. Campbell could emerge as the type of nationally elite player that we're talking about, but most likely the 2024 Longhorns will need four or five names from the nine listed above to reach elite heights if Texas is going to win a championship. Not good or very good or occasionally great ... elite.

No. 2 - Scattershooting on the first few days of practice ...

... The next six days will be the most important days of camp. Saturday's scrimmage is the "show me" scrimmage. The coaches have said that they'll have an idea of a tentative three-deep after the first scrimmage and then they'll lock in on a two-deep after the second scrimmage two Saturdays from now. Everything after that will mostly be focused on getting ready for week one and the start of the season. If you're trying to win a position or a job or a spot on the two-deep, the time to do so is now ... not later.

... With pads coming on this week, we're going to know a lot more about what we should make of the defensive tackle position pretty soon.

... Ryan Wingo just keeps generating buzz. None of this is a fluke. He's going to play a lot.

... Silas Bolden continues to impress.

... "Nothing is really any clearer at wide receiver, except Wingo is going to play a lot," a source said when asked about the battle at wide receiver through Saturday's practice.

... Had a source mention this weekend that the next seven days of practice will be the most important days of Justice Finkley's career as a Longhorn because he's currently working with the second-team at edge, but he's going to need to elevate his play in order to hold off Colin Simmons. If Simmons passes Finkley, it's likely that he'll never look back and it will leave Finkley in potentially a no-man's land type of position when trying to carve out a role in his third season.

... It's kind of crazy to continue to hear Juan Davis' name as a standout, but he's continuing to perform well and it seems like he's definitely playing his way into certified playing time as a senior.

... How have four practices gone by and there's virtually zero Arch Manning buzz? Is the world ending?

No. 3 - Confidence is very, very high (Part II) ...

A few follow-up notes ...

a. There's a feeling that things are coming together on three fronts ... uncommitted prospects, a few flip targets and potential transfer portal targets in December/January.

b. As it relates to the non-Portal targets, confidence is high with 5-star level targets. One source mentioned to me that this class could be historically good if things come together like those behind the scenes anticipate it becoming.

c. Texas NIL's reputation behind the scenes on the national level might not be that they'll pay the most, but they do have perhaps an even better reputation ... they pay on time. Every time. The reliability factor is an area that has the Longhorns in the cat bird's seat with agents and player reps. Oh, and if you're wondering ... yes ... agents/reps are already putting out feelers for the future, including reps of players that haven't even played a down for their respective colleges at this point.

d. In order for the Longhorns to maximize their efforts, the play on the field in 2024 can't lag. There's real sense that Texas needs to be a national factor on a top-five scale. One person told me this weekend that finishing 8-12 isn't good enough.

No. 4 – Hello, Kaliq Lockett ...

We're less than 72 hours away from Sachse 2025 wide receiver Kaliq Lockett announcing his college decision and things still look very good for the Longhorns. In fact, I'm not sure that any of the schools competing for Lockett are confident at all going into Wednesday's announcement.

Just for the record, I'm not sure that anyone has been as high on Lockett during the recruiting process as I have.

Check out what I said about Lockett in February of 2023 when I debuted him at No. 5 in my LSR rankings: "You could talk me into Lockett being the best receiver prospect in the state because he' a little bigger than Moore and might be a better athlete. One thing is certain, he seems like the best after the catch receiver in the state. Just get him the ball because he's a good enough athlete once he gets his hands on the ball that he can score in just about any way you'd want to see a receiver score. Might not quite be the pound for pound football player that Moore is, but he might be slightly more breathtaking as a receiver."

Obviously, I was wrong about his athleticism ... he's not more athletic than Dakorien Moore, but it speaks to how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands that my initial impression of him is that he might have been.

The bottom line is that I love the kid and while he might not be at the level of Moore, he still would rank as one of the top six or seven wide receivers that the Longhorns have signed in the last two decades.

No. 5 - Updated Texas Longhorns Football Scholarship Board ...

454156063_860989745380681_8112556297978343976_n.jpg

No. 6 – Just call her the G.O.A.T.

Julien Alfred went into the Olympics this week as a Mount Rushmore-level female athlete at The University of Texas.

We're talking about a woman who carried the Longhorns to a national title by becoming only the sixth woman (and first in a decade) to go back-to-back as the NCAA champion in the 100 meters. She won the national title in the 200. She led the 4X100 meter relay team to a national title for good measure.

The pride of St. Lucia was already on the short list with the likes of Cat Osterman, Clarrisa Davis and Carlette Guidry on the Texas Women's Athlete Mount Rushmore, but it might be time to acknowledge that she's the greatest women's athlete in school history. Full stop.

That's the kind of juice your resume holds when you follow up an all-time great collegiate resume with being the fastest woman in the world and a gold medal winner in the 100 meters at the Olympics.

Consider that Guidry is rightfully regarded as one of the top 10 women's athletes in the history of the state of Texas after winning a pair of gold medals in 1992 and 1996 in the 4X100 relay, but she never won a major International event as an individual. Consider that Osterman won gold in Athens back in 2004, but she never led the Longhorns to a national title. Consider that Davis led the Longhorns to a national title, but never won gold at the Olympics and was never considered the best in the world at her sport.

I don't want to be someone that is only living in the moment, but her resume is her resume. It can't be topped by a single women's athlete in the history of Texas Athletics.

No. 7 - A few more burnt orange Olympics thoughts to chew on ...

... Kevin Durant is the all-time leader in men's USA basketball in both points, points per game and rebounds. He's six points away from passing Lisa Leslie for the highest scorer in Texas USA history (regardless of sex). He's sitting on three gold medals and possibly a week away from his fourth. Opinions very on his place on the all-time great NBA players list, but it's pretty hard to dispute that he's going to retire as the greatest player in the history of Team USA. Marinate on that for a moment.

... It might be time to put Ryan Crouser in the Longhorns Hall of Honor, even if he is still competing. When a man wins gold in three consecutive Olympics, you just have to make an exception. Is he the best UT athlete that gets the least amount of appreciation? He's literally the greatest performer in the history of his sport. No other Texas athlete can quite claim that.

... All Scottie Scheffler needed to do on Sunday was shoot a 62 to win Olympics gold after starting the day four shots behind on the leaderboard. Ho hum. He did it.

... Alfred will be back on the track on Tuesday when she competes in a loaded field in the 200 meters.

... I'm not sure there's enough appreciation for what Texas athletes are doing in Paris.

... Here are the remaining UT athletes that are left to compete in Paris this week:

Men

* Kevin Durant - Men's Basketball - United States - Basketball (Tuesday quarterfinals)

Women

* Mariam Abdul-Rashid Women's - Track & Field - Canada - 100m hurdles (Wednesday)
* Rhasidat Adeleke - Women's Track & Field - Ireland - 400m (Monday)
* Julien Alfred Women's Track & Field - Saint Lucia - 200m (Monday)
* Yvonne Anderson - Women's Basketball - Serbia - Basketball (Wednesday quarterfinals)
* Emelia Chatfield - Women's Track & Field - Haiti - 100m hurdles (Wednesday)
* Tara Davis-Woodhall - Women's Track & Field - United States - Long Jump (Tuesday)
* Alison Gibson - Women's Diving - United States 3-meter - Springboard (Wednesday)
* Sara Kouskova - Women's Golf - Czech Republic - Individual Stroke Play (Wednesday)
* Chiaka Ogbogu - Women's Volleyballv - United States - Team Indoor Volleyball (Tuesday quarterfinals)
* Ackelia Smith - Women's Track & Field - Jamaica - Long Jump (Tuesday)
* Lanae-Tava Thomas - Women's Track & Field - Jamaica - 200m (Monday)
* Stacey-Ann Williams - Women's Track & Field - Jamaica - 400m (Monday), 4x400m relay (Friday)

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

buy-sell-stock-market_1-800x445.jpg

(Sell) Jerry is 81, which means he probably has a good 20 years left in him. We all might have to wait until 2050 or so.

(Sell) He's not going to play that much, but it's amazing we're having this conversation.

(Sell) Isaiah Bond is going to be WR1. The No. 2 spot might rotate by the week.

(Sell) Come on...

(Sell) I spent a few hours pondering this ... I think I love movies more.

(Buy) That's probably the right number. I'm going to take the over.

(Buy) I'm leaning towards yes more than no.

(Sell) No, I expect Texas to do better. For example, I believe they will land Michael Fasusi.

(Sell) I believe Texas wins the game, but will be 6-1 afterwards and in the top 5.

(Sell) An SEC title vs. going out in the quarterfinals (but winning a game before the quarterfinals) is pretty easy for me ... give me the SEC title.

(Sell) No one has stunted Cook's growth. He needs to be more consistent and he'll be a critical starter in his second year.

(Sell) Nah, I don't have that vibe.

(Buy) I believe it.

white wolf GIF

(Sell) I think he's the 5-star Brockermeyer never was.

No. 9 – Scattershooting all over the place …

... Holy hell, that was some kind of men's 100 meters final. Give it up to Noah Myles for backing that talk up with action. He's officially a legend. Also, shot out to Taylor, Texas star Fred Kerley for taking home the bronze.

... Shout out to NBC for doing an A+ job of presentation throughout the Olympics. The Gold Zone channel is freaking money.

... I can't get enough of women's beach volleyball. Why isn't this on in prime time every weekend?

... Why does the USA suck so bad in 3X3 hoops?

... Novac Djokovic did some GOAT stuff on Sunday. There sure seem to be a lot of GOATs in Paris.

... We really need to appreciate the greatness of Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky. These women are for all-time.

... Bring on the pre-season NFL games. I'm ready.

... As things stand, I am not playing fantasy football this season. I just don't have the urge. Maybe I just need a break.

... Remember when many of you thought Xavier Worthy had issue catching the ball. It turns out he did ... when he had a broken hand.

... I'm not getting cocky at all, but I'm excited by what I'm seeing from Arse Slot's Liverpool squad.

... If you're a USA-born NBA superstar that isn't playing on Team USA, you're not a superstar. You're a notch below that.

... Blake Snell threw a no-hitter this weekend and I'm not sure anyone even paused to notice.

... Please, Phillies, wake the hell up!

... Terence Crawford fought this weekend ... did anyone even notice?

... Tony Ferguson has lost eight straights fights in the UFC? I feel like I blinked and he went from borderline champion to all-time losing streak, but it's been more than five years since he won a fight.

... It feels like I'm the only person in America that hasn't seen "Deadpool and Wolverine" yet. It's officially the biggest R-rated movie of all-time at the box office. Is it time to do a Ryan Reynolds Top 10?

... Aerosmith is officially done with concert tours. I'm glad I was able to see the band a couple of times along the way. Steven Tyler's voice had a hell of a run.

No. 10 – The List: Top 10 Greatest Athletes From The State of Texas …

I can't believe I've never done this before in almost two decades of writing this column.,

We're not splitting up the sexes, either. It's a combined men's and women's list.

Here are the rules...

a. Being born in Texas qualifies you, unless a person moved away from Texas before they started playing their respective sport. For instance, Frank Robinson was born in Beaumont, but moved to California when he was an infant.
b. If a person was born in another state, but spent their formative years inside the state of Texas ... they are a Texan.

(Note: Shaquille O'Neal moved to Texas when he was 16 years old right before his junior year in high school. Whether I'm right or wrong, I've decided to leave him out of the discussion, although he'd rank in the top five if included.)

Let's get on with the list ...

Last 5 out: Roger Hornsby, Drew Brees, Ernie Banks, Jack Johnson and Adrian Peterson

10. Byron Nelson (Waxahachie/Golf)

He's the Earl Campbell of golf, retiring at the age of 34 after having won five majors, 64 professional events and posted the second-longest streak of consecutive cuts made (113). The streak of consecutive cuts is second only to Tiger Woods' 142.

9. Michael Johnson (Dallas/Track)

One of world's greatest sprinters of all time, who set world records in the 200, 300 and 400 meters, while winning back-to-back gold medals in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics. Won 16 medals at major competitions in his career and all 16 of them were gold.

8. Babe Didrikson Zaharias (Beaumont/Golf/Track)

One of the greatest female athletes of all-time. Won two gold medals in the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles and ranks fourth all-time in gold majors victories in the LPGA. Should she be higher on the list? Maybe. Yet, she's not regarded as one of the all-time great track stars and she wasn't the best the best LPGA player of her era. She's both lifted up and held down by her era.

7. Earl Campbell (Tyler/Football)

Although his apex might have been shorter than many on this list, at the height of his powers there's never been anyone else like him ... ever. A three-time Offensive Player of the Year and the NFL's MVP in 1979, I'd feel like I was committing a sin to leave him off the list.

6. Nolan Ryan (Alvin/Baseball)

Baseball's all-time strikeout leader, a member of MLB's all-century team and the sport's all-time leader in no-hitters.

5. Patrick Mahomes (Whitehouse/Football)

A three-time Super Bowl MVP, a two-time league MVP and a player that will go down as one of the top 2-3 quarterbacks in the history of football by the time he retires.

4. George Foreman (Houston/Boxing)

A gold medalist in the 1968 Olympics and a two-time world heavyweight boxing champion, who knocked out Joe Frazier in the second round. After losing the heavyweight title in 1974 to Muhammad Ali, he won the title again at the age of 45 when he knocked out Michael Moorer.

3. Roger Clemens (Houston/Baseball)

I don't care about the HGH/steroids stuff. The man won seven Cy Young Awards, won 300+ games, struck out 4,000+ batters and was a member of MLB's all-century team.

2. Ben Hogan (Fort Worth/Golf)

One of the greatest golfers that ever lived. Is tied for fourth all-time with nine career major wins and is one of only five players to ever win all four majors.

1. Simone Biles (Spring/Gymnastics)

She's the greatest gymnast and the only athlete on the list that can make that claim about their sport. She owns seven gold medals 23 world championships gold medals and has about five different skills that have been named after her because no one else has ever done them.
Doubling down. Strong move Cotton! But let’s go!

200w.gif

Originally, I was locked in on a position-by-position, side-by-side analysis of the 2024 Longhorns vs. Mack Brown's legacy squad, but before I could get knee-deep into the comparisons, I started to think about how the national championship team in 2005 wasn't a national championship team when the season started.

The Rose Bowl champions from the previous season finished fifth in the nation in the final AP Poll and fourth in the Coaches Poll. Last year's Longhorns finished third in the AP Poll and fourth in the Coaches Poll. As crazy as it might sound to compare the current team to arguably the greatest team in the history of the sport, the starting points aren't too dissimilar.

Both teams lost big-time players to the NFL. Both teams returned starting quarterbacks, a stable of running backs, an imposing offensive line, edge players to frighten opposing defenses, a single bad-ass linebacker and a plethora of NFL talent in the secondary.

In terms of returning elite players, the 2024 team returns an All-American in Kelvin Banks, while the 2005 team returned All-American Jonathan Scott. The edge that the 2005 team had in terms of elite players that returned from 2004 comes in the form of returning All-American safety Michael Huff and All-American Rod Wright. Neither were consensus All-Americans, but they were named All-American as juniors.

What matters most is what the 2005 team ended with, which was seven players that earned All-American honors, including four who earned consensus first-team All-America honors. Vince Young was a Heisman Finalist. Michael Huff won the Thorpe Award. Wright was a Lombardi Finalist

That's the bar. If you're going to win a national championship, you're going to need something in the ballpark of six All-Americans to get there. That's how many Michigan had a year ago. Georgia's two championship teams from 2021-22 averaged 6.5 per year and featured four consensus first-team All-Americans on each.

When we look towards the 2024 Longhorns, you can take Kelvin Banks to the ... well ... you can take him to the bank. Outside of Banks, at least four or five more players on this team are going to need to step into the elite category if competing for a national championship is going to be a realistic goal.

The most obvious answers to the question of who has to step up reside on the SEC pre-season second-team list: quarterback Quinn Ewers, running back CJ Baxter, wide receiver Isaiah Bond, center Jake Majors, linebacker Anthony Hill, defensive back Jahdae Barron, defensive back Andrew Mukuba and defensive back Malik Muhammad. Go ahead and throw third-team edge Trey Moore into the mix.

It's possible that someone like D.J. Campbell could emerge as the type of nationally elite player that we're talking about, but most likely the 2024 Longhorns will need four or five names from the nine listed above to reach elite heights if Texas is going to win a championship. Not good or very good or occasionally great ... elite.

... The next six days will be the most important days of camp. Saturday's scrimmage is the "show me" scrimmage. The coaches have said that they'll have an idea of a tentative three-deep after the first scrimmage and then they'll lock in on a two-deep after the second scrimmage two Saturdays from now. Everything after that will mostly be focused on getting ready for week one and the start of the season. If you're trying to win a position or a job or a spot on the two-deep, the time to do so is now ... not later.

... With pads coming on this week, we're going to know a lot more about what we should make of the defensive tackle position pretty soon.

... Ryan Wingo just keeps generating buzz. None of this is a fluke. He's going to play a lot.

... "Nothing is really any clearer at wide receiver, except Wingo is going to play a lot," a source said when asked about the battle at wide receiver through Saturday's practice.

... Had a source mention this weekend that the next seven days of practice will be the most important days of Justice Finkley's career as a Longhorn because he's currently working with the second-team at edge, but he's going to need to elevate his play in order to hold off Colin Simmons. If Simmons passes Finkley, it's likely that he'll never look back and it will leave Finkley in potentially a no-man's land type of position when trying to carve out a role in his third season.

... It's kind of crazy to continue to hear Juan Davis' name as a standout, but he's continuing to perform well and it seems like he's definitely playing his way into certified playing time as a senior.

... How have four practices gone by and there's virtually zero Arch Manning buzz? Is the world ending?

a. There's a feeling that things are coming together on three fronts ... uncommitted prospects, a few flip targets and potential transfer portal targets in December/January.

b. As it relates to the non-Portal targets, confidence is high with 5-star level targets. One source mentioned to me that this class could be historically good if things come together like those behind the scenes anticipate it becoming.

c. Texas NIL's reputation behind the scenes on the national level might not be that they'll pay the most, but they do have perhaps an even better reputation ... they pay on time. Every time. The reliability factor is an area that has the Longhorns in the cat bird's seat with agents and player reps. Oh, and if you're wondering ... yes ... agents/reps are already putting out feelers for the future, including reps of players that haven't even played a down for their respective colleges at this point.

d. In order for the Longhorns to maximize their efforts, the play on the field in 2024 can't lag. There's real sense that Texas needs to be a national factor on a top-five scale. One person told me this weekend that finishing 8-12 isn't good enough.

We're less than 72 hours away from Sachse 2025 wide receiver Kaliq Lockett announcing his college decision and things still look very good for the Longhorns. In fact, I'm not sure that any of the schools competing for Lockett are confident at all going into Wednesday's announcement.

Just for the record, I'm not sure that anyone has been as high on Lockett during the recruiting process as I have.

Check out what I said about Lockett in February of 2023 when I debuted him at No. 5 in my LSR rankings: "You could talk me into Lockett being the best receiver prospect in the state because he' a little bigger than Moore and might be a better athlete. One thing is certain, he seems like the best after the catch receiver in the state. Just get him the ball because he's a good enough athlete once he gets his hands on the ball that he can score in just about any way you'd want to see a receiver score. Might not quite be the pound for pound football player that Moore is, but he might be slightly more breathtaking as a receiver."

Obviously, I was wrong about his athleticism ... he's not more athletic than Dakorien Moore, but it speaks to how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands that my initial impression of him is that he might have been.

The bottom line is that I love the kid and while he might not be at the level of Moore, he still would rank as one of the top six or seven wide receivers that the Longhorns have signed in the last two decades.

Julien Alfred went into the Olympics this week as a Mount Rushmore-level female athlete at The University of Texas.

We're talking about a woman who carried the Longhorns to a national title by becoming only the sixth woman (and first in a decade) to go back-to-back as the NCAA champion in the 100 meters. She won the national title in the 200. She led the 4X100 meter relay team to a national title for good measure.

The pride of St. Lucia was already on the short list with the likes of Cat Osterman, Clarrisa Davis and Carlette Guidry on the Texas Women's Athlete Mount Rushmore, but it might be time to acknowledge that she's the greatest women's athlete in school history. Full stop.

That's the kind of juice your resume holds when you follow up an all-time great collegiate resume with being the fastest woman in the world and a gold medal winner in the 100 meters at the Olympics.

Consider that Guidry is rightfully regarded as one of the top 10 women's athletes in the history of the state of Texas after winning a pair of gold medals in 1992 and 1996 in the 4X100 relay, but she never won a major International event as an individual. Consider that Osterman won gold in Athens back in 2004, but she never led the Longhorns to a national title. Consider that Davis led the Longhorns to a national title, but never won gold at the Olympics and was never considered the best in the world at her sport.

I don't want to be someone that is only living in the moment, but her resume is her resume. It can't be topped by a single women's athlete in the history of Texas Athletics.

... Kevin Durant is the all-time leader in men's USA basketball in both points, points per game and rebounds. He's six points away from passing Lisa Leslie for the highest scorer in Texas USA history (regardless of sex). He's sitting on three gold medals and possibly a week away from his fourth. Opinions very on his place on the all-time great NBA players list, but it's pretty hard to dispute that he's going to retire as the greatest player in the history of Team USA. Marinate on that for a moment.

... It might be time to put Ryan Crouser in the Longhorns Hall of Honor, even if he is still competing. When a man wins gold in three consecutive Olympics, you just have to make an exception. Is he the best UT athlete that gets the least amount of appreciation? He's literally the greatest performer in the history of his sport. No other Texas athlete can quite claim that.

... All Scottie Scheffler needed to do on Sunday was shoot a 62 to win Olympics gold after starting the day four shots behind on the leaderboard. Ho hum. He did it.

... Alfred will be back on the track on Tuesday when she competes in a loaded field in the 200 meters.

... I'm not sure there's enough appreciation for what Texas athletes are doing in Paris.

... Here are the remaining UT athletes that are left to compete in Paris this week:

Men

* Kevin Durant - Men's Basketball - United States - Basketball (Tuesday quarterfinals)

Women

* Mariam Abdul-Rashid Women's - Track & Field - Canada - 100m hurdles (Wednesday)
* Yvonne Anderson - Women's Basketball - Serbia - Basketball (Wednesday quarterfinals)
* Tara Davis-Woodhall - Women's Track & Field - United States - Long Jump (Tuesday)
* Alison Gibson - Women's Diving - United States 3-meter - Springboard (Wednesday)
* Sara Kouskova - Women's Golf - Czech Republic - Individual Stroke Play (Wednesday)
* Chiaka Ogbogu - Women's Volleyballv - United States - Team Indoor Volleyball (Tuesday quarterfinals)
* Stacey-Ann Williams - Women's Track & Field - Jamaica - 400m (Monday), 4x400m relay (Friday)

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

(Sell) Jerry is 81, which means he probably has a good 20 years left in him. We all might have to wait until 2050 or so.

(Sell) He's not going to play that much, but it's amazing we're having this conversation.

(Sell) Come on...

(Sell) No, I expect Texas to do better. For example, I believe they will land Michael Fasusi.

(Sell) I believe Texas wins the game, but will be 6-1 afterwards and in the top 5.

(Sell) An SEC title vs. going out in the quarterfinals (but winning a game before the quarterfinals) is pretty easy for me ... give me the SEC title.

(Sell) No one has stunted Cook's growth. He needs to be more consistent and he'll be a critical starter in his second year.

(Buy) I believe it.

white wolf GIF

... Holy hell, that was some kind of men's 100 meters final. Give it up to Noah Myles for backing that talk up with action. He's officially a legend. Also, shot out to Taylor, Texas star Fred Kerley for taking home the bronze.

... Shout out to NBC for doing an A+ job of presentation throughout the Olympics. The Gold Zone channel is freaking money.

... Novac Djokovic did some GOAT stuff on Sunday. There sure seem to be a lot of GOATs in Paris.

... We really need to appreciate the greatness of Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky. These women are for all-time.

... As things stand, I am not playing fantasy football this season. I just don't have the urge. Maybe I just need a break.

... Remember when many of you thought Xavier Worthy had issue catching the ball. It turns out he did ... when he had a broken hand.

... I'm not getting cocky at all, but I'm excited by what I'm seeing from Arse Slot's Liverpool squad.

... If you're a USA-born NBA superstar that isn't playing on Team USA, you're not a superstar. You're a notch below that.

... Blake Snell threw a no-hitter this weekend and I'm not sure anyone even paused to notice.

... Tony Ferguson has lost eight straights fights in the UFC? I feel like I blinked and he went from borderline champion to all-time losing streak, but it's been more than five years since he won a fight.

... It feels like I'm the only person in America that hasn't seen "Deadpool and Wolverine" yet. It's officially the biggest R-rated movie of all-time at the box office. Is it time to do a Ryan Reynolds Top 10?

... Aerosmith is officially done with concert tours. I'm glad I was able to see the band a couple of times along the way. Steven Tyler's voice had a hell of a run.

I can't believe I've never done this before in almost two decades of writing this column.,

We're not splitting up the sexes, either. It's a combined men's and women's list.

Here are the rules...

a. Being born in Texas qualifies you, unless a person moved away from Texas before they started playing their respective sport. For instance, Frank Robinson was born in Beaumont, but moved to California when he was an infant.
b. If a person was born in another state, but spent their formative years inside the state of Texas ... they are a Texan.

(Note: Shaquille O'Neal moved to Texas when he was 16 years old right before his junior year in high school. Whether I'm right or wrong, I've decided to leave him out of the discussion, although he'd rank in the top five if included.)

Last 5 out: Roger Hornsby, Drew Brees, Ernie Banks, Jack Johnson and Adrian Peterson

He's the Earl Campbell of golf, retiring at the age of 34 after having won five majors, 64 professional events and posted the second-longest streak of consecutive cuts made (113). The streak of consecutive cuts is second only to Tiger Woods' 142.

One of world's greatest sprinters of all time, who set world records in the 200, 300 and 400 meters, while winning back-to-back gold medals in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics. Won 16 medals at major competitions in his career and all 16 of them were gold.

One of the greatest female athletes of all-time. Won two gold medals in the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles and ranks fourth all-time in gold majors victories in the LPGA. Should she be higher on the list? Maybe. Yet, she's not regarded as one of the all-time great track stars and she wasn't the best the best LPGA player of her era. She's both lifted up and held down by her era.

Although his apex might have been shorter than many on this list, at the height of his powers there's never been anyone else like him ... ever. A three-time Offensive Player of the Year and the NFL's MVP in 1979, I'd feel like I was committing a sin to leave him off the list.

Baseball's all-time strikeout leader, a member of MLB's all-century team and the sport's all-time leader in no-hitters.

A three-time Super Bowl MVP, a two-time league MVP and a player that will go down as one of the top 2-3 quarterbacks in the history of football by the time he retires.

A gold medalist in the 1968 Olympics and a two-time world heavyweight boxing champion, who knocked out Joe Frazier in the second round. After losing the heavyweight title in 1974 to Muhammad Ali, he won the title again at the age of 45 when he knocked out Michael Moorer.

I don't care about the HGH/steroids stuff. The man won seven Cy Young Awards, won 300+ games, struck out 4,000+ batters and was a member of MLB's all-century team.

One of the greatest golfers that ever lived. Is tied for fourth all-time with nine career major wins and is one of only five players to ever win all four majors.

She's the greatest gymnast and the only athlete on the list that can make that claim about their sport. She owns seven gold medals 23 world championships gold medals and has about five different skills that have been named after her because no one else has ever done them.

Reactions: Ketchum

Men

Women

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

(Sell) Come on...

(Buy) I believe it.

white wolf GIF

Here are the rules...

Good read across a diverse range of topics. Feels like Sonya Richard’s-Ross should be in the mix for Rushmore of Texas women athletes, but haven’t looked up her stats compared to Guidry.

Is winning a title this year the goal or what?
Of course it is, I just have a bit of pause before making that type of comparison.

Quinn isn’t proven, the WR starters/rotation are still in question (no idea of the offensive chemistry), DL are above-average and the secondary is no DBU.

For me, the OL and RB are the only two positions I’d say aren’t uncertain.

I’d like to see this team get through the first half of SEC conference play first. Before this, I just have too many questions.

Big Roger Clemens fan, but if you include him did you consider lance armstrong?

Every contender was doping when lance was…

It just seems if you keep one out, you should be consistent.

Elite cyclists are ridiculous athletes..
Roger used HGH to recover from injuries. Lance used it to compete.

• Haha
Reactions: HerkieWalls
Great article but just because he deserves it I feel like i have to correct the spelling of Rogers Hornsby. If he is gonna make a top ten honorable mention, it has to be spelled correctly. lol

@Ketchum Did you know that Tiger’s consecutive cuts streak ended at The Byron Nelson Tournament in Irving? I had tickets that weekend and was pretty bummed lol

Reactions: A-10HORN