ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Covering both sides of the Chris Ash fence...)

No. 9 - The List: My Updated Oscars Rankings...

Best Picture:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Gonna catch this one soon now that it's available on Demand. Wanted to see in the theaters but life got in the way.

@Ketchum, regarding Tiger, this past weekend was just another point in making him the GOAT. At nearly 44 y.o. he proved to not only be a terrific captain for the US team but he was clearly the best player in the entire event.
Yup, he flexed on those young pups. Don't pull the tiger by the tail. You won't like his reaction.

A fair point to make here is Campbell had limitless scholarships to hand out for much of his tenure. Great to be a coordinator with limitless scholarships. The others on the list didn’t have that luxury.
He also coached against cave-man offenses and not the new breed of fling it and wing it pass offenses.

You mean once teams learned they could determine pass v. Run by looking at the damn RBs location it was easy to determine what play was coming? SMH
I think it got worse than that.

Well, when you see Matthew McConaughey interject himself into the basketball huddle and interacting with football players during games, it's not hard to see how a Texas fan could see there's nothing wrong with that.
Texas might not have made it to the second weekend without that occurring, which didn't speak well of Elliott, who is obviously a great and proven coach.

Reactions: RLong68
Yup, he flexed on those young pups. Don't pull the tiger by the tail. You won't like his reaction.

If the GOAT can stay healthy this season, we could be looking at a very special one for him relative to him being 44. Not sure if you are aware, but I've followed El Tigre for quite some time now, and honestly, this is the best I've seen him play at this point in the calendar in I don't know how f'n long. He is pretty much dialed in and all that's left is wait the next 6 weeks before we see him reappear in San Diego. Schedule sets up much better for him than last year.

If the GOAT can stay healthy this season, we could be looking at a very special one for him relative to him being 44. Not sure if you are aware, but I've followed El Tigre for quite some time now, and honestly, this is the best I've seen him play at this point in the calendar in I don't know how f'n long. He is pretty much dialed in and all that's left is wait the next 6 weeks before we see him reappear in San Diego. Schedule sets up much better for him than last year.
Just. Stay. Healthy.

Reactions: RLong68

Bottom Line

On every occasion when the Longhorns went out and hired at the highest levels, the program was rewarded. On almost every occasion when the Longhorns hired for comfort, it proved to be disaster. Just some food for thought.​
Your breakdown of the succession at the coordinator positions provided very good insight.

I know Chris Ash hasn't coached a game at Texas yet, but considering your analysis of the Ash hire, how would you classify him as of now - a high-level hire or comfort hire?​

Your breakdown of the succession at the coordinator positions provided very good insight.

I know Chris Ash hasn't coached a game at Texas yet, but considering your analysis of the Ash hire, how would you classify him as of now - a high-level hire or comfort hire?​
Somewhere in the middle, leaning closer to elite. I wonder what Tom would do if he was forced to hire someone who isn't among his besties.

Somewhere in the middle, leaning closer to elite. I wonder what Tom would do if he was forced to hire someone who isn't among his besties.

Good question. If he ever finds himself having to answer it, hopefully it'll be because one of the coordinators he hires now gets a nice head-coaching gig.

I haven't seen a lot of movies with strong female leads yet. That will soon change. I thought she was excellent in Hustlers.

Have you seen it? She was nominated for a Golden Globe.
Yes, I saw that she was nominated for a Golden Globe...and I can't believe it! I did not like "Hustlers" and I thought JLO's performance was not bad, but certainly NOT award worthy of any type.

Yes, I saw that she was nominated for a Golden Globe...and I can't believe it! I did not like "Hustlers" and I thought JLO's performance was not bad, but certainly NOT award worthy of any type.
I would imagine she won't be in my top 5 in a month.

Ketch, you are WAY TOO IN LOVE with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It was easily 45 minutes too long with many completely worthless scenes. Best movie of the year?!?!? No idea how that is possible considering how far down the list it would rank on just Tarantino movies alone. I mean, I'm not even sure which Tarantino movie is worse than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It just isn't that good.

Ketch, you are WAY TOO IN LOVE with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It was easily 45 minutes too long with many completely worthless scenes. Best movie of the year?!?!? No idea how that is possible considering how far down the list it would rank on just Tarantino movies alone. I mean, I'm not even sure which Tarantino movie is worse than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It just isn't that good.
I disagree strongly. A lot of people do. It's a top 3 QT movie for me.

TheRinger called it the No.1 movie of the year as well.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/20...d-irishman-marriage-story-parasite-uncut-gems

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Ketch said:
We have a future DL difference maker on the roster? Coburn?

(Buy) Yes, I think Coburn has that kind of upside.

Mi Rey said:
Only if gets down to 315 - 320. Otherwise he lacks the quicks and endurance to be a difference maker in the B12.

He wasn't as good this season as a lot of people expected him to become, but he does flash.

Coburn will be a great test of Ash's D coaches ability to develop players. He came here as the top ranked D tackle in Texas. While he started as a redshirt freshman, and flashed, he was not really a difference maker. If he gets his weight down and his quicks and endurance up he can be a difference maker, even in the high octane offense B12. If not, he will probably repeat his performance of this year for the rest of the his UT career, and then try to make the pros as an undrafted free agent. Or... they can create a tailored S&C program for him, get him more quicks and endurance, and maybe get him to round 3 with a legit chance to make some $. These are the things that we have not done well for 10 years, but can make a difference for the team and for him.

I'm no mensa, but does it really take mensa to get this right for Coburn and other players?

I agree with this. Any so called home run hire was either good where they are or were looking at HC gigs. With all the talent we have, I think we just need someone to make it simple and let them be athletes.

You make a good point. As OU's defensive improvement showed, you can play a whole lot faster if you know exactly what to do and don't have to think about it.

We may not have nearly as much elite talent on offense as Horn fans think we do. Outside of Duvernay, it's a big stretch to claim any of our other offensive starters is an elite player compared to others around the nation.

Top 3!?!?!? Absolutely no way on earth. Pulp Fiction, miles better. Both Kill Bill's, miles better. Reservoir Dogs, way better. Inglorious Bastards, way better. True Romance, which I know he only wrote, still better. No way top 3, just no way

Ketch said:
We have a future DL difference maker on the roster? Coburn?

(Buy) Yes, I think Coburn has that kind of upside.

Mi Rey said:
Only if gets down to 315 - 320. Otherwise he lacks the quicks and endurance to be a difference maker in the B12.

Coburn will be a great test of Ash's D coaches ability to develop players. He came here as the top ranked D tackle in Texas. While he started as a redshirt freshman, and flashed, he was not really a difference maker. If he gets his weight down and his quicks and endurance up he can be a difference maker, even in the high octane offense B12. If not, he will probably repeat his performance of this year for the rest of the his UT career, and then try to make the pros as an undrafted free agent. Or... they can create a tailored S&C program for him, get him more quicks and endurance, and maybe get him to round 3 with a legit chance to make some $. These are the things that we have not done well for 10 years, but can make a difference for the team and for him.

I'm no mensa, but does it really take mensa to get this right for Coburn and other players?
I'm waiting for Yancy to earn his money.

Reactions: darrenj
Top 3!?!?!? Absolutely no way on earth. Pulp Fiction, miles better. Both Kill Bill's, miles better. Reservoir Dogs, way better. Inglorious Bastards, way better. True Romance, which I know he only wrote, still better. No way top 3, just no way
1. Pulp Fiction
2. Basterds
3. Hollywood.

Hollywood is his best chance ever at Best Picture.

Reactions: Rickstacopy

TheRinger called it the No.1 movie of the year as well.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/20...d-irishman-marriage-story-parasite-uncut-gems
Formal movie critics don't sway me. Not trying to be rude at all. Just a difference of opinion here. I usually like Tarantino but this one seemed to be gratuitous, poor use of actual events and I kept waiting for something substantive to happen. Perhaps my perspective is a bit skewed having been at an impressionable age when the actual murders occurred or maybe I forgot it was Tarantino and thought it was gonna be more thought-provoking. I did enjoy all the nostalgia infused in the film though. But everything else was a dud for me. Looking forward to seeing Parasite.

ADVERTISEMENT