ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Defining success at a place like Texas...)

Stuff happens........like McLovin being 1st!!!!!
images

Is “Yeah!” not considered a Luda song? If it is, it should be in the top 3.

I'm on a streak of agreeing pretty fully with your 10 Thoughts. I'm sure you're relieved and gratified. ;) Preist Holmes is one of my all-time favorite Horns. I wish I had 10% of his grit and "want to".
You and me both!

For the last 20 years, I've defined success in football at The University of Texas as follows ...

* Winning the conference title.
* Making a major bowl game.

Always befuddles me when people want to dismiss conference championships. Some have always used it as a "defense" of Mack when people would point it out as a glaring weakness on an otherwise strong resume. It was more humorous because Mack himself said the team's first goal every year was to win the Big 12. Winning your conference is literally the only destiny we control. You would think that was common sense.

Any season that ends without a conference title is a failure at a school like Texas and not only has Karen Aston not won a conference title in seven seasons, but the program has been unable to build off of the one real piece of notable post-season success that she led the program to back when the Longhorns made the Elite Eight four seasons ago.

Starting to see signs that it simply isn't happening with Aston.

BUY or SELL: Texas Basketball wins 20 games next season?

(Buy) I'm not sure I view winning 20 games as a major achievement. I think the bigger question is whether they'll win 25 games, which I wouldn't buy.

That's AT BEST, should be a "hold." There's pretty much zero to indicate next year will be a better season than this one. Think about that for a second.

BUY or SELL: Garrett Gilbert will make an NFL 52-man roster next season (practice squad doesn't count)?

(Sell) Because most teams only keep two quarterbacks on their 52-man roster, it makes landing a back-up quarterback job almost as difficult to land as staring jobs. I think he'll certainly be in an NFL training camp and he could get a call up at some point like he did a year ago with Carolina, but I don't think he makes a team out of training camp. Hope I'm wrong.

I doubt you will be. He's pretty much a career practice-squad player at best.

Reactions: NativeTex
The Top 10 is a good place to start in defining success in any of the major sports, especially football. Always has been.

Reactions: streettopeschel
That's AT BEST, should be a "hold." There's pretty much zero to indicate next year will be a better season than this one. Think about that for a second.
Hold wasn't an option or I would have bailed on it.:D

Reactions: RLong68
... North Carolina/Auburn is going to be a lot of fun.

Won't be the only one. 14 of the top 16 seeds made it through with 5-seed Auburn being one of those 2 "outsiders." I mean, look at this lineup of games in the Sweet 16

Duke/Va Tech (Va Tech beat them in their one matchup albeit w/o Zion).
Sparty/LSU

Gonzaga/FSU - Whew! Powerful offense against a stifling D.
Michigan/Tech - The top TWO Ds going at it with 2 wizards as HCs.

Purdue/TN - Buckle up for that one
UH/UK - ditto.

He might be better than that now, but that doesn't mean he's going to get a 16-game job.

I think some might be overemphasizing his play in whatever league that is the AFF or ALFAC or whatever the hell it is.

I think some might be overemphasizing his play in whatever league that is the AFF or ALFAC or whatever the hell it is.
I thought he looked good in his one game with the Panthers last season. I think he's legit made improvement.

The Top 10 is a good place to start in defining success in any of the major sports, especially football. Always has been.

Again, that's stuff you can't control. The trophies for top 10 finishes are in the ladies room. The trophies for conference titles actually are on display in the football offices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT