ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Explaining Flood's Obsession With Monsters)

Somehow, I never realized that those three played on the same high school team.

Wasn't there some recruiting visit screw up that pushed Adams away from us and to the Aggies?

I thought he got into a fight with Shane Dronett at spring break or something like that.

Reactions: Dave C2
The fact that he got hired by the GOAT, and the GOAT wanted to retain him, along with the fact that he got kids drafted, is good enough for me. If he doesn't get credit for his time at Bama, then we can't blame Warehime or Hand for their time at Texas.....
Ha, I didn't say he didn't get credit. I just said it was harder to fully evaluate him.

Reactions: DKinnamon
Maybe he'll morph into this guy:

los-angeles-rams-v-green-bay-packers.jpg
I like clean shaven Aaron better.

• Haha
Don’t forget, Brad Shearer won the Outland the same year Earl won the Heisman. In those days, the Outland was the D equivalent of the Heisman.

And to this day, I swear Texas would have beaten ND if our stud MLB, Lance Taylor, had not blown out his knee versus aggy. ND gashed us continually up the middle without Taylor there to enforce his “no run zone”.

After Ivan Melendez, Lance Taylor is the best athlete from El Paso to play at Texas.

Well, on second thought, I probably should have left baseball comparisons out. Who was our stud 3B that made the incredible throw against Rice during our championship year? He’s an El Paso stud, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffTex
@Ketchum, my sons and I just sat through all the MCU movies again so my wife, pregnant with our third son, could see them for the first time. (We made her) Here’s what I got:

1. Infinity War
2. Endgame
3. Ragnarok
4. Guardians
5. Winter Soldier
6. Black Panther
7. Iron Man
8. Avengers
9. Homecoming
10. Captain America/Shang Chi
Shang Chi is vastly underrated imo because it came out after End Game. Great movie with spot on casting and acting.

Reactions: tlcdownunder2
I never heard of an actual physical fight but some sort of incident
Since Ketchum mentioned it, I actually do remember reading about a thing involving Dronett at Spring Break. I know it involved A&M, but I was thinking it was it was a current at the time A&M offensive lineman, not a recruit like Adams. It may well have been the same thing I was wondering about before, or there may have been two different "situations" that both involved Dronett.

Hopefully someone has the facts.

Reactions: 1Xover1X
Since Ketchum mentioned it, I actually do remember reading about a thing involving Dronett at Spring Break. I know it involved A&M, but I was thinking it was it was a current at the time A&M offensive lineman, not a recruit like Adams. It may well have been the same thing I was wondering about before, or there may have been two different "situations" that both involved Dronett.

Now that I think about it, I think it was two separate incidents.

There was a spring break incident, but the thing with Adams was on his official visit... I think. He allegedly said the N-word around him.

Now that I think about it, I think it was two separate incidents.

There was a spring break incident, but the thing with Adams was on his official visit... I think. He allegedly said the N-word around him.
That sounds about right. But, as @RLong68 said, we were probably a long shot with Adams anyway. I wonder if Dronett's recruiting skills cost us anyone else from that same recruiting weekend?

Spot on about Bobby Jack "Off" Wright.
He was worse than Larry "Big" Mac Duff and Manny "Buenos" Diaz put together.

Robert Jackson Wright went on to a successful assistant coach gig at OU where he coached for a long time. They learned from big conference brother Texas and never let him coordinate any defenses.

AT Geoffrey "Toys R' Us" Ketchum.

I've told this story before, but I used to work with this dude named Brian at Bert's BBQ.

He was a tough as nails kind of guy that never really talked a lot, but he was probably 6-4ish and generally looked like he used to hang out with The Clash kind of crowd.

One day one of his friends asked me if I had every heard the story of him getting into a fight with Dronett.

Apparently, Dronett walked into the Bert's on MLK and ordered a T-man and when he got to the register said that he wasn't going to pay for it and that Brian was going to pay for it. Words were exchanged and they then went out to the parking lot and had an all-time go at each other.

The way I heard the story was that it was pretty much a draw and that they both beat the hell out of each other until it was broken up. Knowing Shane's rep, my eyes were clearly opened.

Did a little checking around with some of the old timers at Bert's and they confirmed the story.

Spot on about Bobby Jack "Off" Wright.
He was worse than Larry "Big" Mac Duff and Manny "Buenos" Diaz put together.

Robert Jackson Wright went on to a successful assistant coach gig at OU where he coached for a long time. They learned from big conference brother Texas and never let him coordinate any defenses.

AT Geoffrey "Toys R' Us" Ketchum.
The thing about that situation is that Mackovic was given a "blank check" to hire anyone he wanted.

Choosing his special teams coordinator screamed disaster when it happened and proved to be one over the course of the 97 season.

The day before the UCLA game, Wright came in to speak in a class I took with Doc Craven.

One of the frat boys in the class asked him in front of everyone, "Shouldn't you be getting ready for UCLA?"

It felt like a real asshole thing to say to a guest, but given what happened, he was proven to be right.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

The answer is Anthony Davis.

If you've ever found yourself wondering about Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood's love affair with massive human beings, you'll probably need to go back to his early years at Rutgers to fully understand his obsession.

In his second season at Rutgers, Flood put himself on the map as a recruiter by landing a man-mountain in Davis, who not only tipped the scales at 6-5 and 341 pounds, but was a super-blue chip prospect who ranked No. 68 in the Rivals100 back in the Class of 2007. After previously coaching at Hofstra and Delaware from 1997-2004, Flood had never signed a player who was remotely close to Davis' blue chip pedigree.

That Davis ended up being an all-American and a first-round draft pick in 2010 is far from insignificant.

View attachment 3024

For months, I've wanted to comb through Flood's history at Rutgers to look for trends that might help explain his love affair with massive offensive line prospects that possess the kind of profile that he seems hell bent on building the foundation of future Texas offensive lines with. Following the commitment of Payton Kirkland this weekend, it felt like the perfect time to do so.

So, what were the main takeaways?

* The average size of the 33 offensive line prospects that Flood signed in his career at Rutgers was 6-5 1/4, 294 pounds.

* 42.4% of the linemen he signed were 6-6 or taller.

* 6 of the 33 were at least 6-5, 315 pounds. Of those six, three turned into multi-year starters at tackle.

* Flood's very first commitment as the offensive line coach at Rutgers in 2005 came from a player that tipped the scales at 6-6, 351 pounds.

* Flood signed only 4 four-star offensive line prospects during his time at Rutgers, including Davis, and three of the four emerged as multi-year starters for the Scarlet Knights and earned Big 10 honors.

In grading Flood's career of developing offensive linemen at Rutgers, you have to use an entirely different set of expectations than you would at a school like Texas because the overwhelming majority of prospects that he found himself working with were either two- or three-stars in the Rivals database. Yet, when he did get his hands on an elevated prospect ... they never totally missed.

The worst of the four-stars that he signed at Rutgers was probably J.J. Denman from the Class of 2012, a player that started at right tackle in his final two seasons.

Yet, most of his career at Rutgers was spent making wine out of water. It was all about taking players completely outside the national recruiting radar and turning them into serviceable players. Amazingly, Davis was the only player he worked with that was drafted by an NFL team during his time at Rutgers, but very few of the kids he signed ended up being total busts. When you consider what he was working with, it's pretty damn impressive.

The secret to his success seemed to be targeting a certain type of physical profile ... large humans.

What we're seeing right now with Flood at Texas isn't an accident. It's him being able to project his developmental ethos at a level that allows him to target the highest quality of massive humans that he can possibly find without the brand of his school holding him back.

Come hell or high water, Flood is going to find his next Anthony Davis.

Or two. Or three. Or four ...

No. 2 - Flood's class-by-class recruiting breakdown...

Neither of his first two recruits at Rutgers emerged as notable players during his time at Rutgers, but it's hard to ignore that his first very commit was from Lange, who showed up in the Rivals database at 6-6, 351 pounds.

We've discussed the importance of Davis in Flood's career, but Stapleton was also a very good player, while Ruch was a starter as a senior, which means that Flood was able to create starters out of 75 percent of the class.

Forst was the second four-star prospect of Flood's career and he ended up becoming one of only six Rutgers offensive linemen to win first-team All-Big East honors in the first 21 years of being in the conference.

Neither player made a real impact in their careers with Rutgers and both eventually transferred to other schools.

Outside of Bujari, who started for three seasons at guard and center, this ended up being a pretty empty bunch for Flood.

Flood hit pretty big on two out of three from this class, as Lumpkin was a three-year starter at left tackle and Johnson started 50 games at left guard/center. Johnson wasn't drafted, but he did spend 12 days on the active roster for the Ravens in 2015 and was on several practice squads over the course of the next three seasons.

Flood cranked out another productive class with this group, as three of the five ended up being multiple-year starters along the offensive line, while a fourth (Arcidiacono) was a multiple-year starter at tight end for the Scarlet Knights.

The only player in the 2013 class started 34 games in his career for Rutgers at left guard and was an honorable mention All-Big 10 player.

Although this wasn't a group that Flood had a chance to coach all the way through the end of their careers, Cole turned out to be 34-game starter for the Scarlet Knights at left tackle.

Flood's last class at Rutgers featured one of the best players that he recruited, even though Flood didn't get a chance to develop him. Jackson was a multi-year starter who ended up transferring to Ohio State for his senior year and was drafted in the third round by the Detroit Lions in 2020.

No. 3 - Ranking a combined 2022 and 23 recruiting class ...

This thing breaks down into tiers from my perspective.

Five stars

1. DJ Campbell
2. Kelvin Banks

High 4 stars

3. Neto Umeozulu

Mid Four-Stars

4. Cam Williams

Low Four Stars

(Note: You can pretty much rank this group in any order)

5-10

Jaydon Chatman
Connor Stroh
Trevor Goosby
Cole Hutson
Payton Kirkland
Malik Agbo

High Three stars

Connor Robertson
Andre Cojoe

No. 4 - This and That (recruiting thoughts) ...

... With Christian Jones and junior Angilau leaving after this season, the Longhorns are currently scheduled to have 19 offensive linemen on campus going into the 2023 season if you include the five current commitments. Of those 19, 12 are from the last two recruiting classes and recruited specifically by Flood. It makes me think that the attrition in the next 12 months is going to come from recruits that were in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes.

... Before completely freaking out over the portal rule changes that might be coming to college football, did you know that 19 of 24 NCAA sports allow for players to transfer whenever they want without having to sit out a year?

... Is it me or is TJ Shanahan trying to recruit his way into this Texas class?

... Meanwhile, the new kid is already getting his recruiting on. Sounds like Arch told him to get to work.

... Jalen Hale on Instagram after Texas landed Kirkland.
View attachment 3020

No. 5 - Quinn Ewers ...

At this point, I'm all for him growing all of the hair out as far as he can until he's mistaken for Captain Caveman.

Signed,
Bald Man

View attachment 3021

No. 6 - Updated Texas Scholarship Board...

View attachment 3027

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) These coaches aren't turning away a super blue OL prospect.

(Sell) I'd guess between 15-20.

(Buy) Nothing has changed from my perspective.

(Buy) I don't think Sark is in the Show Friends business. It's a big year for PK.

(Buy) See you on Tuesday night. You better get a question in.

(Sell) I don't think $25K is enough money to buy happiness for most college kids. That being said, the Pancake Factory at Texas could test whether $50K is a different animal when we look for OL attrition in the next 13 months. You bring up a very good point, but I'm not sure that I know the number that truly makes it problematic.

(Sell) I don't think we'll see a trap door for any of the kids in the 2023 class, but it has to loom as a possibility after what happened last year.

(Buy) That would establish a baseline of 24 super-blue chip players on the roster after a first four-year cycle, which would rank third in the nation right now. Mix in some big-time out of state talent and you're definitely cooking with grease.

(Sell) I keep expecting more.

(Buy) Typically, recruiting sites come in real handy for coaches as they travel out of state. I can't tell you how many times in my life I've taken a call from a coach that wants to know how to best map out a travel plan that allows for them to see as many kids as possible, while sneaking in some golf at the same time.

(Buy) That's very possible, but it's going to require the kids in the 2023 class to show more patience than we mostly see in college football in this day and age.

(Sell) Top 40? Yes.

(Sell) Shawn Watson has to be on the list. So, does Larry Mac Duff. Koening probably has to be on the list because he was on the staff for less than a year before being fired by Charlie Strong. That leaves only one space. I might have Bobby Jack Wright on the list, just for his one season as defensive coordinator in 1997. That's probably not fair to Wright, who was a good coach and recruiter before he was promoted to defensive coordinator, but the decision by John Mackovic to hire him basically cost Mackovic his job 11 months later.

No. 8 - Scattershooting ...

... Here comes NFL training camps! The dead season is almost over.

... Get better and stay strong, John Metchie. We're all with you.

... Is this the most memorable play from the entire 2022 MLB season?

... Really could have done without the Cubs sweeping the Phillies this weekend.

... Watched The Gray Man this weekend. Feels like it tried very hard to be John Wick and comes up just short. Still it's one hit of dopamine after another for anyone that likes a John Wick-ish movie. I don't know if I will ever watch it again, but it was worth my two hours.

... Paddy Pimblett got me to turn into the UFC London event this weekend. It had been too long. I might be back in the game.

... We're less than two weeks away from the start of the Premier League season. My predicted top four finish ... 1. Liverpool. 2. Man City. 3. Tottenham 4. Chelsea.

... I've had a very quiet 2022 on the card collecting market, but consider me very happy to have added this to my collection this week:
View attachment 3025

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 MCU Movies ...

There have been 29 Marvel Comic movies with the recent release of Thor: Love and Thunder.

I thought this week I'd take a stab at ranking the best of the best.

10. Doctor Strange (2016)
9. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
8. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
7. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
6. Iron Man (2008)
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
4. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
3. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
2. Black Panther (2018)
1. Avengers: End Game (2019)

No. 10 - And Finally ...

Came across this photo and thought it was the perfect way to end this week's column.

Oh, how I would love to have been able to seen him play in person. Would love to see these as a throwback uniform in an upcoming season.

View attachment 3028
@Ketchum i wanna see your card collection!

The Adams/Dronett incident happened on Adams’ OV IIRC

Found it.

Reactions: dstalmach
Found it.

That's bad ass. I'm watching that whole thing later tonight.

This. Gives the players a chance to dap their buddies from the other squad and walk over in front of the band. Takes virtually no time at all.
Road games are the worst. West Virginia blasts "Take Me Home" and Texas has to wait for it to end before playing The Eyes. It's always an uncomfortable scene.

a. Scholarships are renewed yearly. NIL is a snowflake or sorts. No one deal is the same as the next.

b. Injuries could determine some of that. For example, Kerstetter came back because of an injury.

c. 3-5
The biggest spot for the SR is at DT I think there are like 3 that are big guys and might want to come back if they do not all get to see the field a ton.
Do you have any NIL deals still with the guys we saw videos of from last year or have those ended? Did not know if it was a per show thing or for a set time period.

The biggest spot for the SR is at DT I think there are like 3 that are big guys and might want to come back if they do not all get to see the field a ton.
Do you have any NIL deals still with the guys we saw videos of from last year or have those ended? Did not know if it was a per show thing or for a set time period.
Most of our contracts end this month.

Not looking to renew at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT