ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I attempt to explain what happened...)

Can someone please explain to me how, in any universe, Malik Jefferson is a 5 star linebacker, can you spell overrated?

We need to cull the players that fall apart when they make a mistake or get behind in a game.

Defense:
The secondary has "5" star guys playing like 2 stars. I believe this is due to the DL and LB's... To their defense, they are having to play coverage but also watch for a QB/RB busting through the line for a 40 yard gain.... Malik needs to be benched, he runs through the gap or engages the first guy he sees and does not get off.... RB run right by him to many times.... We still can not tackle.... We take wrong angles at players coming around the end and they just run by....DL, we need big bodies that can play a 3/3/5 defense...... We have no pass rush, no run stoppers, no QB Killers..

Offense:
OL>>>OL>>>OL>>OL>>.. "My Kingdom for an OL"... We had guys totally let defenders run free right at our QB...... Why can a school like Maryland do so much with what they have and we can do so little?
RB's...... Gosh i miss D Onta, He needs a statue a DKR.... He at least gave me hope last year.....

WR's..... Noticed i separated them from the bitch session above: I say that this is our only strong part of this team..... RHM is the real deal... .Along with CJ we have two honest gang chargers if we can just get the ball to them......

QB's
Love me some Boo, but he can't win with the line he currently has...... We will need to run a Wild Cat Offense with these players....... Opponents will blitz every down, give up the occasional big play but will consistently nail our QB until he his hurt or skittish....

I think the Field Goals will only continue poorly until we block people, pretty simple....... Love me some Michael Dickson.....

I am thinking that Beck is what we thought he was coming in from OSU; a terrible play caller. Urban knew what he was sending South.
Regarding Shane...remember what happened with Vince Young? Mack finally let him be Vince and quit trying to over coach him? Maybe, Tom and Tim should take that same approach and let him be Shane by first naming him their starter. Shane didn't look over his shoulder last year and look at the performances he put on. It is apparent Shane is constantly looking over his shoulder now and, as Anwar stated, Tom sees himself in Same and hasn't bought into Shane. When Shane threw two short passes down on the goal line, it was pretty apparent he was worried about following the coaches play calling. Last year, Shane would have found an open receiver in the end zone. I am not sure he even looked to the end zone. Everything we hear and read is that Tom won't hesitate to replace him and he is their starter for "today".
Shane has to earn it. He's hasn't yet.

What your basically saying is that Maryland is an average team at best and Herman and staff don't know the level of talent they are coaching! Maybe Maryland is pretty good and Herman should look at some of his forth down decisions and should adjust his offense to his talent.
That'snot really the moral of the story I was trying to create.

Texas got Maryland in a 3rd and 19 late in the game and I thought, "Maryland has Texas right where they want them."
Flashbacks to Bedford.

The question for Orlando, in that situation why do you leave their best receiver in single coverage? That is a direct coaching screw up right there.

Flashbacks to Bedford.

The question for Orlando, in that situation why do you leave their best receiver in single coverage? That is a direct coaching screw up right there.
The staff believes that they have ace corners.

The staff believes that they have ace corners.
They also believe Garrett Gray was a feature TE. So, the question still stands. Also, we hadn't been getting to the QB all day, what did they expect? You still bring help because you know where they are going. .

At least Herman didn't come in and blame the prior coach's players. He's pretty much owning the flaming turd on Saturday. That's a start.

So your'e calling Herman an elite coach? Reminds me of when you said Charlie was a rock star at developing talent. And why didn't any of your observations focus on the coaching blunders?

Last edited:
So your'e calling Herman an elite coach? Reminds me of when you said Charlie was a rock star at developing talent.
So bottom line is we are all very angry because we love Texas and want to see improvement not a national championship in TH first year. You terribly misled us regarding this first game. We will get over it but we have to see some improvement i.e. Winning the next game at home against an unranked opponent and playing better teams competitively . Tell us what you really think going forward and err on the negative side unless you are rock sure about being positive. Don't ever tell us what you think we want to hear unless you really believe it. I personally believe TH is the real deal and he will get it done eventually.

Our LB's do not even get blocked. They run forward and get shielded by the engaged OL and our DL. What happened to reading the play instead of immediately at the snap moving forward into the shielded area? I like lateral reading.
CB are not elite and obviously need help. Safeties were never over the top helping, as I guess they are trying to play LB as our's are always out of the play.
Better go to simplified conventional defense, and know to have safety help on 3rd and 19. Situational Defense. Not rocket science.
Ketchum, I will take a flyer on allowing Johnson and Freeman a chance to play. If you reviewed the game and think what Wheeler did is acceptable (2 tackles playing entire game), then I don't know what you are looking at?

Reactions: Horn19
cheap shot! It was 44-10 when I wrote that. I had an early deadline!
From a national perspective which Texas team took the biggest hit this weekend:
Texas
Texas A&M
Baylor

So your'e calling Herman an elite coach? Reminds me of when you said Charlie was a rock star at developing talent. And why didn't any of your observations focus on the coaching blunders?
Fair question. The coaching was awul. Probably should have spent more time on it.

DIvArvxUEAATuFh.jpg

How exactly did we get here?

For the better part of Saturday night and Sunday morning, I spent a lot of time giving that question serious thought.

I mean ... in the aftermath of Tom Herman's insane-in-retrospect hyperbole, this team actually being ranked coming off of a 5-7 season, non-stop 9-3 or better predictions and discussions on the Fox pre-game show about Texas being in the playoff within three seasons ...

How did we get here? Exactly.

I have a multi-part theory on how it all happened.

Part I: The overrating of the Texas talent.

All of this is connected to a slippery slope of connected parts, but let's start with this ... the Texas running backs, tight ends and offensive line are below average parts in reality, even more below average than Tom Herman could have imagined.

The trickle down was that when Herman saw a guy like Poona Ford make a play, there was a lot of fool's gold to be found in overvaluing what making that play really meant. At every layer of the defense, it was controlling its competing counterparts consistently and a couple of options for what it meant appeared.

a. The defense is really damn good.

b. The offense is so poor that it is making the defense appear to be much better than it really is.

Herman chose to believe the first option, in part because admitting that the second option was true was essentially an admission of multiple failures on the coaching staff in its quest to develop players over the course of the last eight months.

The coaches looked at all of those pretty players in pretty uniforms and underestimated how far the disease in the Texas program has spread in the last decade. Never in a million years did they think the players would blink like they did on Saturday in an actual game. It has rendered everything the coaches thought they knew about the team moot going into week two of the season.

Part II: The Media Got Drunk

Oh yeah, we played a role.

After seven straight seasons of failed benefits of the doubt, the media went all-in in giving Herman the benefit of the doubt before he had earned it in his new job.

Myself included (see my 9-3 season prediction, despite all of my admitted reasons for pause).

Herman hit the right note so many times on so many things during the off-season that we all just assumed anyone with his profile would lift this program above what it was a season ago.

The biggest thing it did to the media is that it created a force of push-back to reporting anything that wasn't pretty. In order to believe the team was going to go 9-3 or better, there needed to be enough pieces fitting together to justify that opinion. Throughout the last two weeks of camp, I've tried to be very slick in reporting that the offense had a very poor camp by dropping little snippets without giving the appearance that I was pissing on everyone's good-feel excitement.

Instead of trying to be slick, I needed to be screaming from the mountaintops, "This offense has looked like a hot mess!" I should have been more direct, but perhaps I let the potential push-back that I knew would come from reporting the struggles of the offense/quarterback (because it was significant throughout the off-season) impact the way I tried to be unassuming when dropping some of these hints (see my column from two weeks ago). I don't know what the exact answer is, but in retrospect I should have taken the heat at the expense of loud and clear disclosure.

Every media member let his or her confirmation bias kick in. We WANT to cover a good football team. It's great for business when the team is good.

Herman can sell a ketchup Popsicle to a room full of people wearing white coats and the media wasn't nearly as jaded with the handling of his first team as it has been for much of the last five years.

Point blank.

Part III: Herman drank the Kool-Aid

There's no reason to trace back over all of his commentary from the last month because I think most can remember at least one occasion when Herman said something about this team that expressed extreme confidence.

With practices closed and Herman providing near-daily updates, everyone trusted him when he spoke about the team because we all believe that he's a straight shooter when it comes to talking about his team. He had been so low on them in the spring, so when he started creating some hyperbole, it seemed to underscore his true thoughts on the team, even if a literal interpretation of what he was saying could be taken.

I think Herman significantly believed in this team going into Saturday. Because he seemed to believe so strongly, it made believing in his believing very easy to do.

Conclusion: When you add those three things together to create a super chaos baby, that's how the events of Saturday unfolded the way they unfolded from a perception standpoint from within.

That's my theory.

No. 2 – Putting Humpty Dumpty back together again ...

Tom Herman is going to earn his paycheck this week.

If there's anything Texas fans know after all of these years is that a loss like that can impact team psyche to the point that it can impact an entire season. I have to think Texas fans actually know that more than Tom Herman would.

You guys have seen it repeatedly. He hasn't.

As soon as that game ended, Herman's chops as an elite coach became much-needed because you have to believe some confidence was shaken on Saturday inside that locker room.

There's just too much football for one loss to help create another and another, so Herman and his staff have to be at their best this week in re-drawing the starting point of what can still be a very good season with substantial improvement across the board.

It starts in practice this week. This was the part of the job that Mack Brown did better than anyone else in the history of college football. It'll be fascinating to see how much Herman has learned from the old hound that never used to lose the follow-up to the Oklahoma game no matter what the circumstances were.

No. 3 - Three for three: Let's not forget the few positives ...

It wasn't all terrible on Saturday. Here are a few guys that deserve shout outs:

1. Reggie Hemphill-Mapps: Suchomel's lust over his favorite player could have only increased on Saturday, as he flashed all over the field throughout the game. The Texas punt return game was dreadful all year in 2016 and he changed that note in 2017 right away.

2. Collin Johnson: 7 for 125 and a touchdown. Get used to stat lines like this one.

3. Charles Omenihu: He's the one defensive player that deserves some love. He's turning into an impact player.

No. 4 – Stop me if you've heard this before ...

The four guys that Texas named as season-long captains a week ago were Connor Williams, P.J. Locke, Poona Ford and Naashon Hughes.

Each of those guys will have better moments ahead, but how many played at a high-enough level to warrant anyone caring about what they think from a leadership department?

Exactly.

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …

BUY or SELL: We are dramatically overreacting?

(Sell) I don't know that I have seen overreactions. I think what I've seen is a fan-base snapped quickly back to reality. Personally, I've seen tons of meltdowns over the years that were unwarranted. That is not what happened yesterday.

BUY or SELL: We will finish 5-7 again this year?

(Sell) I'm going top preach caution at this point. Let's see a little more football before we go there. I've said all along that this team'sbest football won't be played in September.

BUY or SELL: Gary Johnson plays at least 20 plays next game?

(Sell) He doesn't do any of the things well that the Texas linebackers didn't do on Saturday. He has problems getting off blocks, taking on blockers and avoiding critical run-game errors, just like everyone else.

BUY or SELL: More than 2 assistants are changed at year end?

(Sell) More so than Charlie Strong, Herman comprised this staff with his b-o-y-s. More so than Strong, Herman seems like a ride-or-die guy with his boys.

BUY or SELL: Herman inherited a more talented roster at UH than at Texas?

(Sell) I simply do not believe that.

BUY or SELL: The staff gives J.Heard more reps at QB since the offensive scheme seems better tailored to a true dualthreat QB?

(Buy) It might not happen in game settings yet, but I think Heard takes more reps in practice this week.

BUY or SELL: Outside of the new lockers, weight room, and social media, CTH is much more like CFS than any of us wanted to admit. Both had success at mid-major schools. Both had confidence in how they construct a winning team. Both brought in comfort hires to implement that vision rather than utilizing Texas money to bring in the top coaches in college football.

(Sell) I need a larger sample-size before completely changing what I thought about Herman a week ago. I'd tell you not to go too far.

No. 6 – Texas Football Tweet of the Weekend...

A few days later...

No. 7 – Marcus Johnson in Philly...

I think karma is about to bite me in the ass.

As someone who famously dismissed him as a college prospect following his junior season, it has occurred to me while watching his role in Philly grow that payback might be coming in the form of the most painful kind of payback .... scoring touchdowns against the Cowboys.

I'm bracing myself.

No. 8 – Five more sports things ...

a. My goodness, Alabama. The Tide didn't just beat on a very, very good Florida State team, it physically imposed its will in a way that will change the entire FSU season. Yes, Bama has my attention.

b. Michigan pretty much did a poor man's version of what Bama did to FSU in its game against Florida.

b. Just like Maryland beating Texas wasn't an accident, Liberty beating Baylor wasn't an accident.

c. Holy, smokes! Texas A&M... I see you. Wow. Well done (Edited: Never mind.)

d. Attaboy, Howard.

e. It felt like Costa Rica absolutely exposed the US men's national team on Friday night. Time to rally the troops on Monday night.

No. 9 – Game of Thrones Review: Season 7 (The Season Finale)...

c9lzmv4d3mgzpnyntz7s.jpg

With season seven in the books, I thought I would walk through what I think next season's opener might look like after processing last week's season-finale.

So, let's do this. My guesses for the first episode sometime in the next 18 months or so.

*SPOILER ALERT!*

*SPOILER ALERT!*

*SPOILER ALERT!*

... The episode begins with a shot of Tormund and Beric. Both are burried under ice and snow, but they are alive. As they emerge from the mess, they look over to the right and it looks like something out of a disaster movie. Within five feet of them is the edge of the Wall and beyond those five feet is nothing but air, as the rest of the wall has fallen to ground. Below them is an army of dead walking through.

Tormund mentions to Beric that this is the second time they deserved to die at the hands of the army of the dead and he's not sure why they are still around.

"This must mean that I am meant to be with the giant woman," Tormund jokes.

... We shift directions to a scene with Dany and Missandei.

Dany: "I think I'm in love. He did things I have never experienced."

Missandei."Did he do the thing with his tongue that Grey Worm does?"

Dany: "What tongue thing?"

Missandei leans and whispers into Dany's ear, causing a blush.

Dany: "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

... The next scene involves Jon and The Onion Knight. Jon isn't pouting. wait, is that a smile? He's totally giving away that he got laid and the Onion Knight remarks, "You know every man that has made love to her is dead with the exception of you. I would have targeted Melisandre."

At that moment, Sam and Bran show up on a boat... because... why the hell not? Time Travel is possible these days it seems based on season seven.

... Cersei is drinking in the next scene. Jamie asks in the presence of Bronn if she should be doing that since she;'s prego. She tells him, "Shut up, your traitor bitch."

As they walk away, Bronn tells Jamie, "I know you lost a hand, but I didn't know you also lost your balls."

... Hey, there's the ice dragon. He's just flying around destroying stuff, while the Night King rides him like he's Gene Wilder in Stir Crazy.

... We go back to Jon, Sam and Bran. Before Sam can delicately tell Jon that he;s related to his girlfriend, Bron snaps, "You slept with your Aunt! BTW, I'm the Three-Eyed Raven."

Jon: "What is he talking about?"

Sam: "Don't worry, he says that a lot. He's a different kind of dude, Jon. He's hell to take a long-distance trip with. That being said, I have good news and bad news.

Jon: "What's the bad news?"

Sam: "You are related to your girlfriend and your dad isn't who you thought it was.

Jon: "What's the good news?"

Sam: "You can probably ride a dragon."

Bran: "I have to go find a tree. I'll be back."

... Final scene of the episode. Beric and Tormund are surrounded and it looks bad for them. They start fighting there way out of the army when they find themselves standing in front of the Night King.

At that moment, both men wield weapons and prepare for the fight. Just then, all of the members of the army of the dead drop their weapons and an opening presents itself for both men to escape through. Confused, both men begin to run through the path created and they eventually leave the army of the dead behind them, while the Night King watches on, having allowed it all to happen.

As the camera zooms into his face and into his eyes, it zooms back out quickly and you see Bran's face. He is the Night King.

*END OF SPOILER ALERT!*

*END OF SPOILER ALERT!*

*END OF SPOILER ALERT!*

No. 10 – And finally …

59aac2fca2828-Tailgate%205.jpg

I just wanted to give a special shout out to @OBRob for putting together an amazing event at the Jeff Dillard tailgate, especially when you consider it all came together in the final days and hours. If you want to profile your business on the board/site moving forward, send him a PM.
I watched a lot of football this weekend. The one thing that constantly struck me was how mentally and physically tough the good college teams were. While this team has talent at certain positions, it lacks mental and physical toughness up and down the roster on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Although I firmly believe in Herman and his staff, they simply cannot coach toughness and ingrain it in players. You either have it or you don't. We don't.

Like your write-up, would suggest TH have a mass call out for any ex offensive lineman going to UT to give him a call.
Still believe there were some bad calls by the coaches on O.

Thought from the weekend: how about stop hiring coaches from mid-majors who've have success at one school with one QB?

At least CS had ethical standards.

Last edited:
I think Ehlinger playing this week will be seriously considered.

If Herman and his crew think that's the solution then they are even more clueless than the last staff.

Shane ran pretty well yesterday, he is not a stiff pro style QB some here like to portray. Rosen did just fine last night to beat Aggie. He doesn't run.

Is Herman such a limited coach he can't scheme to his talent?

Reactions: Fansong77
If we continue sucking
Honest question: How much of that awful offensive gameplay was Beck and how much was Herman?

How much of Ohio State's shutout vs Clemson was Tim Beck?

Hey Ketch, you didn't mention at any point that Beck was featuring throwing to Gray and running Shane so much.
@Ketchum

Cut the crap. This was a shit show of epic magnitude. Tell your reporters to ask the hard questions and fkn hold him accountable for this shit. Designed plays to Gray in the red zone when you have a 6'6 athletic freak/specimen is dumb and arrogant as shit. Did you see how pissed/butt hurt TH was when 1 reporter had the balls to question play calling?
That stood out to me too. Herman was like we actually called it a z sweep crackback. Maybe he's been coddled too much himself

Reactions: MrFruityNuts
Can someone please explain to me how, in any universe, Malik Jefferson is a 5 star linebacker, can you spell overrated?
He should not be starting at LB. If he is on the field it should be strictly as a an edge rusher. He simply doesn't have the instincts to play LB.

Is never being wrong the standard?

I have a tip... I'm going to be wrong from time to time. However, what you get from me all the time is 100-percent transparency, always the best that I can.
I just think every UT fan wants to start winning again SO BAD we were trying to will it with our minds.
Nothing wrong with that at all but now we know the reality. In a town of a million people it's the only game in town and everyone is looking and has an option it's gonna be rough for a while.

i can't help but wonder if those that tom speaks highly of aren't turning the corner as great players but rather those that are buying in the most, doing the things he likes, hustling in practice, peeing at a championship level...etc.

hughes is not good. poona, many of us love him but that has more to do with the rudy factor than anything else. he's pretty limited on the field. #11 really missed on some early series and in one play misplayed the ball carrier and ended up blocking #45. it appeared 11 was like Forest Gump...just running towards the LOS without a real idea of concept or "fit" to use tom's term.

the single most alarming tom issue is that he focused a full 7 months on making losing miserable, improving the effort, supposedly building them physically and mentally and NONE OF THAT was on display yesterday. all that talk was simply that, words, formed more concisely, in full sentences as opposed to his predecessor but none the less, just air.

i did something last night and today i haven't done since 09...i rewatched the film. rewinding every play, stopping, slo mo...etc. it was really, really bad.

You are braver than I. I have barely been able to keep myself from deleting it.

GM

ADVERTISEMENT