ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I give you permission to dream big)

I'm hoping BU goes after the OC up in Syracuse who is of the Briles coaching tree. Fingers crossed.

lol@ takes that Baylor isn't a legitimate job. It's a bizarre place with a weirdo fanbase but they're a P5 school that can PAY, IN the state of Texas. And the NCAA isn't going to do shit.

I'm leaning with Geoff on this one with Gilbert. Baylor could be a big (probably the biggest) threat to snag him IF Texas has a big year. Big IF though.
If Baylor is that great of a job as you say you really think their prime target will be a 38 year old one year into his first major coordinator gig in his career with zero head coaching experience of any kind in collage just because he runs a similar offense to Briles?

I'm a huge fan of Gilbert but people need to tape the breaks on worrying about him already getting major head offers.

Reactions: bradford345
I would be shocked if Houston simply doesn't elevate Major to HC.
I could see that happening. I just don't see the Baylor threat. If he gets a HC job after one year as play caller, I'd guess it was a Houston type program instead of a P5 program. Plus, Baylor is a mess.

I know Sterlin from his time at Abilene Cooper and he's is a different cat. I am not sure he is in a big hurry to be a head coach again. Remember Sterlin took a high school head job at his alma mater and after a couple of years left to be the OC at Temple. From what I gather he didn't like all that goes with being a head guy and enjoys coaching offense. I am sure he will eventually do it again (be a head coach) but I don't think he's in a hurry to leave.

Reactions: KatyKid and cm1308
I could see that happening. I just don't see the Baylor threat. If he gets a HC job after one year as play caller, I'd guess it was a Houston type program instead of a P5 program. Plus, Baylor is a mess.

If Major can't get the HC spot after Herman leaves UH then I'm not sure he'll ever get a decent job.

If Baylor is that great of a job as you say you really think their prime target will be a 38 year old one year into his first major coordinator gig in his career with zero head coaching experience of any kind in collage just because he runs a similar offense to Briles?

I'm a huge fan of Gilbert but people need to tape the breaks on worrying about him already getting major head offers.

The desire to cling to anything "Briles" for Baylor will be strong. Actually I think strong is too weak of a word in this case. They will be desperate more like. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they are hoping for an angle to hire Kendal. I know it seems far fetched, but this is Baylor we're talking about. Kendal taking over was the master plan for them anyways. If they can somehow get through this mess with minimal issues popping up over the rest of the season, and they have a 1-2 loss year, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't think the NCAA or the B12 is going to do jack shit about any of it so the door might be wide open to hire him. The Baylor fanbase would be ecstatic about that hire no doubt in my mind. But again lots of IFs involved here. Geoff says he's unhirable...as he should be. But we're on Earth and Baylor is on Mars.

But I agree 100% on tapping the brakes on Gilbert hence my comment on another "IF" of Texas having a big year. Too much youth in too many critical positions...it's going to catch up with Texas at some point. Maybe it won't translate to losses but my money is against it.

I think Gilbert is here through the 2017 season and then almost certainly gonzo.

Last edited:
That's all good but he's 38 and this is his first ever gig being sole OC at a major program and he has zero head coaching experience in college. I agree his career would be on the rise but personally think he's a ways off from getting a power 5 job offer right out of the box. Hell look how long it took Kirby Smart and even will muschamp had a huge resume before he ever became a head coach.

If Texas has a big year and I could see some mid level offers but does he really want to leave after just one season at the first jump knowing what a run Texas could go on the next couple of years? Not like this is a Harsin situation where he just wanted the first bus out of town no matter who came calling
I don't know that he even knows how he'd respond to the opportunities.

I view Baylor as a mid-tier job with high-tier upside.

I know Sterlin from his time at Abilene Cooper and he's is a different cat. I am not sure he is in a big hurry to be a head coach again. Remember Sterlin took a high school head job at his alma mater and after a couple of years left to be the OC at Temple. From what I gather he didn't like all that goes with being a head guy and enjoys coaching offense. I am sure he will eventually do it again (be a head coach) but I don't think he's in a hurry to leave.
This. Sterlin just wants to call plays.

Nice write-up, but sometimes reading the comments is the best part, as there are always a few offended folks if the opinion they paid to read differs from the one they would like to read.

LOL at the notion that if they do really, really well, Charlie is back on the hot seat! It doesn't work that way! :)

If Baylor isn't going to have any NCAA sanctions so that any good candidate isn't turned off by possible sanctions, then Baylor is substantially more attractive than it was 5 seasons ago.

Briles showed you can win and win big there. Brand new stadium and great new facilities. They'll be an attractive option for somebody.

They will be essentially 2 recruiting classes behind, as last year's class had the meat of it leave, and this year's is not going to be much of an improvement, so that is something for any rising coach to consider.

Nice write-up, but sometimes reading the comments is the best part, as there are always a few offended folks if the opinion they paid to read differs from the one they would like to read.

LOL at the notion that if they do really, really well, Charlie is back on the hot seat! It doesn't work that way! :)
Yes, that was my favorite part of the comments thus far... the idea that Charlie coming off what would be an 11-1 type season to create the scenario I suggested would somehow be on the hot seat.

Reactions: bkrichmd1
I tend to find great ambition exists in men, even when they don't know it.
No doubt we're renting Gilbert in the same manner that Mack, as an offensive coach, rented defensive coordinators. The good ones move on. But 2017 finds Gilbert in Austin, at Texas, calling plays.

No doubt we're renting Gilbert in the same manner that Mack, as an offensive coach, rented defensive coordinators. The good ones move on. But 2017 finds Gilbert in Austin, at Texas, calling plays.
You're probably right. Again, my projection/guess in the dark hinges on a few monster events taking place.

Very possible on all accounts. The reaction to the thought I had, a very quick thought at that, was unexpected, even if it shouldn't be.
Noted, and I get it. IMO, if we are dealing with this at the end of the season then we have completed a very VERY good season after going 5-7. I can live with that. With our talent we can find another OC that can come in and run this offense should Gilbert leave.

- The dream will really become a reality if Texas beats Cal this weekend.

- You were concerned about the offensive line before the season. Are you impressed by their performance?

- Gilbert to Baylor would make sense. I Wonder if Houston might make a run if Herman leaves ...

- The fantasy football Gods can be cruel.

- Being a Cowboys fan must be so hard.

- Hard to believe Matt Ryan was once an elite QB.

Reactions: cordpetee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT