ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I have to confess to being delusional...)

But, I would contend Texas absolutely has issues. It will simply need someone elite to pull them back to the perch it should sit on.
Right, but if Tom had done what many thought/he was hired to do, Texas wouldn’t have those issues right now.

Right, but if Tom has done what many thought/he was hired to do, Texas wouldn’t have those issues right now.
agreed. Instead, he's extended the period of time between sitting on that perch.

It's a great team with its own style. Did I disrespect them just by picking Mahomes?
Comment is in jest ketch ;)
Making a poke at you since in your last 10 thoughts you said you can’t root for them because of your father

Assuming your #1 will be Demas?

I think that Texas having top ten recruiting classes are with smoke and mirrors. If our class is top ten full of receivers, DBs then it’s not a true top ten. We look at other classes with a ton of top 50 in the nation DL, OL, and LBs and those are true top ten classes. So year after year we get big time DBs and receivers but games and championships are won in the trenches.

Please explain how a damn good coach fails so epically at coaching? Wouldn't the possible reasons largely be limited to recruiting mistakes or the school undermining him in some way?

There have been recruiting mistakes to be sure, and this guy can't find a pure shooter to pan out here to save his life.

But the rosters don't explain how Shaka has been so bad. In particular, his horrible playground offense is not something a damn good coach rolls out onto the court year after year.
@Ketchum I'm interested in your thoughts here.

One factor that you/ketchum may not be taking into account is improvement of guys wgho started last year. Guys like Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook, Coburn, Ojomo,
Bimageon defense are entering their third year in the program and if experience is a guide, have not reached their ceilings. Most if not all of the really good college footbasll players improve every year, and year three could be a big on IMO.

And that doesn't even take offense into account!

I do believe Herman’s 2nd kick-at-the-cat at hiring a staff yielded better coaching talent than the first round. Just not sure we have the player talent to see much improvement.

I really, really, really hope you are correct. Ketch has made a career out of judging talent, and he is damn good at it.

Tomey is too low IMO. I would also find a place for Duane Akina on the list. He was pretty accomplished before he arrived and made an instant impact in both recruiting and on the field.

Comment is in jest ketch ;)
Making a poke at you since in your last 10 thoughts you said you can’t root for them because of your father
I totally forgot about him this weekend, except for about one minute.

F him.

But, I like this Niners team. Hate from a historical sense they could jump past my Cowboys.

Reactions: Txhorns10
I think that Texas having top ten recruiting classes are with smoke and mirrors. If our class is top ten full of receivers, DBs then it’s not a true top ten. We look at other classes with a ton of top 50 in the nation DL, OL, and LBs and those are true top ten classes. So year after year we get big time DBs and receivers but games and championships are won in the trenches.
Texas doesn't have an elite Top 50 national prospect in the program that is outside of those two positions.

Reactions: Craben
@Ketchum I'm interested in your thoughts here.
I think sometimes timing is everything. It's just not working out for him here.

Good coaches can fail in one spot and thrive in others. It's why Jimmy Johnson was a Hall of Famer in Dallas and just ok in Miami. Lombardi was the GOAT in Green Bay and a JAG in D.C. Examples like this exist in every sport.

I think Shaka will have a chance to succeed post-Texas.

Of course, I'm more than willing to admit I might be wrong in that statement.

Tomey is too low IMO. I would also find a place for Duane Akina on the list. He was pretty accomplished before he arrived and made an instant impact in both recruiting and on the field.
Duane was in consideration for the last spot.

Thanks, glad it connected for some. I feel like it was received with a lot of defensiveness from some, which is something I should have considered more in writing about it.
I agree with your points in your article and the fact that it hit a nerve with many fans is understandable. Texas is currently pretty much irrelevant in the college football landscape much the way Alabama had become prior to Nick saban's arrival.

I agree with your points in your article and the fact that it hit a nerve with many fans is understandable. Texas is currently pretty much irrelevant in the college football landscape much the way Alabama had become prior to Nick saban's arrival.
excellent comparison.

I think sometimes timing is everything. It's just not working out for him here.

Good coaches can fail in one spot and thrive in others. It's why Jimmy Johnson was a Hall of Famer in Dallas and just ok in Miami. Lombardi was the GOAT in Green Bay and a JAG in D.C. Examples like this exist in every sport.

I think Shaka will have a chance to succeed post-Texas.

Of course, I'm more than willing to admit I might be wrong in that statement.
Can you think of a coach who had a good overall career but sucked total donkey dick at one place? I guess Chip Kelly qualifies at present, but I can't think of any others.

Top 10-15 classes that lack national top 50-70 prospects are severely overrated.

THat's it. That's the thing you need to memorize.

Don't disagree that much, but we had consecutive top 5 (3 or 4, depending on publisher rating) and those were not 10-15. Even this year should be top 10 and will include the best 5* RB in the country, IMO, along with 2 highly rated QBs.

I just disagree our recruiting has been as bad as our development. It's a simple agree to disagree thing, but when you say 10-15, that's not what we have had the last two years, and if we get to 20 recruits this year, and it includes Collins and Princeley, we should be around 8 this year, maybe 7, and if so we likely jump Okie, IMO. By the recent ratings we have recruited better than Okie the last 2 years, and are right with them this year, but I want to see similar results on the field, and to me that's development and coaching.

I agree it's not Bama or Clemson, but that's unrealistic until we develop our players better and send more to the NFL.

Under the horrible circumstances we have lived thru as a program, I believe we have recruited damn well the last two years, considering our recent W-L record, and surprisingly well this year.

How we got back to back top 3 (or 4) classes is a minor miracle to me. Unfortunately, we haven't developed them so far and did not put them in the best position to succeed in '19, especially Orlando.

If the new staff develops the talent better, we should get closer to where we want to be in W-Ls, as we have recruited far better than the results have shown, and that's on development.

This not a big disagreement in my mind...I just think development is more of a problem than recruiting, and I believe the rankings of the last two years as well as a likely top 10 finish this year show that.

But that's just me and my opinion. As I said before, the simplest way to put it is we will know a lot more about the direction and coaching quality of this program in 12 months, but based on initial reactions from this past weekend and the coordinators being a big step up, I am optimistic...though there is no doubt they have to show it on the field next year. 2020 was always the year I expected big things when Herman was hired.

Let's pick this up next January or February. No doubt we will know much more than we do now.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD TX TD VY
  • Mahomes was 5-7 in his last year at Tech including a 66-10 loss to Iowa St
  • Tannehill was 6-6 in his Sr. year at a$m, including a 27-25 loss to Texas :)
  • Garappolo was 12-2 in his Sr. year at Eastern Illinois. Guessing it was more that Rivals that got his upside wrong.
  • Rodgers was a 3*. He was 10-2 (loss to Tech)
Rodgers was a 3 star coming out of JC. He was 0 stars in high school. Mahomes would have had a better record at Texas than Tech. Tannehill can suck it. The point is that the championship games starting qbs averaged two stars by Rivals. I’d go back and see what I missed in my evaluations. Businesses do that all the time at the end of projects so they don’t make the same mistakes again. For example, Texas teams should take a look at all the players who go on to the NFL each year and figure out why they didn’t offer them

Reactions: J Tull
Can you think of a coach who had a good overall career but sucked total donkey dick at one place? I guess Chip Kelly qualifies at present, but I can't think of any others.
It seems to happen in soccer a lot.

Top 10-15 classes that lack national top 50-70 prospects are severely overrated.

THat's it. That's the thing you need to memorize.
Should be enough to get to the big 12 title game every year and even win a few.

Like last year, just win. Program stability is a must right now for these kids. Especially the type we want in the program.

It seems to happen in soccer a lot.
I think Parcells is a good example of the opposite. When Jerry hired him he went right out and got his guys to coach and play for him and he was successful. Then Jerry pushed Owens and others on him and ruined the plan. But according to drunk Jerry from the bar phone video, he never intended to stick with Bill. Just to get his stadium which is really the linchpin of the organization's value. Makes them worth a billion just to do tractor pulls and concerts. Jacks up the value of the francise. Oh year, and people keep buying tickets to games. All ten of them.

Reactions: longhornms
I think Parcells is a good example of the opposite. When Jerry hired him he went right out and got his guys to coach and play for him and he was successful. Then Jerry pushed Owens and others on him and ruined the plan. But according to drunk Jerry from the bar phone video, he never intended to stick with Bill. Just to get his stadium which is really the linchpin of the organization's value. Makes them worth a billion just to do tractor pulls and concerts. Jacks up the value of the francise. Oh year, and people keep buying tickets to games. All ten of them.
Thinking about college football.

Rick Neuheisel comes to mind.

Rich Rod

Dan Hawkins

I totally forgot about him this weekend, except for about one minute.

F him.

But, I like this Niners team. Hate from a historical sense they could jump past my Cowboys.

Makes sense as a cowboys fan. The jealousy and rivalry are strong ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT