ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I have to confess to being delusional...)

i seem to remember Tomey took over the defense off-season program from mad dog
Any chance the new defensive staff provides input.
Sure, but there's a difference between input and being the guy that wakes dudes out of bed at 5am and then stays with them throughout the morning every step of every work out.

Don't disagree that much, but we had consecutive top 5 (3 or 4, depending on publisher rating) and those were not 10-15. Even this year should be top 10 and will include the best 5* RB in the country, IMO, along with 2 highly rated QBs.

I just disagree our recruiting has been as bad as our development. It's a simple agree to disagree thing, but when you say 10-15, that's not what we have had the last two years, and if we get to 20 recruits this year, and it includes Collins and Princeley, we should be around 8 this year, maybe 7, and if so we likely jump Okie, IMO. By the recent ratings we have recruited better than Okie the last 2 years, and are right with them this year, but I want to see similar results on the field, and to me that's development and coaching.

I agree it's not Bama or Clemson, but that's unrealistic until we develop our players better and send more to the NFL.

Under the horrible circumstances we have lived thru as a program, I believe we have recruited damn well the last two years, considering our recent W-L record, and surprisingly well this year.

How we got back to back top 3 (or 4) classes is a minor miracle to me. Unfortunately, we haven't developed them so far and did not put them in the best position to succeed in '19, especially Orlando.

If the new staff develops the talent better, we should get closer to where we want to be in W-Ls, as we have recruited far better than the results have shown, and that's on development.

This not a big disagreement in my mind...I just think development is more of a problem than recruiting, and I believe the rankings of the last two years as well as a likely top 10 finish this year show that.

But that's just me and my opinion. As I said before, the simplest way to put it is we will know a lot more about the direction and coaching quality of this program in 12 months, but based on initial reactions from this past weekend and the coordinators being a big step up, I am optimistic...though there is no doubt they have to show it on the field next year. 2020 was always the year I expected big things when Herman was hired.

Let's pick this up next January or February. No doubt we will know much more than we do now.
@J Tull - I don't disagree with much of that. Development has to kick in badly or we're going to be miserable bastards for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: J Tull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT