ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I might have reservations, but I'm not backing down now...)

La Tech - win
LSU - win
Rice - win
Oklahoma State - win
at West Virginia - win
vs. Oklahoma - loss
vs. Kansas - win
at TCU - loss
vs. Kansas State - win
at Iowa State - win
at Baylor - win
vs. Texas Tech - win

vs. Oklahoma - win

(I could see a loss somewhere in those other true Big 12 road games.)
If we lose to a QB less TCU team then we have big problems.

lol.

One player played nearly 50 years before Brown and never played against black players.

The other player finished his career three seasons before Mock arrived at Texas.

I'm not sure where you'd even begin to enter Ash into the conversation as a weapon for your argument,.

You guys really need to do better than this.

In James Brown's era, teams like Nebraska were winning national championships while averaging 7 to 8 passes a game. See 1997, James Brown's senior year. That is how many Nebraska threw and was national champs. They won the national championship his sophomore year too. It was not an era where the sophisticated passing offenses dominated like in the next two decades. Any qb playing in the offenses run now in the 2010 decade would tear up the teams Brown faced. By your logic only very modern qbs should be listed on all time great lists. You are being very inconsistent punishing Layne for inferior competition, but not punishing Brown the same way. Brown's competition is inferior to modern day, why no downgrading for that?

I have to agree with those that think Bobby Layne should be ranked higher. All American and NFL Hall of Fame is some high cotton. Plus, he was tough as nails. I know it is difficult to compare different eras.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Was a joke for top 10 qb’s. Kid had talent but never worked out
He would have been a lot better if he had had Ricky Williams and Shon Mitchell to be able to give the ball to, but he just had a mostly injured Priest Holmes and a bunch of guys named Joe at running back back then. That was when A&M was still signing all of the top backs.

Not much I can do but be pissed. But if you're a Texas fan and you're not tired of being ou sucks bitch in the Big 12 I do not know what to tell you.
Who says I'm not tired of it. I just don't go out and declare we have to win or bust, because when you do that it indicates you are going to do something like stop following the team, or something I know you won't actually do.

You are correct, however, we will all be pissed. But that's about all we can do.

Was a joke for top 10 qb’s. Kid had talent but never worked out
He would have been a lot better if he had had Ricky Williams and Shon Mitchell to be able to give the ball to, but he just had a mostly injured Priest Holmes and a bunch of guys named Joe at running back back then. That was when A&M was still signing all of the top backs.

Agreed. I was at that OU game in 94 and you could tell the team had a different energy with JB in the game. Will never forget sitting in that end zone when Stoney Clark made that game saving tackle. The season took on a whole new look from that moment on

James has some real success in NFL Europe if I recall.

I also recall Mackovic basically told Brown he would never be an NFL qb when James asked for Mackovic’s help Getting into the league.

Reactions: fortworthhorn
I have to agree with those that think Bobby Layne should be ranked higher. All American and NFL Hall of Fame is some high cotton. Plus, he was tough as nails. I know it is difficult to compare different eras.
where would you rank him?

Not one player from Layne's era is considered among the best in the history of the program at any position.

None of the players he played with or against were considered equal to the peers at their positions in the modern age of the sport, yet we're giving Layne a free pass without a lot of in intellectual thought.

Just name one other player from the era that warrants such recognition...

Ketch- did you expect so much pushback this week? I thought you did a good job this week.

Only a few more days until kickoff. The drought is over

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Ketch- did you expect so much pushback this week? I thought you did a good job this week.
Over Layne's placement on the list? lulz.

No.

It wasn't really a discussion 14 months ago. I mostly defended my inclusion of Mock.

Honestly, I thought it was an interesting column. I can never guess what will be latched onto. For instance, I didn't think a Little League Baseball Nationalist would call be a douche because I thought a small island team trying to win its first LLWS was a great story.

Yet, it happened.

Pete Gardere was 4-0 vs OU.... He should be on list. If the list included "potential" only, I see why Chrissy Sims is on it, but his accomplishments other than a big recruiting win are zero. Major should be ranked ahead of him. James Street should have his name in the Stadium.... Just my two cents. Also, other than the big play against Nebraska, James Brown ranked too high....

Reactions: oldspur
Shea Morenz would have been a stud had he gotten another chance. Brown took over after he got injured and he never got that chance. He soon went baseball and that was it for him as a qb.

La Tech - win
LSU - win
Rice - win
Oklahoma State - win
at West Virginia - win
vs. Oklahoma - loss
vs. Kansas - win
at TCU - loss
vs. Kansas State - win
at Iowa State - win
at Baylor - win
vs. Texas Tech - win

vs. Oklahoma - win

(I could see a loss somewhere in those other true Big 12 road games.)

I realize that realistically you have to pick an "L" between one of the three big conference road games (TCU, Iowa State & Baylor), but losing to Fatterson again would be disgusting. We really outclassed them last year and it is not like Ft. Worth is a particularly tough place to play (will be a lot of Horns in the stands). Will be a real digression if that happens.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Texas quarterbacks of all-time ...

A little more than 14 months ago, I put together my list of the top Texas quarterbacks of all-time and this is how it looked.

1. Vince Young.
2. Colt McCoy
3. James Street
4. James Brown
5. Bobby Layne
6. Chris Simms
7. Major Applewhite
8. Eddie Phillips
9. Marty Akins
10. Chance Mock

Heading into the 2019 season, I think the list looks like this:

1. Vince Young.
2. Colt McCoy
3. James Street
4. James Brown
5. Bobby Layne
6. Sam Ehlinger
7. Chris Simms
8. Major Applewhite
9. Eddie Phillips
10. Marty Akins

It's not impossible to think Ehlinger is in the No. 4 spot by the end of the season.
Duke Carlisle is/was:
* MVP of our first MNC team
* A member of the Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame
* A member of the UT Sports Hall of Fame

Sure, the game was different with less passing, but he's #9 at worst.

In a different era, he was sensational. In today's era, he'd have to play against significantly better players. I would contend Brown's accomplishments in 1995 and 1996 are far superior than anything Layne ever accomplished, with all due respect to what he accomplished.
I respectfully disagree...….

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
I realize that realistically you have to pick an "L" between one of the three big conference road games (TCU, Iowa State & Baylor), but losing to Fatterson again would be disgusting. We really outclassed them last year and it is not like Ft. Worth is a particularly tough place to play (will be a lot of Horns in the stands). Will be a real digression if that happens.
I think that game is going to be all kinds of tricky.

Duke Carlisle is/was:
* MVP of our first MNC team
* A member of the Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame
* A member of the UT Sports Hall of Fame

Sure, the game was different with less passing, but he's #9 at worst.
Definitely a case to be made for Duke. I'd buy that.

Reactions: tummer
"... I enjoyed Dallas beating Houston 34-0 in the pre-season a little more than I probably should...."

rent free

GM

"... I enjoyed Dallas beating Houston 34-0 in the pre-season a little more than I probably should...."

rent free

GM
It really has very little to do with the fact that it was the Texans they were playing against and everything to do with the level of performance.... in the post-season.

On the other hand, considering I have no dog in the Dallas/Houston thing, I will point out that it might be "rent free", indeed.;)

Mock was a very highly rated qb coming out of high school. The only reason he wasn't a multi-year starter is because of Vince Young. He had to take the reins a couple of times to secure wins during Vince's first year as a starter. He never transferred and was a true team player
and used to post here!

That Qb list just shows how we have underperformed as a program in our history. This state spits hot fire when it comes to qb talent and we have missed more than we have hit.

Which makes this season a lot more fun.

Looks like we may be in the process of rectifying that with the likes of Milroe, and Card coming up.

Reactions: Maurelius
Did Bobby Layne play a single game in his entire career at Texas where...

a. He played against a defense or a team as good as the 1996 Huskers (or even the 11th best player on that defense0?
b. Played a game with such monumental consequences?
c. Achieved anything as consequential as winning the Big 12 title against what was arguably the dominant program of its time?

Probably the biggest game of his career was vs SMU and Doak Walker where we lost 14-13 because Tom Landry slipped before taking a pitch.

They used to say Layne never lost a game. He just ran out of time. He also is in the debate with Earl as most accomplished Longhorn in the NFL.

This game was pretty good:

ADVERTISEMENT