ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (I'm baaaaaaaack)

If this team's record is 3-3, the recruiting damage probably can't be undid.....gulp

Originally posted by RLong68:
If Ash manages to get through this season healthy, then 365 days from now, Swoopes is either not at Texas or at another position. Seems pretty obvious we are damn near close to recruiting right past him.
It was always going to take three years with Swoopes. He's had one.

His upside if he can put it all together gives him a chance, but he'll potentially need some breaks.

Originally posted by stevedankof:
With all respect, this stuff doesn't interest me much right now as Perry and his Aggie Stooges prepare to take down President Powers, thereby damaging the academic excellence and integrity of the only University in the State of the First Order. This is a sad damn time for all of us who actually graduated from the 40 Acres.
Okay_emma_stone.gif

Originally posted by Grommie:

Originally posted by gcobb:
Originally posted by xthekingoftownx:
Last year after the BYU game my boss came up to me and said "What happened to your longhorns? Did they forget their magic underwear before that raping?". I was so heated but it was warranted. I don't ever want to feel like that. I hope we go in dry on BYU. So far up their ass they have to move the boot to brush their teeth.

I absolutely love me some Lana Del Rey. Her style just gets me and her voice is so seductive.

I don't trust David. I know he's the best option we have right now but I just feel like we've seen this movie one too many times. I hope that Tyrone can put it together because it's a good chance he will be playing.
I don't get the disdain for BYU. The RAN the ball for 500+ yards. It's not like they were trying to embarrass us by throwing the ball all over the joint. I do think the team needs to make a statement that what we all saw last year was an aberration and they have better coaching, talent, and heart than what we saw last year. But I'll save the disdain for the OUs of the world.
Disdain isn't necessarily the correct term for the way many Texas fans, including myself, look at BYU and what they would like to see coming out of this year's game. Anyone that is competitive and takes an asswhipping of that proportion is going to want to come back hard on whomever delivered the pounding. Ketch described it very well -- this game is about regaining pride and reconfiguring the way other teams and fans look at us based on results just like this over the last several seasons.

I've described in previous threads how I felt in the stands that day watching us give up the most rushing yards in school history. I'm going to assume that this loss stung 100 times worse for a group of players that got shoved all over the field, run out of the stadium and humiliated in front of the nation. Forget disdain, this one is about redemption and establishing that the Longhorns under Strong are going to return a punch in the mouth with 10 more to yours until you're spitting chiclets. That's what I want to see and I'm hoping that's exactly how the Texas team feels too.
You can't put the T back into Texas without that redemption.

Originally posted by McGuapo:
If this team's record is 3-3, the recruiting damage probably can't be undid.....gulp

I agree.. 4-2 is the minimum if any kinda of momentum might happen in recruiting.

Originally posted by Grommie:

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Alexamsel:
Although I enjoyed your football commentary, I'm not sure soccer commentary fits in here. Weren't you just picking a favorite player a few weeks ago? Now saying who the best teams and trios are? Haha seems like a rough guess to me. The trio of Messi, Higuain, and Aguero, or add Di Maria and make it a quartet, overshadow the Dutch trio any day, anywhere. Argentina also hasn't lost or tied a single game all tournament, yet they're not a "No. 1" seed while Germany tied Ghana (GHANA for goodness sake) and barely scraped a win against the US and Algeria is a 1 seed? Only reason Argentina struggled with Iran is because they played with 11 defenders all game, other than that they've clearly been theirs dominating team in all their matches. So, I don't know about that man...
a. No offense, but I don't really care what you think fits and doesn't fit. Hell, the entire column doesn't fit together, which is why it fits.

b. No part of me tries to act like any kind of a soccer expert, so get off your soccer high horse.

c. Argentina hasn't been in a Final Four at the WC in almost a generation. Hard top put them on the same level as "No.1 blueblood seeds" like Germany.

d. Argentina did not dominate Belgium.
Damn Ketch, not sure the original post merited that reply. Rough evening with the kiddoes last night. :)
Two thoughts...

a. I forgot the
wink.r191677.gif

b. I don't know about the not deserving part. It was a pretty condescending set of remarks that positioned me in a way that I was in no way trying to position myself in.

c. I was someone irked that the comments came from someone that has been on the site for all of 90 posts. I'll take a lot of shit, but you have to be 12 months in to throw it at me that harshly.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SouthAustinHorn:
I think they are saying they haven't lost in like 50 years. It did happen at least that once as Jamimer indicates.

On another note, I agree with the others in that I just don't see anything elite in Gray. He can be very good, but I don't see elite burst to be the playmaker you describe. And that was before an achilles injury.

It would be great if DJ could fill the Mr. Outside role to MBrown's Mr. Inside.
a, aaahhhhh

b. I don't disagree. There's a feeling that his skill set hasn't been properly utilized, but it might be that he's too good in the weight room and has lost that explosiveness that made him so sexy as a prospect in HS.

c. Is DJ ready for a 12-15 touches per week? I dunno.

Originally posted by SAXETU:
All of those top teams have stars.

Man U - Fellaini, Mata, Rooney, Van Persie
Man City - Kompany, Nasri, Aguero, Silva
Chelsea - Hazard, Costa, Fabregas
Liverpool - Suarez (for now), Sturridge, Sterling, Lallana
Arsenal - Giroud, Ozil, Walcott, Ramsey, Carzola

It's all about finding which ones you like. I became a Liverpool fan because of Steven Gerrard"
So, it's possible he would be in another league. Forgive me for asking, what's the deal with the other league?

The early schedule is b-r-u-t-a-l

I picked a random pre-season Top 25 from the web and we're talking about the No.3, No.9 and No.12 teams in the country in the first six weeks. That doesn't include the Crawl game against a team that beat Texas by three touchdowns last year.

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:

I agree.. 4-2 is the minimum if any kinda of momentum might happen in recruiting.
Gotta beat Baylor, you'd think.

Originally posted by SAXETU:

All of those top teams have stars.

Man U - Fellaini, Mata, Rooney, Van Persie
Man City - Kompany, Nasri, Aguero, Silva
Chelsea - Hazard, Costa, Fabregas
Liverpool - Suarez (for now), Sturridge, Sterling, Lallana
Arsenal - Giroud, Ozil, Walcott, Ramsey, Carzola

It's all about finding which ones you like. I became a Liverpool fan because of Steven Gerrard"
So, it's possible he would be in another league. Forgive me for asking, what's the deal with the other league?
La Liga is the Spanish league. You have Real Madrid who has more money to spend than all of the NFL put together(exageration) and then Barcelona which almost does. Looking at their rosters through the years is pretty much a who's who of the great soccer players.

Most EPL fans will state that it's a two team league, and Spanish fans will put up some silly numbers to dispute that. If you were to pick one of those two teams to follow you can watch all of their games live(or pretty much all of them). Following the other teams is a bit more dicey. The main publications that report them are in Spanish(duh), but there is a lot of English content as well, though not near as plentiful as the English teams.

FYI - it's PROBABLE that he is moving at this point. Liverpool released their third jersey today and he was in none of the promotional pictures. As the returning MVP of the league that's pretty telling. Obligatory shot of the new jersey(which I like).

0990__9287__sterling517_53ba4f585bbab711704583_513X793.jpg

I picked a random pre-season Top 25 from the web and we're talking about the No.3, No.9 and No.12 teams in the country in the first six weeks. That doesn't include the Crawl game against a team that beat Texas by three touchdowns last year.
It sheds a harsh spotlight on the whole just wait til Strong has some success recruiting angle. How much success can you have at 3-3? I'm guessing an offensive juggernaut hasn't developed nor has a top level D to bring sexy back by that record. It's can't be 3-3.

It sheds a harsh spotlight on the whole just wait til Strong has some success recruiting angle. How much success can you have at 3-3? I'm guessing an offensive juggernaut hasn't developed nor has a top level D to bring sexy back by that record. It's can't be 3-3.
Tricky little window he's dealing with,.

I wonder if some of the readers are totally disregarding the North Texas game as some sort of scrimmage or "breather"? I'm sure most of us remember just a few years ago when Appalachian State beat Michigan. If NT pulled-off an upset of UT, it could devastate the program for years. DON'T OVERLOOK NORTH TEXAS!

Hakeem slapping Billy Paultz (the Whopper)

story behind this is that Paultz was literally grabbing Hakeems ass in jocking for postion.

Rookie Hakeem Olajawan had enough and slapped him

Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
"The Longhorns need Gray to not only return to full-strength, but they need him to be the difference-maker everyone envisioned when he arrived."

The thing that surprises me about Gray's time at Texas so far is that I've seen nothing about his play that says "special". Pretty good for sure, but just not special. Think that ship might have sailed and that we're more likely looking at a post injury Selvin Young type of player (without VY). It might be wise to just consider anything Gray adds from here on out that's beyond replacement level RB production to be gravy.
Solid take. People thinking Gray will be close to 100% after an Achilles injury are taking crazy pills.

Re: J Gray, I think he will be a very good college all-purpose back. If M Brown can stay healthy, he is probably the better every down back (with Joe B as back up) . I hope that would allow the staff can focus on getting J Gray more open field touches. That said, I don't think J Gray has the speed to be a real difference maker. Maybe he's gotten faster as a result of his intensive rehab work, but it usually doesn't work that way. Either way, he is one of my favorite players. He was a CS type of guy before CS got here. Huge heart, great teammate.

Originally posted by harley man:

I wonder if some of the readers are totally disregarding the North Texas game as some sort of scrimmage or "breather"? I'm sure most of us remember just a few years ago when Appalachian State beat Michigan. If NT pulled-off an upset of UT, it could devastate the program for years. DON'T OVERLOOK NORTH TEXAS!
Texas wins that game by three touchdowns.

It has been a weak year for music compared to 2013. This time last year you had Yeezus, Trouble Will Find Me, MVOC, AM, Acid Rap, etc... a lot of solid albums. Outside of St. Vincent it's been a pretty crappy year.

This post was edited on 7/7 2:08 PM by cashthompson

Originally posted by roysterr:

Hakeem slapping Billy Paultz (the Whopper)

story behind this is that Paultz was literally grabbing Hakeems ass in jocking for postion.

Rookie Hakeem Olajawan had enough and slapped him
worse than a bite,never held it against Hakeem moving forward.

Ketch, looks to me that, with the exception of Kent Perkins, we have a fairly average offensive line at best.. Question. Do you believe Wickline has the chops to make them above average come Aug 30, or is it going to be an erratic work in progress through the season?

Originally posted by Baguette:
Ketch, looks to me that, with the exception of Kent Perkins, we have a fairly average offensive line at best.. Question. Do you believe Wickline has the chops to make them above average come Aug 30, or is it going to be an erratic work in progress through the season?
Yes and yes.

I was debating on watching the world cup or watching some paint dry. The paint won. (no tie).

In case anyone has forgotten or simply blocked it out of their memories (and rightfully so), when these two teams met in 2013, one of the most embarrassing scenes in the Mack Brown era (not including any number of pistol-whippings provided by Bob Stoops over the years) took place. After Mack challenged the Texas fan-base to get on the bandwagon or else risk getting left behind, Taysom Hill and Co. unceremoniously sent the Texas coach towards retirement with a beat-down that was so savage in nature that Brown was forced to fire Manny Diaz two weeks into the season.

Five-hundred-fifty rushing yards. Forty points. Countless missed tackles and assignment.

A team that ended up losing five games, including three by double digits, didn't so much as dominate the Longhorns as much as it obliterated them. The scene reminded me of the original Predator movie when Carl Weathers' character Dillon was full of so much confidence … right up until he had his arm shot off and was impaled by a seven-foot alien.

1560269.jpg

Here is the UT fanbase on that infamous night of September 7, 2013. 550. Five. Hundred. And fifty. Rushing yards.

Surprised-montage.gif

Originally posted by SAMike74:

"The Longhorns need Gray to not only return to full-strength, but they need him to be the difference-maker everyone envisioned when he arrived."

The thing that surprises me about Gray's time at Texas so far is that I've seen nothing about his play that says "special". Pretty good for sure, but just not special. Think that ship might have sailed and that we're more likely looking at a post injury Selvin Young type of player (without VY). It might be wise to just consider anything Gray adds from here on out that's beyond replacement level RB production to be gravy.
Solid take. People thinking Gray will be close to 100% after an Achilles injury are taking crazy pills.
I think if he can be an effective third down back out of the backfield, that's a win. Expecting him to a difference maker post injury, when he really hasn't shown that pre-injury is asking a lot.

Originally posted by dallashorn02:

Originally posted by SAMike74:

I think if he can be an effective third down back out of the backfield, that's a win. Expecting him to a difference maker post injury, when he really hasn't shown that pre-injury is asking a lot.
It's going to take some breaks and developments going UT's way to be anything better than 4-2 at the midway point in the season.

Originally posted by Copperhead Road:
Here is the UT fanbase on that infamous night of September 7, 2013. 550. Five. Hundred. And fifty. Rushing yards.

ec

More like this

simpsons-angry-mob-o.gif

So while aggie plays 3/4 of their games on CBS and or ESPN, Texas' national exposure comes via FS1.

Nice.

Our tackling was so bad they could have shown us some mercy by putting the ball in the air a few times.

Originally posted by etauch:
So while aggie plays 3/4 of their games on CBS and or ESPN, Texas' national exposure comes via FS1.

Nice.
Hey, maybe Gus Johnson will call the game.
confused0024.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT