ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Inspecting Tom Herman's first 100 days as UT HC)

If Reese Xanax is still a part of UT football in a couple of weeks I will be very disappointed in Herman, Perrin and the rest of the admins. Letting the law play out doesn't mean waiting until the end of the trial or case. It should mean we need a couple of weeks to verify that our commit was selling drugs on school property which means his scholarship is gone. Anything short of that is a serious dent in the reputation of the entire University.

And as I mentioned in Anwars story, if Herman is the innovator and thinker you suggest, he will fit his offense to his personnel. That means he takes advantage of a deep, elite WR roster and punts on the TE position most of the time. Good coaches player their best players the most minutes. 4 WRs on the field is a lot more helpful to a running game, let alone the passing game. What is the defense going to have to do if Dev and Foreman are slots and Burt and Johnson are wideouts? Answer...put more than 4 guys on them to avoid a pinball machine type score. That gives your RB a lot of 20 yard runs.

Shane will be seeing a lot of open WRs if we have 4 guys like that on the field and the defense wants to stack the box. And Shane is our QB, barring injury. Sam should push him, no doubt, and that's a good thing. But he is a true fresh playing behind a guy who had a very, very good year last season, much of it with nagging injuries and all of it with no experience.
When it comes to Herman, Im thinking this is you currently:

giphy.gif

Read the whole thing wondering how Casey Horny would get worked in. Laughable how some thought his hiring was ever going to amount to anything more than a footnote.

Horny won't even be on staff when next season rolls around. I'm quite confident the admin will course correct on TH's behalf when attention on the program will be at its lowest (think summertime). I'll bet they're already putting out the feelers.

In fact, it if was me, this would be among the first tasks I'd assign to Bob Shipley. I'm sure he can sort out a soft landing for the young Mr. Horny amongst the Texas HS coaching fraternity.

\m/

I think that comment he made to a school administrator can be massaged.

"He didn't mean he was a DRUG DEALER. That's not what he meant. What he meant to say was that he admitted that he only had the 20 pills because he intended to share then, and because he purchased them, he was going to get his money back. He never meant to suggest that he was an actual drug dealer."

As for the $1300, his father recently gave him his monthly allowance and his birthday had been recent.

=)roll

You wouldn't be saying any of this if it was another school considering letting in a drug dealer.

You'd be on your high horse ranting and raving. LOL!

=)roll

I think that comment he made to a school administrator can be massaged.

"He didn't mean he was a DRUG DEALER. That's not what he meant. What he meant to say was that he admitted that he only had the 20 pills because he intended to share then, and because he purchased them, he was going to get his money back. He never meant to suggest that he was an actual drug dealer."

As for the $1300, his father recently gave him his monthly allowance and his birthday had been recent.
Ha. No.

You are absolutely on the money with Romo. If Jerry Jones doesn't screw things up again it would be the best move Dallas could possibly make. At Romo's age, IMO, that would be the best deal for him, especially since he seems to be so fragile. If Dallas is going to ever advance any further in the playoffs they need all the help they can get.

Meanwhile, I went over to Charlie Strong’s Twitter page on Sunday because I wanted to make a point about his lack of interest in Twitter and do you know what I discovered?

He deleted his Twitter account.

After spending 15 minutes trying every means I could to find his Twitter handle, it dawned on me that he must have deactivated it.

I mean … I just … uh … yeah.

Who has suicide watch for @MB-HORNS ?

Reactions: EastTexasLonghorn
I think the issue with the kid from OK is that if you give him a second chance and in doing so invite the unsavory underbelly of script dealing to campus, Herman will to get absolutely raked over the coals, and rightly so. This one is extremely tricky.

Reactions: athenslawyer
If Reese Xanax is still a part of UT football in a couple of weeks I will be very disappointed in Herman, Perrin and the rest of the admins. Letting the law play out doesn't mean waiting until the end of the trial or case. It should mean we need a couple of weeks to verify that our commit was selling drugs on school property which means his scholarship is gone. Anything short of that is a serious dent in the reputation of the entire University

Sums up my thoughts well. Yes it sucks but we need to do the right thing.

"BUY or SELL: After being played out of position for two years in Strong's D under Todd Orlando, Malik Jefferson returns to the edge rusher he is meant to be and becomes a force in the defense? The Predator Returns!

(Buy) I’m buying all the stock I can in Orlando after all of the information I’ve acquired about his work at Utah State and Houston. He’d never been given an athlete quite like Jefferson to work with and I think he’s going to enjoy his toys."

Ed Oliver has already been better than Malik ever will. As a freshman. I think you may have forgotten that guy. MJ isn't in his world.

Great article. Player development (c). If you want to win in life you have four choices. 1. Work harder, 2. Be smarter, 3. Get lucky, 4. Cheat. It seems our new coach believes in the first two.

Ketch...let's not start sucking each other's popsicles yet....lets play the games

In alphabetical order, let’s audit what’s taken place in the 100 days that have passed since November 26,
@Ketchum

Ketch, I think another key piece to the puzzle (with Herman) is Fully Supporting other Texas Athletics. For Instance, The Volleyball game against Stanford for the 'Ship. He wasn't just there to make an appearance. He really cared; was really into the game; was vocal; was 1,000% Supporting The University of Texas. Love this about Herman. I am sure he will be supporting (may have already) the baseball team; the basketball teams (both women's and men's); hell, I could see him at a swim meet. Just the kind of guy he is. He truly loves this University and this is where I think Herman goes beyond and above. He wants Texas to succeed at everything. This is not only his dream job; but his Dream School. I can see waterfall effect here. Other teams (coaches) will be fully behind Herman at the University of Texas.

That's what he was charged with.

Is this not true?

According police records, Leitao was arrested at Jenks High School for “possession/delivery of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to sell within 1,000 feet of a school.” Tulsa television station Fox 23 first reported that Leitao had 20 Xanax pills and more than $1,300 in his possession. In a campus police report, Leitao allegedly admitted to an administrator that he was selling the Xanax.

I agree but I don't think the law is going to budge, first time offense on a school campus is a felony (terrible mistake) that I hope does not follow him. I had a friend that dealt in high school and it turned out really bad.
Just because I got curious, I checked Oklahoma statutes, yes it is upgraded to a felony. For a first time offender he can be fined up to $2000 or 2 years in prison or both.

When it comes to Herman, Im thinking this is you currently:

giphy.gif

Well, first, I want Herman to be hugely successful, because I am like most everyone on this board, a huge Longhorn fan. Second, that said, I tend to be less emotional, or cult like, than some here.

I am glad Strong is gone, because he proved last year he wasn't up to coaching at an elite level (hello Shaka), but the hate for him around here is over the top. He left Herman a very, very strong roster. And he picked up that roster when the Texas brand was falling fast thanks to Mack. In the end, Strong made the Texas brand fall even faster.

I am hopeful about Herman, and I am most definitely impressed with what he has done since coming on board. I think he did fine on the 2017 class, though its clear he doesn't yet have the cache with recruits that many here thought he would. His work on the recent junior day was awesome, though again kids aren't fighting to commit yet. His overall admin work has been excellent, be it social media or technology in general, facilities planning, team and calendar organization, media relations, etc. These are all huge upgrades from Strong.

We don't know about play on the field yet. I am impressed that the kids have bought in and the initial thoughts that Herman was going to run kids off by being a mindless hardass have dissipated. These kids worked hard under Strong, and their bodies showed it. I am sure they worked hard so far under Herman too. Camp Mack is dead and buried, thank goodness. Lets see if Herman and his staff have the right stuff to compete at a high level. Having a lemming type staff rather than a challenging type staff is concerning, but it works for many top head coaches. The bottom line is going to be performance. That's going to be unknown until the fall.

Reactions: Never Nuff Horns
I know a lot of schools let bad apples get on campus and maybe miss a game or two. If that drug dealer gets into Texas then you can mark that down as a turning point in Herman's trajectory. Throw the core values out the window and let's be thug U. Ummm no......that ain't happening at Texas.

Then again, I never thought he would hire a rape enabler to be on staff either so maybe thug U it is......he does have a grill;)
what do you think Saban or Meyer would do? Or Stoops?

Horny won't even be on staff when next season rolls around. I'm quite confident the admin will course correct on TH's behalf when attention on the program will be at its lowest (think summertime). I'll bet they're already putting out the feelers.
I think you're wrong.

=)roll

You wouldn't be saying any of this if it was another school considering letting in a drug dealer.

You'd be on your high horse ranting and raving. LOL!

=)roll
I'm not telling you I support the kid getting into the program. I'm telling you what I think would happen.

"BUY or SELL: After being played out of position for two years in Strong's D under Todd Orlando, Malik Jefferson returns to the edge rusher he is meant to be and becomes a force in the defense? The Predator Returns!

(Buy) I’m buying all the stock I can in Orlando after all of the information I’ve acquired about his work at Utah State and Houston. He’d never been given an athlete quite like Jefferson to work with and I think he’s going to enjoy his toys."

Ed Oliver has already been better than Malik ever will. As a freshman. I think you may have forgotten that guy. MJ isn't in his world.
Oliver isn't in Orlando's position group.

Is this not true?

According police records, Leitao was arrested at Jenks High School for “possession/delivery of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to sell within 1,000 feet of a school.” Tulsa television station Fox 23 first reported that Leitao had 20 Xanax pills and more than $1,300 in his possession. In a campus police report, Leitao allegedly admitted to an administrator that he was selling the Xanax.
I have a feeling his comments to the school admin are going to thrown out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT