ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Is Todd Orlando the new Tim Beck?)

Disagree 1000%....We had to settle for a FG and zero points twice inside their 10 yard line. If you have a chance score a TD you do so. One would think that at worst if your defense gave up a TD you go to OT. Holgorsen rolled the dice on a 2 pt conversion that had it failed they may have not let him on the plane back to WVU.
Don't know about you but I had the sick feeling that if WV had been forced to go for the two point conversion half a dozen times they would have succeeded on at least five.

Reactions: UTDB and asics
Don't know about you but I had the sick feeling that if WV had been forced to go for the two point conversion half a dozen times they would have succeeded on at least five.

I wasn’t confident at all but it was one play. Still surprised that Holgerson went for it instead of having an entire series from the 25 yd line in OT.

Going for it in that situation is usually something a coach does when they are a severe underdog and are outmanned.

Sure. Then we can’t have the conversation as currently constructed.
sure we can. we're having it.

By any standards, Biles is absolutely worthy of her position in the No.1 spot.

Disagree 1000%....We had to settle for a FG and zero points twice inside their 10 yard line. If you have a chance score a TD you do so. One would think that at worst if your defense gave up a TD you go to OT. Holgorsen rolled the dice on a 2 pt conversion that had it failed they may have not let him on the plane back to WVU.
disagreement is ok.

Reactions: asics
I wasn’t confident at all but it was one play. Still surprised that Holgerson went for it instead of having an entire series from the 25 yd line in OT.

Going for it in that situation is usually something a coach does when they are a severe underdog and are outmanned.
we agree on the last point.

Reactions: asics
sure we can. we're having it.

By any standards, Biles is absolutely worthy of her position in the No.1 spot.
Yeah, we comparing apples to oranges and which you prefer, but there’s entertainment value there, so you achieved your goal. ;)

Yeah, we comparing apples to oranges and which you prefer, but there’s entertainment value there, so you achieved your goal. ;)
Is Sammy Baugh the greatest quarterback the state ever produced?

maybe answer the question? it's relevant.

signed,
non-Babe homer
This is exactly where we disagree. The answer to that is completely irrelevant, because you changed the game. There's layers to the initial question that don't exist in this question. Just at it's foundation, picking the best "athlete", which still needs a definition itself, instead of just picking who is the best player in one sport is a whole other game...and that's just one problem with the argument.

Signed,
Logical Nuancer ;)

This is exactly where we disagree. The answer to that is completely irrelevant, because you changed the game. There's layers to the initial question that don't exist in this question. Just at it's foundation, picking the best "athlete", which still needs a definition itself, instead of just picking who is the best player in one sport is a whole other game...and that's just one problem with the argument.

Signed,
Logical Nuancer ;)
Best athlete = most dominant with respect to all eras and contexts. I'd argue as great as Babe was, and she was great, she was never more dominant than Biles has been. Yes, she won, but she really didn't accomplish anything in track that was truly memorable. Her golf career was very good, but not really the stuff anyone talks about today. She gets extra points for versatility, but again, the context matters.

Biles is literally in the conversation on just a couple of fingers as the greatest gymnast that has ever lived.

No one else on the list is spoken about in that same kind of breath.

Best athlete = most dominant with respect to all eras and contexts. I'd argue as great as Babe was, and she was great, she was never more dominant than Biles has been. Yes, she won, but she really didn't accomplish anything in track that was truly memorable. Her golf career was very good, but not really the stuff anyone talks about today. She gets extra points for versatility, but again, the context matters.

Biles is literally in the conversation on just a couple of fingers as the greatest gymnast that has ever lived.

No one else on the list is spoken about in that same kind of breath.
I get that, but can she swing a golf club? :) Maybe she should be “most dominant” athlete then?

I get that, but can she swing a golf club? :) Maybe she should be “most dominant” athlete then?
best
/best/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality.
    "the best pitcher in the league"
    synonyms: finest, greatest, top, foremost, leading, preeminent, premier, prime, first, chief, principal, supreme, of the highest quality, superlative, par excellence, unrivaled, second to none, without equal, nonpareil, unsurpassed, peerless, matchless, unparalleled, unbeaten, unbeatable, optimum, optimal, ultimate, incomparable, ideal, perfect; More
Biles fits that description much more than babe, no?

best
/best/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality.
    "the best pitcher in the league"
    synonyms: finest, greatest, top, foremost, leading, preeminent, premier, prime, first, chief, principal, supreme, of the highest quality, superlative, par excellence, unrivaled, second to none, without equal, nonpareil, unsurpassed, peerless, matchless, unparalleled, unbeaten, unbeatable, optimum, optimal, ultimate, incomparable, ideal, perfect; More
Biles fits that description much more than babe, no?
Again, one discipline. Best athlete in one discipline. Sure. Overall athlete? Different discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT