ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Is Todd Orlando the new Tim Beck?)

Well you missed out on the greatest of Babe who excelled in basketball, baseball, bowling, high jump, tennis, and golf so I am not surprised but I will help you out on this one. Janis had a reputation of being very athletic on a mattress.

she was the best of the best. The Joplin mattress became a best seller for years.

I wasn't surprised at all about the final drive. I knew the game was lost as soon as Duvernay crossed the goal line with 2 minutes left. I wasn't surprised at all that they went for 2 either. I'd already accepted it before they got into the red zone. That defense can't stop anything.

As a Golden Triangle guy, it’s The Babe all day. Not that I’m biased.

Honestly though, I see Biles as the best athlete/performer in her sport on another level from past gymnasts. Babe was an all-around athlete unheard of at the time. Hard to compare, but I would lean towards a multi-disciplined athlete if they were elite.

Reactions: NativeTex
As a Golden Triangle guy, it’s The Babe all day. Not that I’m biased.

Honestly though, I see Biles as the best athlete/performer in her sport on another level from past gymnasts. Babe was an all-around athlete unheard of at the time. Hard to compare, but I would lean towards a multi-disciplined athlete if they were elite.
Yeah, but Babe barely competed against non-anglo athletes. She was the best of an era that was far more limited and her best doesn't hold up over current measures.

Biles is literally in the discussion of the best female gymnast that ever lived, with no needed asterixis'.

A case can be made that Simone Biles is the greatest athlete in the history of Texas regardless of gender, in light of her absolute dominance on a global stage.

Warehime out. Maybe bumped into an admin scouting/role.

Any chance then they go get Beatty?

BUY or SELL: Herman should have marched the ball methodically down the field (as we did against Tulsa, K State and ou sux) for a TD or FG on our last meaningful possession rather than the quick strike TD to Duvernay thus leaving too much time on the clock for West Virginia to score?
(Buy) Better game management was critical in that situation. At that stage of the game, it mattered more that UT leave West Virginia with as little time as possible (or none) more than it mattered to score seven points right there. It's easy to say you'll take the points whenever they come, but there are consequences for not managing the clock better and Texas paid the price for them this week.

Careful, I've been called an idiot, a potato and lacking in intelligence for offering that opinion.

Random thoughts:

I love it, Ketch, when you have a dialogue with us obs.

Absolutely thrilled about the improvement in the passing game!

Wish I had more confidence in CTH's decisions concerning strategy. He just seems to me slightly out of tune. Hard to really take seriously someone who blows bubbles during the game.

Keep up the good work. You have assembled a very gifted staff. I admit to a special fondness for the analyses by McComas.

Yeah, but Babe barely competed against non-anglo athletes. She was the best of an era that was far more limited and her best doesn't hold up over current measures.

Biles is literally in the discussion of the best female gymnast that ever lived, with no needed asterixis'.
I understand but then we can’t have the discussion if you try to measure eras. We would need to have parameters around it. Also, I don’t see an “athlete” as just someone really great their sport.

No scheme in the world matters if you can't wrap up when you tackle. That basic fundamental is what is lacking. Its like watching a game of pinball when Texas gets run on.

I couldn't agree more. It seems very consistent that Texas defense is just trying for "big hits". They hardly ever wrap up. If they concentrated on wrapping and holding for teammates to help out, it would make a huge difference.

Reactions: DubaiBob

Do you know the race of all that competed against Babe in the Olympics which is of course international. Asians competed as well as Africans. She won the javelin gold medal which is a field event not a track event. She pitched in a major league exhibition game and won. She played in a men's GA event and made the cut. Winning gymastic events in only single sport does not equate to all around athletism. Only you and a few others would ever place asterics on all athletes before whatever date you have deemed the cut off date for GOAT. Babe was before my time as was Jim Thorpe who in my opinion was the greatest athletes of all time and he was not an anglo. Yet you have ranked a single female tennis player who hs never competed in any other sport as the greatest athlete of all time. There is a pattern

Understood, but night game in Lubbock requires a great effort for UT to win. With the current state of the defense, I am not confident.
With ZERO pass rush, Tech doesn't need exemplary QB play to move the ball.

Tech's dreadlock QB look pretty good to me. Surely a better runner than collapsed lung guy. I don't think it matters. If our defense mails it in, it will be a long night.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Iowa State is in a sneaky good position. They are playing better football than Texas right now.

Whatever. If we lay an egg against Iowa St. this team has made zero progress in year two regardless of stats. It just cannot be allowed to happen.

BUY or SELL: Herman should have marched the ball methodically down the field (as we did against Tulsa, K State and ou sux) for a TD or FG on our last meaningful possession rather than the quick strike TD to Duvernay thus leaving too much time on the clock for West Virginia to score?
(Buy) Better game management was critical in that situation. At that stage of the game, it mattered more that UT leave West Virginia with as little time as possible (or none) more than it mattered to score seven points right there. It's easy to say you'll take the points whenever they come, but there are consequences for not managing the clock better and Texas paid the price for them this week.

I have had several arguments regarding strategy in this situation with other fans,

You can't game plan a big play touchdown.

Of course you can't plan for it. A big play is always a surprise.

I don't see how anyone can turn down a big play ending in TD with THE POSSIBILIITY of averaging 3-5 yards per play, hoping there is no off sides, holding penalites or the like.....

Of course it would be better to take more time off the clock.

You gotta take points when you can get them.

Agree. Attempting to manage a clock with that much time on it while also knowing you need a TD would have been idiotic. If you score quicker than you intended so be it. Oh, and maybe if you shit defense could stop a bread wagon, going uphill, on biscuit wheels, you would have won. You score 40+ at home you should calling that a win. smh

Reactions: edmondhorn2
Do you think Giles is a liability overall due to his lack of recruiting prowess?
Yes, because (1) he’s the only one recruiting Dline and (2) he’s the first defensive coach in many years to fail to recruit top D linemen. Okay, enough sarcasm, but if a position is opened up I hope it goes to the D side and it’s a water moccasin of a recruiter. Recruiting for the front seven is “spotty”.

Reactions: edmondhorn2
Random thoughts:

I love it, Ketch, when you have a dialogue with us obs.

Absolutely thrilled about the improvement in the passing game!

Wish I had more confidence in CTH's decisions concerning strategy. He just seems to me slightly out of tune. Hard to really take seriously someone who blows bubbles during the game.

Keep up the good work. You have assembled a very gifted staff. I admit to a special fondness for the analyses by McComas.
Thanks for the really kind words. I think Herman is a smart guy, but I don't know if game management on the fly is his specialty.

I understand but then we can’t have the discussion if you try to measure eras. We would need to have parameters around it. Also, I don’t see an “athlete” as just someone really great their sport.
I think not having a half-full competition of athletes is something I'd build a parameter around.

Do you know the race of all that competed against Babe in the Olympics which is of course international. Asians competed as well as Africans. She won the javelin gold medal which is a field event not a track event. She pitched in a major league exhibition game and won. She played in a men's GA event and made the cut. Winning gymastic events in only single sport does not equate to all around athletism. Only you and a few others would ever place asterics on all athletes before whatever date you have deemed the cut off date for GOAT. Babe was before my time as was Jim Thorpe who in my opinion was the greatest athletes of all time and he was not an anglo. Yet you have ranked a single female tennis player who hs never competed in any other sport as the greatest athlete of all time. There is a pattern
Just my opinion. Biles is the greatest female athlete in the history of the state. I've explained my reasons for thinking so.

Go back and look at the photos of the women she was competing against...

Meanwhile, we are about to get a sixth wide receiver to go along with two 3 star DL. And, our only other likely addition is another 3 star if he gets rejected by LSU. Peachy....
Seven on seven recruiting.

I think not having a half-full competition of athletes is something I'd build a parameter around.
Sure. Then we can’t have the conversation as currently constructed.

Disagree 1000%....We had to settle for a FG and zero points twice inside their 10 yard line. If you have a chance score a TD you do so. One would think that at worst if your defense gave up a TD you go to OT. Holgorsen rolled the dice on a 2 pt conversion that had it failed they may have not let him on the plane back to WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT