ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It all hit me upside the head today...)

I had forgot that Kenny Rogers was a graduate of Jeff Davis H.S. In Houston.

Additionally: talking about having something like Sports taken away from you and how people will respond, just look at the Houston Texans. After the Oilers left town there was a 6 year wait for Texans to be born. Since that first upset win over the cowboys, the Texans have sold out every single game and have a waiting list of 29,000 for Season Tickets.
yeah man, we're going to be itching to turn the fan side of us on at high volumes.

So here's the deal for anyone who wasn't on the 40 acres from '89 to '92....

Shane Dronett would've destroyed any of those guys in a boxing match. 6'6 280 and was golden gloves boxer and the meanest s.o.b. you ever met in your life. There are dozens of stories of people across Texas learning that the hard way...you did not ever get cross with Dronett or you got your ass kicked. And he wupped the crap out of Stan Thomas in a brawl during 2-a-days.
I have heard stories of a guy that I used to work with that pushed him to a draw outside of Bert's BBQ on MLK.

@Ketchum

This might just be my favorite 10 Thoughts of all time...you killed this week, from the Cuban doctors to Simms and VY to Kenny Rogers...just outstanding!

As I get older, nothing seems to impact me more than the deaths of my favorite musicians. It’s almost like a part of my youth dies with them. The songs are special but it’s also the memories of the times when their songs were so popular...when you’re young and free with your friends and family and the songs mean so much more.

Losing Kenny Rogers, Neil Peart and Ric Ocasek so close together really saddens this kid of the 70’s and 80’s. I guess every generation feels the same way, but they just don’t make em like they used to...
You nailed it.

Reactions: Universal Horn
Ketch you’re nailed this one, by far your best work I’ve ever read.
The part about you being a hopeless romantic is me to a T.
That also made me smile seeing those Cuban doctors go into battle that way so courageous.
We will all get through this set back and I believe this is going to bring everybody back to the center again and being more courteous and respectful of one another again I’m praying this changes things for the better.
Us hopeless romantics have to stick together!

Reactions: Tex51
Great post, Ketch! Thank you.
Yesterday was a really tough day for me. 7 days straight of work, and my young kiddos had major cabin fever. This board has been saving my sanity.
I feel you, my man. Hang in there. Here if you need anything we can help with.

Faced with a crisis never quite seen in the history of our planet
Seems like a bit of hyperbole. Maybe if you said "in our lifetimes", but if we are going outside of the natural world, WWII and the Holocaust would seem as larger crisis. Or Spanish Flu. Or Bubonic plague. And if we are talking about the history of the planet, how about the asteroid that killed all of the dinosaurs and left just the furry little creatures that turned into us?

Not to suggest that this isn't a big deal. That sentence just struck me as a little much.

Seems like a bit of hyperbole. Maybe if you said "in our lifetimes", but if we are going outside of the natural world, WWII and the Holocaust would seem as larger crisis. Or Spanish Flu. Or Bubonic plague. And if we are talking about the history of the planet, how about the asteroid that killed all of the dinosaurs and left just the furry little creatures that turned into us?

Not to suggest that this isn't a big deal. That sentence just struck me as a little much.
Glad you got that very important point out of your system. Now you can move on with your day.;)

(Buy) Is that Greg Brown III's new nickname? I like it.

giphy.gif

And my grandmother and I loved him in the movie "Six-Pack." I can't tell you how many times I've seen the movie, but I can tell you it was a lot and every time we watched it together, we laughed together. Honestly, it's one of the favorite memories I have with her.

So, yeah, I was sad to wake up Saturday morning to lean that Rogers had passed away at the age of 81. They just don't make them like Kenny Rogers, any more. With that said, here's my top 10 Rogers songs.

10. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)

9. Don't Fall in Live With a Dreamer

8. Lucille

7. She Believes in Me

6. Coward of the County

5. We've Got Tonight

4. Love Will Turn You Around

3. Islands in the Stream

2. Lady

1. The Gambler

Six-Pack ranks on the list on the most awesome bad movies. Like Road House and Point Break. Too bad it's not on every day somewhere like those are.

I clearly get the reason for The Gambler being #1, but honestly, it's not my favorite. Not sure which I would put at #1, but Islands in the Stream is a strong candidate along of course with "Lady." BTW, shout out to Lionel Richie for the songwriting on that one.

Six-Pack ranks on the list on the most awesome bad movies. Like Road House and Point Break. Too bad it's not on every day somewhere like those are.

I clearly get the reason for The Gambler being #1, but honestly, it's not my favorite. Not sure which I would put at #1, but Islands in the Stream is a strong candidate along of course with "Lady." BTW, shout out to Lionel Richie for the songwriting on that one.
Shout to Lionel for loving Kenny so much that he gave him the song.

Lionel sings that song like a total badass.

Why don't you do a bracket challenge with 10 - 20 Texas athletes including basketball players. Let's see who comes out Number 1. We have the time.
I have a different bracket challenge in mind in the coming weeks.

Reactions: marka1
It's probably been said already, but Jordan even had to win a game against Kenny Rogers!

He was pumped to score the last basket.

Reactions: DanielSucks
Shout to Lionel for loving Kenny so much that he gave him the song.

Lionel sings that song like a total badass.

It was originally written for the Commodores but they passed on it. Along those lines, "We've Got Tonight" was penned by Bob Seger.

Cuban Dr are delighted to leave Cuba.

What I think is funny about everyone praising the Cuban Doctors is the lack of understanding they did not have a say in the matter. They did not volunteer so I'm not sure it's the "Jessica in a Well” story the OP and other posters want it to be. Under the Cuban regime, you do what you are told.

Last edited:
Reactions: styrbjorn
On your first point - I agree, this week has been a colossal downer on nearly all fronts. Let's all try to be aware of the mental health of friends and loved ones - especially those who are already feeling isolated and alone. I'm worried that we may see a spike in depression and even suicides as this goes on. I know we say it all the time, but reach out to your friends.

On a less positive note, you do realize those Cuban doctors are essentially slave labor for the regime, and that this is primarily a propaganda thing, right? Anastasia O'Grady of the WSJ has been doing a great job for years of detailing how the regime ships these doctors all over the world, pockets their pay, and keeps them in tightly controlled compounds so they won't defect. There will be a lot of wonderful things done by all sorts of people in the face of the pandemic, but I'm not sure Cuba's gesture is a great example of altruism.

Love the sports content but too much gloom and doom …. I still think we're wayyy over doing it.JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT