ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's not just that the D gave up 50... )

All of Shane's passes are to the sidelines. No curls (or almost none), no slants, no crossing routes, no long shots down the middle of the field. We will pay a price for being so limited.

Is Shane's lack of height a problem in terms of seeing the middle of the field?

McCallum '58

Need to see more Jones, Elliott (both of them), Duvernay, Roach, Hager and less of Haines, Hill, K Boyd, Bonney.
I don't know that we need to see different personnel, I trust the coaches have their reasons for the kids that are playing. What we definitely need to see is a backfield that is not confused by the offense, players that know their individual assignments or at least know who the are supposed to cover before the play and can communicate with each other. IMO, we would have been better running pure man D. We could have overloaded one side of the offensive line and perhaps put pressure on their QB. I don't think they could have played pitch and catch any more than they did!

Am I the only one who thought they should have put heard in at qb when buechele got hurt instead of swoopes cal couldn't stop him to save their life last year?
I would have voted to put Swoopes in and let him RUN instead of pass. Still can't figure out why we passed so much when they never really stopped the run. The only thing they seemed to adjust to was stopping our runs down the middle. It appeared to me there was running room on either side.

Reactions: hookembass
All of Shane's passes are to the sidelines. No curls (or almost none), no slants, no crossing routes, no long shots down the middle of the field. We will pay a price for being so limited.

Is Shane's lack of height a problem in terms of seeing the middle of the field?

McCallum '58
I think Shane's inexperience plays a role. He's still adjusting and adding comfort in stages.

As for the defense, no one could cover Hanson. We made him look like Jerry Rice. Hell he was 10 yards away from our DB's on nearly every catch. We made the QB look like Joe Montana all night long.
This is what I'm tired of. To this day, when I hear "Taysom Hill" I think, "Boy I feel sorry for whoever plays BYU today" and then I realize, he's only ever been Superman when he plays us.
And then I hear about Iowa State possibly switching starting QB's because Lanning sucks, and I think, "Lanning doesn't suck, he's a dynamic passer with incredible intangible talents." But the sample size was only 1 game from last year.
We make more Heisman Trophy candidates that we produce.

And color me another "Maybe-this-Pac12-idea-ain't-that-great" guy. I started with basement full of neighbors watching the game with me and by the end of the 3rd qtr, I was on a solo mission to finish.

Lastly, those neighbors are all Hawkeye fans and alums. I can tell you 2 things about them; 1) They blame Ferentz WAY more than Greg Davis and, 2) They are going to have their hearts ripped out when that Bishop Dunne CB decommits in a few months.

This is what I'm tired of. To this day, when I hear "Taysom Hill" I think, "Boy I feel sorry for whoever plays BYU today" and then I realize, he's only ever been Superman when he plays us.
And then I hear about Iowa State possibly switching starting QB's because Lanning sucks, and I think, "Lanning doesn't suck, he's a dynamic passer with incredible intangible talents." But the sample size was only 1 game from last year.
We make more Heisman Trophy candidates that we produce.

And color me another "Maybe-this-Pac12-idea-ain't-that-great" guy. I started with basement full of neighbors watching the game with me and by the end of the 3rd qtr, I was on a solo mission to finish.

Lastly, those neighbors are all Hawkeye fans and alums. I can tell you 2 things about them; 1) They blame Ferentz WAY more than Greg Davis and, 2) They are going to have their hearts ripped out when that Bishop Dunne CB decommits in a few months.
such a good post.

I don't know that we need to see different personnel, I trust the coaches have their reasons for the kids that are playing. What we definitely need to see is a backfield that is not confused by the offense, players that know their individual assignments or at least know who the are supposed to cover before the play and can communicate with each other. IMO, we would have been better running pure man D. We could have overloaded one side of the offensive line and perhaps put pressure on their QB. I don't think they could have played pitch and catch any more than they did!
Agree somewhat regarding personnel. Why no press coverage to throw off the timing of the routes? At least mix it up to give them some different looks.

Agree somewhat regarding personnel. Why no press coverage to throw off the timing of the routes? At least mix it up to give them some different looks.
I don't think this is a defense that switches back and forth, with constant mixing. It's just not what its been.

Maybe something they should consider?!?! If you are going to get smoked, might as well do it being aggressive.
Maybe the team is just trying to lean on what it thinks it does best, which really isn't that good, for a little too long.

Geoff Ketchum, what did you mean by this, "… I wonder what the folks on Iowa message boards were saying about Greg Davis this weekend?"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT