ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (It's Texas, OU and everyone else...)

Is 8 Parasite or JoJo? Neither worked with my schedule, by firend saw both and strongly preferred JoJo. Ford v Ferrari was very good, but it is a Disney movie through-and-through. A Beautiful Day in The Neighborhood was really enjoyable. Hanks killed it. Just Mercy and Two Popes are others to checkout.

Losing to ou in October would put Herman at 1-3 against ou. If this happens beating them in December becomes pretty damn important. He damn sure doesn't want to be 1-4...
But....you would certainly take Ketch’s prediction joyfully right?

I assume we're talking 10-3 with three losses to top 10 teams - I'd say we're on schedule in year 3 of the rebuild - especially if said losses are contested to the bitter end. Don't get me wrong, there will be bitterness and knee jerking but, when the dust settles, rational thought will take it's place.

The narrative at that point would be this; Texas is not yet elite, but making progress toward that goal. In 2020 we'd have a Sr. Quarterback coming off a "Heisman ballpark" type season, the best players on the team will have been on campus 2-4 years, highly reducing the need to rely on true freshman, there would be more depth, the number of 4+ star players on campus would be more in line with what you see from teams that take up residence in the top 10.

Now, if you FF to the end of 2020 and we're in the same place, I'd have to say the build has hit a pause or plateau and maybe some reevaluation is in order. At that point Herman would have lost 5 in a row to gooner and I dare say, the natives would be restless......
R5p9G94.gif
Totally fair.

Reactions: FrancoBevo
I assume we're talking 10-3 with three losses to top 10 teams - I'd say we're on schedule in year 3 of the rebuild - especially if said losses are contested to the bitter end. Don't get me wrong, there will be bitterness and knee jerking but, when the dust settles, rational thought will take it's place.

The narrative at that point would be this; Texas is not yet elite, but making progress toward that goal. In 2020 we'd have a Sr. Quarterback coming off a "Heisman ballpark" type season, the best players on the team will have been on campus 2-4 years, highly reducing the need to rely on true freshman, there would be more depth, the number of 4+ star players on campus would be more in line with what you see from teams that take up residence in the top 10.

Now, if you FF to the end of 2020 and we're in the same place, I'd have to say the build has hit a pause or plateau and maybe some reevaluation is in order. At that point Herman would have lost 5 in a row to gooner and I dare say, the natives would be restless......
R5p9G94.gif

I’m kinda on board with your analysis. However, it’s not like we have recruited scrubs during those down years. I agree next year, barring injuries, this team should enter the playoffs undefeated. But I will add that Oklahoma never seems to have a down year. So the excuses run a little hollow with me. It’s time to get it done. I would be okay with splitting with ou. But I’m not okay with losing twice.

Great catch by Davis, but the deep flank official was in the wrong position to make that call. Needs to be anchored on the GL extended a few feet off the sideline on that play to judge TD v. no TD.

Some of those movies I hadn’t heard of but look great. Will definitely be seeing some of those too.

Disagree a little re Hurts. The proof will be in the pudding as they’ve played no defense with even a semblance of a pulse to date. He may as well have been playing against air so far.

Let’s revisit this after we play Iowa St and Baylor on the road.
2013 night game in Ames, Texas wins by one point after a very controversial non fumble call by Johnathan Gray

2015 night game in Ames, Texas gets shut out 24-0 by a team led a LB who played QB. All-Galaxy Michael Dickson actually missed the practice net while warming up for a punt on the sideline.

2017 night game in Ames, Texas wins scoring only 2 TD's and on both drives Texas gets the aid of stupid personal foul penalties by Iowa St. Otherwise they probably lose that game.

I was at all three of these Fusterclucks. I'm not saying Baylor isn't better than Iowa St. But playing in Ames at night in November IS NOT a recipe for an easy win.

Reactions: DrewH14 and J Tull
Great catch by Davis, but the deep flank official was in the wrong position to make that call. Needs to be anchored on the GL extended a few feet off the sideline on that play to judge TD v. no TD.
Did you see the stands? They probably couldn't afford deep flank officials. It was probably a 3 man crew :)

Reactions: Hbacker
Disagree a little re Hurts. The proof will be in the pudding as they’ve played no defense with even a semblance of a pulse to date. He may as well have been playing against air so far.
what do you disagree with? that's he's the current No.1?

Hurts' passing efficiency, he's #1, passing TDs he's tied for 11th, passing yds/game he's 10th, points responsible for per game he's 5th

by comparison, for all stats stated Sam is 10th, 6th, 11th, 6th.

Numbers are what the numbers are (very evenly matched IMO), but I think Hurts, like all other gooner QBs, benefits from the system. If i'm projecting to the next level, Sam would be higher on my draft board b/c he runs more of what the NFL runs and his numbers are less inflated by a system that hasn't translated to NFL success in the past. I think the jury is still out on Ewok and Douche.

Reactions: MATF
Re #1: If Texas has 2 losses following the OU game, then there’s going to be a lot of nail biting and hand-wringing on this board with 6 games remaining on the schedule and zero margin for error.

Re #4: I think Boo is finally playing the level of competition on a weekly basis that will allow him to flourish. What’s more, I think Sonny Dykes’ style of Offense is so perfectly suited for their conference. Truly a match made in heaven.

That he’s shown enough vs who they’ve played to be considered #1.

He may well be when the dust clears, but I’m waiting to anoint him until OU plays against a defense with a pulse.

That he’s shown enough vs who they’ve played to be considered #1.

He may well be when the dust clears, but I’m waiting to anoint him until OU plays against a defense with a pulse.
He's the Vegas favorite.

Also, you realize he's played in the biggest of the big games, right? He's significantly more proven than Murray was at this time.

I was looking at the first poll released on Sunday, which I believe was the Coaches Poll.
Maybe edit it and have it show that they are in the Top 25 for the first time in 33 years. Makes what Shane is doing even more impressive IMO.

He's the Vegas favorite.

Also, you realize he's played in the biggest of the big games, right? He's significantly more proven than Murray was at this time.

Yes sure, but give me Burrows as of right now. He’s earned it more this season in my estimation.

Yes sure, but give me Burrows as of right now. He’s earned it more this season in my estimation.
Flip a coin stuff at this stage of things. Both have been out of this world good.

Nope. He's too far behind numbers-wise at this point and doesn't have enough juice on the schedule to warrant real consideration. Clemson is clearly showing they don't need much from him to run the table so it really won't matter. Tua will be there. Hurts will likely be there. Clearly Sam has plenty of opportunity to get there. Taylor is pretty much a "meh" prospect. I mean, is he even the best RB in his own conference?[/QUOTE

Shows how out of sync you are when talking football. Taylor a "meh" prospect -- LMAO
That's almost as dumb as saying Tiger is the GOAT

Something about this year’s ou team seems different, in spite of their tremendous showings in games to date.

As of now, I question both lines, and ask “can we run on them? And can we blitz successfully?” The game will hinge on these factors in my opinion.

Unfortunately, this weekend will only show more of the same. The land thieves have played little competition this year, and I think they will have some tricky gadgets honed up for our forces in two weeks. My hope is we overcome all of it and take our “first” meeting.

Don't try so hard. By "meh" prospect I'm talking about as a Heisman Winner. Let me clue you in as to how "out of sync" I am when talking football. Taylor has rushed for 4k yards combined the last 2 seasons. And 5 weeks into this season, with an unbeaten Wisky team, the best he is showing is a distant fourth in current Heisman straw polls, and his odds have dropped since the start of the season.

What about the 1995 backfield of Priest Holmes, Shon Mitchell, Ricky Williams, Ricky Brown, and a freshman Wane McGarity?

Remember this. All 3 qbs have come from different schools other than OU.Makes a difference

Don't try so hard. By "meh" prospect I'm talking about as a Heisman Winner. Let me clue you in as to how "out of sync" I am when talking football. Taylor has rushed for 4k yards combined the last 2 seasons. And 5 weeks into this season, with an unbeaten Wisky team, the best he is showing is a distant fourth in current Heisman straw polls, and his odds have dropped since the start of the season.

Meh

ADVERTISEMENT