ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Kudos to PK, but what about 2023?)

like what? Try to answer this question with your fan hat put to the side.
Like what? Relationships (teammate, coaches, etc) for one. I’m not saying it’s the wrong decision but to say going to usc because it has a heisman qb and contract year isn’t the only thing that goes into the equation. His roommate is literally Ewers. Sark forces the ball to him. He hugs his wife. I’m not wearing a fan hat just don’t buy into the “money is the only thing that matters”

Like what? Relationships (teammate, coaches, etc) for one. I’m not saying it’s the wrong decision but to say going to usc because it has a heisman qb and contract year isn’t the only thing that goes into the equation. His roommate is literally Ewers. Sark forces the ball to him. He hugs his wife. I’m not wearing a fan hat just don’t buy into the “money is the only thing that matters”

By that same token, is Bijan a bad teammate if he goes pro after his junior season?

He cherry picked the most important game on the entire schedule and the one that he actually was healthy in.
Also if we’re talking about “risk” .. are we sure Worthy would be the unquestioned #1 at USC. Mario Williams was higher ranked and I’m sure they would get someone else in the portal (see Addison)

@Ketchum

I get that worthy was in the portal last off season but Texas talked him out of it before he was actually visible in it (players who enter portal have 24 or so hours for their team to talk them out of it before they publicly appear in it), but you really think Texas can't keep him here with a year 2 of Ewers?? I mean, Ewers is in reality a true freshman on the field. so, you are 100% on the below?

B/S Worthy won’t be back at UT next season

(Buy) I just don't see him coming back to Texas with the quarterback situation being such a question mark going into next season. It's his contract year he'll have options and he's likely going to want something a little less risky.

I'm not sure that's enough time to fix what he needs to fix. The entire mental side of the game, his knowledge of the offense and his ability to make progressions beyond a first read are all on the table as things that need improvement.
I agree that there's a level of development that needs to happen over the summer, but nobody felt like Quinn was horrible in his first few starts. I know there are mechanical issues, but in my opinion the main issue is between his ears. A few weeks to get some reps and get that sorted out could very well see him finish on a strong note. I think he can be great next year, but I'd settle for Good in the bowl game. It would be a huge confidence booster going into the off season.

Reactions: Rockhornfan
Also if we’re talking about “risk” .. are we sure Worthy would be the unquestioned #1 at USC. Mario Williams was higher ranked and I’m sure they would get someone else in the portal (see Addison)

Mario Williams would be a good WR partner to play with.

I think Brooks will be electric next year. He doesn’t have the moves and power that Bijan has, but his top end speed will allow him to house some runs. He has a 7.1 yards per carry this year and is at 4.7 if you take away his 70 harder, but his rushes are generally at a time when the defense knows we are running the ball.

I think he’s a bit undervalued in what he will bring next year. @Suchomel talked a bit about him in the post game video and the Texas coaches think very highly of him.

Reactions: WapitiHorn
Don’t be dumb. You know that’s not the same
why?

In both instances, you'd have players making decisions that are best for themselves without putting their teammates ahead of that.

@Ketchum

I get that worthy was in the portal last off season but Texas talked him out of it before he was actually visible in it (players who enter portal have 24 or so hours for their team to talk them out of it before they publicly appear in it), but you really think Texas can't keep him here with a year 2 of Ewers?? I mean, Ewers is in reality a true freshman on the field. so, you are 100% on the below?

(Buy) I just don't see him coming back to Texas with the quarterback situation being such a question mark going into next season. It's his contract year he'll have options and he's likely going to want something a little less risky.

I'm honestly not sure what's going to happen. There are a lot of factors in play.

Reactions: SWTHORN123
Because...

a. He'll have options.
b. The quarterback play
c. Next year is his contract year and he's not risking it with b
Curious question: Let's assume that Texas had eked out close wins in 2/3 of Texas Tech, TCU, and Ok State. Instead of losing by 3 or 7, Texas wins those two games by 3 or 7. Worthy and Ewers season stats unchanged. Texas would be sitting at 9-2, and likely heading to Big 12 championship. Would that impact your a-b-c logic for Worthy?

I agree that there's a level of development that needs to happen over the summer, but nobody felt like Quinn was horrible in his first few starts. I know there are mechanical issues, but in my opinion the main issue is between his ears. A few weeks to get some reps and get that sorted out could very well see him finish on a strong note. I think he can be great next year, but I'd settle for Good in the bowl game. It would be a huge confidence booster going into the off season.
5 quarters is a very small sample size. I always felt that way,.

Reactions: styrbjorn
@Ketchum

The qb situation = 2 five stars, 1 four star and an alleged qb guru. Guess 3-4 games trumps all

I think his hands are fine. I wonder about his focus, though, as his frustration levels increase.

This strikes me as a tremendously convenient excuse. "Oh well, dropped it...I mean I COULD have caught it if I were focused...'

I mean, maybe it's right? But he's who he is on the field. I'm not sure it matters why he can't catch very well. Do we get extra yards for "could have caught it if he was focused?"

That's the beauty of a message board, the writers and the fans can just act like they didnt say all off season there was no talent on the defensive side of the ball and then lament that we lose a lot on the defensive side of the ball.

Curious question: Let's assume that Texas had eked out close wins in 2/3 of Texas Tech, TCU, and Ok State. Instead of losing by 3 or 7, Texas wins those two games by 3 or 7. Worthy and Ewers season stats unchanged. Texas would be sitting at 9-2, and likely heading to Big 12 championship. Would that impact your a-b-c logic for Worthy?
Hard to say. I'm not sure. It might to some degree.

Reactions: styrbjorn
This strikes me as a tremendously convenient excuse. "Oh well, dropped it...I mean I COULD have caught it if I were focused...'

I mean, maybe it's right? But he's who he is on the field. I'm not sure it matters why he can't catch very well. Do we get extra yards for "could have caught it if he was focused?"

I think his hands are fine. Maybe he's just in a slump. I'm not sure I can pin down the reason for the drops with certainty.

That's the beauty of a message board, the writers and the fans can just act like they didnt say all off season there was no talent on the defensive side of the ball and then lament that we lose a lot on the defensive side of the ball.

I said throughout the off-season that I thought the defense had at least 6 or 7 future pros on it. My fellow mods looked at me like I was crazy, but I most certainly never said that the defense had no talent.

5 quarters is a very small sample size. I always felt that way,.
why?

In both instances, you'd have players making decisions that are best for themselves without putting their teammates ahead of that.
One is going pro, one is transferring. You know it’s different. One is saying I don’t believe in my teammates, the other is going pro after sacrificing his body game in game out when he could’ve transferred.

Reactions: stl_gage
One is going pro, one is transferring. You know it’s different. One is saying I don’t believe in my teammates, the other is going pro after sacrificing his body game in game out when he could’ve transferred.

No, both would be looking out for themselves and making decisions based on what they would believe is best for themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: Txhorns10

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 War Movies...

I've got a pretty controversial hot take to lead off this week's section, as I watched The Great Escape for the first time this weekend.

Overall ... meh.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy parts of it, but I am saying it was really long and didn't completely hold up as a great movie to me nearly 60 years after its release. That the story was based on a real story, but wasn't remotely accurate to what happened also didn't do the film any favors.

Therefore, let me give you my 10 favorite war movies

10. Apocalypse Now
9. Platoon
8. Schindler's List
7. Braveheart
6. The Deer Hunter
5. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
4. Full Metal Jacket
3. The Bridge on the River Kwai
2. Saving Private Ryan
1. Patton
Interesting list. Nothing from the Civil War makes the cut?

The Outlaw Josie Wales would be a worthy addition. If I'm not mistaken, Clint made that as a commentary on the Vietnam war, and the treatment soldiers received after returning home. Plus, it has Clint being Clint.

Four Vietnam flicks?

No Das Boot?

(Buy) I just don't see Worthy coming back to Texas with the quarterback situation being such a question mark going into next season. It's his contract year he'll have options and he's likely going to want something a little less risky.
So Ewers cost us two games....likely (barring a miracle by KU on Saturday vs KSU) cost us a chance to play for the Big 12 Championship.....and now your crystal ball predicts he's going to also cost us Xavier Worthy as well?

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

Interesting list. Nothing from the Civil War makes the cut?

The Outlaw Josie Wales would be a worthy addition. If I'm not mistaken, Clint made that as a commentary on the Vietnam war, and the treatment soldiers received after returning home. Plus, it has Clint being Clint.

Four Vietnam flicks?

No Das Boot?
Glory was very, very close to making it.

Reactions: darrenj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT