ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Let's just keep it real about Bama...)

Just a little tid-bit about Cedric Baxter's game, The Don Bosco Prep team he ran all over is the #1 ranked team in NJ this year+always very good with multiple div. 1 recruits. Sure hope we hold onto his commitment.

Karic was wearing number 92 when Banks went down. The trainers were frantically trying to change his jersey back to 69, but it was a struggle. That’s why Conner went in versus Karic.
My question is why was Karic originally wearing 92…is he also listed as a defensive lineman? 🤔
I'll see what I can learn.

Reactions: TexasGrad83
To be fair, you didn't have one thought or one half of one about the things I did write about. That being said, my bad.

I get it: you can’t be perfect. But bc you’re great, I grade accordingly. It’s not fair of me, I suppose, but it would be nice in the future to hear something about the best damned VB team in college who (in 8 days) beat #7 twice, thumped #4, and swept #12 in their own backyard

I get it: you can’t be perfect. But bc you’re great, I grade accordingly. It’s not fair of me, I suppose, but it would be nice in the future to hear something about the best damned VB team in college who (in 8 days) beat #7 twice, thumped #4, and swept #12 in their own backyard
I meant to write a note about them. I truly did. I'm fully aware that they have rolled great competition and only been pushed to four games in the process in any match. I just forgot to include it when Jason sent the column back to me.

Believe me, I know they should have been mentioned.

Reactions: 4th&5FromThe8
I meant to write a note about them. I truly did. I'm fully aware that they have rolled great competition and only been pushed to four games in the process in any match. I just forgot to include it when Jason sent the column back to me.

Believe me, I know they should have been mentioned.
I’m not saying this has anything to do with your omission, but Elliott has the program in a mode where it’s almost like an afterthought that they are so good. It’s like we all just expect them to be number 1 so it’s not news when they just keep winning. He’s got them in a place of winning greater than what even Mack did. The only thing worse is probably Eddie Reese. It’s like oh he won another national title, cool. We find ourselves taking it for granted sometimes unknowingly.

That wasn't Irvin's breakout game. He was a monster the entire 1991 season.

His breakout games occurred when he returned from his knee injury in 1990.

That Washington game was part of a massive stretch of football that Irvin played that year, though. He was even better the next week against Rod Woodson on Thanksgiving.

You are bizarrely wrong always on this subject. Gladly find me Irvin’s “breakout game” in ‘ 90, a season in which he caught a whopping 20 passes for a whopping 400 yds. For his 3 seasons, Irvin was generally considered a bit of an underachieving first rd pick having totaled less than 80 rec for less than 1500 yds.
Prior to that November ‘91 game Irvin had 3 games where he went over 100 yds but in the 3 games immediately before the game at RFK he was pretty ineffective totaling just 14 catches for 180 yds.

So going into RFK in ‘91, Irvin had yet to become The Playmaker. Aikman had not fully established himself. And Jimmy and Jerrah were in year 3, with no postseason made, and in danger of missing them again as they were scuffling along at 6-5. The game in RFK was not only Irvin’s breakout game, but was literally the breakout game for the regime that would become Da’ Boys. Irvin worked over Green for 9 rec, 130 yds and a TD in Dallas’ upset. The win was the first of a five game win streak to close the season propel Dallas to the playoffs. And in those last 5 games, Irvin totaled 37 catches for 650 yds and 4 TDs, en route to his first pro bowl.

To further your education

I’m right you’re wrong

The lesson is free of charge

Reactions: cooleyo
Great column!

And hopefully we’ve heard the last of the carping about why isn’t JT playing defense.
I get that but if you watched the kid play defense on that Denton team he was very impressive and was really seen as a DL that was simply athletic enough to line up at the tight end position.

I always like toi see kids that have dreams and then are willing to fight and sacrifice to achieve dreams particularly when a majority of people are telling them that they have lost their minds.

And I think we all have to admit the kid looks damn good and has great hands. It would be nice to see him have a huge game against Bama and great season overall.

* As a player that was praised throughout the off-season, it came as a little shocking that starting Mike linebacker Jaylan Ford didn't show up at all in the defensive stat sheet, while 33 other Longhorns defensive players did. How is that possible? His play on Saturday and the uncertainty of it is one of the few flashing red lights I have for this Texas defense next week. Your starting middle linebacker simply can't be that invisible.

major-league.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ketchum
* Kelvin Banks should have remained as a 5-star by Rivals. Period.

‘member when you died on that Rivals hill? OB ‘members. Honestly back THEN it was stupid to suggest Banks struggled in the game.

I get that but if you watched the kid play defense on that Denton team he was very impressive and was really seen as a DL that was simply athletic enough to line up at the tight end position.

I always like toi see kids that have dreams and then are willing to fight and sacrifice to achieve dreams particularly when a majority of people are telling them that they have lost their minds.

And I think we all have to admit the kid looks damn good and has great hands. It would be nice to see him have a huge game against Bama and great season overall.
Would he be a good DE? Probably.

But the posters insisting that the coaches force him to play a position he doesn’t want to play don’t understand those days are long gone.

But the posters insisting that the coaches force him to play a position he doesn’t want to play don’t understand those days are long gone.
Nobody said force him and I understand what you are saying. He was focused on by every major program as a future big-time contributor on the DL.

All the opinions wanting him to be on the DL are simply based on the needs of the team and a little selfish. Clearly the kid is a really good tight end and will have a huge year.

He is good enough to justify his desire to play tight end. A lot of kids, most kids, that want to play a position other than the primary position they were recruited to play simply are not good enough to play the position they prefer over the position they were recruited to play. Congrats to him..!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SarkAfterDark
You are bizarrely wrong always on this subject. Gladly find me Irvin’s “breakout game” in ‘ 90, a season in which he caught a whopping 20 passes for a whopping 400 yds. For his 3 seasons, Irvin was generally considered a bit of an underachieving first rd pick having totaled less than 80 rec for less than 1500 yds.
Prior to that November ‘91 game Irvin had 3 games where he went over 100 yds but in the 3 games immediately before the game at RFK he was pretty ineffective totaling just 14 catches for 180 yds.

So going into RFK in ‘91, Irvin had yet to become The Playmaker. Aikman had not fully established himself. And Jimmy and Jerrah were in year 3, with no postseason made, and in danger of missing them again as they were scuffling along at 6-5. The game in RFK was not only Irvin’s breakout game, but was literally the breakout game for the regime that would become Da’ Boys. Irvin worked over Green for 9 rec, 130 yds and a TD in Dallas’ upset. The win was the first of a five game win streak to close the season propel Dallas to the playoffs. And in those last 5 games, Irvin totaled 37 catches for 650 yds and 4 TDs, en route to his first pro bowl.

To further your education

I’m right you’re wrong

The lesson is free of charge
a. You're right about the 1990 game. I remember him catching a touchdown in that Thanksgiving game and made it out to be a bigger moment tan it was in my head.

b. Irvin was on pace for nearly 1,300 yards in 1992 BEFORE the Washington game in week 12. He had always ready gone for 123 against Cleveland, 148 against Cincinnati and 143 against Detroit. The breakout was already underway before the Washington game.

The thing that Washington game did was kickstart one of the best stretches of Irvin's career. With Steve Beurlein filling in, he had a 5-game stretch that saw him catch 38 passes for 649 yards and 4 touchdowns.

I had forgotten that his Washington performance (9 for 130 and 1 TD) because four days later he pistol-whipped Rod Woodson for 8 for 157, which included a game-clinching 66-yard touchdown reception.

‘member when you died on that Rivals hill? OB ‘members. Honestly back THEN it was stupid to suggest Banks struggled in the game.
Remember when I kept Banks as a 5 star in my rankings?

I do.

I simply said I understood why Rivals made the decision that they did.

correct.

The kid is playing where he wants to play and if Texas tried to force it on him, he'd just leave.

Reactions: SarkAfterDark
a. You're right about the 1990 game. I remember him catching a touchdown in that Thanksgiving game and made it out to be a bigger moment tan it was in my head.

b. Irvin was on pace for nearly 1,300 yards in 1992 BEFORE the Washington game in week 12. He had always ready gone for 123 against Cleveland, 148 against Cincinnati and 143 against Detroit. The breakout was already underway before the Washington game.

The thing that Washington game did was kickstart one of the best stretches of Irvin's career. With Steve Beurlein filling in, he had a 5-game stretch that saw him catch 38 passes for 649 yards and 4 touchdowns.

I had forgotten that his Washington performance (9 for 130 and 1 TD) because four days later he pistol-whipped Rod Woodson for 8 for 157, which included a game-clinching 66-yard touchdown reception.

Don’t make this difficult. Washington was undefeated and Green was on his way to a HOF career. Irvin to that point 3.75 seasons into a career had shown only glimpses. He worked over Green BADLY that day and that put him on the path to what eventually became a HOF career. Literally his career AND the Jimmy/Jerrah era changed that day. It’s okay to admit “you know, you’re right.” I assume you didn’t read the link I posted

Remember when I kept Banks as a 5 star in my rankings?

I do.

I simply said I understood why Rivals made the decision that they did.

So you “understood” their thinking even though it included the stupid notion that he didn’t play well that game?

Don’t make this difficult. Washington was undefeated and Green was on his way to a HOF career. Irvin to that point 3.75 seasons into a career had shown only glimpses. He worked over Green BADLY that day and that put him on the path to what eventually became a HOF career. Literally his career AND the Jimmy/Jerrah era changed that day. It’s okay to admit “you know, you’re right.” I assume you didn’t read the link I posted
I mean... he caught almost 100 yards and had the game winning touchdown at home against a Giants team that had won the Super Bowl the previous season and dominated the Cowboys for the previous three seasons.... and that was week 5.

He had already broken out by week 12. It's not difficult.

So you “understood” their thinking even though it included the stupid notion that he didn’t play well that game?
Correct.

It's called nuance. You can understand someone else's position without agreeing with them.

For instance, I understand what you are saying about Irvin against Washington in week 12 of the 1991 season, even if I don't completely agree.

1662409206547.png

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rookie97
I mean... he caught almost 100 yards and had the game winning touchdown at home against a Giants team that had won the Super Bowl the previous season and dominated the Cowboys for the previous three seasons.... and that was week 5.

He had already broken out by week 12. It's not difficult.

You didn’t read the article did you? It’s ok. Also not sure you understand the phrase breakout game. BTW, do you who the Giants HC was that season and their record at the time? Odd hill for you to die on. But not surprising.

Correct.

It's called nuance. You can understand someone else's position without agreeing with them.

For instance, I understand what you are saying about Irvin against Washington in week 12 of the 1991 season, even if I don't completely agree.

View attachment 3174

;)

Well, that makes two oddball points. Personally if someone’s “argument” is nonsensical it doesn’t take nuance to know it’s nonsensical. Which is why both of yours are nonsensical.

You didn’t read the article did you? It’s ok. Also not sure you understand the phrase breakout game. BTW, do you who the Giants HC was that season and their record at the time? Odd hill for you to die on. But not surprising.
I did read the article.

I know that he had three games that were statistically equal or better than that before that game.

Also, you have to know that beating the Giants was a bigger deal in week 5 than anything else that happened that season. Dallas always played Washington well.

Hell, he caught 6 for 149 and 3 TD against Green as a rookie when Dallas nearly cost itself a chance to land Aikman when they beat Washington 24-17 behind his 3 TD in the second to last game of the season.

We just disagree on the notion of his "breakout".

Well, that makes two oddball points. Personally if someone’s “argument” is nonsensical it doesn’t take nuance to know it’s nonsensical. Which is why both of yours are nonsensical.
k.

Last week it was Kevin Durant.

This week it's Michael Irvin's 1991 season.

This thread is always something else.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I did read the article.

I know that he had three games that were statistically equal or better than that before that game.

Also, you have to know that beating the Giants was a bigger deal in week 5 than anything else that happened that season. Dallas always played Washington well.

Hell, he caught 6 for 149 and 3 TD against Green as a rookie when Dallas nearly cost itself a chance to land Aikman when they beat Washington 24-17 behind his 3 TD in the second to last game of the season.

We just disagree on the notion of his "breakout".

Lol. You think a home win in game 5 was bigger than a road W at unbeaten Wash with their playoff hopes hanging on by a thread?

Uhhh, you might want to read up on that ‘88 game. Specifically how Green missed most of it after breaking his hand. Lol

Lol. You think a home win in game 5 was bigger than a road W at unbeaten Wash with their playoff hopes hanging on by a thread?

Uhhh, you might want to read up on that ‘88 game. Specifically how Green missed most of it after breaking his hand. Lol

Yes.

It was a major marker moment in that season. The Giants had owned Dallas in recent years... just dominated them.

Dallas gave up 10 fourth quarter points to fall behind in the game. They get the ball back and go 80+ yards on the final drive with Irvin making two monster plays against the defending champs, including the game winning touchdown, as he throws a defender off of him to get to the end zone.

The bottom line is that Irvin had already broken out before week 12 of that season. But, sure, dig in.

p.s. Green started in the 1988 game when Irvin went off... broken hand or not.

Boxscore

Last week it was Kevin Durant.

This week it's Michael Irvin's 1991 season.

This thread is always something else.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
You called?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT