ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Let's talk about the burnt orange anxiety disorder...)

No. 8 – My life as an NFL fan has changed forever…

Please, don't ask for any commentary. As bad as the last two decades have been as a Dallas Cowboys fan, I've always been able to take solace in the fact that no matter how bad life has been as a fan of a team Jerry Jones owns, the Philadelphia Eagles had never won a Super Bowl.

It's one of the few things as a sports fan I took gigantic glee in.

That truth is no longer a truth.

I'm not ready to talk about it. I'm going to be in denial for a while.
The fact that you took solace as a Cowboy fan in that the Eagles haven't won a Super Bowl is equivalent to A&M rooting for the rest of the SEC because they can't win anything.

Hey @Ketchum not sure what you're talking about...I love, love, love the Story Time with Uncle Ketch...so keep those bad boys coming! For those of us OB'ers who have been around for a while to remember when those rumors and stories were happening but as much as we think we know...we don't even know what we don't know...so keep the stories coming..and feel free to use names and call out people...we don't mind!

Reactions: Ketchum
My boxer I got in 2001 saw the signing of Vince Young, a couple big 12 championship,and a national championship. He died of a brain tumor in the middle of 2009 championship game since then the Horns have been very average. I just got Zeke my new boxer January 5 2018 I’m ready for 10 years of big time wins.

@Ketchum i’m posting here because I know you are paying attention to this thread. I sent you a pm and email about getting charged for the Red Raiders site again, I am sure you have been busy as hell so not trying to bother just hoping it can be taken care of again. I can’t get through to anyone at Rivals. Thanks!

My boxer I got in 2001 saw the signing of Vince Young, a couple big 12 championship,and a national championship. He died of a brain tumor in the middle of 2009 championship game since then the Horns have been very average. I just got Zeke my new boxer January 5 2018 I’m ready for 10 years of big time wins.

Boxers are the goat dogs...come on Zeke, take us to some ‘ships!

The fact that you took solace as a Cowboy fan in that the Eagles haven't won a Super Bowl is equivalent to A&M rooting for the rest of the SEC because they can't win anything.
Being a Cowboys fan is very Aggyish these days. Difference is I have lived through a number of championship seasons and they have not.

Reactions: cordpetee
amen

@Ketchum i’m posting here because I know you are paying attention to this thread. I sent you a pm and email about getting charged for the Red Raiders site again, I am sure you have been busy as hell so not trying to bother just hoping it can be taken care of again. I can’t get through to anyone at Rivals. Thanks!
I'll get it handled today and send you a PM to confirm.

Reactions: podo87
So much of what you said about the lost belief of fans rings true to me. I can tell you all the games that made me believe that Texas was always going to win when a game was in a situation where it could go either way:

Football: 1998 Nebraska, 1998 A&M, 1999 Nebraska (in Austin), 2002 KState, 2003 KState, 2004 Okie St, 2004 Kansas, 2004 Michigan, 2005 Ohio St, 2005 Okie St, 2005 USC, 2006 Nebraska, 2007 Nebraska, 2007 Okie St, 2008 Oklahoma, 2008 Ohio St, and 2009 Nebraska. Hell even the A&M game in 2011 wasn't too far removed to carry that feeling out of that game.

I can add in a couple specific baseball and basketball games too: Baseball 2002 vs Rice in Omaha (the Quintanilla play from 3rd base) and 2005 vs Baylor in the Chance Wheeless/Kirk Gibson game. In basketball I think of the Kenton Paulino shot to beat West Virginia in 2006, Brandon Mouton hitting a 3 to beat Tech in 2004, and PJ Tucker hitting the buzzer beater against Providence in 2004.

The feeling you are talking about in the Rose Bowl in 2005 and in 2009, that feeling was earned through lots and lots and lots of winning. The feeling of anxiety lately, well that was also earned through lots and lots of losing. Thinking about the games that make me personally feel like Texas is cursed and living in a nightmare... 2011/2012 OU blowouts, 2014 UCLA (the coin flip), 2014 OU, 2015 Cal (PAT miss), 2015 Okie St (bobbled punt snap), 2015 Tech, 2016 Cal, 2016 Kansas, 2017 USC (OT turnover #1), 2017 OU, 2017 Okie St (OT turnover #2), and 2017 Tech (3rd and 2). For basketball this year alone you can add Duke, Okie St, and Tech. Then you add in the Northern Iowa game two years ago in the tourney, that may have been the worst gut punch of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangelightningbolt
My question?

"Tom, can you please discuss what you believe the addition of Herb Hand will bring to the offense, especially on game days, and can you discuss the overall state of your offensive coaching staff and the hierarchy within. Please feel free to include what role you believe you'll play as well."

So what's your question?

So much of what you said about the lost belief of fans rings true to me. I can tell you all the games that made me believe that Texas was always going to win when a game was in a situation where it could go either way:

Football: 1998 Nebraska, 1998 A&M, 1999 Nebraska (in Austin), 2002 KState, 2003 KState, 2004 Okie St, 2004 Kansas, 2004 Michigan, 2005 Ohio St, 2005 Okie St, 2005 USC, 2006 Nebraska, 2007 Nebraska, 2007 Okie St, 2008 Oklahoma, 2008 Ohio St, and 2009 Nebraska. Hell even the A&M game in 2011 wasn't too far removed to carry that feeling out of that game.

I can add in a couple specific baseball and basketball games too: Baseball 2002 vs Rice in Omaha (the Quintanilla play from 3rd base) and 2005 vs Baylor in the Chance Wheeless/Kirk Gibson game. In basketball I think of the Kenton Paulino shot to beat West Virginia in 2006, Brandon Mouton hitting a 3 to beat Tech in 2004, and PJ Tucker hitting the buzzer beater against Providence in 2004.

The feeling you are talking about in the Rose Bowl in 2005 and in 2009, that feeling was earned through lots and lots and lots of winning. The feeling of anxiety lately, well that was also earned through lots and lots of losing. Thinking about the games that make me personally feel like Texas is cursed and living in a nightmare... 2011/2012 OU blowouts, 2014 UCLA (the coin flip), 2014 OU, 2015 Cal (PAT miss), 2015 Okie St (bobbled punt snap), 2015 Tech, 2016 Cal, 2016 Kansas, 2017 USC (OT turnover #1), 2017 OU, 2017 Okie St (OT turnover #2), and 2017 Tech (3rd and 2). For basketball this year alone you can add Duke, Okie St, and Tech.
This post makes me sad.

As a lifelong Boston/New England Patriots fan, I really thought TB was going to pull it out at the end, and my fear was that the Pats would score too soon and allow the Eagles to win the game. When I close my eyes all I can see is the fumble. That said, good for Philly. I have several friends who are Eagles fans, and they played outstanding football. Kudos to the coaching staff and their game calling that Foles operationalized perfectly. I knew the Pats DL would struggle getting pressure, but the OL was simply brilliant all game long. Missed FG and EP hurt, but less than the play or Foles et al. Here's to SB LIII and a Pats win a year from now. But a year older, and maybe we're seeing the end of the dynasty *sniff*. Been quite a run, and the Eagles may be the next one up.

I hope you are right about Wednesday. I'll take that class in a heartbeat.

Agree 100% on Coleman. Take away a 1-min stretch in Lubbock, and he's played extremely well for awhile now. Proud of the way he and the team took care of business on Saturday, and I agree that Wednesday is yet another "must win" (seems like we're saying that a lot this year).

Hook 'em!!!

Wait if Gary is the MLB who plays rover? Orlando had two ILB on the last year. Gary and MJ, so whoa re the two this year.

Being a Cowboys fan is very Aggyish these days. Difference is I have lived through a number of championship seasons and they have not.

It is possible to be a "good" fan of perennial mediocre teams. Just because your team is not good, doesn't mean you have to act like an Aggy.

No guesses.

Hint: It was not Kasey Studdard.

Name escapes me but I would say the big time recruit that said he got left on 6th while on his visit. I think he was a Samoan Mormon - offensive tackle or guard. Trashed everything about UT after visit.

"All of that moxie is mostly gone and you can feel it in every game these days, regardless of the sport, both on the message boards and in the arena."

I thought it was back the entire time from the hiring of Herman to the coin toss of the Maryland game.

As a lifelong Boston/New England Patriots fan, I really thought TB was going to pull it out at the end, and my fear was that the Pats would score too soon and allow the Eagles to win the game. When I close my eyes all I can see is the fumble. That said, good for Philly. I have several friends who are Eagles fans, and they played outstanding football. Kudos to the coaching staff and their game calling that Foles operationalized perfectly. I knew the Pats DL would struggle getting pressure, but the OL was simply brilliant all game long. Missed FG and EP hurt, but less than the play or Foles et al. Here's to SB LIII and a Pats win a year from now. But a year older, and maybe we're seeing the end of the dynasty *sniff*. Been quite a run, and the Eagles may be the next one up.

I hope you are right about Wednesday. I'll take that class in a heartbeat.

Agree 100% on Coleman. Take away a 1-min stretch in Lubbock, and he's played extremely well for awhile now. Proud of the way he and the team took care of business on Saturday, and I agree that Wednesday is yet another "must win" (seems like we're saying that a lot this year).

Hook 'em!!!
I haven't had the heart to text my friend who is a big Pats fan. I'm just going to leave him alone.

Wait if Gary is the MLB who plays rover? Orlando had two ILB on the last year. Gary and MJ, so whoa re the two this year.
I keep waiting for McCulloch to be a guy that has to be on the field all the time.

Name escapes me but I would say the big time recruit that said he got left on 6th while on his visit. I think he was a Samoan Mormon - offensive tackle or guard. Trashed everything about UT after visit.

@ketch said it was a "young Texas player" so I can assume that meant someone that was already on the roster. It's why I said Tillman Holloway because he fit the bill.

@ketch said it was a "young Texas player" so I can assume that meant someone that was already on the roster. It's why I said Tillman Holloway because he fit the bill.

You are right, I missed that.

The Coleman dogpile was a great illustration of just how little most of the football fans on this board understand about basketball. That kid is having a great freshman campaign but he is a freshman, playing in the best conference in the country, against seasoned veterans. Throw in that he is your PG which means he is the focal point of every possession. Yes, he will make mistakes and fall short. But he doesn't repeat his mistakes and is going to great. Not good, great.

That's not self-loathing, it's self-aware. I don't care what your orientation is, I don't want to hear about your sexual escapades in the workplace and I don't want to see you making out in public. That's just not decent behavior, and I know that gay folks are just as capable of common decency as anyone else. Not saying the couple in question were crossing any lines, but I can see being a little uncomfortable about it.

Do you hold hands with your wife/ girlfriend in public? Serious question.

Hell, they weren't even kissing.

Do you hold hands with your wife/ girlfriend in public? Serious question.

Hell, they weren't even kissing.
I was not condemning the hand holding, just assuring our fellow OB'er that if PDA makes him a little uncomfortable, that doesn't make him self-loathing. The fact that he and the couple in question are both gay is irrelevant, in my opinion.

And yes, I do occasionally hold my wife's hand in public, but I try not to make a big show of it.

I was not condemning the hand holding, just assuring our fellow OB'er that if PDA makes him a little uncomfortable, that doesn't make him self-loathing. The fact that he and the couple in question are both gay is irrelevant, in my opinion.

And yes, I do occasionally hold my wife's hand in public, but I try not to make a big show of it.
I'm not really sure what the point of his sharing that story was, but I can assure you he didn't post it because he thinks he's self-loathing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT