ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Nipping this weekend's hypocrisy in the bud...)

I would also contend that if I had done what CS is suggesting occurred, it wouldn't have taken until page three, 100+ posts into the thread for it to become a talking point, not when a single typo will be pointed out 10 times in a 45-second span.

Do you think Texas can consistently compete for national titles with 1 or 2 NFL draft picks every year? Yes or no?

I doubt it. But we haven't been living in the world of national championships in a while and have to get there gradually, if we ever get there again, and without Alabama-like talent. Talent outside of the draft still matters, and will even if we do somehow get back to the mountaintop. You always can use players like Poona Ford, LJ Humphrey, and Gary Johnson, even when you're in contention for the national title.

Reactions: txfight
There's just very little reason to believe in the 2019 group IMO.

Malcolm Roach: 2018: Had five tackles in the Big 12 Championship Game against Oklahoma. Had four tackles in the 28-21 win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I believe Malcolm Roach is only now coming into his own and will continue to progress in 2019. He has an opportunity to play himself into being drafted into the NFL in the 2020 draft. IMO. He has a good frame and good speed and strength.

Keondre Coburn: 2018: Only a true freshman, I know he only made 1 tackle in the Horns 28-21 win over Georgia in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. At 6'2" #340 he has prototypical 3-2-6 NT size and run-stopping ability. IMO. As a true freshman in 2018 his technique will likely continue to develop in 2019, he may become a penetrator.

Gerald Wilbon: Like Coburn, at 6'3" #335 he has great size at NT, he too only made 1 tackle in the Sugar Bowl, but the NTs were rotating in and out and Georgia was behind and passing a significant percentage of the time. He'll be a Senior like Roach with aspirations of playing himself into NFL draft position.

Moro Ojomo: At 6'2" #285 I like his size to contribute at SDE in his Sophomore season. I'm not holding his youth against him for contributing in 2019.

I get your take that the 2019 DL, at this point in the season, isn't loaded with proven play-makers. I'm not persuaded the 2018 group was far ahead of the 2019 group (in aggregate, and at the same point in the season) with proven play-makers/heavy hitters/high draft position players. I may be wrong.

Certainly Texas fans had high hopes for Charles Omenihu and Co., but it's not like Charles' 3 tackles (1.5 TFL) with a sack in the Big 12 Championship Game against Oklahoma, and 2 tackles for loss in the 28-21 win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, are impossible to imagine replacing.

JMOs. Thanks for the conversation.

MajorFondCat-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Topcat79 and rtex63
... Kawhi Leonard needs to chill the hell out or my Sixers ain't gonna make it through five games.

This feels like a good time to remind you that 9 short months ago, the Sixers quite possibly could have traded a package of players centered around Markelle Fultz for Kawhi Leonard. You might be able to sleep at night talking yourself into the idea that the Spurs wouldn't have traded Kawhi for Fultz because their acquisition of DeRozan tells you the Spurs were still in win-now mode and not build for the future mode.

Either way, the Sixers made the announcement while Kawhi was still available that "Markelle Fultz is off-limits in any trade discussions with Kawhi."

Malcolm Roach: 2018: Had five tackles in the Big 12 Championship Game against Oklahoma. Had four tackles in the 28-21 win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I believe Malcolm Roach is only now coming into his own and will continue to progress in 2019. He has an opportunity to play himself into being drafted into the NFL in the 2020 draft. IMO. He has a good frame and good speed and strength.

Keondre Coburn: 2018: Only a true freshman, I know he only made 1 tackle in the Horns 28-21 win over Georgia in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. At 6'2" #340 he has prototypical 3-2-6 NT size and run-stopping ability. IMO. As a true freshman in 2018 his technique will likely continue to develop in 2019, he may become a penetrator.

Gerald Wilbon: Like Coburn, at 6'3" #335 he has great size at NT, he too only made 1 tackle in the Sugar Bowl, but the NTs were rotating in and out and Georgia was behind and passing a significant percentage of the time. He'll be a Senior like Roach with aspirations of playing himself into NFL draft position.

Moro Ojomo: At 6'2" #285 I like his size to contribute at SDE in his Sophomore season. I'm not holding his youth against him for contributing in 2019.

I get your take that the 2019 DL, at this point in the season, isn't loaded with proven play-makers. I'm not persuaded the 2018 group was far ahead of the 2019 group (in aggregate, and at the same point in the season) with proven play-makers/heavy hitters/high draft position players. I may be wrong.

Certainly Texas fans had high hopes for Charles Omenihu and Co., but it's not like Charles' 3 tackles (1.5 TFL) with a sack in the Big 12 Championship Game against Oklahoma, and 2 tackles for loss in the 28-21 win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, are impossible to imagine replacing.

JMOs. Thanks for the conversation.

MajorFondCat-size_restricted.gif

Good discussion. Thanks for the good post. A few thoughts.

* I've always been #TeamMalcolm. I thought he was going to be a superstar as a sophomore under Orlando. The fact of the matter is that he's not been able to be a plus player under Orlando with his hand on the ground. It has to be done this year and there are fewer sure things there than I think some want to confess to.

* Coburn is the guy that has a chance to be a definite positional upgrade gain in the line-up IMO. It does seem like he's going to be more of a 25-30 snaps per game than a 40-45 snaps per game.

* Nelson wasn't as good as Poona and Wilbon isn't better than Nelson. He's just a decent little player.

* I expect Ojomo to contribute this season.

Texas doesn't have anyone to properly replace Omenihu, who absolutely was an impactful player. That matters.

I'm not as concerned about when we have our next first round pick as I am reversing the trend of our general draft draught. Can we make that happen in April 2020?

Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, Parker Braun and Malcolm Roach seem to be the best options. Can we get a 2nd and 3rd round pick at least from this group or is that really asking too much?

Good discussion. Thanks for the good post. A few thoughts.

* I've always been #TeamMalcolm. I thought he was going to be a superstar as a sophomore under Orlando. The fact of the matter is that he's not been able to be a plus player under Orlando with his hand on the ground. It has to be done this year and there are fewer sure things there than I think some want to confess to.

* Coburn is the guy that has a chance to be a definite positional upgrade gain in the line-up IMO. It does seem like he's going to be more of a 25-30 snaps per game than a 40-45 snaps per game.

* Nelson wasn't as good as Poona and Wilbon isn't better than Nelson. He's just a decent little player.

* I expect Ojomo to contribute this season.

Texas doesn't have anyone to properly replace Omenihu, who absolutely was an impactful player. That matters.

I respect your take.

I'll conclude by saying I will NOT be shocked if Malcolm Roach has as good (or better) a season in 2019 as Charles O. had in 2018. I think Malcolm Roach still has that superstar potential. I've always been a big fan of Charles, (and still am).

I think Coburn has the potential this season to be better than Nelson in 2018. Wilbon isn't better than Nelson yet, but he may play as well in 2019. IMO.

Ojomo may have a very high ceiling. It's too early to assess how impactful he will be in 2019, but don't assume he won't emerge and surprise you.

Great exchange. Nothing like football talk in April.

PhysicalFoolhardyHalicore-size_restricted.gif

Hook'em Horns!

Reactions: rtex63
BUY or SELL: Texas has a 1st Round draft pick next year?

(Sell) Not unless Sam has a monster season and goes pro.

Disagree. Brandon Jones will go in the First Round next year after playing lights out in his senior year.

The dude has all the tools and knows the position really well now. He's going to fly around.

Reactions: whitenoize
BUY or SELL: Other than on Thanksgiving, turkey meat doesn't excite you?

(Sell) I l-o-v-e smoked turkey. I search all over town for the places that do it the best.

The Pit BBQ on Burnet Rd will smoke your turkey for a nominal fee---take the whole thing home--could be the best in Austin.

My go to place for smoked turkey is Meyers BBQ in Elgin.

I am an LJH fan, wanted him to stay, am disappointed he wasn't drafted, and wish him well in NO. Am actually optimistic he will make the team. However, with the benefit of hindsight, it may be best he moved on because we are going to have great difficulty in allocating playing time among all the gifted WRs remaining. Very, very fearful that someone like Epps, Bru or Smith might wind up in the portal!

Reactions: whitenoize
I doubt it. But we haven't been living in the world of national championships in a while and have to get there gradually, if we ever get there again, and without Alabama-like talent. Talent outside of the draft still matters, and will even if we do somehow get back to the mountaintop. You always can use players like Poona Ford, LJ Humphrey, and Gary Johnson, even when you're in contention for the national title.

Exactly...praising the job Herman has done so far, and recognizing the need for elite talent are not mutually exclusive. If we want to be in the playoff discussion consistently, we have to recruit more elite athletes. They don't all have to be first rounders, but the more players you have drafted...then the more better players you have recruited/played...

The '19 class (and this '20 class) will be a major step towards getting us back to where we need to be talent-wise.

Reactions: SmilinJack
My go to place for smoked turkey is Meyers BBQ in Elgin.

I am an LJH fan, wanted him to stay, am disappointed he wasn't drafted, and wish him well in NO. Am actually optimistic he will make the team. However, with the benefit of hindsight, it may be best he moved on because we are going to have great difficulty in allocating playing time among all the gifted WRs remaining. Very, very fearful that someone like Epps, Bru or Smith might wind up in the portal!

I get what you're saying, but you can't take 1100 receiving yards and a metric f-ton of grit out of the lineup and say it may be best. I'm super excited about the dudes coming in, but LJH was PROVEN HEART. We'd be better off with him and unfortunately, it turns out he'd have been better off if he stayed.

The whole "these guys should be getting paid argument" grates on me.

They are extremely well compensated for their time and talents. And it goes way beyond tuition and room/board compensation. Books, tutors and some of the best coaching and development you could ask for. And the ability to showcase your skills for the highest levels.

Do the NCAA and schools profit? Of course. But the "pay the players" crowd frames it like it's slave labor.

And let's not forget that nobody holds a gun to these kids heads and forces them to sign a scholarship offer. They can graduate HS and go play arena ball, or work out privately until they are ready for the NFL draft if they are so offended by what the colleges offer for scholarships.

Disagree. Brandon Jones will go in the First Round next year after playing lights out in his senior year.

The dude has all the tools and knows the position really well now. He's going to fly around.
Safeties typically have to be pretty incredible to go in round one.

Ketch, please stop saying that our football players are playing for free. That is an untrue statement. They are paid. Now, if you want to say you believe that they should be paid more than they are currently paid, that would be fine.
are we really going to go down that rabbit hole?

Exactly...praising the job Herman has done so far, and recognizing the need for elite talent are not mutually exclusive. If we want to be in the playoff discussion consistently, we have to recruit more elite athletes. They don't all have to be first rounders, but the more players you have drafted...then the more better players you have recruited/played...

The '19 class (and this '20 class) will be a major step towards getting us back to where we need to be talent-wise.
totally agree.

Lil Jordan would have received so much pub if he would have returned. I really hope he succeeds, but he sure made it harder on himself. What these kids need to realize is that the NFL is a cutthroat business. They don't give a rat's ass about marginal players. It is all about production.

BOGO is okay, usually, but I don't need 2 jackets. Half price would be better for most.

Can we get an interlocking UT patch?

Or an interlocking OB patch, with "Longhorns" across the back?

That defeats the Hail Mary strategy here.....basically selling at cost to move the inventory twice as fast.
I feel for OB Juan....he is sitting on a lot of inventory.

What is interesting to me is how varied the opinions are on the defensive line performance during the spring game. Ketch and Alex both thought that the defensive line starters had little to no impact. SBNation's Ian Boyd, on the other hand, said that Roach and Graham played at a very high level during the spring game and is very bullish on both. I tend to agree more with Ian on this point, but I guess we'll see come the fall.

Agree. He's a damn good college QB but i don't see him as pro. He's not an elite passer and he sure is not an elite runner.

I love the guy a as a UT QB, but i don't see him anywhere in the NFL.

I can name a half dozen QBs that I would prefer Sam over that had more than one year in the nfl.

Freakin aggy receiver tannehill?

As much as I like the kid, Jalen Hurts simply can't throw the ball well enough to really excel in Lincoln Riley's offense.

No way Sam leaves early. He's smart, well-advised, values a degree from Texas, and should have a thorough understanding of how few men actually make it as a QB in the NFL, regardless of how successful they were in college. Plenty of recent examples, a coupla Old School guys are Bret Stafford and Peter Gardere.

Sam is better than both and it isnt close.

LJH didn't get paid. In fact, he's in debt.

1. According to The Advocate, Humphrey didn't get a signing bonus as an undrafted free agent:

List will be updated as more names are confirmed.

Kenny Bigelow, DT, West Virginia
Carl Granderson, DE, Wyoming ($15k signing bonus, $70K base salary guaranteed, per source)
Ethan Greenidge, OT, Villanova
Chase Hansen, LB, Utah
Deonte Harris, Assumption, WR
Darnell Holland, RB, Kennesaw State
Corbin Kaufusi, DE, BYU
Lil' Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas
Derrick Kelly, OT, Florida State ($2K signing bonus, per source)
Nick Moore, LS, Georgia ($5K signing bonus, $10 K base salary guaranteed, per source)
Divine Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska
Jake Powell, TE, Monmouth ($1K signing bonus, per source)
Shy Tuttle, DL, Tennessee

Even if he did get a bonus and it wasn't listed, as you can see, only one person really gets paid as an UDFA.

2. He still owes his agent for any loans that were given to him. He also owes the people who trained him prior to the draft (strength coach, speed coach, etc.). That cost is usually between $15,000 and $25,000. If he rented a place while training, he owes that money, too.

3. If he makes the practice squad, he'll earn about $130,000 this year. Take away taxes, his agent's 3 percent fee, and repaying any debt accrued during training, loan to buy a car, etc, and the only way to get ahead is by hopefully making the 53-man roster to make $495,000 a year. In the meantime, he has to rent a place month-to-month because he can get cut any any moment. He'll likely need to have roommates.

If all goes well and he avoids an injury, LJH has the potential to get paid.

For now, he will earn $235 per week (before taxes) during offseason workouts.
Interesting information. Thanks.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT