ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (No need to drop the rope in recruiting)

No, for instance, Ja'Tavian Sanders won't impact the data in future years.
So you’re saying he won’t count because he was listed at a different position prior to arrival?

a. I think I have him undervalued in my current low four-star ranking.
b. I don't think he's a five-star prospect, which is what you're calling him.
c. I don't think he's 230 pounds.
d. he's not a bigger, better version of Harold Perkins.
Watching him at State Track Meet I’d say he’s around 220lbs and runs 10.8. Certainly looks the part.

Watching him at State Track Meet I’d say he’s around 220lbs and runs 10.8. Certainly looks the part.
I think he's closer to 215, especially during track season. Either way, he's still an edge tweener. Not so much so as a linebacker. He's kind of the perfect size that for position.

@SpaceCityWrangler

I wrote this six years ago.

"With the announcement this week that sophomore defensive end Derick Roberson was departing the Texas program, I find myself forced to admit that over the last few years I’ve noticed that over the course of the last 20 years that I’ve been producing rankings from the Lone Star State, there’s a type of prospect that I’ve been falling for the okey doke on time and time again.

Call if the “Lure of the Tweener Pass-Rusher”.

If you’re wondering what I’m talking about when it comes to tweeners at the defensive end position, I’m talking about the weak-side types that come in at 6-3 and under, while weighing no more than 225-240 pounds.

As it relates to Roberson, he was likely generously listed at 6-3, 225 pounds as a prospect according to Rivals.com, which fits the type of profile that has been failing way more than it succeeds at the highest college levels.

Take a look at the weak-side defensive ends from the Lone Star State since 2002 that fit under my definition of a "tweener."

2005: Paul Freeney (6-3, 229 pounds/Signed with A&M)
2005: McKinner Dixon (6-3, 240 pounds/Signed with Texas Tech)
2006: Eddie Jones (6-3, 240 pounds/Signed with Texas)
2007: Richetti Jones (6-3, 234 pounds/Signed with Oklahoma State)
2007: Russell Carter (6-3, 230 pounds/Signed with Texas)
2007: Von Miller (6-3, 210 pounds/Signed with Texas A&M)
2007: Levar Brown (6-3, 240 pounds/Signed with Arizona)
2008: Andrew Wolridge (6-2, 235 pounds/Signed with Texas A&M)
2010: Reggie Wilson (6-2, 240 pounds/Signed wqith Texas)
2013: Torrodney Prevot (6-3, 201 pounds/Signed with Oregon)
2014: Derick Roberson (6-3, 225 pounds/Signed with Texas)

That’s a Super Bowl MVP/potential Hall of Famer ... and a bunch of JAGs for the most part.

What’s most troubling to me is that Eddie Jones, Reggie Wilson and Roberson are essentially the same prospects -- and each time I fell in love with the speed, quickness and playmaking skills off the edge that can change games when you put it all together. However, all of that sexy athletic ability clouds the reality that these tweeners rarely work out, at least when it comes to evolving into a top-level college player.

Guys like Eddie Jones and Richetti Jones were solid college players, but neither was ever difference-makers and that’s what they were projected to be. Same with Freeney, Wilson and Roberson. We’re talking national top 50-100 level prospects.

Moving forward, I won’t fall for the okey doke of the tweener defensive end so easily."?
Are you ignoring that Sergio came in at 225 and played weakside DE essentially his last two years

@Ketchum , Very generically because each kid, position, potential upside is different how deep into the rivals 250 would you go before saying you're better off with a portal candidate?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT