ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Nobody puts Baby in the corner)

I tend to agree with that in theory.

But CDC doesn't get to just hire a top 10-15 college basketball coach in the world. He can only hire the best basketball coach who wants to coach for the University of Texas and who meets the character qualifications to work at Texas.

A lot if the very top guys are likely to fail one of those two criteria. I doubt if Self, Few, Cronin, Wright? Donovan?, are going to prefer Texas to the current jobs. Oats and Musselman just signed big extensions at their current places. Guys like Sean Miller has enough question marks in his past to fail the second criteria. Beard is maybe a top guy who failed here too. Even Oats looks fishy with his "wrong place at the wrong time" nonsense with regard to Brandon Miller.

It just means the talent is smaller to choose from to hire a real A+ guy.

No. 10 - The List: Patrick Swayze Top 10 ...

It's kind of shocking that I've never done a Swayze list when you consider that he's a Texas boy through and through.

While attending Houston Waltrip High School and San Jac CC, his Wikipedia page says "he pursued multiple artistic and athletic skills, such as ice skating, classical ballet, and acting in school plays. He also played football during high school, hoping to receive a football scholarship for college, until a knee injury ended his career. He concurrently practiced martial arts such as Wushu, Taekwondo, and Aikido, which he used to channel his ‘self-deprecating rage.’"

That man did everything.

Let's get to the list.

10. Donnie Darko

This movie has apparently turned into a cult classic, but I just remember being kind of "meh" about it when the movie came out. Do I need to revisit it?

9. North and South

This made-for-TV miniseries was a big deal when it was released in the mid-80s and I'm pretty sure it was my introduction to Swayze at the age of 10. It's the only thing I remember about it.

8. Youngblood

Swayze, Rob Lowe and a young Keanu Reeves (in his first movie) in a hockey movie? Yes, please.

7. 11:14

If you haven't seen it, give it a look. It's quietly the best under-the-radar movie that Swayze has ever done.

6. Red Dawn

Rocky IV might have ended the Cold War, but Swayze and a bunch of kids helped turn around World War III.

5. The Outsiders

As someone that really enjoyed the 1967 novel by the same name, this film holds a special place in my heart. Stay gold, Darrel Curtis.

4. Ghost

His only Academy Award-nominated/winning project.

3. Point Break

How did his portrayal of Bodhi not get nominated for an Academy Award? Total BS.

2. Road House

The most re-watchable cable TV movie of all-time.

1. Dirty Dancing

This probably a top-5 all-time movie for me. I've seen it hundreds of times. That is not an exaggeration.

giphy.gif
shocked you didn't mention Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything? Julie Newmar

I figured that one was right up your alley.

I refuse to believe that, but the circumstances have become the circumstances.
I mean who do you think would be willing to come here that’s a top 10ish coach? I’m genuinely asking , if it’s even within remotely being realistic to get anyone big time like that

I know we may not be privy to the back channels going on , but seems highly unlikely

I mean who do you think would be willing to come here that’s a top 10ish coach? I’m genuinely asking , if it’s even within remotely being realistic to get anyone big time like that

I know we may not be privy to the back channels going on , but seems highly unlikely
I wouldn't have a good answer to that without having access to the agents of said head coaches.

I think this is a very coveted job.

Reactions: TexasRads
I wouldn't have a good answer to that without having access to the agents of said head coaches.

Yeah I think it’s a good job, but didn’t think others would view it as a top 10 top of job.

To me football, is clearly a top 5 job

Basketball I’m not confident it’s even a top 10 tho

If you had a wish list of 5 coaches who would they be and in what order?
Maybe 10?

Let’s start with that and walk it down from there.

Thanks for the response, Ketch.

Here’s the deal for me - I’m not convinced there is an absolute sure-hire. Him and Tang both look similar to me - 1-2 years head coach but 20 prior years under really strong programs (one under a NC team, Baylor and the other on two-time runner up, Gonzaga).

I’m pretty torn on the decision as the what’s best for Texas likely is hiring someone with more chops but the human emotions part of me says Terry could be that same upside those two have but we could get at a cheaper price and not really more or less of a known quality…none really have skins on the wall.

And then looking at those with skins have their own issues.

I’m down for Terry with a shorter term deal, less up front and considerably more incentive-based. Give him a promo and an attaboy and hope and pray he’s what we all want him to be…and if not, go after Lloyd or Tang.

Younger (<50) and chip on shoulder is the guy if not Terry, imo.

Thanks for the response, Ketch.

Here’s the deal for me - I’m not convinced there is an absolute sure-hire. Him and Tang both look similar to me - 1-2 years head coach but 20 prior years under really strong programs (one under a NC team, Baylor and the other on two-time runner up, Gonzaga).

I’m pretty torn on the decision as the what’s best for Texas likely is hiring someone with more chops but the human emotions part of me says Terry could be that same upside those two have but we could get at a cheaper price and not really more or less of a known quality…none really have skins on the wall.

And then looking at those with skins have their own issues.

I’m down for Terry with a shorter term deal, less up front and considerably more incentive-based. Give him a promo and an attaboy and hope and pray he’s what we all want him to be…and if not, go after Lloyd or Tang.

Younger (<50) and chip on shoulder is the guy if not Terry, imo.
I don't disagree.

I wonder how much I'd like Terry if he'd just never had any head coaching experience at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT