ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Nothing but good vibes)

I don't have a great answer. They are doing the things on paper that needs to be done.
Should they look at bringing in a GM of the football team? May not help in state recruiting but would be helpful for the overall picture which can always be just that much better? Know you were a fan of the idea a few years ago, where are you now on it?

What word would you use to describe the in-state 2024 recruiting?

UNDERWHELMING

Micah Hudson, Justin Williams, Terry Bussey, JJA

Those 4 with Colin Simmons, Kobe Black, Xavier Filsaime would have been a monster in state haul.

atomic bomb explosion GIF

That's only about 1.5 per year. I would expect more, honestly.

Yes. I tend to think of them as overrated. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 IMG RBs we pursued in recent years, Sanders and Cain, who did little in college. Also the LB we got from there did nothing for us.

Reactions: thomasegiles
How are we looking with our roster numbers? It seems like we expect several more transfers out.

I think Trey Owens is going to be a diamond in the rough (The Texas version of Mac Jones for Sark)

Should they look at bringing in a GM of the football team? May not help in state recruiting but would be helpful for the overall picture which can always be just that much better? Know you were a fan of the idea a few years ago, where are you now on it?

I have long advocated for a GM with NFL front office experience.

That's just a ridiculous statement.
Really? Because 11-1 and a spot in the CFP says otherwise. Sark and co know what they’re doing. The narrative you bring up every month is old. The State of Texas just isn’t as important when you recruit nationally.

But, isn’t this the best results of any team in Texas? Maybe times have changed?
That's the kind of thing a fan says when the confirmation bias involved is so strong that they just say anything.

No one was saying this in 2022 when kicking ass in Texas meant signing the best OL class in school history.

lol. You think Sark really believes that?
I think Sark rates/values/recruits the same whether they are in state or out. But, honestly, you talk with more insiders and his associates than I ever will. I’ll defer that to you. Also, I respect your level of concern over this. You have repeatedly stated that it’s not a big deal in the overall scheme of things- just a fact. But, some have taken that seed and are now calling it a major weakness in Sark’s recruiting prowess. If he closes with a top 1 or 2 class, I, personally will consider that line of thinking just silly.

Reactions: Armadillo Slim
That's the kind of thing a fan says when the confirmation bias involved is so strong that they just say anything.

No one was saying this in 2022 when kicking ass in Texas meant signing the best OL class in school history.
In 2022 we were 8-4. In 2023 we are 12-1 and playing for a Natty. You’re just being silly for the sake of being silly.

I don’t disagree w you @Ketchum that there is room for improvement but I do think in the era of NIL it’s different. One school cannot afford all the local talent and keep the upperclassmen. Other schools, especially in the state of Texas where they all have money, will compete and the high school talent in state will spread out. That's why you spend some money in the portal/out of state and pick and choose the in state talent that has mutual interest and you can afford. Some in state schools will simply over pay to get one or two guys. Not sure that makes sense the way I wrote it but I’m not sure you are going to see schools dominate the in state talent like they could in the past.

In 2022 we were 8-4. In 2023 we are 12-1 and playing for a Natty. You’re just being silly for the sake of being silly.
You're the one that is objecting to the notion that Texas can merely do a little bit better in-state and that it would be of value to do so.

I don’t disagree w you @Ketchum that there is room for improvement but I do think in the era of NIL it’s different. One school cannot afford all the local talent and keep the upperclassmen. Other schools, especially in the state of Texas where they all have money, will compete and the high school talent in state will spread out. That's why you spend some money in the portal/out of state and pick and choose the in state talent that has mutual interest and you can afford. Some in state schools will simply over pay to get one or two guys. Not sure that makes sense the way I wrote it but I’m not sure you are going to see schools dominate the in state talent like they could in the past.
I'm not telling you it's the end all, be all.... just that it can be better.

I don't understand the need (not talking about you) to pretend like things couldn't have been better.

Reactions: Bham horn
You're the one that is objecting to the notion that Texas can merely do a little bit better in-state and that it would be of value to do so.
Well, we are doing better than everyone else, and overall recruiting results are excellent. I’m not sure whether I’m “objecting”, or I just think the line of thinking is both unnecessarily negative and irrelevant. If you want to put the word “objecting” in my mouth, have at it.

Reactions: Armadillo Slim
That has nothing to do with the conversation we're having.
The results have a lot to do with it. Sark and Co recruit what/who they need regardless of state. Some years you’ll see Texas go harder in state than others a la 2022 OL. Each cycle is different but the need to dominate Texas has diminished as this staff starts to go more National

Well, we are doing better than everyone else, and overall recruiting results are excellent. I’m not sure whether I’m “objecting”, or I just think the line of thinking is both unnecessarily negative and irrelevant. If you want to put the word “objecting” in my mouth, have at it.
It's not negative to talk about real things. It's called living in reality.

The reason I can tell you is that there's nothing negative about this is that there's nothing to quote an objection to.

The results have a lot to do with it.

No, they don't. How the team is doing on the field has very little to do with what is happening in-state reccruiting.

Honestly, this is just goofy discussion.

It's not negative to talk about real things. It's called living in reality.

The reason I can tell you is that there's nothing negative about this is that there's nothing to quote an objection to.
Some people’s reality is negative, some people’s reality is positive. I choose positive. To each his own. Enjoy your half empty glass.

Some people’s reality is negative, some people’s reality is positive. I choose positive. To each his own. Enjoy your half empty glass.
Except it's not half empty.

Only someone that needs something to be exactly one way would see the world in such a way.

Just as no one would be calling Quinn Ewers a bad quarterback by saying that he can get better by coming back for another year, one can say that Texas recruiting can be better with a little more success in-state.

No, they don't. How the team is doing on the field has very little to do with what is happening in-state reccruiting.

Honestly, this is just goofy discussion.
Poor team = poor recruiting. You think you would understand that as someone who’s been in the industry.

You picking and choosing words and ignoring the rest is goofy.

Fair to say one Can’t have a real conversation with you without you getting upset or resorting to tactics like calling a discussion “goofy” or worse. Have a good day bud!

Poor team = poor recruiting. You think you would understand that as someone who’s been in the industry.

You picking and choosing words and ignoring the rest is goofy.

Fair to say one Can’t have a real conversation with you without you getting upset or resorting to tactics like calling a discussion “goofy” or worse. Have a good day bud!
Good grief.

You're just trying to be difficult. Have a blessed night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT