ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Nothing has changed...)

Lol. Love #5...
Keep Trudging, Ketch. Love the triplets response as well. You do fine work and it is appreciated by most, I think.
Yeah, there was some weird stuff in this thread. The football that has been played for the last seven seasons has some people on tilt.

Reactions: PaulieD
That's what everyone thought of a young Louisville coach from a non Power 5 conference who had only lost 3 games in the past 2 seasons back in 2013...

Just kidding, if I had to guess I'd predict Herman to have a great career. But you have to admit, he's similar to what CS was when we hired him. There is no guarantee that Herman comes to Texas, or works out if he does.

Completely agree. And understand the comparison, which is kind of scary...but I have faith that Herman is a complete package.

Herman just seems to have a good understanding of every aspect of the game. when it comes to prep, gameplans, play calling, in game decisions, etc.

Charlie just always seemed to lack the little attention to details. I can name off numerous mistakes from the last 3 seasons

Where are TH's early years of going 5-7 etc.
Look hard but you won't find them.
He pretty much hit the ground running.
Plus , he is smart.

I truly believe that many people give too little credence to the differences in intelligence.

I think you're usually one of the more cerebral posters Wiz so I'm not being combative when I ask you to expand on your comments. Other than being coordinators on different sides of the ball, how are their pedigrees "very, very different"? Strong worked under Spurrier, Holtz and Meyer and Herman under Mack Brown and Meyer. Charlie spent more time at Power 5-D1 schools than Herman.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I see way more similarities in their pedigrees than "very, very different".

I believe Strong can't overcome his situation so a new coach is inevitable and I'm praying Herman is the "can't miss guy" many are making him out to be. But it seems like everyone has anointed him the savior of Texas Football already and it I think it's WAY too early for that.

No questionStrong has an impressive resume as an assistant coach. But he didn't make coordinator until age 40,and didn't make HC until age 50. Herman was a coordinator at 30 and a HC at 40. Strong was passedover multiple times for jobs he was qualified for (hey, nice resume), Herman has had to turn down promotions the last 3 years. Herman has tutored under one of the best coaches from the previous era(Mack Brown), one of the two best coaches of this era (Meyer), was directly responsible for beating the other best coach of the era in the national championship game (so much so, Saban asked Herman to visit his staff to prepare for Clemson in the championship game the following year). He has his own brand of offense. He's won the Broyles award for best assistant coach, and in just one season as a HC, he finished as a finalist for both the Eddie Robinson and Bear Bryant awards for national head coach of the year. He's one of only four coaches to win 13 games in his first season; the other three coaches are named Chris Petersen, George Woodruff, and Walter Camp.

And that's just pedigree. We haven't even touched on the vast differences in skill set.

The idea that the Herman and Strong coaching arcs are similar in either the height of the arc or the timing of the spike is inaccurate. But to be completely fair to Strong, there aren't many coaches PERIOD that profile similar to Herman at this stage of his career.

Reactions: DanielSucks
[QUOTE="txfight, post: 7734808, member: 78293" Just kidding, if I had to guess I'd predict Herman to have a great career. But you have to admit, he's similar to what CS was when we hired him. There is no guarantee that Herman comes to Texas, or works out if he does.[/QUOTE] I believe most people want Charlie gone this year because they are afraid they might lose Herman. If our job does come open we need to make sure we don't just jump after the next hot coach. A loss to Navy is certainly a reason for concern. And if you look at the bigger picture, Houston fired Levine mainly because he started 2–3 with some poor losses. He won five out of the last seven games after he moved Greg Ward, Jr. from receiver the quarterback. I think Herman might be a good coach but I would like to see how he does with his own players and without Ward, Jr. If you look at Urban Meyer's coaching tree there's not a lot of stars.

[QUOTE="txfight, post: 7734808, member: 78293" Just kidding, if I had to guess I'd predict Herman to have a great career. But you have to admit, he's similar to what CS was when we hired him. There is no guarantee that Herman comes to Texas, or works out if he does.
I believe most people want Charlie gone this year because they are afraid they might lose Herman. If our job does come open we need to make sure we don't just jump after the next hot coach. A loss to Navy is certainly a reason for concern. And if you look at the bigger picture, Houston fired Levine mainly because he started 2–3 with some poor losses. He won five out of the last seven games after he moved Greg Ward, Jr. from receiver the quarterback. I think Herman might be a good coach but I would like to see how he does with his own players and without Ward, Jr. If you look at Urban Meyer's coaching tree there's not a lot of stars.[/QUOTE]

Intelligence isn't a prerequisite to posting on OBs.

Reactions: PaulieD
Oh, stop acting like a win over Iowa State should move the needle.
Ketch, your negativity and that of most of the posters is both startling and extremely disappointing. It's as if you're rooting for Charlie Strong to get fired ASAP; I'm certainly seeing very little if any compassion. Personally, I'm very fond of Charlie and am pulling for him.

And lest people accuse me of not being a devoted Longhorn fan, let me assure you that I over-identify with the team and have to fight gloom and depression when things go badly. I've been following the team since the fall of 1961, when I started third grade, and I can still tell you from memory nearly all the scores from '61-'70, and quite a bit more than that about most of those games. Further, everyone in my immediate family graduated from UT, beginning with my sterling father in 1932; I'm the last one, graduating in '75.

I avoided this site almost completely for the two weeks before the ISU game, and I'm glad I did. I don't need further psychic torture.

Ketch, your negativity and that of most of the posters is both startling and extremely disappointing. It's as if you're rooting for Charlie Strong to get fired ASAP; I'm certainly seeing very little if any compassion. Personally, I'm very fond of Charlie and am pulling for him.

And lest people accuse me of not being a devoted Longhorn fan, let me assure you that I over-identify with the team and have to fight gloom and depression when things go badly. I've been following the team since the fall of 1961, when I started third grade, and I can still tell you from memory nearly all the scores from '61-'70, and quite a bit more than that about most of those games. Further, everyone in my immediate family graduated from UT, beginning with my sterling father in 1932; I'm the last one, graduating in '75.

I avoided this site almost completely for the two weeks before the ISU game, and I'm glad I did. I don't need further psychic torture.
I wasn't being negative, but you're losing perspective if a game against Iowa State is impacting the prism through which you view what is happening right now.

I wasn't being negative, but you're losing perspective if a game against Iowa State is impacting the prism through which you view what is happening right now.
Well, I suspect you, and many others, are now prone to emphasizing negative evidence and minimizing the positive.

Reactions: Remote Viewer
It reminded me of the way they overwhelmed UTEP. Let's wait a week or two before thinking that something really notable was accomplished.
I'm not so naive as to think our D is suddenly good. But Cy scored 73 pts in the previous 2 weeks against good teams; teams everyone will say are better than TX. So holding them to 6 isn't an accomplishment, regardless what happens the next 2 weeks?

Tough room.

Well, I suspect you, and many others, are now prone to emphasizing negative evidence and minimizing the positive.

The 85/15 split of negative/positive for going on three years straight doesn't help this epidemic.

lots of stuff in this thread that we can argue about. i just wanted to say craig way is a stud. remember him from late night high school reports friday nights on cable. I think we would all say he has been apart of our sports lives in Texas for in my case 25 years. Sweet post by him on saturday. Thanks Ketch for reposting as I had missed it.

I'm emphasizing the reality that we all live in and in this reality, there's a lot of negative ecidence.

I'm not so naive as to think our D is suddenly good. But Cy scored 73 pts in the previous 2 weeks against good teams; teams everyone will say are better than TX. So holding them to 6 isn't an accomplishment, regardless what happens the next 2 weeks?

Tough room.
a. what kind of accomplishment would you call it?

b. Big 12 defenses are pretty terrible as a group.

a. what kind of accomplishment would you call it?

b. Big 12 defenses are pretty terrible as a group.
After giving up points like a sieve all year, and then holding a team averaging 36 points/game against their last 2 quality opponents to only 2 FG's, I'd call it VERY positive step in the right direction. I'd say let's cautiously hope it's sustainable.

If ISU had been offensively inept all year, I'd admit, it's no big deal. But they recently scored at will against better defenses than ours and we kept them completely out of the endzone, which isn't nothing.

On another topic, I'm pretty impressed at how responsive you are on the boards. I can't imagine how much time you spend on here during football season responding to over-zealous idiots like me over every minute detail. As a Longhorn trapped in Big 10 country, it's great!

"I'd call it VERY positive step in the right direction. I'd say let's cautiously hope it's sustainable."

We are not in disagreement. I would probably say very instead of VERY, but we're splitting hairs.

I believe most people want Charlie gone this year because they are afraid they might lose Herman. If our job does come open we need to make sure we don't just jump after the next hot coach. A loss to Navy is certainly a reason for concern. And if you look at the bigger picture, Houston fired Levine mainly because he started 2–3 with some poor losses. He won five out of the last seven games after he moved Greg Ward, Jr. from receiver the quarterback. I think Herman might be a good coach but I would like to see how he does with his own players and without Ward, Jr. If you look at Urban Meyer's coaching tree there's not a lot of stars.

Intelligence isn't a prerequisite to posting on OBs.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for proving your own point...

[QUOTE="UTwiz, post: 7740164, member: 5518"When you scart skulling bahz, the anus is on you.[/QUOTE]
I retract the cerebral comment from before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT