ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Nothing has changed...)

Ketch, I have to tell you - that photo you use as your avatar today - some days (like Mondays) I look JUST like that ;-)

Honestly though the Big XII is so bad this year a compelling argument could be made that every remaining team should be beat easily.
I get what you are saying, but he is still a young elite coach in the making. By no means is he Urban Meyer, but he's got potential to be great.

IMO they finish 10-2 and his stock is high as ever.
That's what everyone thought of a young Louisville coach from a non Power 5 conference who had only lost 3 games in the past 2 seasons back in 2013...

Just kidding, if I had to guess I'd predict Herman to have a great career. But you have to admit, he's similar to what CS was when we hired him. There is no guarantee that Herman comes to Texas, or works out if he does.

I'm the far from waving the "WE'RE BACK BABY!" banner but holding them to 2 FG's when they scored easily all over OSU and Baylor and put 20 on TCU should count for at least a mention right?

Reactions: misterdee
I'm the far from waving the "WE'RE BACK BABY!" banner but holding them to 2 FG's when they scored easily all over OSU and Baylor and put 20 on TCU should count for at least a mention right?
It reminded me of the way they overwhelmed UTEP. Let's wait a week or two before thinking that something really notable was accomplished.

That's what everyone thought of a young Louisville coach from a non Power 5 conference who had only lost 3 games in the past 2 seasons back in 2013...

Just kidding, if I had to guess I'd predict Herman to have a great career. But you have to admit, he's similar to what CS was when we hired him. There is no guarantee that Herman comes to Texas, or works out if he does.

Herman's career arc looks nothing like Strong's once you get past the surface level. Very, very different pedigree and skill set.

Herman's career arc looks nothing like Strong's once you get past the surface level. Very, very different pedigree and skill set.
Watch the tulsa game and keep slurping that pedigree. Tom's team looked like shit against the smallest and one of the worst D1schools. Bet you were defintely puckering when the Tulsa player got tackled at the 1 ft. Line. Herman's stock will continue to drop.

It doesn't even seem like the longhorns won a game yesterday if you visit this board. Pathetic

Tired of having to celebrate a win over 1-6 Iowa state like it means ANYTHING at all.

That is NOT the bar.

And it's not the bar at at least half the big 12, big 10 SEC PAC and ACC.

So basically it doesn't meet the bar for half of div 1A.

If you need to celebrate, hoo rah.

Can we just get this miserable freakin year over with?!?

Watch the tulsa game and keep slurping that pedigree. Tom's team looked like shit against the smallest and one of the worst D1schools. Bet you were defintely puckering when the Tulsa player got tackled at the 1 ft. Line. Herman's stock will continue to drop.
To be fair, hIs players play real good against Florida State and Oklahoma.

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
To be fair, hIs players play real good against Florida State and Oklahoma.
A disinterested FSU and the same okie team that UT beat last year?? To also be fair, his players lost to a crappy UConn team, a very average Navy team and damned near lost to a shitty Tulsa team. Fools gold...

A disinterested FSU and the same okie team that UT beat last year?? To also be fair, his players lost to a crappy UConn team, a very average Navy team and damned near lost to a shitty Tulsa team. Fools gold...
That possibility certainly exists.

Ketch apparently can't see that our defense, which has leaked like a sieve, held an opponent that had averaged 40 points a game in Big 12 play, to just 3 points. (Iowa State's other 3 points were courtesy of a red-zone TO by our offense.) The Texas defenders even tossed in a goal-line stand at the end of the game for good measure. If we can play defense like that with some consistency, we're capable of beating anyone left on our schedule.

This weekend, I had a chance to talk with Fenves, Powers and a bunch of donors. It was obvious that they see us at 3-3 with half the season yet to play. They also see huge risks in making a coaching change other than just the monetary costs. They like Strong personally, and really want him to succeed. He's going to get every benefit of the doubt, and is probably going to be back unless the team implodes in the next 6 games.

On another note, as Nuufaola posted on another thread, every single person I talked to about Perrin categorically refuted what Anwar was told. The bureaucrat Anwar got his story from was badly misinformed about Perrin and his respective input with Strong and Fenves.
Just what we need, the informed opinion of Bill Powers in regards to football coaches.

Ketch apparently can't see that our defense, which has leaked like a sieve, held an opponent that had averaged 40 points a game in Big 12 play, to just 3 points. (Iowa State's other 3 points were courtesy of a red-zone TO by our offense.) The Texas defenders even tossed in a goal-line stand at the end of the game for good measure. If we can play defense like that with some consistency, we're capable of beating anyone left on our schedule.

This weekend, I had a chance to talk with Fenves, Powers and a bunch of donors. It was obvious that they see us at 3-3 with half the season yet to play. They also see huge risks in making a coaching change other than just the monetary costs. They like Strong personally, and really want him to succeed. He's going to get every benefit of the doubt, and is probably going to be back unless the team implodes in the next 6 games.

On another note, as Nuufaola posted on another thread, every single person I talked to about Perrin categorically refuted what Anwar was told. The bureaucrat Anwar got his story from was badly misinformed about Perrin and his respective input with Strong and Fenves.
I appreciate what you say, but please put me down for not giving two shits what Bill
Powers thinks about our FB coach. Loved him as a prof in law school. Good guy
generally, but he needs to exercise his right to remain silent on coaches.

=)roll

I think you're usually one of the more cerebral posters Wiz so I'm not being combative when I ask you to expand on your comments. Other than being coordinators on different sides of the ball, how are their pedigrees "very, very different"? Strong worked under Spurrier, Holtz and Meyer and Herman under Mack Brown and Meyer. Charlie spent more time at Power 5-D1 schools than Herman.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I see way more similarities in their pedigrees than "very, very different".

I believe Strong can't overcome his situation so a new coach is inevitable and I'm praying Herman is the "can't miss guy" many are making him out to be. But it seems like everyone has anointed him the savior of Texas Football already and it I think it's WAY too early for that.

I think you're usually one of the more cerebral posters Wiz so I'm not being combative when I ask you to expand on your comments. Other than being coordinators on different sides of the ball, how are their pedigrees "very, very different"? Strong worked under Spurrier, Holtz and Meyer and Herman under Mack Brown and Meyer. Charlie spent more time at Power 5-D1 schools than Herman.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I see way more similarities in their pedigrees than "very, very different".

I believe Strong can't overcome his situation so a new coach is inevitable and I'm praying Herman is the "can't miss guy" many are making him out to be. But it seems like everyone has anointed him the savior of Texas Football already and it I think it's WAY too early for that.
Strong has been passed over many many times by several teams for HC jobs before Texas, he was never considered a hot prospect at all. And we've seen why that is

Where are TH's early years of going 5-7 etc?
Look hard , but you won't find them.
He pretty much hit the ground running.
Plus , he is smart.

Last edited:
Multiple reasons.

1. My first responsibility is the site and me being on the board at all times on game day, especially after losses is a key responsibility.

2. My post-game column is almost always the very first piece of post-game content anywhere. I think that is important.

3. I can't afford to not be on top of things for more than an hour after the final seconds tick off the clock.

4. Having inconsistent Internet access on my phone inside the stadium is an issue as well.

5. Your job is literally nothing like mine.

Lol. Love #5...
Keep Trudging, Ketch. Love the triplets response as well. You do fine work and it is appreciated by most, I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT