ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Now is the time for Tom Herman to be a star ...)

I don't think it's hyperbole to say Saturday is a monumental day. When Tom Herman was hired, we were all 100% positive he was a savant that would lead us to greatness. He had some tough circumstances on the football field last year, but it was an unmitigated disappointment.

Tom has done a lot for our program, but he absolutely has some questions to answer, and he needs to answer them right now.

One is that he absolutely has to have the offense fixed. It needs to operate at a level that is in the top 3-4 in the league and gives us enough to win consistently with solid D play. I think there is plenty of talent around for a solid top 40 offense, there are zero excuses for it to not happen. If Tom and staff can't make it happen, then I fear that Tom is not the guy we all thought he was.

If Tom can get the offense operating functionally, there is no reason this team can't win 10 football games. This is the most talented, experienced Texas team we've had in a while. And the schedule feels decently favorable for the first time in awhile.

So I agree. Either Tom Herman is the star we think he is, he gets the offense rolling and we have a monster year, or, it sputters and we dick around to 6 or 7 wins and now no one is confident about what we have going on around here anymore. I don't really see an in-between. Recruiting is already tough in state right now, wait till the vultures start circling.

It needs to happen, right now. There is no excuse. Either Tom is the guy we thought he was, or we were all duped.

We start the process of finding out Saturday.

Here we go, gents. Fingers crossed we were all right.

And if we lose the game Sat, then what?

Holy. Shit. Rick! Carr!

My man!

How did I never know this? Did I know this? Had I forgotten you were a member?

I *think* we talked about it years ago, but I post so rarely that I'm easy to forget. ;)

Among the many things that this thread proves, is that everyone associated with the football program -- and all of us who root for it -- desperately NEED a great season.

I *think* we talked about it years ago, but I post so rarely that I'm easy to forget. ;)

Among the many things that this thread proves, is that everyone associated with the football program -- and all of us who root for it -- desperately NEED a great season.
Not any more. I have to write this down on my hand or something. I do remember talking a few years ago, now that you mention it. You're on the other side of the TV business, right?

Not any more. I have to write this down on my hand or something. I do remember talking a few years ago, now that you mention it. You're on the other side of the TV business, right?

Yep, I got out of TV after leaving Austin for a job that my wife (who's an Anchor) got in San Diego. Ended up going to law school and have been representing on-air talent for almost 15 years.... which means I'm getting old!

I'll email you.

Without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, Urban Meyer would have lost his job if this situation had occurred with him steering the ship at Texas. I've had too many conversations with high-level decision-makers over the 20 years for me to think anything other than that. It matters to Texas that it be perceived as a football power, but a football power that allows it to sit on top of a hill and doesn't reflect poorly on the rest of the university.
Completely agree, Ketch. And I'm proud I can say so about my alma mater.

Also, that was a good tribute to John McCain. RIP, Senator.

I make sure to always read this article every week.

From a political standpoint, and as a republican, I didn't agree with much of McCain's politics. With that said, your commentary at the end of this article is what I appreciate about this site and your character (@Ketchum ). Keep it up. And what makes me want to wake and read this every Monday morning

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT