ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Oh, the hills I choose to die on...)

Missouri State - 99%
Tenn - 90%
Army - 90%
Baylor - 90%
Texas - 65%

That is a 47% chance of going 5-0.

didn’t you put the Texas game at 50/50 in your post? Idc if they have Lincoln, Rattler isn’t a favorite vs Sam.

didn’t you put the Texas game at 50/50 in your post? Idc if they have Lincoln, Rattler isn’t a favorite vs Sam.
I put that so that no one would argue that the math needed to be favored towards Texas.

I don't think Vegas or computers would call it a 50-50 game.

Reactions: Napaak
per rogan and Dana that is a lot talk and not a lot of action. That fight isn’t happening unless ngannou wins title eventually.

jones dosent want that fight despite his social media stance per rogan
Jon is posturing I’m sure, but the UFC has a history of this behavior, so I wouldn’t buy what Dana says, at all.

Jon is posturing I’m sure, but the UFC has a history of this behavior, so I wouldn’t buy what Dana says, at all.
kinda what I was thinking. Don't trust anyone when the only people to trust are untrustworthy.

The Aggy behavioral comparison for us really stings, but I've been thinking the same for a while now. Nobody can Aggy like Aggy, but we are definitely exhibiting some Aggy traits. As examples:

1. Consistently thinking a bunch of our guys are better than the rest of the football world thinks they are, including the NFL.

2. Always talkinyg about Clemson, Bama, Ohio St. etc. in context of comparing ourselves to them ... we aren't on the same level and haven't been for a decade.

3. Unrealistic "wishful thinking" discussions about how great things could work out for us, even though the track record of those scenarios coming through has been near zero percent for a decade.

We need to stop acting like Aggy. Accept our mediocrity like men without excuses. Limit the ridiculous wishful thinking chatter and focus on grinding our way back to prominence over years which starts with beating Baylor, TCU etc. showing we can coach up 3 * recruits and putting our top athletes in the NFL year after year.

The Aggy behavioral comparison for us really stings, but I've been thinking the same for a while now. Nobody can Aggy like Aggy, but we are definitely exhibiting some Aggy traits. As examples:

1. Consistently thinking a bunch of our guys are better than the rest of the football world thinks they are, including the NFL.

2. Always talkinyg about Clemson, Bama, Ohio St. etc. in context of comparing ourselves to them ... we aren't on the same level and haven't been for a decade.

3. Unrealistic "wishful thinking" discussions about how great things could work out for us, even though the track record of those scenarios coming through has been near zero percent for a decade.

We need to stop acting like Aggy. Accept our mediocrity like men without excuses. Limit the ridiculous wishful thinking chatter and focus on grinding our way back to prominence over years which starts with beating Baylor, TCU etc. showing we can coach up 3 * recruits and putting our top athletes in the NFL year after year.
I'd like this post 1,000 times if I could.

@Ketchum or anyone else, tell me if this is right.

If our odds against both Ou and LSU are 50%, then
1. The odds of beating both are 25%.
2. The odds of splitting are 50%.
3. The odds of losing both are 25%.

Yes, there are 2 ways of splitting, 1 way of losing both, 1 way of winning both- 4 combinations that make up the denominator.

50% each coin flip is 50%, the percentages don’t change based on number of flips. It’s always 50%

using this logic, you'd tell me that the odds of a flipping a coin in the air 100 times and having it land on heads 100 times is really a 50-percent chance.

kinda what I was thinking. Don't trust anyone when the only people to trust are untrustworthy.
Correct, but I have no doubt Jon would ask for more money to take that fight, as would I. You want me to go up a weight class (and not a normal weight class) and fight the scariest man in the division that kills guys with one touch? Yeah, I’m not gonna take the standard deal on that. Assuming that and knowing how they treated Demetrious Johnson, who was in a similar situation as a dominant champion being asked to move up, it wouldn’t surprise me that they just told Jon they wouldn’t restructure.

Correct, but I have no doubt Jon would ask for more money to take that fight, as would I. You want me to go up a weight class (and not a normal weight class) and fight the scariest man in the division that kills guys with one touch? Yeah, I’m not gonna take the standard deal on that. Assuming that and knowing how they treated Demetrious Johnson, who was in a similar situation as a dominant champion being asked to move up, it wouldn’t surprise me that they just told Jon they wouldn’t restructure.
Jones isn't reckless. He ain't trying to be Cowboy.

Reactions: McGuapo
using this logic, you'd tell me that the odds of a flipping a coin in the air 100 times and having it land on heads 100 times is really a 50-percent chance.

I would say that if you flipped a coin and it landed on heads, the next flip would be a 50% chance that it lands on heads, and if it did, your next flip would be 50% that it lands on heads. Every flip is 50%. It is just how statistics and probability works.

Jones isn't reckless. He ain't trying to be Cowboy.
Right. The answer to 9 out of 10 questions is money. When they say it isn’t about the money, it’s about the money.

Enough excuses for Garrett Gilbert. He sucked from the very first moment he stepped onto the field until the moment he was yanked 15 games later. His dad convinced Mack to chase away every QB prospect a year ahead or in his class. He quit the team 3 days after losing his job for good. Good riddance.

Coaches have a responsibility to put players in a situation to be successful.

You think Vick, Vince Young etc. need to be in a west coast or pro style of offense? No that’s stupid.

I’m not a Gilbert apologist but to discount that would be disingenuous.

Reactions: Razumihin
Bear Bryant always said from coaching him at Alabama that as long as a back stayed in bounds that Leroy Jordan would get em.

think he also maintained up to his death that Jordan was the best player he’d ever coached... I saw LeeRoy at a restaurant in Dallas with Cliff Harris and their families sometime after LRJ had retired - he looked like he weighed about 175 then.. guess he was tired of being a big old fatso :)

Reactions: satterwm
What ketch is doing wrong is that he is saying there are 4 potential outcomes, but there are only 2 outcomes in two different instances. Another way of looking at it is from averages. (.5+.5)/2=.5

We need to stop acting like Aggy. Accept our mediocrity like men without excuses. Limit the ridiculous wishful thinking chatter and focus on grinding our way back to prominence over years which starts with beating Baylor, TCU etc. showing we can coach up 3 * recruits and putting our top athletes in the NFL year after year.[/QUI know I beat this drum too much, but

Even though I so like the throw-back toughness of the "no excuses, no explanations" Tony Dungee attitude, I'll over- beat my drum in an effort to offset the third rail aspect of the entire subject of cheating in CFB recruiting...… the likeness and image changes that are coming will expose the biggest reason teams excel in recruiting beyond what is logical.

This is maybe the most surprising thing I have read from you in a decade. I figured as someone who is a fan of the biggest stars in the game doing their thing you would be all over it. Throw in the fact that they were mic'd up and Charles was one of the commentators? I wish they would do these things every off-season.

Watched the whole thing from beginning to end (because what else are you going to do). It sucked that it rained on them, but I found it somewhat entertaining... the golf was so-so, but the personalities were fun to watch. Chuck giving Brady shit and then Brady dropping one in from 100 yards was perfect. Peyton is a character, Phil is a mad scientist and Tiger was the most subdued. Not sure if I would watch on a normal weekend, but I enjoyed it and they raised $20M for charity. Glad I watched.

Watched the whole thing from beginning to end (because what else are you going to do). It sucked that it rained on them, but I found it somewhat entertaining... the golf was so-so, but the personalities were fun to watch. Chuck giving Brady shit and then Brady dropping one in from 100 yards was perfect. Peyton is a character, Phil is a mad scientist and Tiger was the most subdued. Not sure if I would watch on a normal weekend, but I enjoyed it and they raised $20M for charity. Glad I watched.
I just thought it was a great set-up, with the personalities and the teammates that were not pro golfers but were still pretty good. The rain took away a bit but the access to the golfers was great.

I agree I wouldn't watch these all the time, but once or twice a year would be perfect.

Reactions: donoseven
I would say that if you flipped a coin and it landed on heads, the next flip would be a 50% chance that it lands on heads, and if it did, your next flip would be 50% that it lands on heads. Every flip is 50%. It is just how statistics and probability works.
Yes, every individual coin flip is 50-percent. Good grief.

What ketch is doing wrong is that he is saying there are 4 potential outcomes, but there are only 2 outcomes in two different instances. Another way of looking at it is from averages. (.5+.5)/2=.5

Although it's getting to the point where all of us are somewhat manufacturing things to talk about, Ketch's math was fine from the footage I saw.

Last season we had loads of talents and fell short in a number of games where we should be dominant. I blame our very high paid coaches. The coaching changes TH made were a year too late. We’ve wasted a QB thst should have been elite last season.

Any time you have a top ten recruiting class and little to no draft picks is a direct problem with coaches.
I would have to disagree we had "loads of talent". Watching the playoffs and the NFL draft was pretty telling. Those teams were not like ours. I will agree that LSU kept getting better and better as the year progressed. We digressed after LSU and Oklahoma.

I would have to disagree we had "loads of talent". Watching the playoffs and the NFL draft was pretty telling. Those teams were not like ours. I will agree that LSU kept getting better and better as the year progressed. We digressed after LSU and Oklahoma.

I agree now but prior to the season we had the talent to expect to win the conference and maybe a playoff birth as well as Sam in the Heisman picture. Later on as the season progressed we showed well against LSU and we are flying high in the rankings. We fell apart soon thereafter.

I agree now but prior to the season we had the talent to expect to win the conference and maybe a playoff birth as well as Sam in the Heisman picture. Later on as the season progressed we showed well against LSU and we are flying high in the rankings. We fell apart soon thereafter.
How many Longhorns were listed as All-Big 12 going into the season?

7 of the last 8 coaches to take a team to a natty did it by year 4. We won’t be winning a natty any time soon...likely never with Herman, but he simply has to win the Big 12 this year.

If he doesn’t, he’s done here. Sure we won’t fire him for a few more years, but he’ll be done here.

Wanted to add a little more to the thought that 7 of the last 8 coaches to take a team to a natty did it by year 4.

Only 2 coaches in the last 20 years or so has inherited a losing team (using the previous 3 years) and won a natty within 2-4 years of taking over. And only 1 of those inherited a worse team than Tom Herman did.

That could be telling us one of these 2 things.
1. Tom Herman could win a natty within the next 2-4 years.
2. If he doesn't, the next coach could win a natty within the next 2-4 years after he takes over.

Reactions: satterwm
Wanted to add a little more to the thought that 7 of the last 8 coaches to take a team to a natty did it by year 4.

Only 2 coaches in the last 20 years or so has inherited a losing team (using the previous 3 years) and won a natty within 2-4 years of taking over. And only 1 of those inherited a worse team than Tom Herman did.

That could be telling us one of these 2 things.
1. Tom Herman could win a natty within the next 2-4 years.
2. If he doesn't, the next coach could win a natty within the next 2-4 years after he takes over.
Wut?

Reactions: NorthDallas-40
ADVERTISEMENT