ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Oh, the hills I choose to die on...)

Cornell Green was better than Everson Walls; statistics aren't everything. Loved both players though.

Ketch,

I don't think ti makes much difference how Texas performs in the first 5 games this season (if there is a season). I don't think 5 star recruits really care about winning a title in college -- they want to go to a school that is going to develop them to be an NFL talent. I think most 4 stars are the same. Winning will make a difference for the 3 star players since their chances of playing on Sundays are slim at best.

I think you were right on the podcast and that McComas and Suchomel were just sitting there sipping the kool-aid repeating the same old tired mantra we hear every spring and summer. If things were as rosy as they like to think, we wouldn't be looking at over a decade without a conference title.

Texas' lack of development issues aren't new. The same debate raged on when I was at the 40 Acres back in the late 80's. There is a reason that Texas football has been lost in a land of mediocrity for most of the past 30+ years (with the exception of the 2000's). Players just don't get better at Texas.

One thing that I believe is true is that momentum can change quickly. LSU was about to fire their head coach 2 years ago. Clemson was nobody 10 years ago. Michigan was hot when Harbaugh got there and now not so much. USC was killing it and now. So Texas needs a jolt in momentum that I believe can only be caused by developing the players they have and getting them drafted day 1 and 2 of the nfl draft. Question: can speed and quickness be developed like strength, or is it something you have to be born with. Looking at the depth chart we have a high 4 star prospect in every position room. On defense Ossai looks the part; Koburn needs to drop about 10 lbs of fat get quicker and play with a high motor and good technique. Our dbs need to disrupt wr at the line and mirror them and make plays on the ball without getting flagged. 2 years ago I was afraid someone was going to take Todd Orlando to be their head coach. Then last year we couldn't cover or tackle. They need to get back to the fundamentals. Take one more step to the ball carrier and wrap up. The oline has picked up a handful of 4 stars. We need those guys (Tyler Johnson, Denzel O., Junior Angilau, I. Hookfin, Sam Cosmi and Derek Kerstetter) to get stronger, faster, quicker and play with good hands and footwork. Dele and Overshown need to be sideline to sideline tackling machines. Brennan Eagles needs to come in running routes like Jerry Jeudy. Jake Smith needs to look like a faster Hunter Renfro. Finally Sam Ehlinger needs to get the ball out faster, anticipate when wr will be open, put the ball out in front of them and let them catch the ball in stride. If we come out score 40 pts/game and hold opponents to less than 20 pts/game. All will be cured. We'll win a ton of games and start getting a handful of players drafted every year. We have enough talent on the roster to survive a weak recruiting class; however we need to get the momentum back asap.

Man, that’s a long list of “ifs” and “we need to’s”.

I’ll summarize for you.

Texas must win the Big 12 this year.

That’s it. Anything short of that would be disastrous.

Recruiting.

Herman already lost the “new coach bump”. His only chance to regain the kind of recruiting momentum he needs to stack us with 4 and 5 stars is to win the Big 12.

So if Texas goes 10-2 or 11-1 or 12-0 and lose the Big 12 Championship Game, we will have no recruiting momentum?

They certainly won't have a Big 12 title, which Herman himself says is the bar for success in every season.

For sure. I'm just kind of thinking that recruiting momentum, or the lack thereof, will have been determined before the Big 12 CCG in early December.

On another note, about the best quarterback prospect since Rodgers...

How can the Horns possibly go 5-0??? Premature end to offseason workouts, no spring ball, probably delayed start to fall camp, they are bound to be soft and a step slow...working with new coordinators, many new position coaches, new systems...a lot stacks against us here. Hope I am wrong.

How can the Horns possibly go 5-0??? Premature end to offseason workouts, no spring ball, probably delayed start to fall camp, they are bound to be soft and a step slow...working with new coordinators, many new position coaches, new systems...a lot stacks against us here. Hope I am wrong.

You asked "How can the Horns possibly go 5-0???"

I ask is there any game on the schedule that is not winnable?

Yea, no more than I did when you replied the same way to one of my posts.
Name the time Tom Herman has gone on the road and proven his program in Austin could win in one of the toughest places to win in college football.

Texas has lost its last three true road games, two of which were by double digits.

So if Texas goes 10-2 or 11-1 or 12-0 and lose the Big 12 Championship Game, we will have no recruiting momentum?

Correct. We have virtually none now, and we need a bold statement to change the narrative. That means beating OU and winning the conference. Ideally, we beat LSU, too.

Elite kids aren’t buying what Herman is selling. The elite kids we want are picking between the three best programs in the country - Clemson, Bama and Ohio State. If they’re going to stay closer to home or play in the Big 12, Lincoln Riley is spitting out first round offensive players.

Herman has to show these kids his new coaching hires were the only thing holding him back. He doesn’t have any more time to rebuild.

Reactions: Razumihin
The coin would either land on heads both times, tails both times or one of each. So one in three?
100597995_2655494124728978_826032733414227968_n.jpg

Reactions: BATMAN925
Name the time Tom Herman has gone on the road and proven his program in Austin could win in one of the toughest places to win in college football.

Texas has lost its last three true road games, two of which were by double digits.

So you are saying that the LSU game is not winnable. And I am saying that every game on the schedule is winnable. We obviously disagree.

Just answer the question.

Technically, you didn't ask me a question but I'll go ahead. Tom has not won a truly big game on the road at Texas. That still doesn't mean that the LSU is not winnable.

Now, you responded to a post in which I did ask a question but you didn't answer the question either. Care to answer my question?

Technically, you didn't ask me a question but I'll go ahead. Tom has not won a truly big game on the road at Texas. That still doesn't mean that the LSU is not winnable.
So, to be clear, Texas under Tom hasn't actually proven it can win this time of game?

It's merely confirmation bias via giving unearned benefit of the doubt at this stage,

Reactions: Rickstacopy
So, to be clear, Texas under Tom hasn't actually proven it can win this time of game?

It's merely confirmation bias via giving unearned benefit of the doubt at this stage,

As I said, Tom has not won this type of game at Texas. Now, my question is a lot simpler requiring only a yes or no answer. Is the LSU game winnable?

As I said, Tom has not won this type of game at Texas. Now, my question is a lot simpler requiring only a yes or no answer. Is the LSU game winnable?
Texas hasn't proven that its winnable.

What you and I think really don't matter. The reality is that this is exactly the kind of game you can't say is winnable until you win one like it.

Finally Sam Ehlinger needs to get the ball out faster, anticipate when wr will be open, put the ball out in front of them and let them catch the ball in stride.
+1. Accuracy definitely needs to improve, especially his deep ball. If we can’t consistently stretch the field, opposing defenses will play much closer to the line of scrimmage and key on our runs and short / sideways passes. Against the sisters of the poor it likely won’t matter, but the LSU’s and OU’s will be high-fiving in our backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT