ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Only Tom Herman knows the answer to this...)

I just don't think elite play-callers grow on trees. It has to be proven that he can hire someone more capable than himself.

TH knows whether he can or can't call plays better than Beck. If he can, he should, regardless of the work required, until he finds someone who is as good as he is. Crazy for TH to bet his own livelihood on someone who isn't as good at his job as TH is.

Reactions: Dualthreat
Should I be surprised ? During the season the QB's never seemed to get two days of peace and now that the season is over Coach Herman can't seem to get any peace.

can he? Are we sure?

If he cant:

He needs to correct the issues with his subordinates. Or

He is a weak leader and not suited for the HC seat.

Going into year 2, I am willing to give door number 2 the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I am not automatically concluding that the only solution for number one is a replacement. Each of his subordinates should have clear roles and responsibilities. If there are issues (and we know there are), he needs to evaluate the root cause of those issues. Once the root cause(s) is known, there should be no doubt which subordinate owns that issue. CTH should work with that subordinate to develop the actions needed to correct that issue. In most cases, the subordinate will be able to correct that issue. If, after several iterations of assignment of actions to a subordinate, if he determines that the subordinate doesn't have the knowledge/experience/expertise, the desire, or the capacity to execute the roles and responsibilities of his seat, then that subordinate must go.

Usually, most HC's are given 3 years to show acceptable results. I am probably in the minority, but because the primary role of each coach is to mold a team sculpture out of 18-21 year old males, I think position coaches should be given two years before they are replaced for performance issues. Now, if it becomes apparent that they don't fit the HC's core values/culture, then a faster exit is in order.

DKR called plays.

A bit on DKR's philosophy:
“The only way anybody’s ever going to beat Oklahoma,” he declared at the outset, “is to go out there and whip ‘em jaw to jaw.” The essence of football, he contended, is the wreckage of the guy directly in front of you. Royal’s antipathy to the passing game was famous: “When you pass, three things can happen, and two of them are bad.” He also observed that even the best pro passing attacks take four or five years to develop; the rapid turnover of college personnel prevented the necessary fine-tuning. But he also seems to have scorned passing because it was art, not muscle. It introduced randomness to the game. The rushing game, on the other hand, forced one-on-one confrontations, strength versus strength. By running the football, you not only defeated people, you established your physical dominance. The victims remembered. And word got around.

A different game and time. If I remember correctly, there were only three plays to be called then. DKR would simply watch to see which defender was tired or hurting, and the next play went right over that player.

BTW, it's absolutely laughable that you put Oklahoma in that category. Laugh out loud funny.

Reactions: horns--21
CTH wasn’t hired as an OC. He was hired as a HC. He didn’t call plays at Houston. Why would Fenves and Perrin believe that he will call plays in Austin?

There exist technology that allows communication between the HC on the sidelines and the OC who is usually in the box, getting a better view of the overall defensive opposition. It usually makes more sense for the person with that improved perspective to call plays. They, on average, see a clearer view of what the defense is and how it can be better attacked. Should the HC on the sidelines see something and want to call a play, the technology allows him to do so. The HC and the OC should be on the same page. Most of the time, the HC should be in sync with what his OC is calling. If not, there is a bigger problem to be fixed. With all of our hand-wringing this year, I'm not sure if there ever existed a lack of communication between Herman and Beck. It looked more like the offense they wanted and tried to install in the off-season couldn't be executed by the personnel that they had. Let's hope with a year of more familiarity with their players, they will make adjustments for next season.

There exist technology that allows communication between the HC on the sidelines and the OC who is usually in the box, getting a better view of the overall defensive opposition. It usually makes more sense for the person with that improved perspective to call plays. They, on average, see a clearer view of what the defense is and how it can be better attacked. Should the HC on the sidelines see something and want to call a play, the technology allows him to do so. The HC and the OC should be on the same page. Most of the time, the HC should be in sync with what his OC is calling. If not, there is a bigger problem to be fixed. With all of our hand-wringing this year, I'm not sure if there ever existed a lack of communication between Herman and Beck. It looked more like the offense they wanted and tried to install in the off-season couldn't be executed by the personnel that they had. Let's hope with a year of more familiarity with their players, they will make adjustments for next season.
I am inclined to believe that, as a play caller, at best, Beck is a work in progress and at worst he just sucks at it. I don't think we can afford either at this point.

I am inclined to believe that, as a play caller, at best, Beck is a work in progress and at worst he just sucks at it. I don't think we can afford either at this point.

I certainly appears that way. I also think that the overall offensive scheme that Herman and Beck were married to last season just weren't aligned to the personnel. I think Herman went into the season thinking he had much more to work with on offense that he did. Looking at the Maryland game:

He thought Shane could run his offense - behind the OL. That turned out to be a big miss read.
He thought the OL was going to be serviceable, or even a positive. That turned out to be a big miss read.
He thought Chris Warren was going to be his go-to running back. That turned out to be a big miss read.

I'm just not sure what to make of the WR's. Sitting in their shrink wrap, they sure look shiny. None of them seemed to show more than a flash during the season. That may be because of the other offensive issues.

Anyway, I hold Herman accountable for going into the season with a misconception of the level of talent at his disposal on offense. Also, I am disappointed that he wasn't able to make corrections during the season. He has had last season, and this off-season to get a reality check. I think there can be real improvement if he schemes an offense to match what he will be working with next year. I still have faith he will get there. But, expectations need to be tempered. I think a 9 win season next year will be enough for me to show continued progress. 2019/2020 is when things should start to click -- especially if he continues to recruit the way he has.

Reactions: EdSimmonsPants
I certainly appears that way. I also think that the overall offensive scheme that Herman and Beck were married to last season just weren't aligned to the personnel. I think Herman went into the season thinking he had much more to work with on offense that he did. Looking at the Maryland game:

He thought Shane could run his offense - behind the OL. That turned out to be a big miss read.
He thought the OL was going to be serviceable, or even a positive. That turned out to be a big miss read.
He thought Chris Warren was going to be his go-to running back. That turned out to be a big miss read.

I'm just not sure what to make of the WR's. Sitting in their shrink wrap, they sure look shiny. None of them seemed to show more than a flash during the season. That may be because of the other offensive issues.

Anyway, I hold Herman accountable for going into the season with a misconception of the level of talent at his disposal on offense. Also, I am disappointed that he wasn't able to make corrections during the season. He has had last season, and this off-season to get a reality check. I think there can be real improvement if he schemes an offense to match what he will be working with next year. I still have faith he will get there. But, expectations need to be tempered. I think a 9 win season next year will be enough for me to show continued progress. 2019/2020 is when things should start to click -- especially if he continues to recruit the way he has.
Agreed, good post

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Why do you think TH is hesitant to call plays as HC?

I don't think he's hesitant. He had a lot of success at Houston with Major calling plays. He watched Urban let his coaches coach. He just wants to run the entire program and believes the way to do that is to manage all three phases equally. Just like Saban, Dabo, and Urban. The narrative that he was hired for his offense is way overrated. He was hired because he was successful at Houston. The team was good. He recruited well TO Houston. He had a great staff FOR Houston.

To be fair, during his first presser going into the season he said they would have to win a lot of games with the defense so I think he knew that he didn't have much to work with on O. And he gave Sam plenty of opportunities. Just when you thought Sam was going take command, he would blow a winnable game in the 4th Q / OT. And they made a lot of corrections and changes throughout the season. More than I can ever remember on a Texas team. That said, I agree that they need to show progress and improvement. I predicted 7-5. Hate it that I was close but I didn't have much confidence for the talent after losing to Kansas and 3 straight losing seasons. Never understood the expectations that were being tossed around.

Less than 2% of HC would be my guess. And there's a reason for that.
Less than 2% would translate to less than 2.

There are at least 2 within a 370ish mile radius.

Good guess, though. Math continues to be a strength. ;)

@Ketchum You like Anderson over Tucker? Give me the P5 guy over the Rice guy. Tucker seems more likely as well. But of course both would be best.

Willie Taggert is calling plays at FSU and he's not even going to pretend to hire an OC.

The notion that a tiny, tiny amount of head coaches with offensive backgrounds is calling plays is beyond laughable. It's no longer worth entertaining.

Thought it was pretty clear. You said Anderson was the most important recruit of 2018. So you like him over Casey Tucker (more likely guy at this point and a P5 player vs. a Rice player)?
By a 100-foot pole.

Article on Dan Mullen being able to do both.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...r-and-head-coach-mississippi-state/707991001/

Scott Frost calls his own plays.

Hugh Freeze called his own plays.

Chip Kelly will call plays. And Jimbo. And Riley.

But, yeah, keep believing that only coaching unicorns are doing it.

Willie Taggert is calling plays at FSU and he's not even going to pretend to hire an OC.

The notion that a tiny, tiny amount of head coaches with offensive backgrounds is calling plays is beyond laughable. It's no longer worth entertaining.

It's a tiny, tiny amount. The discussion from coaching panel during the national championship game happened, whether you like to admit it or not.

You know what else happened? Tom Herman saying he didn't want to do it, then gave multiple reasons.

You don't entertain the things that work against your narrative.

It's a tiny, tiny amount. The discussion from coaching panel during the national championship game happened, whether you like to admit it or not.

You know what else happened? Tom Herman saying he didn't want to do it, then gave multiple reasons.

You don't entertain the things that work against your narrative.
ok 2%.

I like that you sat there and posted this, as if the number is 5%, it gives you a victory.
You don't have any idea what the real number is, guessed out a dumb number and still keep on swimming up shit creek without a paddle.

I didn't win. You forfeited.

What's funny is that wiz is aided by the fact that a lot of head coaches are defensive guys, first and foremost, so they dilute the overall numbers.

If we limited this to head coaches with offensive backgrounds, the number is likely 6-7 times larger than the 2% number that wiz made up in his head that can be soundly refuted off the top of the average fan's head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT