Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Permission to Dream Colossally)

Okay, I am just now rewatching the telecast after being at the game last night. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Colt was basically saying he hadn't been back to DKR since they had made all of the gameday improvements (SEZ, LED lights, etc.). I think he was marveling at how much the atmosphere had changed since he was last in DKR.
This has to be it. As far as other sports are concerned we've sat next to Colt and his wife at a basketball game and we've walked into the Disch at the same time Colt and his son were walking in.

You overthought that list. The category was “best Tom Hanks movies” and Forest Gump was the best movie on that list. Saving Private Ryan would be ranked right there by many (not by others), but the majority of those flicks aren’t at the same level.

For example, I agree that Big is the quintessential Tom Hanks movie, but it isn’t a better movie than Forest Gump.
I just disagree strongly about being the best movie on the list.

Its Oscar win is seen as one of the biggest mistakes in cinematic history.

• Haha
Reactions: NTxHorn3423
Damn, Ketch. You brought it tonight with #1. Close to 20 years on OB, and that narrative over my time was powerful. Love it! My word for the season is depth, and for that, I think of ‘05 too.

Reactions: Ketchum
This is easily the second best team. If VY didn’t exist, it would easily be the best team. 2008 was a far cry from this team overall. It was gritty with a great QB and some great WR.

This team is DOMINANT.

This team is BETTER player for player than 2005. VY is the only difference.

Now they have to do it on the field.
You do realize 2005 offense avg’d 50 ppg

Honestly, for such a great volume of movies to work with that’s a pretty terrible top 10.
Take A Bow Thank You GIF by Iliza Shlesinger

Big is the movie that defines his career IMO.
There have been a lot of adults who have played kids - Freaky Friday, 13 Going On 30, etc. etc.

Hanks freaking nailed it on Big. A great performance. Before that he was pretty much only seen as a comedian, but Big was way more than merely funny.

Reactions: Rockhornfan
I can set my watch on you seizing on any moment where Card doesn't have a good game. ;)
Now Ketch, you think that folks give you a hard time about GG…but we also remember your insisting that Hudson had “elite arm talent”. So that is kinda on you amigo.

Damn, Ketch. You brought it tonight with #1. Close to 20 years on OB, and that narrative over my time was powerful. Love it! My word for the season is depth, and for that, I think of ‘05 too.
Thanks!

There have been a lot of adults who have played kids - Freaky Friday, 13 Going On 30, etc. etc.

Hanks freaking nailed it on Big. A great performance. Before that he was pretty much only seen as a comedian, but Big was way more than merely funny.
His first Oscar nom.

Now Ketch, you think that folks give you a hard time about GG…but we also remember your insisting that Hudson had “elite arm talent”. So that is kinda on you amigo.
He does have elite arm talent. He's not a good player right now. That's his issue.

It's an interesting movie to discuss.

I'm not sure that it stands the test of time like some others.

Look at his career before Philadelphia then look at it after. Philadelphia is a watershed movie in his career. Not sure what test of time you think it fails.

Reactions: marinehorn
Look at his career before Philadelphia then look at it after. Philadelphia is a watershed movie in his career. Not sure what test of time you think it fails.
It's a movie with a lot of problems.

Hanks is great in it, but the movie itself has all kinds of questionable areas.

How do you not even mention the Hanks movie where he’s stuck in the airport??? (I suck at remembering movie names) but that was a damn good movie

Reactions: 60
I guess you and I will never agree on this, and that’s fine. Fifty years from now people will still be watching Forest Gump. Big will die with us.

I think it's a movie that older white people overrate because it's such a boomer movie.

I've listened to young people talk about it on a bunch of different movie podcasts and it's kind of treated like a joke in a lot of ways.

• Haha
Reactions: NTxHorn3423
Rolling Stone Magazne's Tp 10.

1. Apollo 13
2. Big
3. Sully
4. Sleepless in Seattle
5. Splash
6. Philadelphia
7. Captain Phillips
8. Catch Me if You can
9. Castaway
10. Forest Gump

I think it's a movie that older white people overrate because it's such a boomer movie.

I've listened to young people talk about it on a bunch of different movie podcasts and it's kind of treated like a joke in a lot of ways.

That’s like hating on Stairway IMO. Some people have to hate on something to pump themselves up.

Fifty years on, Forest Gump will still be a movie that captured a huge swath of life in an interesting time. Big will simply be a footnote apart from people actively studying Tom Hanks.

The category was best movie, not quintessential Tom Hanks movie. I enjoyed Big. It was quintessential Tom Hanks. It’s simply not an all-timer.

That’s like hating on Stairway IMO. Some people have to hate on something to pump themselves up.

Fifty years on, Forest Gump will still be a movie that captured a huge swath of life in an interesting time. Big will simply be a footnote apart from people actively studying Tom Hanks.

The category was best movie, not quintessential Tom Hanks movie. I enjoyed Big. It was quintessential Tom Hanks. It’s simply not an all-timer.
I've seen both movies in the last year.

There's no question in my mind that Big is the better movie.

Unless I missed it, I can’t believe it took to page five before Bachelor Party was mentioned. Not a top 10 probably but would’ve been under consideration.

Edit: I missed it being mentioned on page two.

@60

Here are some other Hanks lists on the Internet. Big vs. Forest

Rolling Stone: 10 (Forest) vs. 2 (Big)
Esquire: 6 (Forest) vs. 4 (Big)
The Guardian 3 (Forest) vs. 8 (Big)
Colllider: 8 (Forest vs. 1 (Big)

Every list will have both in the top 10. There's no strong consensus from what I can tell on random rankings I've looked. Flip a coin from list to list.

Reactions: 60