Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting Humpty Dumpty Back Together Again)

Texas losing players to the portal is a major concern if they bomb out. What would happen if Ohio State or Alabama told Bijan or Worthy they have a starting spot for them? Frankly we have no other players an elite team may be interested in.

Those upper echelon teams are going to clean up in the portal. Alabama will be using almost every program in the country as their farm system. It’s going to separate the few top programs even more from all the others.

Gets it.

Over the last year, I never commented on the Top 10 list. This season is so bad, I have nothing else to comment upon.

I know Yellowstone is not a movie, but even without it being a movie, it should be ahead of many of the other Costner movies because his movie acting resume is thinner than airline coffee. Some people loved Dances with Wolves, I am not one of them, but will keep it in the 'top 10'.

I find Costner frequently comes across as a whiner that I find irritating. His voice often rises at the end of sentences like a sorority girl so he does not deliver a strong statement.

He was even a bit of a whiner in Field of Dreams, but I liked the movie tremendously. For me Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and Tin Cup are all great movies and possibly Tin Cup is the best, but I had to move it to #3 simply due to the subject matter.

10. Dances With Wolves
9. Yellowstone S4
8. Yellowstone S3
7. Yellowstone S2
6. Yellowstone S1
5. The Untouchables
4. Wyatt Earp
3. Tin Cup
2. Field of Dreams
1. Bull Durham

Please clarify for me the qualities of Card because at this point I'm totally confused. Seems like during the recruiting process he was deemed very much a plus-athlete who also had a big arm. Then I read people on here talk about how he's not a mobile QB. Can you re-summarize what we were supposedly getting with him. Not saying that as a dig, just wanting a history refresher. But to the quote, for sure he has a deer in the headlights look.
He's a plus athlete (although we haven't seen it yet) with an unreal arm talent.

Those things do not assure a guy of succeeding and he's showing that his talent isn't enough.

Like I mentioned last week, I was one of the first to question Sark's puzzling ability to get certain guys the ball. Back then it was Keilan Robinson, who for whatever odd ball reason has fallen off the earth.
I don't get it. It shouldn't be rocket science.

Boy, I brought that topic up Saturday evening and folks were none too happy about it. LOL. In the end you are probably right, but quite honestly, he EASILY has the most to lose by staying on a sh*tty team running behind a sh*ttier OL. If asked me I most certainly tell him at a minimum he might want to think things through thoroughly because clearly he would have a LOT of options should he wish to portal. Like Bama and tOSU level options.
Both will reach out IMO.

Hope it works out for him, but honestly, this would be a bit easier to swallow if he were a true frosh. But he's not. He looks overwhelmed the moment he steps on the field it appears. As much as we hate Baker Mayfield, it might not be a coincidence that he wasn't touted as some sort of "chosen one" out of LT and clearly he grew up in the role of underdog which has served him well in becoming a fabulous CFB player and now starting in the NFL. Meanwhile, two guys who were annointed as such haven't exactly been poster kids for handling adversity well. Gilbert, and eat least early, Card.
Fair point.

Couple of trivial tidbits.
1. I'm sure you know, but he's "Alex" on The Big Chill. Unfortunately he only made the cutting room floor.
2. He's a frat rat in Night Shift starting Henry Winkler and Micheal Keaton. Which, if you have never seen is pretty dang funny.

An underrated, off the radar film pre-Untouchables is American Flyer. In fact, per his credits, it was only his second lead role and the one preceding Untouchables.

Not sure how Open Range doesn't make the top 10.

What's odd to me about Costner, is that as much as I like him as an actor, I've never gotten caught up in the Field of Dreams stuff, and never have bothered to see Bull Durham. Granted, I'm not a real big baseball guy.

I also think Draft Day is pretty underrated.
I have a weird history with Costner in that I am a fan, but I have some interesting blind spots.

a. I didn't know he was Alex. Kind of blows my mind.
b. Never seen Night Shift, but I know it has a strong rep.
c. Owned Open Range on DVD, watched it once and never returned to it.
d. I can't understand not seeing Bull Durham. It's an all-timer.
e. Never seen Draft Day and I don't know why. 🤷‍♂️

a case can be made for euthanizing Humpty Dumpty….
yikes-jim-halpert.gif

• Haha
Reactions: duqu
I got that. Unfortunately, that's literally all a win does at this point. Beating KU does nothing appreciably. It's not as if Kam and Campbell are going leave after a KU win thinking, "boy, NOW they've things cooking."
I don't disagree.

Again, the basketball blue bloods have already shown the blueprint. Interesting watching football people "grapple" with figuring out how this thing will go.
Not the sharpest tools in the toolbox when it comes to proactive change.

Over the last year, I never commented on the Top 10 list. This season is so bad, I have nothing else to comment upon.

I know Yellowstone is not a movie, but even without it being a movie, it should be ahead of many of the other Costner movies because his movie acting resume is thinner than airline coffee. Some people loved Dances with Wolves, I am not one of them, but will keep it in the 'top 10'.

I find Costner frequently comes across as a whiner that I find irritating. His voice often rises at the end of sentences like a sorority girl so he does not deliver a strong statement.

He was even a bit of a whiner in Field of Dreams, but I liked the movie tremendously. For me Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and Tin Cup are all great movies and possibly Tin Cup is the best, but I had to move it to #3 simply due to the subject matter.

10. Dances With Wolves
9. Yellowstone S4
8. Yellowstone S3
7. Yellowstone S2
6. Yellowstone S1
5. The Untouchables
4. Wyatt Earp
3. Tin Cup
2. Field of Dreams
1. Bull Durham
I like your list.

I have a weird history with Costner in that I am a fan, but I have some interesting blind spots.

a. I didn't know he was Alex. Kind of blows my mind.
b. Never seen Night Shift, but I know it has a strong rep.
c. Owned Open Range on DVD, watched it once and never returned to it.
d. I can't understand not seeing Bull Durham. It's an all-timer.
e. Never seen Draft Day and I don't know why. 🤷‍♂️

If you aren’t a baseball person it’s easy understand IMO.

Regarding Wyatt Earp V Tombstone, and I have no real dog in the fight, but literally every appreciable metric, from box office to critic ratings, gives the easy W to Tombstone. And it’s always been that way

Reactions: Dal_Horn
If you aren’t a baseball person it’s easy understand IMO.

Regarding Wyatt Earp V Tombstone, and I have no real dog in the fight, but literally every appreciable metric, from box office to critic ratings, gives the easy W to Tombstone. And it’s always been that way
AS you know all too well, sometimes being right means being unpopular. It's not always easy. ;)

I can't believe we are still talking about elite recruits.

How about we take decent recruits and make them solid dependable players? Baylor does. Okie State does. Arky does. ISU does. Hell, Minnesota does.

But here we are with a converted WR leading our team in solo tackles because nobody on the front 7 (except #0) can fight off a block.

I'd love to know the last time we played a decent team that we had more sacks than we gave up?
Texas would rather have elite recruits and fire/hire coaches until one of them can win immediately.

Hey Ketch - can you give us a rundown on what’s going on in the locker room?

What about the not having any other players ready to go part?
Exactly! Goodness. Don't they have like 15 wide outs on the team? Surely a couple of them can play? At least a little. If not at least half of them need to find a new home next year.

Hey Ketch - can you give us a rundown on what’s going on in the locker room?
A number of players have been late to various kinds of meetings (and such) all season long, but it hit new levels last week, which caused Sark to address the team about it. It's not a locker room on the same page at this point.

What a rant!

What's amazing about the 4th and 11 is that Sark had a 4th and 2 in much better field position on Saturday and he punted.
Well thank you sir!!!!!! 🤘🏻It’s true though. People just need to shut up sometimes and I’m calling all out

"tmoney121212 said:

Texas overpaid and added too many years on Sark’s contract cause they f$&@ed themselves on the Urban situation and couldn’t go back to Herman?

(Buy) Of course."

I don't understand this question and response at all.

Oddball question, has a head coach ever been demoted to coordinator and a new head guy brought in? Just curious.
I’ve been wondering the same thing. May be our best option - hard to believe but looking deep at Sark’s past HC - nothing there bodes anything positive for our future. Nothing.

Reactions: Number-5