Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Putting Humpty Dumpty Back Together Again)

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

The burnt orange Humpty Dumpty needs to be put back together again.

With three games to go in a season that has gone off the rails from a wins and losses standpoint, no matter how much of a moral victory it might sound like, the 2021 Texas Longhorns have to find a way to limit the damage that is being done.

The Kansas game matters. Same with West Virginia. Yup, Kansas State, too.

Although I'm less than 100 words into this week's column, I can feel a number of you rolling your eyes and wanting to hit the eject button. Believe me, I get it. The last thing I want to do is tell you that a game against the 1-8 Jayhawks in the pursuit of getting to .500 is some kind of monumental affair when it's far from the truth.

Yet, it's critical that the Longhorns stop bleeding out as a program.

The last week was a brutal collection of body blows against what Steve Sarkisian is trying to build. Whatever any of us might think about Monkey-Gate, it hasn't been an insignificant issue in the athletic department. Meanwhile, you've got a team that isn't on the same page, as evidenced by the fact that Sarkisian needed to talk to the team about its commitment in the middle of the week, which was followed three days later by a three-touchdown loss on the road.

Winning can't cure everything, but it helps. In the short-term, Texas needs to end this losing streak and more than qualifying for a bowl game, it needs to find a way to create some late-season momentum. Somehow ... some way ... Texas needs to win these final three games and climb its way to a 7-5 record. Then it needs to win a bowl game and climb its way to an 8-5 record.

Recruits are watching and the Longhorns have to find a way to give the elite of the elite a reason to play in Austin. On a weekend when the Longhorns lost their way in Ames, its in-state rival in College Station was operating with a completely different vibe. Meanwhile, those folks in Norman aren't exactly floundering, either.

If the 2023 recruiting class is going to be anything other than an in-state bloodbath, Sarkisian has to find a way to work some late-season magic to create as many favorable optics as possible. It cannot be stressed enough how critical salvaging the rest of this season is for the program. It's going to be incredibly problematic if it doesn't occur.

From a long-term standpoint, Sarkisian needs to become obsessed with improving the roster by any means needed ... starting right now.

This is a roster that will actually look worse when the season ends and Sarkisian has needs that go beyond simply fixing the offensive line. More than winning over elite recruits in 2023, the ability to convince the best talent in the portal to come to Austin might be the thing that ultimately determines whether Sarkisian's program can get off the ground before the pressure surrounding him swallows everyone whole.

That's not hyperbole. That's me acknowledging that next season must represent real improvement or everything that folks were worried about with Herman and recruiting is going to happen to Sarkisian.

It starts with Saturday against Kansas. Before the burnt orange Humpty Dumpty can be pieced together again, he has to stop breaking apart.

Starting immediately, there's a lot of work to do.

No. 2 - About Sark's quarterback problems ...

Let's start with Hudson Card.

As the president of Card's Fan Club, an acknowledgement needs to be made that for the second time this season when trailing on the road, the freshman from Austin has looked more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

He's not ready for prime time. Maybe we've all tried to cheat his learning curve out of need, but all the arm talent he has doesn't make for plus-quarterback play if his brain is in meltdown-mode because it's all a little too fast, too soon for him. To be fair to Card, he likely hasn't received many quality reps in practice with the starters in the last two months, but he's not even flashing as a player.

The smart move at this point probably has Sarkisian playing Casey Thompson as his starter for the next three weeks, even if Sarkisian has seen enough in the last six weeks to believe that he's more like the quarterback he rejected in August than the player he went all-in with during September.

One of the big calls that Sarkisian is going to have to make very soon is whether he truly believes that his starter in 2022 will come from the Thompson/Card combo. Given that Card has been an excellent practice player, but pretty lackluster to say the least when the lights are brightest, I haven't got the slightest clue how Card can rebuild the confidence that Sarkisian has lost in him. Meanwhile, Thompson's consistency issues are such that everyone will need to be careful if he catches heat in the final three games of the season.

It'll be fascinating moving forward to see how Sarkisian juggles both quarterbacks with the reality of needing to hit the portal in hopes of finding an upgrade.

No. 3 - Saying the quiet part out loud ...

Although we didn't see a lot of this in the first full year or the Portal in college football, be prepared for the reality of very good players entering the portal this off-season in the name of exploring opportunities that might lead them to having better opportunities to win.

For programs that struggle to compete among the elite, it's going to be increasingly difficult to hold on to their best players if they feel like spending the rest of their careers with the schools that they signed with is going to be a waste of time from a competing for championships standpoint.

The portal is a pathway for the rich to get richer, but it's going to prove to be an ominous cloud for programs that don't play in the elite programs sandbox.

Texas needs to close this season out with a bang because it needs to protect its most valuable players on the roster.

No. 4 - The Whittington factor ...

The Longhorns really, really, really, really miss Jordan Whittington at wide receiver.

Since injuring his clavicle against Oklahoma in the fourth quarter, the Texas passing game has regressed on a weekly basis.

How bad have things been?

Prior to his injury, Texas quarterbacks had posted a 162.9 quarterback efficiency rating, but in the three games since his injury, Texas quarterbacks have combined for a 129 efficiency rating. To put that in perspective, a 162.9 rating would currently rank third in the Big 12, while a 129 would rank 11th by a full 10 points.

Receivers on the roster not named Xavier Worthy combined for three catches for 40 yards on Saturday night in Ames and the player responsible for catching two of those passes missed the first quarter as punishment for what happened with his head coach in the middle of the week.

Not good.

No. 5 - Scattershooting on the Longhorns ...

... I can't believe that D'Shawn Jamison has 22 combined punt/kickoff returns this season and he hasn't taken one to the house. He's due ... right?

... One of the quietly interesting parts of Saturday was the continued increasing playing time for Jahdae Barron in the Texas secondary. Although he wasn't perfect, I thought he showed some exciting promise in his time on the field.

... Jaylan Ford took a fair share of snaps away from DeMarvion Overshown on Saturday before Overshown's injury, which kind of blew my mind because I'm not sure taking your best defensive player off the field in the name of getting Ford more playing time is what I would have been looking to do.

... I was somewhat flabbergasted that Texas didn't go out of its way to get the ball to Xavier Worthy more than it did on Saturday. Why not run the play that went for a touchdown a couple more times? Sarkisian should be doing everything possible to both get him the ball and get him the ball in space. Not sure that happened at all.

... Don't shoot the messenger, but a case can be made that Baylor's Abran Smith should make the All-Big 12 team at running back ahead of Bijan Robinson. While they are roughly tied in both yards per game and touchdowns, Smith is currently averaging 1.5 more yards per carry than Robinson and is on the better team.

... Cameron Dicker had a pretty good night punting the football in Ames with four of his 11 punts being downed inside the 20-yard line, but his season average dropped two full yards on the night and suddenly he's no longer having the single greatest season any punter at Texas has ever enjoyed. It's close to what Michael Dickson did in his best season at Texas, but before Saturday Dicker was pretty clearly ahead.

... Texas has 15 sacks in nine games. How on earth is this going to be fixed in the off-season?

No. 6 - How rough was this weekend on the 40 Acres? ...

The No. 1-ranked volleyball team lost for the first time all season to a Baylor squad that entered the game with five losses.

It was just one of those weekends ...

\No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) I've not heard any reason to think he's in danger of leaving, but I believe there are other key returning starters on paper that are and will. Perhaps I'm being naive, though. How this season ends will likely matter a lot.

(Sell) I think the number is probably two, but I wouldn't be shocked if the number is higher. I think we'll see a third or even a fourth added for depth (see linebacker this year).

(Buy) Texas can't go into the SEC without momentum.

(Buy) I don't know that either record is more likely than 6-6 or 5-7, but I do believe 7-5 is more likely than 4-8.

(Buy) Of course.

(Buy) Anyone talking Big 12 Championship right now in 2022 needs to be kicked in the privates.

(Sell) lulz. That feels like a banana in the tailpipe.

(Sell) It's way too early to judge Card. He's still a puppy, but I will admit to being nervous.

(Buy) 20 percent is about right. Losing is not good for business.

(Sell) Texas has natural recruiting resources that Nebraska will never have and that alone keeps them from being remotely the same.

(Sell) They'll need a quarterback.

(Buy) Moore is a starting player that was suspended for the first quarter because of what happened. It was news and anyone denying it or refusing to report on it isn't really in the news business.

(Sell) This team is better than any of Charlie's teams, but that's such a low bar.

(Sell) I don't believe that any of those are major issues. It's just excuse-making in my mind.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the sports weekend ...

... Texas A&M salvaging its season with a back-up quarterback is as bad for the Texas program right now as the four-game losing streak. The Aggies have moved ahead.

... Brock Purdy is just a guy. Iowa State gave Texas every chance to run away in that game with a halfway decent offense.

... Of course Michigan State ate the cheese one week after beating Michigan. You could see that coming from a mile away.

.... I guess Jaxon Smith-Njigba was worth an offer.

.... TCU's Chandler Morris looked pretty freaking good against Baylor as the replacement at starting quarterback. The kid has some moxie

... Kansas State's Skyler Thompson has emerged into a really good college quarterback. He's going to be a problem in a few weeks.

... Really could have done without the Cowboys and Liverpool both playing like crap on Sunday.

... It was kind of weird seeing Caden Sterns, Devin Duvernay and Colt McCoy all play like bad-ass pros after the night in Ames. It was a really good day for former Texas players in the NFL.

... What a weird day in the NFL. Up was down and down was up, all day.

... Jacksonville's Josh Allen >>> Buffalo's Josh Allen.

... Austin FC's season is complete and they weren't the worst team in the MLS. Suck on that, haters!

No. 9 - Top 10 Kevin Costner movies ...

View attachment 1698

With the return of Yellowstone on Sunday night, I thought it might be a good time to rank my Top 10 Costner movies.

I'm curious to see the responses to this one,

10. Waterworld
9. The Bodyguard
8. Silverado
7. A Perfect World
6. Dances With Wolves
5. Tin Cup
4. The Untouchables
3. Wyatt Earp
2. Field of Dreams
1. Bull Durham

No. 10 - And Finally...

Basketball season starts this week. Thank goodness for Chris Beard.
Ok I have something to get off my chest. First of all, @Ketchum great article as always and yes thank god for chris beard because he’s doing all the right things.
Ladies and gentlemen of Longhorn Nation, my Longhorn nation brothers and sisters, I love you guys but what I’m about to say is going to be a Stephen A Smith type of moment but will most of the “Horns Fans”, “Texas Fans” (such a bastard term these days) and most of the Austin media (looking at you Kirk Bohls and then some) please shut the hell up and just wait for once in your damn lives. Let me tell you why
Right now I got issues with Sark too but I look at the facts. And right now, Sark is a shitty play caller who can’t handle the pressure. Two 4th and 11s. One against OU and one against Baylor

I want to talk quickly about the one against Baylor because the OU one I believe is the one that changed everything

DONT EVER ON 4TH AND 11 STEVEN, GO FOR A FAKE PASS WITH YOUR KICKER!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Don’t remember the rest I’ll have to watch the film again or the game again but regardless you almost put our best kicker in danger. now onto the elephant in the room

4th and 11 against OU not a lot of time left in the game, tied 28 with OU in Dallas. In field goal rage. Yes I get it OU stormed back and defense looked gassed. But did you ever seriously consider that Maybe kicking the FG and taking the lead would’ve inspired our defense, woke them up and given them one more drive to wake up and get the stop to get a big win? To me what that tells me Steven (yes I’m calling you Steven Sarky boy and I do not give a damn) you don’t believe in your defense. I believe that is what is happening. You literally with that call right there especially after your defense did well weeks prior told your defense, **** you i don’t believe in you. You are a dumbass for that Steven and that’s exactly why this team has gotten blown out twice and has no heart. Yes the defense is not good right now but I’m not gonna entirely blame them.

Let’s talk about how you’re putting blame on everybody but the O-Line for our superstar RB not getting the ball. From all that I’ve seen, you haven’t criticized the O-Line once. Oh the reason why offense is struggling is Casey? Casey Thompson is not the problem. Yes since J-Whitt went out Casey has not been the same but Casey Thompson is 100 percent not the problem. He’s been fine. Hudson card is not any better ladies and gentlemen. He can’t handle prime time. He either A. looks like a scared puppydog or B. He looks like he’s in LaLa Land probably he’s thinking about the things young freshmen in college do. But when it comes to Bijan (such a stupid thing to wonder, we got to get Bijan the ball) it’s easy, Give him the ****ing ball. Work on the O-Line and boom. Wasting such a superstar talent.
see for me I don’t know who’s to blame And quite honestly I don’t care but what I do know is while I do have my questions about Sark, I’m not gonna do it based on just wins and losses, I’m doing it based on what led to them. And those two calls right now (there’s been more but those are the two notable ones) and what I’m seeing in pressers is exactly all I need to see.

however if he finds a way to finish strong this season or good enough I’ll give him another chance to see what we can do next year.
which brings me to my next point

Ladies and gentlemen, this program is broken has been broken for the last 12 years. Everyone including this fan base is the reason why. And here is exactly why. We’re spoiled. We’re spoiled and when things don’t go our way, we bitch and moan about it and we bitch and moan about it until we get our way. But that is what’s killing this program. I get it during the Glory days of Mack Brown we were on top of the world making nattys and top echelon bowl games, but then we collapsed in his final years here, we hired a shitty AD in Patterson and he destroyed the program from within.
But here’s where the boosters need to shut their damn mouths and us as a fan base need to wake uo, with our little brat attitudes, Believe it or not Aggy is winning right now because they may be stupid oh believe me they are stupid. I can’t stand OU but I can’t stand Aggy more but here’s where I’ll give Aggy credit, at least they’re patient. They may be stupid but they are patient. And it’s paying off. They are in year I don’t even know of Jimbos time in CStat but they’ve gotten Big wins over Bama and Auburn and they are looking better. Guys, we are smarter and we know better. If we want Texas to be “back” then we all need to shut up and be patient. The boosters need to back the hell off. Because what’s really sad is nothing is ever good enough and this may come off as me defending Tom Herman and it kind of is but it’s to prove my point

Tom Herman loses his first game as Texas HC inheriting a losing product, oh let’s throw garbage all over the field and be gone with Tom Herman. Exhibit A of Our stupidity, even after the first game of a new coach, we want him gone.
Tom Herman won 4 bowl games one of them a Major NY6 bowl, 4 winning seasons and yes don’t remind me about no B12 titles I get it but he still did fine. Yet it’s still not good enough. Exhibit B of our spoiled attitudes.

when are we all going to wake up, shut the hell up and just accept that until we stop being spoiled, Texas will never be quote on quote “back”. Now I know some idiot old schooler out there right now is looking for a way to downgrade my intelligence and say i don’t know about the glory days

believe it or not I do,
VY
COLT
THE 2005 natty that We still act like we live in those days
Earl Campbell
Ricky
Major
Simms
Many more

the question is do you live in reality? Do you look at the facts because I damn sure do

hence why I made this point this morning
Now I will be watching Saturday nights game against KU. Because I still love my University especially Hoops first then football and then I will be watching Coach Beard, AJ1, MC2 and the fellas in Spokane with their first big test of the year against Zaga. Remember what I said, I love most of y’all, to the ones who can’t wake up well wake up

hook em forever and always

p.S: Natty is coming for both Hoops teams
Believe that

Last edited:
It's the GOAT golf movie competing with caddy shack, has to be top 2 for me of his.

You mean competing for second place on Goat list, right???

Has to be the case, unless you consider Happy Gilmore as something besides a golf movie.

It seems Ketch has written several times that there have been points in the season where the program was at a crossroads.

And given the current situation, Sark has failed at every one of them.

One of the big calls that Sarkisian is going to have to make very soon is whether he truly believes that his starter in 2022 will come from the Thompson/Card combo. Given that Card has been an excellent practice player, but pretty lackluster to say the least when the lights are brightest, I haven't got the slightest clue how Card can rebuild the confidence that Sarkisian has lost in him. Meanwhile, Thompson's consistency issues are such that everyone will need to be careful if he catches heat in the final three games of the season.

giphy-40-1589810118.gif

I firmly believe we were all duped with the naming of Sarkisian as head coach. His history as HC is barely better than mediocre, if even that. He has VERY OBVIOUSLY lost this team. All of his bullshit about “all gas, no brakes” just refers to his all gas. It would make perfect sense for Bijan and Worthy to both go in the portal, there is no hope for their development under the current circumstances in Austin.CDC made a terrible mistake with this hire. It would take approximately 40 mil to get this staff the hell out of town. That would be a cheap investment compared to the long term damage this group of losers will inflict on the program. I am not saying this because he constantly beats us like a rag doll, but Matt Campbell is the perfect choice for the future of Texas football. He is young, talented and a tremendous football coach. CDC needs to go money whip him until he says yes.

@Ketchum, Fandango has to be in Kevin Costner's top 10 movies if for no other reason than it's about a group of kids making a road trip after graduating from UT to dig up a bottle of champagne on the Rio Grande and because it's a damn funny movie.

I don't know which scene is funnier:

Besides all that it's one of Costner's first movies where he played the lead and helped put him on the map.
A budy of mine named Glen Sledd (family owns Sledd Nursey) loved that movie when we went to McCallum.

Reactions: magnahorn
@Ketchum two buy or sells:

1. Jeff Banks personal history (leaving wife and two kids for a stripper) is being used against him in recruiting and is making it hard for him to be a “rainmaker” as you told us he was multiple times.

2. Buy or sell: It’s better for Texas to not go into the SEC until later to give us more time to get our house in order?

@Ketchum one last buy or sell:

1. Coaches like Jimbo and Saban don’t have to deal with players being Kate for practices or meetings because there’s a level of respect that our players don’t have for Sark?

Ketch, as a movie buff and Costner fan I have to take issue with your #3, “Wyatt Earp”. Have you seen “No Way Out”? Though it has more of a B-movie feel compared to the big-budget Earp, it’s a much better flick (with a great twist at the end). Though released after “The Untouchables”, it was actually filmed before that movie, before Kevin had made it to the A-list. IMHO Earp doesn’t belong on that list, No Way Out does. Hook ‘em!
Totally disagree.

• Angry
Reactions: bevo barry
I am concerned about what's going on between Sark and the players. I noticed many, including Casey, wouldn't look him in the eye when he was talking to them on the sideline.

This team needs a win. Wins. Plural.

jfk. Agree or disagree with Oliver Stone’s theory a darn good movie and Costner was superb especially the closing arguments scene
agreed. It's been a long time since I've watched it.

More discussion about movies versus the Longhorns, What does that tell you? It does appear that Sark has lost the locker room. I suspect the only way to win back the locker room is with a significant number of transfers who are team leaders and more concerned with winning than anything else.
To be fair, we argue about movies every week, even when the times are good.... which isn't often. :(

Reactions: Horn1515
I'm not arguing, I'm sincerely asking, but other than some VERY notable QB's from GA and Bama, what program changing guys have made a splash thru the portal?

I just can think of anyone like Xavier who has left a big program because the team underperformed.

Not saying it can't or won't happen, but has there been much evidence of really good guys leaving that didn't lose their starting jobs to someone else?
It's a looming issue across the sport.