ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend - Putting the T(rust) back in Texas

Franklin was my choice for coach because...he seemed very organized, detail oriented and had a certain zest for the game and his players. I have to believe that the cloud that hung over him - and who knows the truth of the matter from this distance - kept him from the job at Texas.
His offense was viewed as a concern.

His offense was viewed as a concern.

I did not know that. What I saw was a Vanderbilt program that won games and had the fan base and players excited. Under his leadership, they were competitive. From Wikipedia I offer the following:

"Franklin led Vanderbilt to a bowl game all three of his seasons as head coach at Vanderbilt, a team that had never previously participated in a bowl game in consecutive seasons. In his second season (2012), the Commodores finished 9–4 and ranked in both the Associated Press and USA Today end-of-season coaches' top 25 for the first time since 1948 (and the first ranking in any week since 2008). It was just the third nine-win season in school history. Additionally, Vanderbilt's fifteen combined wins in Franklin's first two years in charge was the Commodores' highest total since 1926–1927.[11] In his third season at Vanderbilt, the Commodores again finished 9–4 and were ranked in the AP and USA TODAY top 25 poll. Franklin finished his Vanderbilt career with a record of 24–15 (an average of 8 wins per year)."

Reactions: PaulieD
Tell me what you liked about it.

GM
About Manchester by the Sea?

* The acting in the movie was terrific. I'm a Case Affleck fan and I thought he gave a superstar's performance. The entire cast was stellar.

* The directing and the story was outstanding. When the biggest reveal of the movie is made, it answered the biggest question in the movie and it just punched me in the gut.

* Without giving away any spoilers, the movie doesn't bend to a heart-warming conclusion. It's real.

* It's an emotional powerhouse.

From Peter Travers of Rolling Stone, who gave it 4 out of 4 stars:

"You can't really prepare yourself for the emotional powerhouse that is Manchester by the Sea. And you shouldn't let big-mouth critics and friends tell you too much about what's ahead in writer-director Kenneth Lonergan's transcendent benchmark. No film this year has moved me more with its humor, heart and humanity.

I did not know that. What I saw was a Vanderbilt program that won games and had the fan base and players excited. Under his leadership, they were competitive. From Wikipedia I offer the following:

"Franklin led Vanderbilt to a bowl game all three of his seasons as head coach at Vanderbilt, a team that had never previously participated in a bowl game in consecutive seasons. In his second season (2012), the Commodores finished 9–4 and ranked in both the Associated Press and USA Today end-of-season coaches' top 25 for the first time since 1948 (and the first ranking in any week since 2008). It was just the third nine-win season in school history. Additionally, Vanderbilt's fifteen combined wins in Franklin's first two years in charge was the Commodores' highest total since 1926–1927.[11] In his third season at Vanderbilt, the Commodores again finished 9–4 and were ranked in the AP and USA TODAY top 25 poll. Franklin finished his Vanderbilt career with a record of 24–15 (an average of 8 wins per year)."
The job he did at Vandy was stunning.

Wait one damn minute, James Franklin being a better coach than Charlie is debatable. No where near a a foregone conclusion. I don't Remember any James Franklin team that could come close to Strong at Louisville.

Wait one damn minute, James Franklin being a better coach than Charlie is debatable. No where near a a foregone conclusion. I don't Remember any James Franklin team that could come close to Strong at Louisville.
No, it's really not.

One has never been above one game over .500 in a season without a first round quarterback. The other has built his success on never having such a thing.

No, it's really not.

One has never been above one game over .500 in a season without a first round quarterback. The other has built his success on never having such a thing.

Plus consider the level of competition. Franklin coached in the SEC when it was much better than it is now.
Consider the teams Louisville played. There in lies the answer.

About Manchester by the Sea?

* The acting in the movie was terrific. I'm a Case Affleck fan and I thought he gave a superstar's performance. The entire cast was stellar.

* The directing and the story was outstanding. When the biggest reveal of the movie is made, it answered the biggest question in the movie and it just punched me in the gut.

* Without giving away any spoilers, the movie doesn't bend to a heart-warming conclusion. It's real.

* It's an emotional powerhouse.

From Peter Travers of Rolling Stone, who gave it 4 out of 4 stars:

"You can't really prepare yourself for the emotional powerhouse that is Manchester by the Sea. And you shouldn't let big-mouth critics and friends tell you too much about what's ahead in writer-director Kenneth Lonergan's transcendent benchmark. No film this year has moved me more with its humor, heart and humanity.

Thanks. I cannot argue with any of that especially point 2. But, for some reason neither my wife or I liked it much. We saw it yesterday and I am still thinking about it though.

GM

The other has built his success on never having such a thing.
No, it's really not.

And that's what really got my attention. If Franklin could do that at Vanderbilt - the Harvard of the South - what could he do at Texas? I thought it would have been a good move by Texas to hire the guy. Plus, he is a high energy guy that get's others - including his players - excited about football and being the best.

I liked arrival but didn't think it was the best Movie I've seen this year. That would be Hacksaw Ridge. Moana is probably my second choice.

To some degree. It's hard not to notice this was the path Charlie chose.
Someone else may have brought this up already but one of the biggest issues Charlie had with his hiring was when he hired Wickline. At first everyone seemed to love that hire and it was at the very least outside of Charlie's known posse. However, Wickline never fit with the program or with the other coaches apparently. Perhaps he was sold a bill of goods that was not delivered on but whatever the case it was not a good fit and it cost us. I guess that also helps to not only trust Herman but to be thankful when he hires people that he knows fit into what he wants to do.

@Ketchum

I was surprised at just how good "Hell or High Water" was. I haven't seen the ones you listed before it, but "Manchester by the Sea" looks really good.

Hook'em

Coaches have pressure every year. Shaka will have pressure from his bosses but that pressure will not include having to worry about losing his job.

Thanks. I cannot argue with any of that especially point 2. But, for some reason neither my wife or I liked it much. We saw it yesterday and I am still thinking about it though.

GM
It's a movie that is begging for a different ending, but the fact that they didn't leave a ribbon and bow on it is part of what I liked. It was haunting throughout and then it ends without giving us our sugar.

I'm not sure the "like" is the emotion it wants to give us.

Someone else may have brought this up already but one of the biggest issues Charlie had with his hiring was when he hired Wickline. At first everyone seemed to love that hire and it was at the very least outside of Charlie's known posse. However, Wickline never fit with the program or with the other coaches apparently. Perhaps he was sold a bill of goods that was not delivered on but whatever the case it was not a good fit and it cost us. I guess that also helps to not only trust Herman but to be thankful when he hires people that he knows fit into what he wants to do.
except Wickline had worked with Strong before at Florida and there was thought to be a relationship there that wouldn't be a problem.

Wish Herman would offer Terrell Bernard - La Porte HS who is currently committed to UofH (gave his commitment while Herman was at UofH).

Bernard loves loves football and will never be outworked and playing at a high level every snap is very important to him. He's a streal as a 3-star IMO.

No holes on the roster? Ummm....no.

I still expect a good season

Tell me where you see the Horns being below average on their roster? That would be a hole.

I can see plenty of positions where they will be as good or better than any other team in the B12. Starting, for the first time in a decade, with play on both sides of the line.

Reactions: llanojohn
Also on Jarrett Allen, many NBA scouting services now see him as a 3-year player at Texas. Expect to see that opinion hit the draft projection websites as the season comes to a close after CHRISTmas break.

Willie Taggart had eight wins in 2015 and 10 wins this season. Strong will not face the same pressure he did at Texas, but if he can win eight games a year, he can coach at USF forever.

Strong has everything he wants to be successful as soon as he steps on campus.

It will be fun to follow knowing he can't ruin my season by Week 3.

Reactions: Smootus and txfight
It's a movie that is begging for a different ending, but the fact that they didn't leave a ribbon and bow on it is part of what I liked. It was haunting throughout and then it ends without giving us our sugar.

I'm not sure the "like" is the emotion it wants to give us.

Good point.

GM

So Strong is inheriting "a loaded roster" at USF because of all the returning starters, but Herman is being given a free pass next year even though he is basically getting back the entire two deep?
Who is giving Herman a pass next year? I'd call next season an unmitigated failure if Herman doesn't win 8 games.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
ADVERTISEMENT