ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend - Putting the T(rust) back in Texas

Nah. I like football.

I just think coaches and actors should keep their views to themselves. Popovich is another one. He's undoubtedly a hall of fame coach. The shit that came out of his mouth about the election was so unnecessary. He's lost me forever. Couldn't watch the Spurs if they were in the finals.
I'm surprised that anyone GAS about the political leanings of celebrities, including coaches and players, as well as singers, actors, Kardashians, shock radio jocks, and reality show participants. I don't. Oh, wait! Well, maybe I'll start paying attention now since it appears one got elected Lt. Gov and one is president elect.

Hmmm. Rams fire Fisher - after giving him a contract extension? What the heck?
The extension apparently was something agreed to months ago, but they were afraid to announce it. For some reason, it got out last week, which makes it more than ironic that he was fired a week later.

The extension apparently was something agreed to months ago, but they were afraid to announce it. For some reason, it got out last week, which makes it more than ironic that he was fired a week later.
double - hmmmmm. Well, at least Eric D can get back on the sidelines for them ;-)

Wide receivers are loaded.

Young OL talent and maybe an Outland favorite in Connor Williams.

Love the talent on defense, other than what I think are mostly just ok inside guys.

Linebacker talent has never been better in terms of volume of talent.

Corners could be very strong.

Top 3 punter in America.
Come on Ketch, I was kidding. "So... everywhere?" sounds funnier than "So... everywhere but WR, O-Line, D-Line, LB and Punter?"

Maybe my stuff reads funnier in my head than on screen? Nah... I'm freaking hilarious.

Reactions: DanielSucks
Hey Ketch, can you explain CS's contract now that he is coaching for USF, is Texas still responsible for the 10 million left on his contract?

Come on Ketch, I was kidding. "So... everywhere?" sounds funnier than "So... everywhere but WR, O-Line, D-Line, LB and Punter?"

Maybe my stuff reads funnier in my head than on screen? Nah... I'm freaking hilarious.
ivb7Q.gif

Reactions: PaulieD
a. quarterback - Buechele was an improvement over what existed prior to him arriving, but he was still a guy that ranked outside of the top 50 by the end of the season.

b. running backs - Warren isn't a difference maker against elite teams IMO and the depth is concerning to say the least.

c. Tight ends - It's a bog need in this offense and Texas is lacking.

d. Interior line play/depth on both sides of the ball.

e. The entire kicking game outside of punter.

KETCH, we need emphasis on Special Teams, compete with Kansas State !

re-arranging: a+) Special Teams
a) Running Backs and bubble screens
b) Interior Line, DT, OG, OC
c) Tight End, offers out to 3
d) Kicking, one already accepted ; CC/ from Gulf Coasts CC Mississippi
e) QB, have Ehlinger coming on in January.

Because you said he is competing for a B12 in his second season, I assume you meant he would not be competing for one in his first season.
Wide receivers are loaded.

Young OL talent and maybe an Outland favorite in Connor Williams.

Love the talent on defense, other than what I think are mostly just ok inside guys.

Linebacker talent has never been better in terms of volume of talent.

Corners could be very strong.

Top 3 punter in America.

Booby Stoops wins B12 titles with the above almost every freakin year. Other than maybe Bama, every team has issues. I am certainly not going to say our 2017 team is a national title contender. It would take most every player on our roster hitting his ceiling for that to happen. But we shouldn't lose more than 2 B12 games next year. And I think we may get smoked by USC as well.

So if we lose more than three games next year....... well lets just say my supply of pitchforks and torches is only a storage building away. :)

Agreed on Hell or High Water. So West Texas. Acting was fabulous.
Filmed in New Mexico BTW. I saw the movie a couple of days after driving back from the Tech game. The scenery didn't look like Coleman and Post, which I had just driven through, so I waited for the credits at the end. One of my favorite movies of the year and they did get the West Texas vibe down.

Reactions: PaulieD
KETCH, we need emphasis on Special Teams, compete with Kansas State !

re-arranging: a+) Special Teams
a) Running Backs and bubble screens
b) Interior Line, DT, OG, OC
c) Tight End, offers out to 3
d) Kicking, one already accepted ; CC/ from Gulf Coasts CC Mississippi
e) QB, have Ehlinger coming on in January.
You underlined and wrote everything in bold to really drive your point home and I like that! But if you really want to be heard, you can't leave all-caps and Italics off the table.
BAM! CHECK THIS OUT! WAIT, I JUST WENT NEXT LEVEL WITH RED! I'M ON FIRE!!!! OH, SNAP, EXTRA EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!! KA-POW!!!!! ONAMATOPOEIA BABY!!!!!!

Seriously though, I've always been jealous of those programs where the announcer is obliged to say, "They really spend time on the special teams and it pays off" and then they list all the blocked punts, returned kicks, etc. It just seems like this phase of the game is way under coached. I know they only get so much time with the players for practice, but why a special teams designated coach take all the non-starters for 20 minutes a practice and work on that stuff. it's amazing how much a special teams play can change the momentum of a game.

Filmed in New Mexico BTW. I saw the movie a couple of days after driving back from the Tech game. The scenery didn't look like Coleman and Post, which I had just driven through, so I waited for the credits at the end. One of my favorite movies of the year and they did get the West Texas vibe down.
Much of New Mexico might as well be WestTexas

Because you said he is competing for a B12 in his second season, I assume you meant he would not be competing for one in his first season.

Booby Stoops wins B12 titles with the above almost every freakin year. Other than maybe Bama, every team has issues. I am certainly not going to say our 2017 team is a national title contender. It would take most every player on our roster hitting his ceiling for that to happen. But we shouldn't lose more than 2 B12 games next year. And I think we may get smoked by USC as well.

So if we lose more than three games next year....... well lets just say my supply of pitchforks and torches is only a storage building away. :)
So, if the team goes from consecutive 5-7 seasons to 8-4, you'll be pissed without, even without the specifics?

So Strong is inheriting "a loaded roster" at USF because of all the returning starters, but Herman is being given a free pass next year even though he is basically getting back the entire two deep?

Sorry, no. If Rivals recruiting numbers have any value at all, the last two classes, most of which have played or started since their first day on campus, gives us the talent to compete for and win the B12 next year. I am fine with saying its not a playoff roster, and its a mile from the Bama roster (as is everyone else). But this is a roster with no holes if its head coach and coordinators are as good as the players talent.

Strong came into a program that had a camp culture and declining talent base, especially on both lines. Herman came into a program that has a young, talented and experienced roster that needs coordinators on both sides of the ball that match their abilities.

Strong is inheriting a team that won 10 games with returning starters. Herman is inheriting a 5-7 team with returning starters. Big difference.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
Northwestern was founded in 1851 by John Evans, for whom the City of Evanston is named, and eight other lawyers, businessmen and Methodist leaders. Its founding purpose was to serve the Northwest Territory, an area that today includes the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and parts of Minnesota.
Ah, interesting. I've wondered. Northwestern Mutual is a client. I go to MKE a bunch and spend time in Chicago for that reason too. It's just funny how the frontier moves and leaves little growth rings.

So, if the team goes from consecutive 5-7 seasons to 8-4, you'll be pissed without, even without the specifics?

Nope. I never got into the absolute number game with Strong and I wont with Herman either. That's simplistic and not the way I look at life or football.

I have a higher opinion of our talent base then you and Anwar I guess. Which is weird since I base a big part of that on the fact that we kicked the B12's ass the last couple of years in recruiting. Plus, we had a high volume of recruits compared to the norm. Plus hardly any of them fell off the map like the norm. Plus most of them were starters or got a lot of PT. Many have gotten all B12 recognition. All that tells me that the talent is there. Charlie and his coordinators had to go because they failed to progress as they should have this season. So Herman has a pretty nice start to his career at Texas. I want to see us play like his teams did in their big wins, and not play like his ugly losses to SMU and Navy and Memphis. I recognize kids are going to lay a log once in a while.

No. 6 – I’m still very much on Team Shaka …

When I read his political views, I became a permanent member of NOT Team Shaka......

Not only do I not watch the basketball Horns, I don't read any articles written about them either. It's a bridge you didn't have to burn Shaka.
He should have kept his political views to himself, falling in with the Trump hates black people crowd is a mistake on his part.

Nope. I never got into the absolute number game with Strong and I wont with Herman either. That's simplistic and not the way I look at life or football.

I have a higher opinion of our talent base then you and Anwar I guess. Which is weird since I base a big part of that on the fact that we kicked the B12's ass the last couple of years in recruiting. Plus, we had a high volume of recruits compared to the norm. Plus hardly any of them fell off the map like the norm. Plus most of them were starters or got a lot of PT. Many have gotten all B12 recognition. All that tells me that the talent is there. Charlie and his coordinators had to go because they failed to progress as they should have this season. So Herman has a pretty nice start to his career at Texas. I want to see us play like his teams did in their big wins, and not play like his ugly losses to SMU and Navy and Memphis. I recognize kids are going to lay a log once in a while.
Texas has a lot of talent. It id disorganized and not fully developed... clearly.

Reactions: LonghornBuc
He should have kept his political views to himself, falling in with the Trump hates black people crowd is a mistake on his part.
I'm not sure how comfortable I am with telling a black man who or what he should or should not keep or not keep with regards to his views on things happening in the world.

You can disagree with him with trying to silence him.

If his message had been, "I told our kids that they need to give Trump a chance and that he's not racist, but misunderstood,"... the reaction would have been quite different from many that took such a negative reaction to his words.

He's a human being. He felt what was on his heart and his player's hearts. WE can't pretend that those views don't exist because when we hear it, it makes us uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how comfortable I am with telling a black man who or what he should or should not keep or not keep with regards to his views on things happening in the world.

You can disagree with him with trying to silence him.

If his message had been, "I told our kids that they need to give Trump a chance and that he's not racist, but misunderstood,"... the reaction would have been quite different from many that took such a negative reaction to his words.

He's a human being. He felt what was on his heart and his player's hearts. WE can't pretend that those views don't exist because when we hear it, it makes us uncomfortable.
Give one example where Trump has done something racist . You won't find any. That's the rub, it can't be OK for black people to hate whites
just because they're white. Today's black people are way more prejudiced than their white counterparts. Riots in the streets, muggings by
angry black people against whites just because their candidate didn't get elected. If the reverse of this had happened when Obama got elected, can you imagine the outrage??
Shaka was out of line using his position as coach of the Longhorns to put forth his political view. Why exactly did "his" team feel betrayed?
Because a white guy got elected?? Put the shoe on the other foot, what would the narrative have been if our tennis coach had said "his"
team felt betrayed when Obama got elected?
We'll never have equality until everybody, white, black, red, yellow is viewed with the same eyes and held to the same standard. Right now
we don't have that. And until the sense of entitlement and being owed something goes away we won't have equality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT